RoverDude

[1.7.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

Recommended Posts

I'm a bit confused by how Kolonists generating funds, science and rep works. What modules are used to generate/collect these? Does the bonus depend on Kerbal level or body landed/orbiting? Also, I see the various items in the Wiki and KSPedia referecing Kolonization research and levels, but I can t find an explanation of what these are. Also, on the Kolonization dashboard, what does the number parantheses mean?

Edited by dlrk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, can someone explain why I don't get electric charge supplied to one of the vessels in my base ? I have two Scout 200-Power Packs nearby (one is visible in the picture below), each one with an engineer onboard. Info text on the generator says "PDU Range: 500m". Shouldn't be electric charge supplied to this vessel ?

Thanks

1oHYVGu.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maraz said:

Hello, can someone explain why I don't get electric charge supplied to one of the vessels in my base ? I have two Scout 200-Power Packs nearby (one is visible in the picture below), each one with an engineer onboard. Info text on the generator says "PDU Range: 500m". Shouldn't be electric charge supplied to this vessel ?

Thanks

Is there a receiver on the vessel?  I don't see one.  Power isn't just sent to all nearby vessels - just all nearby vessels able to receive it.  Another Power Pack (even without fuel), or a power coupler, even a fuel cell will have the receiver.  (Among others.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DStaal said:

Is there a receiver on the vessel?  I don't see one.  Power isn't just sent to all nearby vessels - just all nearby vessels able to receive it.  Another Power Pack (even without fuel), or a power coupler, even a fuel cell will have the receiver.  (Among others.)

Thanks, I was not aware that was needed ... I read the Wiki but I guess it's not updated. So I will redesign my vessel, luckily I have a backup persistence file I can restart from.

Thanks for support

Edited by Maraz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Theflyingfox said:

Is there a stand-alone parts pack?

If you're desperate to get just the parts for whatever reason, delete the USITools folder from gamedata and the KolonyTools DLL from the UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS folder. This will brick all the parts and I am not responsible for any other damage it may do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 4:25 PM, dlrk said:

I'm a bit confused by how Kolonists generating funds, science and rep works. What modules are used to generate/collect these? Does the bonus depend on Kerbal level or body landed/orbiting? Also, I see the various items in the Wiki and KSPedia referecing Kolonization research and levels, but I can t find an explanation of what these are. Also, on the Kolonization dashboard, what does the number parantheses mean?

Collecting colony rewards is done from a Pioneer module.

The value produced is based on the number of Kerbals with a given bonus type multiplied by the size of the vessel they are in(MKS part count?)

As the Kolonist profession has all three bonus types(and they are cheaper than any other type of Kerbal), they are the preferred type for 'filler' kerbals after you have a pilot(for logistics), Scientist(for farming), and an Engineer(for manufacturing, although multiple engineers may be wanted for GC or OSE workshop) .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 2:24 PM, voicey99 said:

You should probably ask this in the Ground Construction thread. You might get an answer here, but over there they have a much higher chance of being able to help you.

OK, thanks, I'll repost there.

I'm using the EL for now until the GC gets updated in the pack, I removed everything but the surveying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Terwin said:

Collecting colony rewards is done from a Pioneer module.

The value produced is based on the number of Kerbals with a given bonus type multiplied by the size of the vessel they are in(MKS part count?)

As the Kolonist profession has all three bonus types(and they are cheaper than any other type of Kerbal), they are the preferred type for 'filler' kerbals after you have a pilot(for logistics), Scientist(for farming), and an Engineer(for manufacturing, although multiple engineers may be wanted for GC or OSE workshop) .

Thanks! What's the number after the parantheses  For example, "100% (5)"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2018 at 11:23 AM, Terwin said:

Different MKS drills have different numbers of separators which can all be used at the same time.

1 for small drills, 2 for medium drills 6(?) for the industrial strip-miner.

If you are only using one of them at a time on a medium drill, then you are only using half of your drilling capacity with that part.

Actually changing a separator to collect a different resource always costs mk/sp when outside of the VAB/SPH (and requires a space-walk)

Yeah I was working with the small drills so only 1.  Can you explain what the "resource=>resource" setting does in the VAB then again?  The first one is obviously the active drill resource, but what does the second selection do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, mavric1298 said:

Yeah I was working with the small drills so only 1.  Can you explain what the "resource=>resource" setting does in the VAB then again?  The first one is obviously the active drill resource, but what does the second selection do?

