[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Hello all,

Can anyone help me clear up this Configurable Containers and Ground Construction dependency issue?

I am starting a very heavily modded carreer game and I will be using MKS for the first time. Before starting the game I was going thru my tech tree and evaluating all the parts that I had installed. I saw an Air Crane part which I decided that I didn't like much and found out that it was part of Ground Construction, which seems to be a part of MKS. But here I come and read that it is not a strict dependency, that it is actually the core of said mod that MKS depends upon.

I also find out that there is this other mod Configurable Containers, which is not really a dependency. Considering that I am already running both Firespitter and FuelSwitch due to dependencies, I feel like I should probably be removing ConfigurableContainers, if I can.

There is some discussion about a CKAN update on the previous page. But I am doing manual installs. Well, maybe I should assume that RD's own MKS release should be correct, but seeing the whole ConfigurableContainers and GC with the sky crane in there makes me doubt it. Can anyone explain to me what I need and what I don't need or direct me towards some documentation or similar?

Edit: TLDR: What exactly are the contents o the Ground Construction -core? What can I delete from MKS_0.50.16.0.zip?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Edited by canisin

48 minutes ago, canisin said:

Edit: TLDR: What exactly are the contents o the Ground Construction -core? What can I delete from MKS_0.50.16.0.zip?

It looks like the new version with the reduced dependencies may be released as early as tomorrow morning(as per the comments on the GC thread), before that, I do not think that there is a 'GC core' mod to use, and as such you will at least need CC core to support the full GC mod.

Note: CC core only has configurations for the GC parts so it should not conflict with fuel switch.

ok, I only realized after my post that RD and allista were working on a release about righ now. i was under the impression that this was an older discussion and that people already knew what to do with what.

I am sorry if my post came across as demanding and entitled. :)

Great job on this mod! I like the idea of building colonies on another planet, and maybe even building cities. I'm still a little new, but I think this mod is doing great.

On a side note, I am using TAC life support (I MIGHT switch to USI-LS, though I have a part that only works with TAC I think (SETI Greenhouse, though a bit out of date), and I am using a career game, so I don't know how switching would work), and the Ranger greenhouse works great, but when I try to test the Tundra agricultural modules, it says I have no mulch. Is that a USI-LS resource? (Tundra Kerbitat recycler works fine though)

I posted over on the IFS thread, and @FreeThinker already has a new version up that makes the conflict go away.  Hoorah for him!

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 2.4.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-02-23

• Added Global script which applies tank switching between popular glasses to all xenon tanks
  • Added Global script which applies tank switching between popular liquid fuels to all liquid fuel tanks
  • Fixed: Global script will not Fuel Switch if ModuleTankManager is already present
  • Fixed If tank mass is undefined it will fall back on part prefab mass

2 hours ago, CompletedPi said:

Great job on this mod! I like the idea of building colonies on another planet, and maybe even building cities. I'm still a little new, but I think this mod is doing great.

On a side note, I am using TAC life support (I MIGHT switch to USI-LS, though I have a part that only works with TAC I think (SETI Greenhouse, though a bit out of date), and I am using a career game, so I don't know how switching would work), and the Ranger greenhouse works great, but when I try to test the Tundra agricultural modules, it says I have no mulch. Is that a USI-LS resource? (Tundra Kerbitat recycler works fine though)

Yea USI-LS resources are Supplies, Fertilizer, & Mulch. I think the Greenhouse components only get applied to the configurations if you are using TAC-LS. USI-LS uses Agriculture & Cultivate to create its resources.

As for swapping them out during a career... if you have alot of vessels with TAC-LS components I can only say ouch. The two mods use different resources so the moment you switch any ship will probably be starving from the start until you get the new LS resource out to it. But USI-LS doesn't auto-kill unless you turn it on so its a manageable issue since the kerbals will just go on strike until you can supply them.

The problem is going to be "Parts" if you have alot of active vessels since it will break any vessel thats already built to remove them. Your best bet would probably be to install USI-LS, delete the TAC-LS dll & configs to disable it (but leave the parts files), and then either ignore that TAC parts until you can recover/remove them from active vessels or write a MM patch that clears the part category so they are hidden from the VAB/SPH parts list. This is how alot of mods handle leaving legacy parts around when they make drastic changes.

8 hours ago, canisin said:

*snip*

If anyone else needs this information:

(Well the quote does not show the interesting bits, go the GC thread and see :))

Hello!

I'm and avid user of MKS Lite, reinstalled KSP and suddenly discovered it is no longer being updated.

From what I understand in that forum, MKS shall provide same functionality. I first downloaded MKS Lite because I wanted to learn the basics before tackling the more complex MKS.

Is there a "beginner" setting yet? Or will I have to start with all features?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

Thanks!

The MKS Lite configuration has not yet been delivered, so the only option currently available is MKS.

There is a new release due shortly(probably today), but I have not heard anything about MKS Lite being in it.

I think it is mostly GC integration(adding GC Workshop modules to MKS Workshops and assembly plants for example).

31 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

Actually career mode is a decent beginner setting since you start with the simpler features and the complex stuff won't become relevant until the mid/end game.

