[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Hi Roverdude, I have a request. Would you consider making a storage unit that can hold a small quantity of each resource? I find much of my time creating mining craft, and the rest of the supply chain is focused a lot on just configuring storage tanks when I'm pushing everything to planetary storage anyway. It would really be nice to have something that can just handle a very small amount of all the resources to facilitate transfers and keep part counts down. What do you think?

3 hours ago, nonono said:

Hi Roverdude, I have a request. Would you consider making a storage unit that can hold a small quantity of each resource? I find much of my time creating mining craft, and the rest of the supply chain is focused a lot on just configuring storage tanks when I'm pushing everything to planetary storage anyway. It would really be nice to have something that can just handle a very small amount of all the resources to facilitate transfers and keep part counts down. What do you think?

Your best bet honestly is to make your own.  With a simple modulemanager config you can create a part using an existing part with whatever config you want.

46 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Your best bet honestly is to make your own.  With a simple modulemanager config you can create a part using an existing part with whatever config you want.

You have a good point, but I have extremely limited knowledge on how to write config files. I would need a good bit of help to do it.

22 minutes ago, nonono said:

You have a good point, but I have extremely limited knowledge on how to write config files. I would need a good bit of help to do it.

It really is not hard.  And once you figure it out its super useful to tweak your game how you like it.

As an example you could tweak the existing containers to do what you want.  you'd have to figure out the appropriate amounts as to not be overpowered.  In fact the existing configs have the perfect example.  Here is a snippet.  There is already one config in the kontainers that allow 2 materials, exoticminerals and rare minerals, separated by a comma.  You could literally append a config at the end of the line with all resources separated by commas and you would have a switch to do that.  You would have to adjust the other lines (resource amounts, initial resource amounts, etc accordingly).  There would have to be some other tweaks to the entire config for the texture as well, but I'll leave that to you.  Via some careful reading of the existing config and a bit of trial and error I'd bet you will have what you desire in under an hour.

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = FSfuelSwitch
        resourceNames =MetallicOre;Uraninite;Substrate;Minerals;Karbonite;ExoticMinerals,RareMetals;MaterialKits;Metals;Polymers;Supplies;Ore;Machinery;Recyclables;SpecializedParts;Fertilizer;Hydrates;Gypsum;Dirt;Silicates;Silicon;RefinedExotics;ColonySupplies;Organics;Rock
        resourceAmounts = 2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;1000,1000;2000;2000;2000;2000;400;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000;2000
        initialResourceAmounts = 0;0;0;0;0;0,0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        tankCost = 3520;1400;600;1600;640;300000;4000;28480;16000;5000;8;31600;14000;64000;4000;1000;20;600;20;40;500000;30000;1000;0.02
        basePartMass = 0.25
        tankMass = 0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        hasGUI = false
    }

Edited by goldenpsp

I apologize if this is explained somewhere. I couldn't find it in the MKS guide or when searching google and this topic.

In the PDU Control Panel there is a gear next to "On". Clicking that brings up another small panel with 9 icons. I can't find any documentation of what they do. Experimenting with them doesn't seem to change anything with the power generation that I can see. Granted, I am in initial testing and do not have a base or other craft/parts nearby.

Anyone know what they do?

Is there any way to save the configuration for things like the strip miners and the refinery parts? It is really, REALLY irritating to fully configure a refinery or production craft in the VAB only to have everything reset to default when leaving the VAB even with the craft saved. Really takes the enjoyment out of this mod when I have to reconfigure the entire production chain on the vehicle every single time. :retrograde::retrograde::(

14 minutes ago, nonono said:

Is there any way to save the configuration for things like the strip miners and the refinery parts? It is really, REALLY irritating to fully configure a refinery or production craft in the VAB only to have everything reset to default when leaving the VAB even with the craft saved. Really takes the enjoyment out of this mod when I have to reconfigure the entire production chain on the vehicle every single time. :retrograde::retrograde::(

I just tested and my configs stay when I launch...

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

I just tested and my configs stay when I launch...

Having reread my statement I realize I wasn't terribly clear on what I was trying to get across. Try configuring a drill, take it to the launch pad, then revert back to the VAB with the vessel. That's when it resets, along with opening a saved pre-configured craft after leaving the VAB. I've been working a refinery using B9-HX parts (it's HUGE, I've stuffed it with a full manufacturing line that will produce everything), when I save it and return to work on it later the entire production line configuration resets to default. 

15 minutes ago, nonono said:

Having reread my statement I realize I wasn't terribly clear on what I was trying to get across. Try configuring a drill, take it to the launch pad, then revert back to the VAB with the vessel. That's when it resets, along with opening a saved pre-configured craft after leaving the VAB. I've been working a refinery using B9-HX parts (it's HUGE, I've stuffed it with a full manufacturing line that will produce everything), when I save it and return to work on it later the entire production line configuration resets to default. 

I just tested that as well.  Simple vessel in career mode.  Just slapped on a MEU-500 drill.  changed the three drill separators.  Launched, verified the changes were still there,  Reverted to the VAB and the changes are still there...

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

I just tested that as well.  Simple vessel in career mode.  Just slapped on a MEU-500 drill.  changed the three drill separators.  Launched, verified the changes were still there,  Reverted to the VAB and the changes are still there...

