[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

7 minutes ago, Alshain said:

So, the next thing I probably need is water if I want to turn that substrate and Gypsum into LS, correct?  I'm going to have to get that elsewhere.

You only need water if you want to build up a large surplus of supplies ahead of your colonists or to resupply visiting ships.

Otherwise you just need Mulch + Fertilizer(from Gypsum), which will give you 10% more supplies than your kerbals consume: 10 Supplies -> 10 Mulch + 1 Fertilizer -> 11 Supplies

40 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Stock handles it by checking back 1/day.  I would have thought PL used the same system.

It doesn't "check back". At least, stock doesn't, some other mods like Kerbalism do that at a large cost.

What happens in stock instead is that when you visit your vessel again, the production backlog is "played back" in chunks of 6 hours. But there's no stock production when the vessel isn't in physics range, and thus nothing to put in PL until you visit the vessel.

@jd284 has it - there is a more powerful production patch to Supplies that uses water, but you don't need it to start.  Notthebobo provided a link to some comparisons this morning - Cultivation is better than Agroponics, if you have water.  But you can run Agroponics without.

8 minutes ago, jd284 said:

It doesn't "check back". At least, stock doesn't, some other mods like Kerbalism do that at a large cost.

What happens in stock instead is that when you visit your vessel again, the production backlog is "played back" in chunks of 6 hours. But there's no stock production when the vessel isn't in physics range, and thus nothing to put in PL until you visit the vessel.

Oh, I misunderstood how it handled it.  Still, couldn't PL link into that, though?

1 minute ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Oh, I misunderstood how it handled it.  Still, couldn't PL link into that, though?

PL uses the 6 hour checkup mechanic but only when you go to that vessel. Nothing happens when it's not loaded as that puts incredible strain on CPU's would lower fps by a considerable amount.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

Is there any way to hire other defined professions?  I have a couple from other places that I would like to use (and am trying to define a few more), but the new hiring screen doesn't seem to allow anything but the stock three and the MKS professions.

Is there a way to tell how many resources your producing? supplies,electricty, processing materials etc?

There used to be a screen I could access that would tell me ex.  producing 100 supplies per day, using 80 supplies per day +20 supplies positive flow of supplies etc..   can't seem to find this now.    Am I missing something?

Edited by halx

So I did a little test run on the runway, @RoverDude I noticed that the ground tether function releases whenever KIS adds something to the base.  I don't know if that can be fixed or not, but it would be nice.  In the meantime, I was able to stabilize it by attaching a minitruss to prop it up and keep it from rolling all the way over when I attached the habitats, so it's not the end of the world.

EDIT: nevermind, found your github page and added it as an issue there.

Edited by Alshain

46 minutes ago, halx said:

Is there a way to tell how many resources your producing? supplies,electricty, processing materials etc?

There used to be a screen I could access that would tell me ex.  producing 100 supplies per day, using 80 supplies per day +20 supplies positive flow of supplies etc..   can't seem to find this now.    Am I missing something?

Nope, you aren't missing anything.  It got refactored out a while back.

Alternate Resource Panel has a 'local site' mode which can cover a bit, worth taking a look.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

Is there any way to hire other defined professions?  I have a couple from other places that I would like to use (and am trying to define a few more), but the new hiring screen doesn't seem to allow anything but the stock three and the MKS professions.

To answer my own question: The list of professions is hardcoded here, along with their skills.  I'm not entirely sure if 'Kolonists.cfg' even does anything at this point, based on that code.

Sounds like a feature request: To support extra professions as defined in .cfg files, like in stock.

Edit: Feature request submitted.

Edited by DStaal

2 minutes ago, Ivan Cheung said:

MKS is causing crashes while loading KSP 1.3 ;.;

Works fine for me.  (And plenty others.)  We'll need more info to help: Version of MKS, logs, picture of GameData, etc.

Well, my base has arrive.  Now I just need to get some Kerbals up there and start building it.  So regarding that, is there any advantage to the "new" classes over the old.  I noticed in the table on the Wiki but is there a reason to use a Farmer instead of a Scientist?

QrAPoZr.png

6 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Well, my base has arrive.  Now I just need to get some Kerbals up there and start building it.  So regarding that, is there any advantage to the "new" classes over the old.  I noticed in the table on the Wiki but is there a reason to use a Farmer instead of a Scientist?