7 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

@Supermarine MKS now has built-in KSPedia which helps in the earning process a lot.

The MKS wiki on GH also documents the mod very well in addition to breaking it down into lots of bitesize sectors based on what produces what (which is the essence of MKS). If you think MKS is complex, spare a thought for what I had to learn on starting to use a new OpenTTD mod.

@pellinor Career mode isn't very useful since everything comes with Adv. Construction. MKS is a little difficult to spread out along the tech tree since everything needs everything. Maybe the Duna modules could come first, followed by Ranger, then basic Tundra habs etc. and then the more advanced Tundra manufacturing modules?

Edited by voicey99

10 hours ago, ExavierMacbeth said:

Yea USI-LS resources are Supplies, Fertilizer, & Mulch. I think the Greenhouse components only get applied to the configurations if you are using TAC-LS. USI-LS uses Agriculture & Cultivate to create its resources.

As for swapping them out during a career... if you have alot of vessels with TAC-LS components I can only say ouch. The two mods use different resources so the moment you switch any ship will probably be starving from the start until you get the new LS resource out to it. But USI-LS doesn't auto-kill unless you turn it on so its a manageable issue since the kerbals will just go on strike until you can supply them.

The problem is going to be "Parts" if you have alot of active vessels since it will break any vessel thats already built to remove them. Your best bet would probably be to install USI-LS, delete the TAC-LS dll & configs to disable it (but leave the parts files), and then either ignore that TAC parts until you can recover/remove them from active vessels or write a MM patch that clears the part category so they are hidden from the VAB/SPH parts list. This is how alot of mods handle leaving legacy parts around when they make drastic changes.

Thanks for the reply! My career situation is not that bad, I'm pretty early, and the only crewed ship I have is my space station. So I can just return the crew, get USI-LS, and send up supplies. I don't know for sure though if I'll switch to USI-LS. As for the greenhouse problem, even though the Tundra agriculture module doesn't seem to work with TAC, the ship I was testing with had the Tundra ring, and that had a greenhouse option, which worked great with TAC. I like that module so I'm fine with using that as a greenhouse for the Tundra series.

Again thanks for the reply, I'm new to the forums, and I can't wait to get more involved! :D

53 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Career mode isn't very useful since everything comes with Adv. Construction. MKS is a little difficult to spread out along the tech tree since everything needs everything. Maybe the Duna modules could come first, followed by Ranger, then basic Tundra habs etc. and then the more advanced Tundra manufacturing modules?

Sorry, I only know the mod with CTT where things are more spaced out. For me some early progression steps would be
* go to orbit without anything
* pack supplies and a bit of extra space for a short mun trip
* use a recycler to reduce supplies consumption
* add a greenhouse to the station/base and ship in fertilizer instead of supplies
* drill for ore and make fuel
* drill for gypsum and make fertilizer

Edited by pellinor

Question for anyone to answer. Is there a compatible contract mission pack to help gain funds building MKS bases? Is this included already in the download? I just can't manage to fund my missions (At least in not cheaty ways). Bases are difficult and costly to do...

Maybe I missed it, but is there a workaround yet for using MaterialKits from PL for expanding the large hab ring? Do I really still need another 5k MaterialKits + hundreds of SpecializedParts just to build a 3.75m container for them that I will never ever need again afterwards?

I actually used the Stations & Bases contract pack to set up my base on minmus. The only side effect of it is that the Karabou Rover parts get flagged as base so can sometimes be picked up by the "expand your base" contracts if its parked too close to the original base location. But you can usually just skip those and it will update to the correct base.

EDIT: Also as for funds, Send up a crew of engineers & kolonisis for a while. If you have a Pioneer Module on the base you can use "check for kolony rewards" and generate alot of funds if you set it up right. I didn't even start setting up a base until I had the Tundra Pioneer module handy for Planetary logistics & Kolony Rewards.

Edited by ExavierMacbeth

Before Ground Construction, I just used the 'build a new station' and 'build a new base' contracts.  Fulfill the contract with the new parts I was delivering, then use KAS to add them to the base.(You could also use a disconnected base, but I prefer having fewer vessels in the area)

6 minutes ago, Agustin said:

Question for anyone to answer. Is there a compatible contract mission pack to help gain funds building MKS bases? Is this included already in the download? I just can't manage to fund my missions (At least in not cheaty ways). Bases are difficult and costly to do...

What I do is plunk a bunch of Kolonists in a relatively cheap base to max out their funds bonus (among others).

3 minutes ago, jd284 said:

Maybe I missed it, but is there a workaround yet for using MaterialKits from PL for expanding the large hab ring? Do I really still need another 5k MaterialKits + hundreds of SpecializedParts just to build a 3.75m container for them that I will never ever need again afterwards?

There is not.  I just loft up the requisite containers and scrap them when I am done to build other things.

32 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

What I do is plunk a bunch of Kolonists in a relatively cheap base to max out their funds bonus (among others).

That sort of suggests there a maximum rate for Kolony Bonus accrual - is that the case? If so, could you ballpark what that maximum is?