[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Just now, Gilph said:

I thought 0.50.9 removed the pilot requirement, but you still needed the module 

They still need a logistics module and can push to PL without a pilot or quartermaster, but one is still required to pull.

I've had the previously mentioned heating problem with my reactors. The attached is a base I've been using pre-update, where before pre-update I could run everything, no problems. Reactor core stable at 1000K/1000K, no heating issues, drills running perfectly, all modules running, so on so forth. The only update I've made since this point is updating Roverdude's MKS, Roverdude's Lifesupport, and the associated files/folders included in those two.

http://i.imgur.com/iJX9hnp.png

As you can tell it's a bit weird here, as I've got 2 large deployable radiators, 2 medium deployable radiators, 6 small deployable radiators, and one of the MKS thermal control systems to cool a 2.5m nuclear reactor, and 8 of the medium drills. The heat on the 2.5 sized reactor keeps climbing (and thermal efficiency as a consequence keeps dropping), while the drills stay same on the heat, the cooling % of the medium and large is slowly dropping below the efficiency provided in the screenshot. Ultimately this leads into a cycling where the reactor shuts down, that then leads to everything else shutting down. More oddly enough when I put the place up to time warps of about 10000x, the radiators begin to work TOO WELL, cooling the reactor down below 1000K but otherwise operating just as the radiators should. Closing down any of the radiators in hopes that the bigger or more numerous radiators will pick up the slack doesn't work out.

Am I doing something wrong here that got patched in the recent update? (I did see there was a slight change to the heating, but only something to prevent overheating) Or is this a bug?

Edited by Markrc93
Added some extra information

30 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I seem to lost something in the translation, what is the MPU?

Presumably the Mobile Processing Unit. According to the cfg it can push stuff to PL but never pull i.e. what logistics modules do w/o a pilot/quartermaster on board.

The MPUs are not a replacement for the full LM on manned bases, since it cannot pull at all.

Edited by voicey99

I want to thank everyone for their help on figuring out what I was doing wrong with my "over the top" 4 Drill rover.

Here is a screen shot:

http://imgur.com/E8T3meB

For those wondering why?  Well, I am learning this mod - and the plan is to take what I learn on the Mun and do it on Duna.  Since it would seem that I am going to have excess resources, I can crate it up and ship it to Duna to help stimulate the startup there.

It seems that surface attached stock panels for the reactor is working out great.

Knowing now that each drill' separator needs the power and the cooling helped out too.

It would seem that the power distro is working as well?  On reactor is pegged on heat and load, where the other reactor only has a fraction of load and the cooling is fine as well.

In regards to the cooling, since I have stock radiator panels attached directly to the reactors, wouldn't the 1st take the heat and then excess would pass to the Ranger thermals?

Edited by gamerscircle

I don't see a second reactor, nor any radiator panels. I'm not sure how heatdist priority works, but I think panels come before extendables.

(And at least I parody the IRL space mission names (Sailor 9, COURIER, Kopernicus etc.))

Tried out some things:

A single 2.5 MPU, both bays making Chemicals, two Meu500-A, all 6 separaters set to Minerals. I only needed two surface radiators and a single ranger TCS. Total EC was 210/sec which fits just under a 1.25 nuke.

Using the 500s, you drill way faster than you can make. I was drilling 1.6 per sec minerals, but making less than .01/sec Chemicals.

So, from a design perspective, the MPU cant replace a refinery bay for high volume production like Chemicals or Silicon. You can still use big drills to push resources to PL and feed your big refinery bays, and the MPU replaces the Logistic module and can also make a fractional amount of Tier 1 mats, which helps a little. For the smaller resources, using small drills and the new short nuke can be a good solution.

Edited by Gilph

7 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I don't see a second reactor, nor any radiator panels. I'm not sure how heatdist priority works, but I think panels come before extendables.

(And at least I parody the IRL space mission names (Sailor 9, COURIER, Kopernicus etc.))

Okay.. this is what happens when you don't copy the correct image link.. I updated it.. thanks for looking.. should be correct now.

34 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Okay.. this is what happens when you don't copy the correct image link.. I updated it.. thanks for looking.. should be correct now.

I can't tell at all what's pointing to what in that picture. Also, what's the status of the small panels attached to the reactor in the bay?

