[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

2 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Yes but that pilot still needs supplies, and can't, reset science experiments, perform maintenance, use KAS, gain science, botany, agronmony, medical, rep, funds, drill, convertor, repair, biology, geology or logistics bonuses.

If your playing a Kolonisation game then they aren't OP. IMO they'd only be OP in a Stock + Life Support Scenario.

Of course, I know they need supplies, but living space weighs a lot, so using a Mk1 Command Pod really makes sense in such a scenario. And before you can even start building colonies, you are going to have a lot of these one-off missions where you don't really need botany or logistics.

@dboi88 Did some testing and it appears you can stop the oscillations by launching the craft with weight transfer enabled on the central anchorhub or turning the autostrut mode on the two middle hab modules to heaviest part.

While i'm here I might also ask why inflatable hab modules like them need machinery to function but fixed ones don't.

In a shocking and unforeseen turn of events, I've actually landed a pioneer module on the moon and the Kerbals inside haven't died yet! In order to keep them not dead, I'm preparing to send a Tundra agricultural module and some fertilizer up there. So, my question:

What are the specific differences between a biologist's and a farmer's fields of expertise? I read that biologists work with simple greenhouses and farmers with advanced agricultural modules, but I'm unclear where that line is drawn. If you have an agricultural module running the basic conversion that the Nom-O-Matics can do, is that considered a greenhouse? I'm trying to work out which type of Kerbal to send.

Edited by billybob579

4 minutes ago, billybob579 said:

What are the specific differences between a biologist's and a farmer's fields of expertise?

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I'm sure it's Simple greenhouses = Supplies, Advanced Modules = Organics

@voicey99 I won't use autostruts as that's massive Kraken bate in it's own right. But your weight transfer tips works perfectly. I can get back to 50.10.0 without destroying my bases now!

@RoverDude Hopefully the fact that weight transfer stops the wild oscillating helps track down what is causing the issue.

25 minutes ago, billybob579 said:

What are the specific differences between a biologist's and a farmer's fields of expertise? I read that biologists work with simple greenhouses and farmers with advanced agricultural modules, but I'm unclear where that line is drawn. If you have an agricultural module running the basic conversion that the Nom-O-Matics can do, is that considered a greenhouse? I'm trying to work out which type of Kerbal to send.

This table in the Wiki may help.

3 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

They were taken out long ago.  

Hmm, I was just wondering about that myself, as I'm getting ready to build my first Mun base and I want to drill for fuel.  What do people normally do for that?  I'm planning on just putting a Convert-O-Tron 125 on top of a Ranger hub, but that'll look kinda weird.

3 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

Hmm, I was just wondering about that myself, as I'm getting ready to build my first Mun base and I want to drill for fuel.  What do people normally do for that?  I'm planning on just putting a Convert-O-Tron 125 on top of a Ranger hub, but that'll look kinda weird.

Ore.

Really the only part in MKS that made fuel was (IIRC) the Fuel refinery, which was a large MKS part.  It turned water into fuel.  It existed prior to 1.0 and @RoverDude added it as an alternative to make fuel without having to install another resource mod such as Kethane or Karbonite.  With the advent of 1.0 and Ore as a stock resource this part became largely moot, as you could make fuel without needing another mod, as it was in the stock game.

11 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Ore.

I know about ore. :wink:  What I mean is, there's no ore-to-fuel converter that's designed as an MKS Ranger attachment (like the crusher or regolith sifter).  I can use the stock ones, no problem — like I said, I'll just stick the 1.25m converter on top of a Ranger hub — but that'll look a bit awkward, so I was wondering if that's how everyone else does it.

Edited by Wyzard

16 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

I know about ore. :wink:  What I mean is, there's no ore-to-fuel converter that's designed as an MKS Ranger attachment (like the crusher or regolith sifter).  I can use the stock ones, no problem — like I said, I'll just stick the 1.25m converter on top of a Ranger hub — but that'll look a bit awkward, so I was wondering if that's how everyone else does it.