Mostly that they're cheaper.  So if you don't need all the skills - like they're going to be running a food production plant in a base, and you don't plan on changing that assignment anytime soon - you can save some cash and not hire the guy who can do everything just to run the food plant.

9 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Mostly that they're cheaper.  So if you don't need all the skills - like they're going to be running a food production plant in a base, and you don't plan on changing that assignment anytime soon - you can save some cash and not hire the guy who can do everything just to run the food plant.

I see, well in that case I'll probably grab at least a Farmer then since Bill is the only Scientist I have at the moment.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Ok, so I just gave this a try and they are the same cost regardless of profession.

10 hours ago, Alshain said:

I see, well in that case I'll probably grab at least a Farmer then since Bill is the only Scientist I have at the moment.

Farmers can't operate agroponics and cultivate modules though, you need biologists for that.

I've been out of the loop for a while; coming back, it seems like the new ground construction mechanics are more limited than the extraplanetary construction options were. Does GC have a mechanism for off-planet construction, e.g. in LKO? The need for predefined DIY kits also seems to precludes off-kerbin construction of vessels de novo, correct? Like you can no longer load up a couple containers with materials and shoot a construction yard off to jool and figure out what you want to build with it later?

1 minute ago, OldSedan said:

I've been out of the loop for a while; coming back, it seems like the new ground construction mechanics are more limited than the extraplanetary construction options were. Does GC have a mechanism for off-planet construction, e.g. in LKO? The need for predefined DIY kits also seems to precludes off-kerbin construction of vessels de novo, correct? Like you can no longer load up a couple containers with materials and shoot a construction yard off to jool and figure out what you want to build with it later?

GC cannot built in space at the moment (coming soonTM). You also have to ship the DIYKit boxes from Kerbin in order to assemble their contents (DIYKit manufacturing also coming soonTM)-however, unless there's been some major changes, the bundled-but-no-longer-developed EPL/MKS patch should still be functional and the EPL parts are still in MKS (for now, anyway).

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

GC cannot built in space at the moment (coming soonTM). You also have to ship the DIYKit boxes from Kerbin in order to assemble their contents (DIYKit manufacturing also coming soonTM)-however, unless there's been some major changes, the bundled-but-no-longer-developed EPL/MKS patch should still be functional and the EPL parts are still in MKS (for now, anyway).

As of right now, the EL has much more functionality than GC. Why would anyone prefer the latter when EL/MKS patches are still working?

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

As of right now, the EL has much more functionality than GC. Why would anyone prefer the latter when EL/MKS patches are still working?

GC in this context is for manufacturing base parts in situ from a compact, lightweight and easy-to-transport initial package rather than building random ships in space, which likely falls beyond the scope of MKS. It also happens that GC is simpler and easier to patch for than EPL.

Edited by voicey99

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

GC in this context is for manufacturing base parts in situ from a compact, lightweight and easy-to-transport initial package rather than building random ships in space, which likely falls beyond the scope of MKS. It also happens that GC is simpler and easier to patch for than EPL.

You can use EL to manufacture base parts in situ from a compact, lightweight and easy-to-transport SpecializedParts kontainer. :D

8 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

You can use EL to manufacture base parts in situ from a compact, lightweight and easy-to-transport SpecializedParts kontainer. :D

Whatever the reasons, GC is here to stay and EPL support will be depreciated. I did see somewhere a looooong way back in the thread that EPL support was getting increasingly difficult thanks to poor cooperation with taniwha, and Allista's much better communication and common approaches made GC a significantly better and easier mod to shift support to (as far as RD is concerned, anyway). When the integration is complete (many months down the line), GC should offer pretty much all of the functionality EPL does at current.

Edited by voicey99

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

Whatever the reasons, GC is here to stay and EPL support will be depreciated. I did see somewhere a looooong way back in the thread that EPL support was getting increasingly difficult thanks to poor cooperation with taniwha, and Allista's much better communication and common approaches made GC a significantly better and easier mod to shift support to (as far as RD is concerned, anyway). When the integration is complete (many months down the line), GC should offer pretty much all of the functionality EPL does at current.

That's why I wrote "As of right now". I know the reasons behind the shift of official support from EL to GC.