Edited by voicey99

Somehow I lost my MKS directory during some CKAN updates this week (No idea how or why).  When I went to start my saved game(Science Campaign) anything with parts from MKS(USI Kolonisation) did not/would not load (I received a message from the game).

I exited the game, found the missing directory, re-downloaded and installed MKS, went back into the saved game and lost everything with associated parts from MKS :( 

Does this scenario sound correct???  

If you run the game and load a saved game with missing parts, exit, then re-enter saved game do you lose everything related to those build, i.e. stations, probes etc...?

12 minutes ago, Tuko said:

If you run the game and load a saved game with missing parts, exit, then re-enter saved game do you lose everything related to those build, i.e. stations, probes etc...?

If you load a game containing parts from missing mods, KSP deletes all vessels containing parts from that mod. Unless you made a save before everything got deleted, you've had it.

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

If you load a game containing parts from missing mods, KSP deletes all vessels containing parts from that mod. Unless you made a save before everything got deleted, you've had it.

OK, that's what I thought.......I'm not gonna cry but I just learned a hard lesson......but definitively a breaking bad moment, lol.

33 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I can't tell at all what's pointing to what in that picture. Also, what's the status of the small panels attached to the reactor in the bay?

I put the smaller reactor in there with the panels, but isn't on.  Is there a way to show all the pinned items and what they point to? 

3 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I put the smaller reactor in there with the panels, but isn't on.  Is there a way to show all the pinned items and what they point to? 

If they're pinned, it shows you what they point to when you hover over them. If you have them unpinned (altclick on parts to bring up multiple windows) it shows the arrows for all of them.

9 minutes ago, Tuko said:

OK, that's what I thought.......I'm not gonna cry but I just learned a hard lesson......but definitively a breaking bad moment, lol.

Before you trash everything, just launch any vehicle, do an f9 to load your last quick save and you should be fine.  If not, in your save, hit escape, click load save, and load something from a day or two ago.

I am back, using the same 'rig'

http://imgur.com/E8T3meB  [the forward pinned items are the forward parts and the aft pinned items are the aft parts]

Is there a setting that I am not aware of?  When I take the above rover to the Mun, I run into thermal issues again.

I will power up one of the 1.25 reactor, the attached stock thermal panels and the reactor keeps nice and cool.  I then power up an MKS Ranger Thermal [which is enough cooling for 2 drills and all 6 separators]  I start one drill and keep an eye on the reactor.. is cranks all the way up to on the "load" and then drops back down to 0.50%.  The stock thermal panels are cooling at about 11.11%

I then fire up the second 1.25 reactor, along with the its stock thermal panels.  There is a small shift if load percentages on the two reactors [makes sense]

I now start the 2nd drill and I start to notice that thermal efficiency on the drills dip about 2% each and the reactors drop about 1% , the surface attached stock thermals are at about 12%.

I now turn on a 2nd MKS Ranger thermal the 2nd reactor goes up to 100% thermal efficiency the 1st reactor drops to 99%

I then power up a third drill and nothing really happens..all the drills say that Minerals are full, there in an ISM on it.  So I swap to a craft that is outside of the 2.3km range and then swap back.. retract and re-deploy the ISM.  The Drills have all but stopped.

and I can only get one drill to power up without getting an Insufficient power message. Cooling is all good, 

Reactor #1 has a 76% load and Reactor #2 has a 100% load. and it doesn't seem to matter the other of which drill I power up or anything.

The craft tested okay on Kerbin , but on the Mun it is being influenced by Aliens.. or something. 

42 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

If they're pinned, it shows you what they point to when you hover over them. If you have them unpinned (altclick on parts to bring up multiple windows) it shows the arrows for all of them.

That ALT Click is not working.. is there a setting options that I need to have enabled? - ok ok.. I get it .. now... let me see if I can get this screen shot squared away. 

Here is an updated screen shot.. I am getting the mineral full message... I thought that the drills have built in logistics?

http://imgur.com/RxGMTSF

Edited by gamerscircle

4 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Presumably the Mobile Processing Unit. According to the cfg it can push stuff to PL but never pull i.e. what logistics modules do w/o a pilot/quartermaster on board.

The MPUs are not a replacement for the full LM on manned bases, since it cannot pull at all.

does the MPU only do logistics for it's output or for all resources on the craft?