[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

1 hour ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

Fellow Kerbalnauts,

I may have encountered a bug somewhere in the now constellation update.  I am docking two ships in Kerbin LKO one with kerbals the other a drone ship.  Both ships have sufficient supplies and at the moment of dock all supplies in both ships goes zero, and both kerbals become tourist.  I reverted to the older version of usi-ls and tried to dock again with similar results so the bug is somewhere else. 

I am running a heavily modded game, so very likely this is caused by another mod, and will run another test and provide logs on a stock + MKS version tomorrow.  Has anyone else run in to this with the update?

I had something similar to that, When I klawed an old Med-bay in orbit(left over from a rescue), my supplies suddenly wen to 0 like the kerbals consumed supplies for the entire period it was abandoned.

I think the issue was supposed to be fixed, but I never verified it myself.

37 minutes ago, OldSedan said:

What's the deal with MKS part maintenance? I've seen references to it in-game and on the github wiki but can't seem to find an explanation of the mechanic. 

Machinery will slowly be used up.

If an engineer does the 'perform maintenance' action on a part and has access to a warehouse with machinery in it, he will re-fill the machinery on the part he is doing 'maintenance' on from the warehouse.

You an have this happen automatically if you have an engineer in a workshop or assembly plant as well.

TL;DR version: 'Maintenance' is refilling machinery from a warehouse.

I updated the Manufacturing page of the wiki to reflect 0.50.9, I also updated all the rates to include the hourly and per-second costs in energy and raw materials.  The USI-LS Converters page has also been updated to have per-second costs for raw materials along with the existing per-day costs.  (and this time I did not skip the Organics and Nuclear processing tables)

1 hour ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

Fellow Kerbalnauts,

I may have encountered a bug somewhere in the now constellation update.  I am docking two ships in Kerbin LKO one with kerbals the other a drone ship.  Both ships have sufficient supplies and at the moment of dock all supplies in both ships goes zero, and both kerbals become tourist.  I reverted to the older version of usi-ls and tried to dock again with similar results so the bug is somewhere else. 

I am running a heavily modded game, so very likely this is caused by another mod, and will run another test and provide logs on a stock + MKS version tomorrow.  Has anyone else run in to this with the update?

Well did the docking in pure stock+MKS no supply issue, guess I will keep up the bug hunt.  Must be another mod conflicting...

What's the shortest path to testing Planetary Logistics? I'm trying to prove out a design, but I can't seem to get combination of drills, Pioneer modules, pilots, and containers to "push" materials into the Planetary Logistics UI. Does that only happen if there is something on the other end "pulling"? For my example, I have a small rover drilling rig driving off the runway and pulling in Karbonite and Hydrates.I was able to get local logistics to work at under 2km with a Karbonite ISRU, related tanks, and a pilot on the launch pad, but not any further than 2km.

28 minutes ago, Wiseman said:

What's the shortest path to testing Planetary Logistics? I'm trying to prove out a design, but I can't seem to get combination of drills, Pioneer modules, pilots, and containers to "push" materials into the Planetary Logistics UI. Does that only happen if there is something on the other end "pulling"? For my example, I have a small rover drilling rig driving off the runway and pulling in Karbonite and Hydrates.I was able to get local logistics to work at under 2km with a Karbonite ISRU, related tanks, and a pilot on the launch pad, but not any further than 2km.

I always test putting things on teh grounds of the KSC (planetary logistics at least used to work on kerbin). and use Hyperedit to fill the tanks, simulating the drills working.

@WisemanYou need a logistics module, not a pioneer module.

I find that if I have a pilot on board and a full warehousing module, I often lose 50% to planetary storage before I can lift off.

This mostly happens with collapsed inflatable storage modules where I let the collapsed storage module start full(for the collapsed state) when I am taking a logistics module somewhere else.

To test logistics I suggest this: Duna logistics module, Mk1 capsule(with pilot), inflatable storage, inflated and filled with some resource.

Send it to the pad and see if your storage is still full.(if it is, double check if it has warehousing enabled)

I'm not sure if this counts as a bug or not, but I notice that the new Resource Lode appears in the tech tree's Start node, with no unlock cost (not even zero).  You can unlock it, then find it in the VAB or SPH by using the advanced filter to find all surface-attachable parts, and put one on a ship.