Of course you know about ore.  But I was literally answering your " What do people normally do for that?" question.

If you meant you wanted to know in more detail.  I pretty much always send an unmanned ore miner/fuel converter ahead of any manned mission.  I know it isn't as efficient, but especially on farther bodies it isn't as critical as the miner can have a long time to make fuel while waiting for the next launch window.

Edited by goldenpsp

16 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

I can use the stock ones, no problem — like I said, I'll just stick the 1.25m converter on top of a Ranger hub — but that'll look a bit awkward, so I was wondering if that's how everyone else does it.

I'm trying this one using the Karibou multihub, engines, and landers, plus the Convert0o0tron 250 with a 1.25 nuclear reactor for power.

@notthebobo, looks nice!  I was planning on starting out with a stationary base built from Ranger parts, but thinking about it, a Karibou with big drills would probably make more sense for the fuel mining.  I can follow up later with a base for gypsum drilling and agroponics, which does have dedicated MKS parts.

3 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

If someone logs a github issue I can make you a ranger-sized ore converter :P

That'd be pretty awesome.  :)  It'd be a good match for the new attachment node on the stock MiniDrill, which was meant pretty much specifically for mounting them on Ranger trusses.

I found some resource nodes with my pioneer modules, so I thought I would send up a Karibou Rover to collect them for processing at my base.

Apparently putting a Klaw on the back of a < 10 ton rover is not an effective means of transporting a 125 ton nodule(but it does make a very effective parking brake).

I am getting the impression that I either need a rover with 9 resource tanks(to cover all harvestable resources other than dirt) and a sifter so that I can process it in place, or I need to send up something large and folding with the PAL parts if I am to actually move these things...

Has anyone successfully collected/harvested these nodules yet?

Note: it seems like you find one every time you search with your pioneer module, so I expect the planned cost to use these nodules is either lots of round-trips with a rover, or some sort of very large collection rover that can actually lift the things(and presumably, once you can manage that, the boost from the nodules are not that big of a deal any more)

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

@Terwin, I haven't tried this, but just a thought:  could you use a KAS winch and anchor to pull the rover along?  Or anchor the rover in place and use a winch and grappling hook to pull the resource node toward it?

I'd be happy to find any of them new nodes/lodes .. or I'm misunderstanding. These look like rocks, right?

10 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

I'd be happy to find any of them new nodes/lodes .. or I'm misunderstanding. These look like rocks, right?

You do a search with a pioneer module and one will populate within a couple km of your base.  Yes they look like large rocks.  I get the impression that they are akin to landed Asteroids, but with more limited usage.

Just now, Terwin said:

You do a search with a pioneer module and one will populate within a couple km of your base.  Yes they look like large rocks.  I get the impression that they are akin to landed Asteroids, but with more limited usage.

I assume they're visible before you search with a pioneer, but become usable when found. I haven't setup any base on Mun even yet in 1.2.2 (had to deal with massive asteroids that threatened Kerbin :P)

1 minute ago, LatiMacciato said:

I assume they're visible before you search with a pioneer, but become usable when found. I haven't setup any base on Mun even yet in 1.2.2 (had to deal with massive asteroids that threatened Kerbin :P)

Nope, just like desteroids, they do not exist until you search for them.

After you search for them, they show in the tracking station, the map, and everywhere, just like an asteroid or a rescue mission.

@RoverDude, the combining of several bays/bits to the same output still doesn't work properly in 0.50.10. It only works for the vessel you switch to from the tracking station, not any others in physics range.

I made a new ticket about it. The issue was reported before by @Gilph for just Hydrates on the ASM but it actually affects all ModuleSwappableConverter parts. Basically you can never have combined converters on more than one vessel in a disconnected base at the moment, and then only if you switch to the right one every time from the tracking station (or F5+F9).