[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Any idea why MKS seems to think I have TAC-LS installed? I did not install it.  ModuleManager is using the TAC-LS patch and changing all of my recyclers to use TAC-LS resources instead of MKS.  It also appears to be messing with my agricultural modules.

Spoiler

Line 11955: [LOG 19:21:46.808] Config(@PART[*_AgModule]:NEEDS[TACLifeSupport]) UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*_AgModule]:NEEDS[TACLifeSupport]
    Line 11956: [LOG 19:21:46.809] Config(@PART[*_Agriculture|*_Agriculture250|*_Agriculture375]:NEEDS[TACLifeSupport]) UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*_Agriculture|*_Agriculture250|*_Agriculture375]:NEEDS[TACLifeSupport]
    Line 11957: [LOG 19:21:46.811] Config(@PART[*_Aeroponics]:NEEDS[TACLifeSupport]) UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*_Aeroponics]:NEEDS[TACLifeSupport]
    Line 11958: [LOG 19:21:46.812] Config(@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]]:NEEDS[TACLifeSupport]) UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]]:NEEDS[TACLifeSupport]
    Line 21631: [LOG 19:22:36.351] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*_AgModule] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Ranger_AgModule/PART
    Line 21632: [LOG 19:22:36.352] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*_Agriculture|*_Agriculture250|*_Agriculture375] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Duna_Agriculture/PART
    Line 21633: [LOG 19:22:36.353] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*_Agriculture|*_Agriculture250|*_Agriculture375] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Tundra_Agriculture250/PART
    Line 21634: [LOG 19:22:36.354] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*_Agriculture|*_Agriculture250|*_Agriculture375] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Tundra_Agriculture375/PART
    Line 21635: [LOG 19:22:36.375] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Command/command-pods/command-mk3-9/PART
    Line 21636: [LOG 19:22:36.377] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Command/command-pods/command-mk4-1/PART
    Line 21637: [LOG 19:22:36.378] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to NearFutureSpacecraft/Parts/Command/command-pods/command-ppd-1/PART
    Line 21638: [LOG 19:22:36.379] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to Squad/Parts/Science/LargeCrewedLab/largeCrewedLab/PART
    Line 21639: [LOG 19:22:36.381] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Rigid/station-125/sspx-core-125-1/PART
    Line 21640: [LOG 19:22:36.382] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Rigid/station-125/sspx-utility-125-1/PART
    Line 21641: [LOG 19:22:36.383] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Rigid/station-25/sspx-core-25-1/PART
    Line 21642: [LOG 19:22:36.384] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Rigid/station-25/sspx-greenhouse-25-1/PART
    Line 21643: [LOG 19:22:36.385] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Rigid/station-375/sspx-aquaculture-375-1/PART
    Line 21644: [LOG 19:22:36.387] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Rigid/station-375/sspx-core-375-1/PART
    Line 21645: [LOG 19:22:36.388] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Rigid/station-375/sspx-greenhouse-375-1/PART
    Line 21646: [LOG 19:22:36.389] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to StationPartsExpansionRedux/Parts/Rigid/station-375/sspx-lab-375-1/PART
    Line 21647: [LOG 19:22:36.391] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT/Parts/FTT_Pod_375_01/PART
    Line 21648: [LOG 19:22:36.392] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/LifeSupport/Parts/LgRecycler/PART
    Line 21649: [LOG 19:22:36.393] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/LifeSupport/Parts/Recycler/PART
    Line 21650: [LOG 19:22:36.394] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/Malemute/Parts/RoverScienceLab/PART
    Line 21651: [LOG 19:22:36.396] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Duna_Kerbitat/PART
    Line 21652: [LOG 19:22:36.397] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Duna_Pioneer/PART
    Line 21653: [LOG 19:22:36.398] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Salamander/PART
    Line 21654: [LOG 19:22:36.400] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Tundra_Kerbitat250/PART
    Line 21655: [LOG 19:22:36.401] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Tundra_Kerbitat375/PART
    Line 21656: [LOG 19:22:36.402] [ModuleManager] Applying update UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Patches/TAC-LS/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleLifeSupportRecycler]] to UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Tundra_PioneerLC/PART

KSP.log

Edited by Elysium

13 hours ago, Elysium said:

Any idea why MKS seems to think I have TAC-LS installed? I did not install it.  ModuleManager is using the TAC-LS patch and changing all of my recyclers to use TAC-LS resources instead of MKS.  It also appears to be messing with my agricultural modules.

