[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Hey there!

I have an issue.

I loaded this and many other mods a week ago. Many of the planet habitation parts showed and it was fine, but I bugged out my game and how to reload. I reloaded this and other mods, and although some power parts, rover parts, and the USI manual show, I see no habitation parts. I have TAC Life Support installed, EVE, Extrasolar, and DwarfPlanetsPlus.

Ultimately...many of the parts seem to not be showing up in the shops; primarily habitation and support parts.

Is there something I need to activate or am I missing something? If you think its a bug, let me know what you need from me.

Thanks for this amazing mod!

-------------------------

Update:

Just a heads up, I recall the bug that originally stopped USI from showing those parts came about after I added other USI mods to the game, like exploration and the rover. Doesn't help explain why it wouldn't show up after a fresh reinstall, but just so you know.

Edited by Friend Bear

@Friend Bear One likely cause is not having the most up-to-date version of USI Tools. The version bundled with the last release of some of the USI mods had a bug that prevented some of the custom categories showing properly. It was superseded within a few hours by a hotfix version: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/UmbraSpaceIndustries/releases

Thank you, I will give it a shot in a hot minute!!!

----

Update:

Bugging now with a black load screen; no game load. Had this problem when I recently improperly installed a mod so I will play around to see if it is user error. Just a heads up.

------------

Rockin! 

Fresh add of mod. All works. It was the USI Tools and FX packet. Thank you so much!

Edited by Friend Bear

Life Support Question:

I realize this mod integrates incredibly well with USI Life Support. I am just getting back into Kerbal and a couple years ago, I used TAC Life Support. I would like to keep using TAC.

Will I have integration issues, primarily when it comes to making a self-sufficient base, growing food, and dealing with waste? Or will this mod's food production not product TAC style food and water, etc.?

Thanks!!!!

Just now, Friend Bear said:

Life Support Question:

I realize this mod integrates incredibly well with USI Life Support. I am just getting back into Kerbal and a couple years ago, I used TAC Life Support. I would like to keep using TAC.

Will I have integration issues, primarily when it comes to making a self-sufficient base, growing food, and dealing with waste? Or will this mod's food production not product TAC style food and water, etc.?

MKS has a TAC-LS patch and, although it is not officially supported, is kept reasonably up to date by other contributors. MKS is much more optimised for USI-LS than TAC, but it can be used with either to produce food and other resources.

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

MKS has a TAC-LS patch and, although it is not officially supported, is kept reasonably up to date by other contributors. MKS is much more optimised for USI-LS than TAC, but it can be used with either to produce food and other resources.

Thank you. I like the idea of perma death and so long as the patch works well enough I don't run into redundancy or parts that cannot be used, that would be great. I will take a look.

Thank you. I like the idea of perma death and so long as the patch works well enough I don't run into redundancy or parts that cannot be used, that would be great. I will take a look.

It does render the kerbitats useless, since they are geared to provide USI-LS habitation effects rather than anything TAC uses. You could install USI-LS alongside TAC-LS and disable everything but the habitation effects to use that.

6 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

It does render the kerbitats useless, since they are geared to provide USI-LS habitation effects rather than anything TAC uses. You could install USI-LS alongside TAC-LS and disable everything but the habitation effects to use that.

I might poke around on that and see. Admittedly, I can't figure out the purpose of habitat since it is measured in duration and doesn't seem to change. But to be fair, I have only poked on the launch pad to see the difference, if any.

The real reasons I am interested in TAC over USI is I want the perma death (less so) and want not huge containers for supply and feel TAC gives you more variety on loadout. I can still try deepfreeze, which is cool.

I am looking at kerbalism too. Seems like a cool mod.

I might poke around on that and see. Admittedly, I can't figure out the purpose of habitat since it is measured in duration and doesn't seem to change. But to be fair, I have only poked on the launch pad to see the difference, if any.

The real reasons I am interested in TAC over USI is I want the perma death (less so) and want not huge containers for supply and feel TAC gives you more variety on loadout. I can still try deepfreeze, which is cool.

Habitat is how long kerbals can be left in the ship before they go nuts. Each seat on the vessel adds one kerbal-month (30d) of habitation time which, when multiplied by the default multiplier of 0.25, gives 7.5d of time per seat distributed among your kerbals. Other parts add bonus kerbalmonths (with a 1x multiplier), letting you extend the timer for much longer than without them. MKS adds more parts for bonus hab as well as hab multipliers.

You can set up USI-LS to have permadeath as well (default is just grumpy mode, they can also be set to have no effect, mutiny (destroy a part before grumping), MIA and KIA). Using a good recycler and bringing supplies and fertiliser+a greenhouse can massively reduce the weight you have to carry, though habitation superstructure can add a lot of weight but makes your ships look less like a tin can and more like an actual spaceship.

Kerbalism is pretty brutal with lot of considerations, and is incompatible with MKS thanks to how it screws around with background resource processing.

21 minutes ago, Friend Bear said:

Bear in mind USI-LS also has support for perma-death.  So if that's what is holding you back, it's worth reconsidering :)

9 minutes ago, Friend Bear said:

It is not changing because you are on the launchpad, so habitation timers get resent.  

Deep Freeze is USI-LS compatible.  Also, USI-LS has lots of small containers as well :wink:

And yeah... I would not recommend Kerbalism.