The trick here is that the UI works the same way in either the VAB or out in the world: You have two buttons, one which allows you to cycle which drill head to switch to, the other to perform the switch.  (And you can switch through all of them one by one, if you want by just pressing the switch button over and over.)

The 'resource1=>resource2' button, if it's the one I think you mean, is the button that actually performs the switch.  You switch from the current resource1, to the intended resource2, directly.  The other button allows you to switch what 'resource2' is.

The reason for this is that when you *aren't* in the VAB, switching drill heads costs MK and SP.  And you obviously don't want to pay that cost more than you have to - so you don't want to cycle through options, you want to go *directly* to the option you want.  So having the two buttons allows you to choose which resource you want to switch the drill to, and then switch to it.

In the VAB there isn't a cost - but the mechanics are otherwise exactly the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any ideas/experiences about how to assemble a large Tundra base on the Mun?

Possibilities I have thought about are:

- Ground Construction of the whole base

- Flying each module on Mun and then assemble them via KAS pipes

Has anyone tried using Konstruction docking ports ? That seems difficult to me on Mun, you need wheels on your Tundra modules or a large crane to slightly move modules in order to make them dock... seems cumbersome... any other ideas ?

I know that vessels need not be connected, but connected bases look cooler :)

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Maraz said:

Any ideas/experiences about how to assemble a large Tundra base on the Mun?

Possibilities I have thought about are:

- Ground Construction of the whole base

- Flying each module on Mun and then assemble them via KAS pipes

Has anyone tried using Konstruction docking ports ? That seems difficult to me on Mun, you need wheels on your Tundra modules or a large crane to slightly move modules in order to make them dock... seems cumbersome... any other ideas ?

I know that vessels need not be connected, but connected bases look cooler :)

Thanks

I usually fly the first few modules there, and then recycle/rebuilt/re-arrange them using ELP for building the GC's DIY kits. And either KAS/KIS assembling the modules, or use Konstruktion ports to weld stuff together. It all depends on the size and weight of stuff.

 

One of the first things i ship in, is a small Karibu utility rover, it usually have Cockpit, Passange or Crew module, LF/O fuel, a flatbed in the back with a small/medium size crane, some KIS-storage and winches, connectors, tools. And most important, it's remote controllable even if my crew goes tourist-mode.

This one is for dragging, unflipping, docking small stuff together and basic survival. 

 

After this, i usually have on-site production of stuff, and can start to build the more permanent base, storage etc.
I either repurpose the starterbase into the permanent base, or recycle it for scrap parts.

 

Simplest way i ship in modules if from top: Salamander pod, MKS Module, the white landing-frame with kis-storage. Radially attached fueltanks and engine. The FL800 is usually more then enough.

Then using flexo-tubes to dock the white landingframe together.

Example; https://imgur.com/XFl0h5F and https://imgur.com/vK4gg2N
Hope this helps somewhat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, mrstoned said:

I usually fly the first few modules there, and then recycle/rebuilt/re-arrange them using ELP for building the GC's DIY kits. And either KAS/KIS assembling the modules, or use Konstruktion ports to weld stuff together. It all depends on the size and weight of stuff.

 

One of the first things i ship in, is a small Karibu utility rover, it usually have Cockpit, Passange or Crew module, LF/O fuel, a flatbed in the back with a small/medium size crane, some KIS-storage and winches, connectors, tools. And most important, it's remote controllable even if my crew goes tourist-mode.

This one is for dragging, unflipping, docking small stuff together and basic survival. 

 

After this, i usually have on-site production of stuff, and can start to build the more permanent base, storage etc.
I either repurpose the starterbase into the permanent base, or recycle it for scrap parts.

 

Simplest way i ship in modules if from top: Salamander pod, MKS Module, the white landing-frame with kis-storage. Radially attached fueltanks and engine. The FL800 is usually more then enough.

Then using flexo-tubes to dock the white landingframe together.

Example; https://imgur.com/XFl0h5F and https://imgur.com/vK4gg2N
Hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks a lot, that surely helps. How do you build the crane on the Karibou rover ? Pics of that would surely help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Maraz said:

- Flying each module on Mun and then assemble them via KAS pipes

MKS was designed to eliminate the need for this. Why would you feel you need to connect anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Maraz said:

Any ideas/experiences about how to assemble a large Tundra base on the Mun?

Possibilities I have thought about are:

- Ground Construction of the whole base

- Flying each module on Mun and then assemble them via KAS pipes

Has anyone tried using Konstruction docking ports ? That seems difficult to me on Mun, you need wheels on your Tundra modules or a large crane to slightly move modules in order to make them dock... seems cumbersome... any other ideas ?