An extremely common error in writing MM patches is to write ':FOR[ModName]' instead of ':NEEDS[ModName]' - if some other mod you have installed has that error and specifies TAC-LS as the mod, it would cause this behavior.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

An extremely common error in writing MM patches is to write ':FOR[ModName]' instead of ':NEEDS[ModName]' - if some other mod you have installed has that error and specifies TAC-LS as the mod, it would cause this behavior.

Thank you for the reply.  It would appear you have recently discovered what I am about to say, but for those who are having a similar issue the culprit was due to a recent update to Near Future Spacecraft.  Deleting the TAC-LS patch in NF Spacecraft will resolve this issue, although I assume there will be a hotfix within the next week or two.

I've been struggling with the flexotubes.  I put my Duna parts base on Minimus in my career game and tried to connect them and realized I couldn't get the flexotubes to attach.  Simply put, the right click menu only showed camera controls and disassemble part. 

So to rule  out some of the complexity, I went into sandbox and created the setup in the attached photo.  Basically, it is two Pioneers sitting across from one another.  They are deployed.  I've got Flexotubes attached to their ports with the door facing out (not the text side that says face to ship).  Good old Bill has his electric screwdriver equipped and is next to one of the tubes.  When I right click, I just get Aim Camera, Reset Camera, and Disassemble Part.  No Link option like I usually get for KAS items.  Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

vQUZ6Th.jpg

I know you have to be pretty close to start the link - you could try getting your Kerbal closer to the tube.  (Other than that, I don't see anything wrong.  You shouldn't even need the screwdriver at this point.)

57 minutes ago, IgnatiusKerman said:

@DStaal, Thanks for the reply!  I've tried being so close poor Bill bonks his dome on the thing.  

Sounds like you should be close enough.  Probably next is if you could post a link to log files of you trying.

извените за вопрос, а русская версия мода будет?

In English (via Google translate) "sorry for the question, but the Russian version of the mod will be?".

Please post in English outside of the Russian forum, thank you. 

Пожалуйста, напишите на английском языке за пределами Российского форума, спасибо.

Hi, I'm building a refinery for a mining base I'm building at a border between the Mun's midlands and highlands, which should have access to all raw resources (need to double check that, though).

I'm checking the 10th slide here https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1MF9iXJfcId5jF0TCA_gln0vcCXHmlHQK_Y83DvOLBvE/pub?start=false&loop=true&delayms=3000#slide=id.g1eec1a52be_0_0

and according to it I need two Industrial Refineries and one Assembly Plant to process all resources except for greenhouses/fertilizer and uranium. But how are the Bay configurations supposed to be set up? I mean, they aren't labeled as, for instance "silicates to silicon". I'm setting them up this way

v5kqde9.png

But is this way right or will it need adjustments? Also, what's the MPU for? Is it some sort of improved ISRU?

6 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

and according to it I need two Industrial Refineries and one Assembly Plant to process all resources except for greenhouses/fertilizer and uranium. But how are the Bay configurations supposed to be set up? I mean, they aren't labeled as, for instance "silicates to silicon". I'm setting them up this way

I don't know what you're producing, but the resource on the left is what it will produce and the one on the right is what it will switch to producing on clicking the button on the same row (since it cycles through the bays, you can skip them out with the buttons underneath). Hovering over it in the part menu will tell you what each one needs and produces. I don't know what you want to produce (but note the ag support module won't work since it has no machinery).

9 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

But is this way right or will it need adjustments? Also, what's the MPU for? Is it some sort of improved ISRU?

The MPU is very similar to an ISRU, except it does not use the crew multiplier. Normally output rate is multiplied by 0.05 + (lvl of best engineer on board + 1) * 0.2 (e.g. a lvl3 engineer would give a mult of 0.85), but MPUs disregard this and lock it to 1 (slightly slower than an equivalent manned ISRU would have with a lvl4 engineer). This means they are well suited to unmanned operations, since they don't suffer from the crippling 5% multiplier manned ISRUs get with no engineer or technician on board. They also have integrated planetary logistics push ability, so you don't need a logistics module. The automated drill variants also follow the same crew multiplier rules.

I'm beating my head against the wall here so I'm hoping someone can help me out. 

I've got a base landed on Minimus with two logistics modules, a Duna and a Tundra. Both are attached, the Tundra currently has a pilot. I'm not sure if this matters, but the Tundra module was part of a kerbal rescue mission. I saved the kerbal and completed the mission and dragged the module back to my base and attached it. 

1.9km away I have an automated drilling platform. It has 2 containers with local and planetary logistics functions on. Attached to that platform is a Duna logistics module without a pilot. 

The drilling platform is set-up for hydrates and both warehouses are full but neither will push to planetary logistics, nor is the hydrate station visible on local logistics. 

