[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Are you using USI-LS? If you're not, then the hab function (which is the other type of bay) on the expandable habs (or kerbitats, for that matter) won't work.

Doh!

I knew that.... 

In my updating I deleted anything USI, including LS and forgot to reinstall....     I feel like I total dufus, good thing it's my day off - I don't get paid to think today.

Thanks for the assistance.

16 minutes ago, Aaron Also said:

That would be a clear NO GO

It is in the release notes. TAC-LS and USI-LS are the only supported life support mods I think. Kerbalism is not supported.

Even if I'm not using USI LS? the parts just aren't compatible with herbalism huh? :( 

Just now, ISE said:

Even if I'm not using USI LS? the parts just aren't compatible with herbalism huh? :( 

IDK about Herbalism. KSP might not be compatible with Herbalism for some people.

As for Kerbalism and USI - MKS, they do not play well together as other posts have explained. I use USI-LS it's simple and can be setup to be very very strict. TAC works too but is too much micro managing for me tastes.

11 minutes ago, Aaron Also said:

IDK about Herbalism. KSP might not be compatible with Herbalism for some people.

As for Kerbalism and USI - MKS, they do not play well together as other posts have explained. I use USI-LS it's simple and can be setup to be very very strict. TAC works too but is too much micro managing for me tastes.

Kerbalism***** aut correct kills me. and thanks got it 

13 minutes ago, ISE said:

Right.  As I explained.... Kerbalism does a wholesale update of one of the core stock mechanics - converters.  Which is about 90% of what MKS does.  So when you override all of this behavior and cut bits out, it is going to break stuff that depends on those stock functions existing.

Thanks for replying.

But am I safe to just delete the USI-LS folder from this package and every thing else work as expected?

Basically as its a package I just want to make sure its not refrencing any thing different from if I was to download these mods seprate is all :)

Thanks

Edited by stk2008

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

MKS is integrated with TAC and can function without USI-LS, but the habitation parts won't work or have a purpose.

I don't think MKS is integrated with TAC. Are TAC configs official? 

Just now, stk2008 said:

But am I safe to just delete the USI-LS folder from this package and every thing else work as expected?

Yes. You can delete any folder from there, and it'll still work fine. I deleted ART and sounding rockets, for example. 

36 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

For EL, it will be just like any other mod - there are no direct conflicts, but no assumed support.  Patches will be community based, and very likely, optional.  Because by definition, any EL patch is going to mess with how EL works, and will require either new parts or configs to EL - i.e. the entire reason, with the lack of an official EL 'detailed mode' I could dovetail off of, that got us to where things stand now.

<snip...>

@DStaal - going to hold off on merging anything EL related since either (a) we assume that there's no EL config change to the MKS production path (in which case, all we need to do is remove the current EL config entirely), or (b) if an optional EL config is included, it will need to override the behavior of EL parts to match the MKS production chain.   I am ambivalent on this, either one works, since it's kinda in the same boat as TAC-LS (i.e. it works... but it is not native).

No problem - I actually expected that there would likely need to be some discussion, but in case the response was 'submit a PR', I wanted to start there.  You can always ignore/decline a PR, after all.  :wink:  Main reason I thought about it was that the current situation technically conflicts with EL: There are no working, non-depreciated, launchpads with just MKS+EL.  (There are still stakes, of course.)  So it's time to transition to community patches - which means time to figure out what that will look like.  Personally, I'm fine with having non-useful production parts in the game; they can be ignored or blocked in other ways, and this was the easiest patch to make.

I'll do another PR that's just unblock the launchpads, and if I have time I'll look into doing one that unblocks and redoes the EL production parts to the MKS chain.

10 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I don't think MKS is integrated with TAC. Are TAC configs official?

Define 'official'.  They come with MKS, so they are official in that RoverDude ships them.  However, he doesn't write or test them - they are community supplied.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Define 'official'.  They come with MKS, so they are official in that RoverDude ships them.  However, he doesn't write or test them - they are community supplied.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I wouldn't call MKS "integrated", it's the community that makes this integration.