I know that vessels need not be connected, but connected bases look cooler :)

Thanks

I generally go in with a DIY kit with a 'starter base' which basically has everything I need to make material kits on-site(and the largest KIS container), then I use OSE Workshop to build additional components(starting with a second refinery so that I can also produce specialized parts, then usually lots of power/hab/etc).

In the near future I expect that additional module production will switch over to using the in-situ GC DIY kit production which is currently in beta testing.(Especially since I do not think OSE Workshop is updated yet).

A few months ago, I think I posted the exact contents of my usual starter-kit and a fairly detailed description of going from 3 launches(kit, MK, crew/portable workshop/starting hab) to a base that is ready to accept as many kolonists as you would like to send.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maraz said:

Thanks a lot, that surely helps. How do you build the crane on the Karibou rover ? Pics of that would surely help.

 

One old design from 1.3.1, https://imgur.com/eEaxvia
It's a long-reach version for loading light payloads on other rovers, explorers, moving empty shells, tubes etc  using IR for the crane.

 

This one; https://imgur.com/PapwUwM https://imgur.com/WrtiTE9
Is a smaller one without bells n whistles, but have ~2k dV and TWR ~8 on Mun with large KIS-kontainers and dockingability plus a grabber for moving resourcelodes.

 

If i know i need a rover for something special, i tweak and customize them with equipment and tanks/storage for emergency use.

I like to keep HAB/Home time atleast around 10-12 days with full crew, so i can rescue my hardworking funny dudes :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't a great shot of it, but in the foreground you can see a Konstruction build utility vehicle in this:

screenshot_2017-05-20--12-58-59.png

The main base itself was sent up in about half a dozen pieces and assembled from there using Konstruction ports, with some KIS usage where needed.

For reference, here's how that base started:

screenshot_2017-01-25--17-59-54.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2018 at 11:07 AM, Maraz said:

Thanks a lot, that surely helps. How do you build the crane on the Karibou rover ? Pics of that would surely help.

 

Example of a starter base assembled with a help of KAS. That little yellow bug is the helper rover with two PAL magnets to eliminate need for more Kerbals to lift heavy parts. It's a little bit of a hack, I know, but it's my game and my rules :P

As you can see, I ship a vessel with prefabricated modules packed in such a way, that it's stable to fly (I was using MJ for that pinpoint landing near first base, to be honest). On site I just park PAL helper rover near by and then start to build new base from that prefabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to make this mod compatible with the KSTS mod ?

Every time i use KSTS to bring fresh crewmen from kerbin their USI habitation and supplies timers don't get properly reset and more than once my kerbals died. Sometimes kerbals are transported from the surface of Kerbin to a ship in orbit with 2 habitation days left or none at all (they go straight to toursts). Needles to say that the ship in orbit had much more habitation than 2 days.

Undocking and flying away to 150m+ and then redocking seems to reset the values but that's the hastle i wanted to avoid by installing KSTS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nicky21 said:

Is there a way to make this mod compatible with the KSTS mod ?

Every time i use KSTS to bring fresh crewmen from kerbin their USI habitation and supplies timers don't get properly reset and more than once my kerbals died. Sometimes kerbals are transported from the surface of Kerbin to a ship in orbit with 2 habitation days left or none at all (they go straight to toursts). Needles to say that the ship in orbit had much more habitation than 2 days.

Undocking and flying away to 150m+ and then redocking seems to reset the values but that's the hastle i wanted to avoid by installing KSTS.

 

A few things.  the problem isn't with MKS but actually USI-LS, so this isn't really the correct thread.  But more importantly KSTS clearly states in the OP that it is incompatible with USI-LS Because "[KSTS] this mod skips the usual launch phase, any mod which depends on this might not work correctly"

So it would probably be more appropriate to ask -MM- in the KSTS thread if he has plans to fix this incompatibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is a plan for Ground Construction 2 - Independence Day! ?

I really want to use the feature:

Build DIY Kits themselves: make you colony independent, produce your own kits from scratch using blueprints and raw materials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, elbuglione@gmail.com said:

there is a plan for Ground Construction 2 - Independence Day! ?

I really want to use the feature:

There's already a PR with GC2 that is ready for merge into MKS repo.

Just wait for the next MKS release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roverdude, I think you've messed up Ground construction files a bit. Using that blunded Ground Construction files DIY kits do not work but when i downloaded it from ground construstion site on this forum it worked.

P.S. Sorry for my english but it is not my native language. I hope you understand what I said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.