Am I missing something in the set-up? The docs say that an unpiloted logistics module and warehouse containers can push to Planetary Logistics without a crewed logistics part. Is this still true? 

16 minutes ago, squidflakes said:

I'm beating my head against the wall here so I'm hoping someone can help me out. 

I've got a base landed on Minimus with two logistics modules, a Duna and a Tundra. Both are attached, the Tundra currently has a pilot. I'm not sure if this matters, but the Tundra module was part of a kerbal rescue mission. I saved the kerbal and completed the mission and dragged the module back to my base and attached it. 

1.9km away I have an automated drilling platform. It has 2 containers with local and planetary logistics functions on. Attached to that platform is a Duna logistics module without a pilot. 

The drilling platform is set-up for hydrates and both warehouses are full but neither will push to planetary logistics, nor is the hydrate station visible on local logistics. 

Am I missing something in the set-up? The docs say that an unpiloted logistics module and warehouse containers can push to Planetary Logistics without a crewed logistics part. Is this still true? 

Could you provide some screenshots? I can't see any issues from the description alone, and unmanned logistics modules can still push.

Are there any restrictions with using Karbonite and logistics? I have a mining station with a Duna logistics module, and it does not push to planetary, nor can I move resources between it and an empty Karbonite container.

Picture:

Spoiler

nOsU9Ge.jpg

37 minutes ago, Lord_Potato said:

Are there any restrictions with using Karbonite and logistics? I have a mining station with a Duna logistics module, and it does not push to planetary, nor can I move resources between it and an empty Karbonite container.

Picture:

Hide contents

nOsU9Ge.jpg

your tank is turned off.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:29 AM, RoverDude said:

There's a wiki, and KSPedia.  What is lacking?

Pls don't shoot the messenger, but was a fair assessment.  There is a large body of out-of-date, conflicting and incomplete info regarding the MKS systems in general floating around the web (out of your control, I'm sure).  To get my first real ground base working, I had to pull info from at least 20 web/forum sources, and even then it was mostly trial-and-error on the launch pad to figure things out.  This is very much a case of "if you know what you're looking for, it's easy to find", and it likely seems trivial to those who already know how it works, but for people trying to figure out how it all fits together the first time... well, I think most give up before succeeding, which is a shame as it's such a robust and rewarding undertaking.

Edited by Chilkoot
clairty

12 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Hi, I'm building a refinery for a mining base I'm building at a border between the Mun's midlands and highlands, which should have access to all raw resources

Just so you know, the drills in separate biomes must *not* be connected (must not be part of the same structure), or they will use the resource concentration found beneath the 'root' part of the entire structure, and you will lose the advantage of drilling in multiple biomes.

For example:  Your midlands have a Uranite concentration of 0%, but your highlands have a concentration of 10%.  Your main base with all the processing is on the midlands, but needing Uranite, you extend a wing out onto the nearby highlands and place a few drills there.  The new drills in the highlands will 'think' they are in the Midlands, as the root part of your base sits in the midlands, and these new drills will not produce any Uranite.

The way around this is to create a new, smaller, disconnected base in the highlands with power/cooling/storage and put your drills there.  You can optionally use the "-A" drill variants, as they are automated and you won't need to have an engineer housed there for efficiency.  As long as you have some Uranite storage attached to this mini mining outpost, if it is in range, it will use the MKS Logistics feature, and can share resource with storage in your main base (you must have Uranite storage in both the main base and the smaller base for this to work).  This way, it can be disconnected and gain the benefit of the separate biome, but still share resources with the main base for processing.

11 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Pls don't shoot the messenger, but was a fair assessment.  There is a large body of out-of-date, conflicting and incomplete info regarding the MKS systems in general floating around the web (out of your control, I'm sure).  To get my first real ground base working, I had to pull info from at least 20 web/forum sources, and even then it was mostly trial-and-error on the launch pad to figure things out.  This is very much a case of "if you know what you're looking for, it's easy to find", and it likely seems trivial to those who already know how it works, but for people trying to figure out how it all fits together the first time... well, I think most give up before succeeding, which is a shame as it's such a robust and rewarding undertaking.

As far as I can tell, no one is saying the wiki is perfect, but specific examples of what is missing or out of date will make it much more practical to make the fixes you are requesting.

As you said, if you know what to look for, then it is fairly easy to find what you want, and as RoverDude wrote much of the Wiki, he will need the perspective of an outsider to identify things that are hard to find for other people.

Also, if you point out specific things, then anyone who knows about that thing can go do a quick write-up on the wiki.