1 hour ago, tomf said:

I have created a github issue with a save file attached from a new install of ksp 1.2.2. This save has the same issue I was experiencing yesterday where the deploy option was missing.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/issues/1083

You need to turn on Warehouse on your Kontainer. Engineers will only pull resources from Enabled Kontainers

KRNbJr0.jpg

8 hours ago, OldSedan said:

What's the deal with MKS part maintenance? I've seen references to it in-game and on the github wiki but can't seem to find an explanation of the mechanic. 

For now, it's disabled.  The mechanic actually still exists in the game, it just currently doesn't have any effect.  It used a hidden resource (SpareParts?) to emulate "Wear" on a part, which would reduce its effect as it got more worn.  Wear could be repaired by application of MaterialKits and an engineer.

RD disabled it a few versions ago, and hasn't yet decided if he'll bring it back or not.

5 hours ago, Terwin said:

I find that if I have a pilot on board and a full warehousing module, I often lose 50% to planetary storage before I can lift off.

This mostly happens with collapsed inflatable storage modules where I let the collapsed storage module start full(for the collapsed state) when I am taking a logistics module somewhere else.

To test logistics I suggest this: Duna logistics module, Mk1 capsule(with pilot), inflatable storage, inflated and filled with some resource.

Send it to the pad and see if your storage is still full.(if it is, double check if it has warehousing enabled)

FYI - the Tundra 250 combines logistics and the pioneer into a single package!

5 hours ago, Wyzard said:

I'm not sure if this counts as a bug or not, but I notice that the new Resource Lode appears in the tech tree's Start node, with no unlock cost (not even zero).  You can unlock it, then find it in the VAB or SPH by using the advanced filter to find all surface-attachable parts, and put one on a ship.

This would be a bug!  Can someone log a Github issue please?  

4 hours ago, Aaron Also said:

Thank You for recreating this. Ive been scratching my head for a couple days trying to figure out where the support thread went. 

Hopefully we get the original thread back!  And thank you by the way for the coffee fund :D

4 hours ago, Tabris said:

@RoverDude

does the new Resource Lode need to be attached to the sifter to be harvested or will the logistic functions work?

It by design needs to be attached to the vessel that contains the sifter.  Use a claw :)

3 hours ago, tomf said:

I have created a github issue with a save file attached from a new install of ksp 1.2.2. This save has the same issue I was experiencing yesterday where the deploy option was missing.

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/issues/1083

Saw below this got sorted - awesome :)

1 hour ago, tsaven said:

For now, it's disabled.  The mechanic actually still exists in the game, it just currently doesn't have any effect.  It used a hidden resource (SpareParts?) to emulate "Wear" on a part, which would reduce its effect as it got more worn.  Wear could be repaired by application of MaterialKits and an engineer.

RD disabled it a few versions ago, and hasn't yet decided if he'll bring it back or not.

For wear, yes.  It still is used to move machinery around as well as nuclear fuels.

FYI - doing some work on the next release, which is going to include a few nice changes to help fledgling colonies.

First is a new trait (the Scout) and a new effect (the ExplorerSkill).  Pilots will be explorers as well by default.  A Kerbal with the explorer skill is immune to all habitation effects in USI-LS, as they have a disregard for safety and comfort that is astounding even by Kerbal standards.

Second.  Hab Extenders (parts that consume Colony Supplies) will now respect hab modifiers.  So you can push down colony supply consumption as well.  This should make ark ships a bit easier to build out.

Lastly.  Any planet that can push it's Kolonization rating past 500% will be (officially) 'Kolonized', meaning any Kerbal on that body will no longer suffer home sickness provided there is at least 1 year of hab time available (i.e. I don't care how comfy someone is on their new world, nobody likes living in a box).

This will very likely be released as a patch this weekend :)

7 hours ago, Terwin said:

That did it, thank you! 

14 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Second.  Hab Extenders (parts that consume Colony Supplies) will now respect hab modifiers.  So you can push down colony supply consumption as well.  This should make ark ships a bit easier to build out.

Lastly.  Any planet that can push it's Kolonization rating past 500% will be (officially) 'Kolonized', meaning any Kerbal on that body will no longer suffer home sickness provided there is at least 1 year of hab time available (i.e. I don't care how comfy someone is on their new world, nobody likes living in a box).

