[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Hey I'm having issues with the 500 series drills and the industrial strip miner. Seemingly no matter how many radiators or MKS Ranger thermal control units I put on my test rigs those two drill units always overheat. I had at one point 16 of the MKS thermal units as well as a tweak scaled radiator able to dissipate more than a gigawatt of heat but even a single 500 series drill with all the separators running will overheat. I'm not sure what's going on.

I checked the log file and there were some errors and warnings related to interstellar fuel switch, didn't see anything else that I thought would interfere with MKS.

Log started: Sun, Jun 17, 2018 11:44:02

[LOG 11:44:03.056] AppCanvas MASK: 3458764513820540928
[LOG 11:44:03.070] MainCanvas MASK: 3458764513820540928
[LOG 11:44:03.104] PhysicsGlobals: Loading database
[LOG 11:44:03.139] [SpaceNavigatorWindows]: No device found.
[LOG 11:44:03.142] ActionCanvas MASK: 3458764513820540928
[ERR 11:44:13.577] Failed to decompress data for the AssetBundle 'Memory'.

[ERR 11:44:13.577] FontLoader: Bundle is null

[WRN 11:44:13.930] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\000_FilterExtensions_Configs\Default\Mod_AJE.cfg'.
[WRN 11:44:24.232] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ContractConfigurator\Agencies\Agents.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.902] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.902] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\CCFULLSetups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.902] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.902] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\CDT12Setups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.903] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.903] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\CDT4Setups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.903] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.903] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\CDT7Setups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.904] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.904] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\CTFULLSetups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.971] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.971] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\ISTFULLSetups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.973] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.973] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\PGTFULLSetups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.973] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.973] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\RFCFULLSetups.cfg'.
[WRN 11:44:26.974] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\TankRevampPatches.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.981] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.981] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\ActiveMMPatches\CCFULLSetups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.982] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.982] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\ActiveMMPatches\CDT7Setups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:26.982] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:26.982] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\ActiveMMPatches\CTFULLSetups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:27.350] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:27.350] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\ActiveMMPatches\ISTFULLSetups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:27.351] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:27.351] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\ActiveMMPatches\PGTFULLSetups.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:27.352] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:27.352] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\PatchManager\ActiveMMPatches\RFCFULLSetups.cfg'.
[WRN 11:44:35.499] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\TweakScale\Examples.cfg'.
[ERR 11:44:36.967] Error: Empty part config file

[WRN 11:44:36.967] Cannot create config from file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\LifeSupport\Resources.cfg'.
[LOG 11:44:42.875] Load(Assembly): /MiniAVC

I've got a manufacturing base on Minmus, it works well but my system tanks to ~6fps and is painful to use when I'm here even though the part counts are pretty low for each structure.  Interestingly, it's  much more . . . tolerable when I'm focused 150m away.

This is my base:

umM24mF.png

What would be needed to spread it out more, but help keep all the local logistics working with transferring the stuff around from the warehouse that's recieving it from my unmanned drilling stations, to my manufacturing facility, to the assembly plant with the launchpad?

8 hours ago, tsaven said:

What would be needed to spread it out more, but help keep all the local logistics working with transferring the stuff around from the warehouse that's recieving it from my unmanned drilling stations, to my manufacturing facility, to the assembly plant with the launchpad?

You can add a part with the Resource Distributor module (Karibou and Malemute cabs, there may be more) to a central module (intended to be a rover, but it can be static) with storage for the various resources and a pilot, and it will form a resource distribution hub with a range of up to 2km. I think it transfers both ways.

Side note: do you have Kopernicus installed? I found it causes horrible lag for Minmus bases.

Hi

Simple question. Does anyone else have issues with T credits stop being produced when switching away from the vehicle. When i start T credits it is produxing and seems works ok (dont see anywahere though that shows me how many has been produced). When i switch away from the vehicle and back agai , the vehicle menu says Start T credits again. So i assume as soon as ive switched away it has stopped producing.

Running ksp 1.4.3 with latest usi mods off git hub website.

12 hours ago, Bionic bulldog said:

Hi

Simple question. Does anyone else have issues with T credits stop being produced when switching away from the vehicle. When i start T credits it is produxing and seems works ok (dont see anywahere though that shows me how many has been produced). When i switch away from the vehicle and back agai , the vehicle menu says Start T credits again. So i assume as soon as ive switched away it has stopped producing.

Running ksp 1.4.3 with latest usi mods off git hub website.

I did, but I'm still using a 1.3.1 version. My workaround was to do a x100 warp with the base in focus to generate enough T credits for what I needed.

On 6/18/2018 at 4:20 AM, voicey99 said:

You can add a part with the Resource Distributor module (Karibou and Malemute cabs, there may be more) to a central module (intended to be a rover, but it can be static) with storage for the various resources and a pilot, and it will form a resource distribution hub with a range of up to 2km. I think it transfers both ways.

Side note: do you have Kopernicus installed? I found it causes horrible lag for Minmus bases.

Thanks.  Will this hub also need to have storage for all of the different resources that need to be transferred around?

