[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Testing now, will update when I'm done.

Edit:  So I'm seeing two problems, one there is insufficient cooling once the drills hit optimum temperature; two at optimum drill temperature you are producing insufficient power so you quickly run out and everything shuts down.

Edited by Nergal8617
Expansion

4 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

I'm pretty sure that it varies by the type of radiator.  The fixed (unextendable) radiators are very location-sensitive and will only draw heat from "nearby" parts (whether that means the parent part + grandparent part, or is a range in meters, I'm not sure).  The extendable radiators, OTOH, will cool parts anywhere on the vessel.

I updated the craft so that only MKS thermals are being used, the location of the stock were extremely close.  

Just now, WuphonsReach said:

I'm pretty sure that it varies by the type of radiator.  The fixed (unextendable) radiators are very location-sensitive and will only draw heat from "nearby" parts (whether that means the parent part + grandparent part, or is a range in meters, I'm not sure).  The extendable radiators, OTOH, will cool parts anywhere on the vessel.

Panels will only draw heat from the part it is attached to and any parts attached to that part regardless of distance (inc. offset parts). While the deployable radiators don't have that restriction and have a better total cooling rate, panels are also good in that they can cool parts 1/4 the temperature of their own (compared to 1/2 for the deployables) and have a much higher core heat transfer (I believe this is the max cooling that can be applied to a single part) per unit mass. For example, the small TCS applies three times the total cooling of the small panel to the whole vessel, but draws the same amount from each part as well as weighing five times as much.

1 minute ago, DaveBowman said:

All, I have been unable to 'Deploy' any modules, specifically the Expandables, for the last two releases. I am able to deploy them in the VAB, just not in the game. Could I be doing something wrong? Halp me! Please and thank you.

Screenshot?

3 minutes ago, DaveBowman said:

All, I have been unable to 'Deploy' any modules, specifically the Expandables, for the last two releases. I am able to deploy them in the VAB, just not in the game. Could I be doing something wrong? Halp me! Please and thank you.

Just to verify, you are doing this with an EVA'd Kerbal and have sufficient MaterialKits? See the FAQ

1 hour ago, Baladain said:

If you fill up the organics on your converter, and then hit the lock button next to the resource, other functions will not be able to take away that resource, allowing you to keep organic production at 100%

Same thing goes for machinery.  Keep them locked, and then the usage drain will pull from storage instead of from your converters.

Just make sure you have enough in storage to keep things going.

That sounds like a bug :D

1 hour ago, Tarheel1999 said:

The stock thermal panels efficiency depend on their location on your craft.  They need to be attached to the part which needs cooling or its grandparent part.  Did you notice in RD's stream last night that he was very particular about where he put the stock thermal panels? The problem could simply be the stock panels or their placement.  For testing purposes, I would suggest removing the stock panels and placing 3 Ranger thermals on your miner and then test it on Kerbin.  If this works move down to two Ranger thermals to see if this works. Finally you can go down back to one Ranger thermal and experiment with the location of your stock thermal panels.  Doing this way will help you eliminate MKS as the culprit for your cooling problems.

The other possibility here is that the EC and Cooling requirements for the drills are for EACH separator.  I believe the 500 has 3. So that would actually be 120 ec per drill instead of 40 and 150kw cooling instead of 50kw.

EC and Cooling are PER separator.  That may be your issue :)

55 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Reported issue: https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/issues/1174

Looks like the 2.5 and 3.75 converters are currently making Chemicals when set to Fertilizer(G).  Looks like just a copy/paste error in the config.

Really liking the idea of the automated parts and looking forward to getting them deployed so I can test them out.

Not sure if it is worth sending out new base kits to Duna though, I'll probably try something faster to get to like Moho, not any bases there yet...

I also like how the inflatable workshop seems like the go-to part for building out your first base component.  I am hoping that the 300% workshop efficiency is not also a typo...

Question: does the level of Kolonists have any impact on colony rewards?  Anything else?

Thanks, will take a look RE converters.  And the 300% is not a typo, it's correct given that part's mass/volume.   Kolony rewards are Kerbal count based not star based.

15 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Fixed pull from parents and siblings, range is not part of this.  Extendables are vessel wide.

8 minutes ago, DaveBowman said:

You need to have sufficient Material Kits, and perform the deploy action on EVA

Edited by RoverDude

40 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Picture please?

Here is the 2.5 nuke on a big refinery.  Only have 3 of 6 radiators on and never needed more

8t2o4Ev.jpg

Here is a 1.25 off the side of an AM. I do the same on my orbital stations. Usually dont need more than two radiators

z2sR8dS.png

4 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

@gamerscircle I tested your craft.  You were running out of power.  I added another reactor and it worked fine.  Note Rover's comment above that EC and core heat are per separator.  So you will need to have sufficient cooling and power for 12 drills (4 physical drills x 3 separators).

Oh oh.. so.. since each drill has "3 / three" configurable resource separators , then the ec cost isn't per drill, it is per resource separator?  That is confusing when you read it in the editor.  Well, okay, so does that still apply to the video that I posted where one drill [w/three separators] and 3 thermals was too much power?

11 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Oh oh.. so.. since each drill has "3 / three" configurable resource separators , then the ec cost isn't per drill, it is per resource separator?  That is confusing when you read it in the editor.  Well, okay, so does that still apply to the video that I posted where one drill [w/three separators] and 3 thermals was too much power?

I had 2 drills with one nuke and 4 drills with 2 nukes working on kerbin. Maybe cooling is different on Kerbin and the Mun.  Regardless, do the maths again and design for the power/cooling requirements for 4 drills with 3 separators.

Just now, voicey99 said:

Just took a look at the new MPUs, and I've noticed that they have LF and OX modes but not an LFO mode, and that LF and OX are produced in equal quantities despite *always* being used in a 9:11 ratio.

Did you see RD's last stream?

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

That sounds like a bug :D

If it is, please don't fix it.

It's not game breaking, since your converters still consume the resources, they just consume it from storage instead of from the supply on the converter itself.

This also has the added benefit of being able to lock machinery at a specific level on each converter, thus allowing it to function as a governor.