[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

5 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

A 3.75 Tundra refinery with a level 5 engineer would be more efficient, then use the MPUs as efficiency parts.

A 3.75 Tundra refinery with a level 5 engineer would be more efficient, then use the MPUs as efficiency part

Got it, thanks! I've got a TIR, but was trying to figure out how best to boost it (I have two TIRs, three 2.5m MPUs, and three 3.75 MPUs, and it's not even remotely close to the efficiency rating of an Assembly Plant with two Workshops). Gaining levels it is!

Edited by Wiseman

New save or old save?  And just to confirm again... KSP 1.3 with MKS directly from the Github repo (no CKAN)?

(And obv. since you are using a recycler... USI-LS also directly from Github repo)

Edited by RoverDude

new with 1.3 already in sandbox will try though and let you know

29 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

@BrutalRIP - new save or old save?

If an old save, humor me and try it on a new sandbox save.

new save solved it but my save was new with 1.3 and already in sandbox anyway fixed now so all's good. and thanks roverdude you really are awesome!!

Edited by BrutalRIP

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Awesome!  Did you give us your old save?  It would be good to figure out a save that lets us repro this and add a guard clause

which one is it?? persistent.sfs or the whole folder?

2 minutes ago, BrutalRIP said:
13 minutes ago, Nergal8617 said:

Want the whole file or just the persistent.sfs?

14 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

the persistent.sfs file should be enough

Done, edited previous post.  Also thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Nergal8617

Yo, am I an idiot or is there something wrong with USI Kolonization on CKAN? All of your other USI mods are showing up in my "All" filter, but not Kolonization. Is it paired with one of the other USI mods now? Did you remove it from CKAN?

I just fresh installed the game and am fresh installing all my mods and I love this mod, so it's essential. 

25 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

Yo, am I an idiot or is there something wrong with USI Kolonization on CKAN? All of your other USI mods are showing up in my "All" filter, but not Kolonization. Is it paired with one of the other USI mods now? Did you remove it from CKAN?

I just fresh installed the game and am fresh installing all my mods and I love this mod, so it's essential. 

CKAN isn't usually reliable when there are major version changes. The meta-data changes very frequently, and tangled dependencies between different versions of different mods can trip up things; they are difficult to sort out. Sometimes you will simply not see the app on the compatible list even if the app itself is compatible - this is because the algorithms in CKAN cannot figure out the dependencies, or  they aren't fully updated in the metadata, or the dependencies aren't yet compatible with ver 1.3. That's why I suggest you give up CKAN until things are more stable.

If you still want to use CKAN and don't want to wait for all your apps to upgrade, I suggest you stick with 1.2.2 for now, especially if you have career games saved.  That is what I am doing. My main career is in my 1.2.2 install, and I still use CKAN on it, but am very careful about what updates I allow (need to be specific to 1.2.2 for me). Basically I'm freezing my mods and waiting until a supermajority of the mods I use are released or shown to be safe to use for 1.3 before I move to it. 

Note: I do have 1.3 installed but it is in an alternate directory, and I'm manually doing the installs just to check them in sandbox mode. Right now, too many things I use (especially parts and "quality of life" mods) are not updated and would definitely break my save.

9 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

CKAN isn't usually reliable when there are major version changes. The meta-data changes very frequently, and tangled dependencies between different versions of different mods can trip up things; they are difficult to sort out. Sometimes you will simply not see the app on the compatible list even if the app itself is compatible - this is because the algorithms in CKAN cannot figure out the dependencies, or  they aren't fully updated in the metadata, or the dependencies aren't yet compatible with ver 1.3. That's why I suggest you give up CKAN until things are more stable.

If you still want to use CKAN and don't want to wait for all your apps to upgrade, I suggest you stick with 1.2.2 for now, especially if you have career games saved.  That is what I am doing. My main career is in my 1.2.2 install, and I still use CKAN on it, but am very careful about what updates I allow (need to be specific to 1.2.2 for me). Basically I'm freezing my mods and waiting until a supermajority of the mods I use are released or shown to be safe to use for 1.3 before I move to it. 

Note: I do have 1.3 installed but it is in an alternate directory, and I'm manually doing the installs just to check them in sandbox mode. Right now, too many things I use (especially parts and "quality of life" mods) are not updated and would definitely break my save.

I'm already upgraded to ver. 1.3 and it's only by pure dumb luck that I decided to delete KSP and all my mods so that I could do clean installs, last night. So, I don't have to worry about incompatibilities between 1.2.2 compatible mods and 1.3. I think I'll start a new game with the mods I have and install Kolonization and other mods as they get updated. Like I said, purely dumb luck that I was planning on starting a new career, as a new update rolls out.

Thank you for the insight though; I've played KSP for a couple years, but only seriously (and with mods) for the past 9 months. So I haven't had to deal with too many update cycles yet and this has been throwing me for a loop for the last few hours.

Edited by ItsSeanBroleson

This is the same story at every patch, CKAN is great but it can destroy your campaign if steam auto-update your game and you don't have an alternative version somewhere. Lost 2 campaigns before before doing this technique. 

But as CKAN can be annoying, I don't think there is an alternative when you use 50+ mod :) 

2 minutes ago, ItsSeanBroleson said:

I'm already upgraded to ver. 1.3 and it's only by pure dumb luck that I decided to delete KSP and all my mods so that I could do clean installs, last night. So, I don't have to worry about incompatibilities between 1.2.2 compatible mods and 1.3. I think I'll start a new game with the mods I have and install Kolonization and other mods as they get updated. Like I said, purely dumb luck that I was planning on starting a new career.

Thank you for the insight though; I've played KSP for a couple years, but only seriously (and with mods) for the past 9 months. So I haven't had to deal with too many update cycles yet and this has been throwing me for a loop for the last few hours.

Most mods will have updated in the next few weeks, but if it's big, obscure or has a busy creator, it could potentially take months. There's always a few that just don't pull through at all.

Be prepared to go without your favourite mods for a while-I arrived on the KSP scene just in time to get screwed over by 1.2. MJ took a month to update that time.

Let that be a lesson-always turn off auto-updates (or select an older version to use before starting). CKAN is generally good but if the mod has a daisy-chain of dependencies then install it manually.

Hello All,

I have been researching MKS for a while and now I am confused :). I can't really remember what I read where and which is up to date or not and my head is filled with misinformation. Can someone please explain any existing or past integration between MKS and OSE, EPL and Ground Construction. I get the feeling that MKS previously had integration with OSE and EPL, but maybe dropped those for Ground Construction? Or what? Any suggestions? Should I install any of those mods along with the USI constellation? Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Edit: After some more searching, I have found some/most of my answers:

Edited by canisin