Hey all -

I was curious if anyone had time to check out a MKS rover that came up with that tests out okay on Kerbin and have issues on the Mun?  Here is the post that I did ealier:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154587-122-modular-kolonization-system-mks/&do=findComment&comment=2968015

There are two links to a YT video that I made during my stream.  The first link is testing on Kerbin, the second link is testing on the Mun.

If this post is unprofessional or goes against the forums rules, it was not my intent , the MKS mod is really a diverse and open ended mod, while at the same time is not for the faint of heart. :)

9 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Hey all -

I was curious if anyone had time to check out a MKS rover that came up with that tests out okay on Kerbin and have issues on the Mun?  Here is the post that I did ealier:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154587-122-modular-kolonization-system-mks/&do=findComment&comment=2968015

There are two links to a YT video that I made during my stream.  The first link is testing on Kerbin, the second link is testing on the Mun.

If this post is unprofessional or goes against the forums rules, it was not my intent , the MKS mod is really a diverse and open ended mod, while at the same time is not for the faint of heart. :)

Did you have an engineer nearby? They do speed up the drills, along with EC usage. Also, Mun's geology rating affects drills, increasing their efficiency and EC consumption (if I remember correct).  

8 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Did you have an engineer nearby? They do speed up the drills, along with EC usage. Also, Mun's geology rating affects drills, increasing their efficiency and EC consumption (if I remember correct).  

Miners do that as well. And RD wan't kidding when he said geology rating boosts drills, mine went from operating at the fixed 85% in earlier versions to almost 300% with the new update, and everything from cooling to power is now massively overloaded. For some reason, the large deployable TCS I have on my base just sits there at 12% load as the drills and reactor are melting.

Edited by voicey99

25 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

HI there @sh1pman - The video links show that on Kerbin, I can use 2 1.25 reactors to power 4 [12 separators] unmanned drills and all the cooling with about 85% load still left on the 2nd reactor.  However; when I take the same setup to the Mun, I can only get 1 drill [3 separators] online.  If I had to take an engineer along for the the unmanned drills.. lol , then I have to change the job posting at KSC. :)

18 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Miners do that as well. And RD wan't kidding when he said geology rating boosts drills, mine went from operating at the fixed 85% in earlier versions to almost 300% with the new update, and everything from cooling to power is now massively overloaded. For some reason, the large deployable TCS I have on my base just sits there at 12% load as the drills and reactor are melting.

okay, I have that same issue with the stock deployable as well.  About the only time I see them really attract heat, is when I land a craft anywhere near the structure. 

Still, I honestly can't understand that unmanned can have some diminishing returns and one would think that adding some additional power and cooling could balance?  However; in the video that I made, it seems like you will need a 3:1 for the mun?  For ever 1 drill [3 separators] you will need almost 2 1.25 reactors?

Edited by gamerscircle

4 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

But such a small price to pay for not having to spam drills once your kolony is established :)

Can't one plunder [insert pirate themed music] one planet to move further away from people and be happily isolated with his machines?  No? :) 

8 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

@gamerscircle could be geology rating then. As @voicey99 said, it can really set your drills to turbo-mode, screwing your EC and cooling along the way.

Well, then unfortunately - I will have to wait on further reports to see if that is really the situation [sure, realism and what not] in a KSP career mode, I don't see a feasible way of testing a planet for that.. [perhaps I just don't have the smarts]

Back to using [err.. hiring] Kerbals and loading up their backpacks with lunchables and madlibs. 

5 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Well, then unfortunately - I will have to wait on further reports to see if that is really the situation [sure, realism and what not] in a KSP career mode, I don't see a feasible way of testing a planet for that.. [perhaps I just don't have the smarts]

What's your geology rating on the Mun, btw?

9 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

What's your geology rating on the Mun, btw?

That is a thing in KSP?  I that with the new MKS skills, as I haven't really used them...  Just trying to get the basics of MKS and getting a foot hold understanding of what I need.. then, trying to branch out to a little to refine what I have in place.. is a challenge.

ie, I have an 'okay' infrastructure on the Mun, but it got to where I had to do supply drops to my drill sites almost every 30 days.. [I have to Agi mods making supplies] , then someone suggested that I include the small recycler at the drill sites. and "wham" I get over a year vs ...  Then a suggestion to start converting the mulch to supplies... [this I thought I understood, but one step at a time.. as I need to swap out the current drill sites]