At last, my dream of reasonably supporting colonies around the Sarnus system will become possible.

26 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

FYI - doing some work on the next release, which is going to include a few nice changes to help fledgling colonies.

First is a new trait (the Scout) and a new effect (the ExplorerSkill).  Pilots will be explorers as well by default.  A Kerbal with the explorer skill is immune to all habitation effects in USI-LS, as they have a disregard for safety and comfort that is astounding even by Kerbal standards.

That sounds amazing! How does Kolonization rating increase? Just by having kerbals on a planet in kolonization modules?

10 minutes ago, Wiseman said:

That sounds amazing! How does Kolonization rating increase? Just by having kerbals on a planet in kolonization modules?

Just by keeping Kerbals (pilots, Kolonists, and others with the Rep Boost effect) on a planet and alive and well.  So just by using MKS you will naturally raise up this value, and it is on a per-body basis.

3 minutes ago, notthebobo said:

How do I double-like this? :):)

:D

2 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

Done: #1084.

Thank you!

In other news, working with @allista on integration between MKS, Konstruction, and his marvelous Ground Construction mod.  The long term plan is to bundle this in, and have it be the standard for building vessels off-planet in MKS (i.e. replacing EL as the standard).  So we're hashing out where I can help, and what we need to adjust to make for a really nice, seamless integration :)

0.50.10 - 2017.01.07
--------------------
Added the ExplorerSkill effect and Scout trait.  Explorers (which include Scouts and Pilots) are immune from habitation effects in USI-LS.
Any Kerbal on a planet that has a Kolonization level of 500% and is in a vessel with a habitation rating of 1 year or more will be immune to habitation effects, as this world is now 'Kolonized'.
Habitation Extenders will take into account habitation multipliers, making ark ships easier.
Fixed an issue where ResourceLodes could be added to craft :)
No more flag scrapping! (Thanks MadMerlyn!)
Several profile/CLS fixes for tundra modules from Kerbas-ad-astra
Added an attach node to the mini drill (Thanks MadMerlyn!)

*NOTE - looks like I accidentally pushed this without adding Scouts to the Kolonization menu, so you will be stuck with pilots for now.  Will update this next patch*

5 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

0.50.10 - 2017.01.07
--------------------
Added the ExplorerSkill effect and Scout trait.  Explorers (which include Scouts and Pilots) are immune from habitation effects in USI-LS.
Any Kerbal on a planet that has a Kolonization level of 500% and is in a vessel with a habitation rating of 1 year or more will be immune to habitation effects, as this world is now 'Kolonized'.
Habitation Extenders will take into account habitation multipliers, making ark ships easier.
Fixed an issue where ResourceLodes could be added to craft :)
No more flag scrapping! (Thanks MadMerlyn!)
Several profile/CLS fixes for tundra modules from Kerbas-ad-astra
Added an attach node to the mini drill (Thanks MadMerlyn!)

*NOTE - looks like I accidentally pushed this without adding Scouts to the Kolonization menu, so you will be stuck with pilots for now.  Will update this next patch*

"So guys, I'm working on a new release that might show up sometime this weekend" *Releases patch an hour later*

RoverDude, you are awesome.

56 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Just by keeping Kerbals (pilots, Kolonists, and others with the Rep Boost effect) on a planet and alive and well.  So just by using MKS you will naturally raise up this value, and it is on a per-body basis.

:D

Thank you!

In other news, working with @allista on integration between MKS, Konstruction, and his marvelous Ground Construction mod.  The long term plan is to bundle this in, and have it be the standard for building vessels off-planet in MKS (i.e. replacing EL as the standard).  So we're hashing out where I can help, and what we need to adjust to make for a really nice, seamless integration :)

And here I was all set to write a some MM patches for exactly that today.  (As well as putting in a Github issue for the thing I mentioned yesterday.)  Nice to see.  :wink:

From a quick survey, my thought was the only thing (besides making the workshop parts into Ground Construction workshops) that's really needed is the ability to use MaterialKits instead of Metal as a building material.  (The stuff SpecialziedParts is used for would be included in the construction kit.)  My thought had been to set up Ground Construction as a mid-game construction mod - early off-world construction being made mostly by assembling stuff from home - and then to have EL be an end-game construction mod, for once you've set up a full industrial chain off-world.  (And had practice with Ground Construction.)