Well then, that's interesting... Thank you for taking the time to check that. I wonder what could possibly be causing my game to behave like that. :huh:

16 minutes ago, nonono said:

Well then, that's interesting... Thank you for taking the time to check that. I wonder what could possibly be causing my game to behave like that. :huh:

Maybe make sure your save isn't messed up?  Start a fresh game and test in that?

On 10/11/2018 at 6:50 PM, goldenpsp said:

But IIRC the academy "trains" other Kerbals by passing along XP from things they had done, aside from flag planting.  So in the case of a rescued Kerbal she is 5 star Kerbal but her XP history is blank. So it seems she would not have any XP items to "pass" along to the trainees.

If you peek in the save file there's one event giving all the XP (I thought it showed up in-game as "rescued at level 5"). I think the Akademy passes along the XP from an entire flight at once as long as the student is under level 3 (I don't remember anything about skipping flags). My plan for breaking the level limit with a bit more effort is get the teachers to level 5 on their first flight.

There might be one or two people who will be happy to hear that I tracked down the cause of the GUI issues that sometimes occur with Orbital Logistics. Just submitted a PR with the fix. :) I tacked an enhancement onto the PR as well to show the available amount of TransportCredits in the part action window (aka right-click menu).

Since the game patched to  1.5: “Dressed for Success” I can't equip any tools (spanner or drill) in my Kerbals hands. So I can't attach or unattach anything. Is I have googled for a solution but found nothing. Anyone else having this problem? or got a solution?   

Most likeley something crucial has changed and kis and or module manager stopped working.

As far i know mks doesnt use equippable stuff by itself.

I would suggest downgrading to 1.4.5 or your previous version for a few days.

5 hours ago, Choc113 said:

Since the game patched to  1.5: “Dressed for Success” I can't equip any tools (spanner or drill) in my Kerbals hands. So I can't attach or unattach anything. Is I have googled for a solution but found nothing. Anyone else having this problem? or got a solution?   

That is going to be an issue with KIS/KAS, not MKS :)

On 10/13/2018 at 5:16 PM, nonono said:

More than likely, you actually don't want to do this, since mining doesn't actually occur "in background" but instead happens as a catch up mechanic.

During catch up, the push to planetary storage only happens once per game day, not every time a container fills.  What that means, is that if you have a drill producing 5000 units of a resource per day, and you only have storage for 100 units, the storage will fill, but not push to planetary storage until the beginning of the next day.  In this example, you would be wasting 4900 units of that resource.

For planetary logistics to run smoothly, you need a single container that is large enough to hold 6 hours of production plus half the size of the tank. (when storage pushes to production, it only pushes half the contents)

So, in order to properly push everything mined to planetary logistics, without loss, a 5,000 unit/day drill needs 10,000 units of storage, in a single tank.

That is, unless there's been a major change to the way PL works that I've missed. 

So a quick heads up!

There's a new release being bundled up - but a slight delay as we do a few extra bits.  First, thanks to @DoktorKrogg for digging into OrbLog and issues with swappable bays :)  We just have to wrap the changes up  before we can push the main release out.  

We're also adding in a few other things.  Specifically, new config options to disable the costs of swapping converters (which should help with a lot of those 'oops!' moments), and a sliding scale for the cost of expanding modules.  Since this will end up violating the laws of physics, it's really there for troubleshooting and experimenting, but if you're cool with stuff from nothing and want a bit easier play experience, go for it.

The bad news is that because bays got reworked, the save is going to be a breaking one... i.e. all of your bays are going to be messed up, and your converters shut down.  Good news is that it's super easy to mitigate this on an existing save.

1. Before upgrading, visit all of your bases so everything catches up!
  2. If you have USI-LS, go the the tracking center and turn off life support penalties (in case your supplies were reliant on converters)
  3. Upgrade!
  4. In your settings, turn on the Kolonization option for free bay swapping.
  5. Correct all of your base parts to use correct bays.
  6. Turn back on life support penalties once you are sure your hab/supply numbers are where they need to be.
  7. ????
  8. Profit!

Side note - I am also working on a change to USI-LS to allow for 'resetting' a Kerbal, but not sure if that is in this release.

Also semi-related - there will be (very shortly) a 1.5.x pre-release of the constellation available.  Note that it does not yet have all of the changes in it, and the save-breaky ones are not in it yet, but it will let you play while we sort the last bits out.  It will also be the version I stream with tonight :)

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Also semi-related - there will be (very shortly) a 1.5.x pre-release of the constellation available.  Note that it does not yet have all of the changes in it, and the save-breaky ones are not in it yet, but it will let you play while we sort the last bits out.  It will also be the version I stream with tonight :)

Thank you for all the work you're putting in to this.  This mod remains the reason I keep coming back to KSP.

Love the option to disable cost for swapping converters, as it mitigates the issue of not being able to choose your config before building a part with OSE.  Will it apply to drills as well?

Do you still stream on twitch, or have you changed platforms?

31 minutes ago, Baladain said:

Thank you for all the work you're putting in to this.  This mod remains the reason I keep coming back to KSP.

Love the option to disable cost for swapping converters, as it mitigates the issue of not being able to choose your config before building a part with OSE.  Will it apply to drills as well?

Do you still stream on twitch, or have you changed platforms?

It will apply to drills and converters (i.e. pretty much anything that is swappable).  And I still use Twitch, just not in a while due to a lot of Squad activity :)