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

Bear in mind USI-LS also has support for perma-death.  So if that's what is holding you back, it's worth reconsidering :)

This is fantastic! I assume the adjustments can be made in-game/in-mod via mod button. Too bad I'm at work. I will do that later. I spent 3 hours setting up my mods last night so I love the idea of just sticking with it and simply adjusting the settings. Very very cool.

There are absolutely enough parts to make it fun and viable, and I guess I am used to stacking lots of parts because of TAC, so I don't need 5 separate storage bins for food and water in the same way I did for TAC when doing near kerb missions, assuming I am using deepfreeze and/or a moderate self-sustaining setup.

Thanks gentlemen! I think I am set. Still taking a gander at any other mods I might want to use. I only have 27 mods installed =P

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Correct - click the green cube when at the space center scene.  Lots of wheels and dials.

Good to know. Just to put it out there in case there is an issue with my copy...I remember clicking on that green cube in vehicle construction and on the launch pad. I don't recall whether I pressed it when at the base overview. Nonetheless, I don't remember the window showing anything other than life support stats. 

I bet I need to press it and adjust settings when I am at the base overview and probably had not done so.

Edited by Friend Bear

14 minutes ago, Friend Bear said:

I bet I need to press it and adjust settings when I am at the base overview and probably had not done so.

You are right! On KSC Screen you have the options there. And in-flight mode or VAB/SPH you have the LS-Functionality. The speciality is in VAB/SPH you see more max. stats for the vehicle with added crew by you or maximal supported crew. In flight you see the actual stats. Like if you take supplies for 10 days and greenhouses with fertiliser for 1 year you see in VAB 1year but in flight only 10 days.  Don't be confused by it. And don't forget to activate LS and habitation modules.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

6 minutes ago, Urses said:

You are right! On KSC Screen you have the options there. And in-flight mode or VAB/SPH you have the LS-Functionality. The speciality is in VAB/SPH you see more max. stats for the vehicle with added crew by you or maximal supported crew. In flight you see the actual stats. Like if you take supplies for 10 days and greenhouses with fertiliser for 1 year you see in VAB 1year but in flight only 10 days.  Don't be confused by it. And don't forget to activate LS and habitation modules.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Will do, thank you. Now I just need to digest what I was told above about habitat so I can be sure not to run into trouble on a long mission.

40 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Habitat is how long kerbals can be left in the ship before they go nuts. Each seat on the vessel adds one kerbal-month (30d) of habitation time which, when multiplied by the default multiplier of 0.25, gives 7.5d of time per seat distributed among your kerbals. Other parts add bonus kerbalmonths (with a 1x multiplier), letting you extend the timer for much longer than without them. MKS adds more parts for bonus hab as well as hab multipliers.

You can set up USI-LS to have permadeath as well (default is just grumpy mode, they can also be set to have no effect, mutiny (destroy a part before grumping), MIA and KIA). Using a good recycler and bringing supplies and fertiliser+a greenhouse can massively reduce the weight you have to carry, though habitation superstructure can add a lot of weight but makes your ships look less like a tin can and more like an actual spaceship.

Kerbalism is pretty brutal with lot of considerations, and is incompatible with MKS thanks to how it screws around with background resource processing.

Can you regenerate habitat or is it always an issue of habitat being a capped duration that I have to fly under?

Regenerate, for lack of a better term, in the same manner you create food and recycle for mulch, etc.

1 minute ago, Friend Bear said:

Can you regenerate habitat or is it always an issue of habitat being a capped duration that I have to fly under?

Regenerate, for lack of a better term, in the same manner you create food and recycle for mulch, etc.

Hab timers can be frozen/reversed with the Colonisation Module (and colony supplies) and kerbals brought out of hab-induced grump with the Medbay, both of which are from MKS. Hab timers can be reset by switching vessels, and are shared between vessels within 150m. However, there is an ultimate cap of the Home value, which works like Hab but can only ever tick down from the longest amount of hab ever experienced by the kerbal - I think the Colonisation Module freezes/reverses this as well.

Habitation timers over 50yrs become permanent, so you could either give them 50yrs of hab (requires a lot of stuff) or dock with a big station in orbit to get their home value to permanent to get around this (there is a hardcoded exception so you can't do this on the pad!).

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

Hab timers can be frozen/reversed with the Colonisation Module (and colony supplies) and kerbals brought out of hab-induced grump with the Medbay, both of which are from MKS. Hab timers can be reset by switching vessels, and are shared between vessels within 150m. However, there is an ultimate cap of the Home value, which works like Hab but can only ever tick down from the longest amount of hab ever experienced by the kerbal - I think the Colonisation Module freezes/reverses this as well.

Habitation timers over 50yrs become permanent, so you could either give them 50yrs of hab (requires a lot of stuff) or dock with a big station in orbit to get their home value to permanent to get around this (there is a hardcoded exception so you can't do this on the pad!).

Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time.

1 hour ago, Cmdrdogsworth said:

Are the sifters locked at 65% load?  Doesn't seem to use efficiency parts or benefit from engineers/technicians/miners etc.  

Sifters can use eff. parts in v0.52.1+. Not sure about the crew, I think they can use them.

Just now, Cmdrdogsworth said:

Hmm.  Whats an example of an efficiency part for a sifter?  Maybe I'm just dumb.  

Hrm, I just took a look at the cfg and it doesn't have an MKSModule eTag set, which means (afaik) it can't use efficiency parts. This is odd, since the changelog explicitly said they now used eff. parts. Did something get left out of a commit?

As for crew, they use GeologySkill, which is found in Engineers and Geologists.