Example: Even though I have made several updates to the wiki, I would not consider myself nearly expert enough to give it a 'it's broken, fix it!' overhaul, but if you found that the conversion rates have changed, I would not have a problem with going back and updating it(again).

4 hours ago, Terwin said:

As far as I can tell, no one is saying the wiki is perfect, but specific examples of what is missing or out of date will make it much more practical to make the fixes you are requesting.

As you said, if you know what to look for, then it is fairly easy to find what you want, and as RoverDude wrote much of the Wiki, he will need the perspective of an outsider to identify things that are hard to find for other people.

Also, if you point out specific things, then anyone who knows about that thing can go do a quick write-up on the wiki.

Example: Even though I have made several updates to the wiki, I would not consider myself nearly expert enough to give it a 'it's broken, fix it!' overhaul, but if you found that the conversion rates have changed, I would not have a problem with going back and updating it(again).

First off, let me apologize for how that note came across.  The wiki and KSPedia entries for MKS are better than those for 99% of the mods out there, and the work people put into writing and maintaining the docs and diagrams is very much appreciated.

The difficulty is that MKS adds a *lot* of stuff, so the challenge is making a body of docs that's both complete as a reference for advanced players but also accessible to beginners.  I've written a fair number of game manuals in the past, and as I mull over ways to present this topic, I realize how big of a challenge it would be.

I don't know how much time I could commit to assisting with a refresh, but I have a *few* ideas on presentation to help ease people into the mechanics.  Whether they'd be better than what's there is debatable...  writing great game documentation is a pretty big undertaking when you have complex systems like with MKS.  I'll try to carve out some time to draft something up and send it over if you're interested - there may be some idea nuggets in there that would be helpful.

Question:  Is there a small KIS-sized container to carry around some MK and SP for EVA maintenance/swap operations?

I have some automated (unmanned) drilling platforms scattered in a radius around my main base.  From time to time, I want to change what materials are being mined/processed/stored, and that means sending over a Kerbal on EVA.  As these swap operations require Material Kits and Specialized Parts, I'm trying to find a small "maintenance kit" container that holds some of each (maybe 100/25), which the Kerbal engineer can carry around on EVA.

Does anyone know if something like this exists?  I guess something like the Karry Kan, but which would hold MK+SP in a 4:1 ratio, or even separate containers would work.  Thanks in advance for any leads.

5 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

Question:  Is there a small KIS-sized container to carry around some MK and SP for EVA maintenance/swap operations?

I have some automated (unmanned) drilling platforms scattered in a radius around my main base.  From time to time, I want to change what materials are being mined/processed/stored, and that means sending over a Kerbal on EVA.  As these swap operations require Material Kits and Specialized Parts, I'm trying to find a small "maintenance kit" container that holds some of each (maybe 100/25), which the Kerbal engineer can carry around on EVA.

Does anyone know if something like this exists?  I guess something like the Karry Kan, but which would hold MK+SP in a 4:1 ratio, or even separate containers would work.  Thanks in advance for any leads.

The MKS-V Supply Redi-Pak can be carried around by the kerbal in place of a jetpack, though it can only hold one lot of supplies at once. It would probably be easy to reconfigure to carry a mix of each (the swapping ratio is 5MKT:1SP), and I'll add it in as a pull request if it's possible when I get time.

10 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The MKS-V Supply Redi-Pak can be carried around by the kerbal in place of a jetpack, though it can only hold one lot of supplies at once. It would probably be easy to reconfigure to carry a mix of each (the swapping ratio is 5MKT:1SP), and I'll add it in as a pull request if it's possible when I get time.

+1 to this, but I also wanted to mention that having a small Akita rover that can carry these around - and has a KAS port to dock in to the various platforms - can make this type of thing simpler.

Another option for parts is the SK-62 Supply Kontainer (also carryable) - which fits nicely on an Akita bed.  You could build it to carry two, and do everything in one trip.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

+1 to this, but I also wanted to mention that having a small Akita rover that can carry these around - and has a KAS port to dock in to the various platforms - can make this type of thing simpler.

Another option for parts is the SK-62 Supply Kontainer (also carryable) - which fits nicely on an Akita bed.  You could build it to carry two, and do everything in one trip.

I've also just realized the inflatable storage module - when uninflated - can hold a small supply of material kits, specialized parts, and machinery too.  An engineer's bag of tricks for field maintenance.  I *have* been using the Akita for maintenance circuits, but in very low gravity and with rough terrain it can be pretty hard to manage with any kind of load (like anything with wheels), so I wanted to try either walking or EVA flying as an alternative.