I do have Kopernicus installed, as part of OPM.  I hadn't thought that was related to the performance problems, as the massive hits to framerates only really kick in once I'm within 150m.

5 hours ago, tsaven said:

Thanks.  Will this hub also need to have storage for all of the different resources that need to be transferred around?

I believe it does, as it will act as a central distribution point for them.

5 hours ago, tsaven said:

I do have Kopernicus installed, as part of OPM.  I hadn't thought that was related to the performance problems, as the massive hits to framerates only really kick in once I'm within 150m.

It was very unexpected to me as well. It creates massive lag problems that get especially bad when very close to bases, and when I removed Kopernicus as a test it ran orders of magnitude better. Still, I'd be inclined to put up with the lag for the sake of modded planets.

Hey all,

I've tried searching around but haven't found anyone with this issue. I've setup my first MKS base. It's on Duna and every time I've opened up the base the connectors are quite broken. It's like there was an earthquake and only some of the parts actually settled. The only remedy is to take apart the whole section that's messed up & reassemble. I've had to do this so much that I'm almost out of the 20,000 MatKits I brought in (I've only brought 1 workshop & 1 hab). Not to mention the time wasted shifting materials between storages so they CAN be disconnected.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Some secret setup the game & it's physics won't hate? See the screenshots in this albumn to see what I mean.
https://imgur.com/a/nmqo8ko

Oh and I am use ground tethers to try to avoid this but it doesn't help. Also if I don't enable those my base just slides around, especially if i time warp.

2 hours ago, MrFancyPL said:

Hello, does someone know that Drills from MKS are working on asteroids ?

Unless something has changed, they do not. AFAIK only the stock units will mine an asteroid. 

4 minutes ago, DefenderX1 said:

Hey all,

I've tried searching around but haven't found anyone with this issue. I've setup my first MKS base. It's on Duna and every time I've opened up the base the connectors are quite broken. It's like there was an earthquake and only some of the parts actually settled. The only remedy is to take apart the whole section that's messed up & reassemble. I've had to do this so much that I'm almost out of the 20,000 MatKits I brought in (I've only brought 1 workshop & 1 hab). Not to mention the time wasted shifting materials between storages so they CAN be disconnected.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this? Some secret setup the game & it's physics won't hate? See the screenshots in this albumn to see what I mean.
https://imgur.com/a/nmqo8ko

Oh and I am use ground tethers to try to avoid this but it doesn't help. Also if I don't enable those my base just slides around, especially if i time warp.

Not sure if this is any help. But yes i have had this problem even with ground tethering. I found my issue being caused by some third part landing struts and wheels and KIS pipes. Now i dont use the pipes  and only use the usi landing legs on a fixed base. Not had the problem since

Ooh that's good, I am using the pipes, mainly so I could transfer resources from my landing rover to the base. The only landing legs/struts i'm using are the ones pre-installed on the Duna series and the scout lander.

I'll move all the stuff over, re-assemble the base again and hopefully that'll take care of it!

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that the various logistics methods remove the need to have connected bases. Maybe I'm missing something, but moving stuff around seems to be only part of the reason you need a connected base. The two main things I'm thinking about are efficiency parts & habitation. As far as I'm aware, a structure with lots of habitation & efficiency parts has no effect on nearby structures' habitation or efficiency. 

Practically, doesn't this mean that all the manned portions of your base should be connected to share habitation? Otherwise, it seems like you'd have to manually cycle in/out kerbals from the detached portions as their hab time ran low.

1 hour ago, adgriff2 said:

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that the various logistics methods remove the need to have connected bases. Maybe I'm missing something, but moving stuff around seems to be only part of the reason you need a connected base. The two main things I'm thinking about are efficiency parts & habitation. As far as I'm aware, a structure with lots of habitation & efficiency parts has no effect on nearby structures' habitation or efficiency. 

Practically, doesn't this mean that all the manned portions of your base should be connected to share habitation? Otherwise, it seems like you'd have to manually cycle in/out kerbals from the detached portions as their hab time ran low.

Habitation also works disconnected :)  as do efficiency parts.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Habitation also works disconnected :)  as do efficiency parts.

Oh man, that's great! I just re-read the wiki and didn't see any mention of this at all... What are ranges of habitation & efficiency sharing? 150m/2km w/rover? Planet surface? SOI?

Hi. I think I may know the answer but want to check anyway.

I have only recently switched to using Ground construction DIY kits rather than EL. I have both MKS and GC 2 Installed. (All latest from GitHub). 

So far everything appears ok except for one thing. If I try to make a DIY kit and the vessel has MKS drills on it, the kit when deployed just keeps growing until it explodes. If I remove just the drills from the vessel and try again kit deploys ok ready for construction.

I'm told that MKS is bundled with GC1 and it awaiting update to gc2. I know I have installed GC2 and to get them to work and show icons I have had to Install MKS after the GC2. Is MKS overwriting something and this is why my DIY kits are not deploying when I have drills attached?

Running ksp 1.4.3

4 minutes ago, Bionic bulldog said:

So far everything appears ok except for one thing. If I try to make a DIY kit and the vessel has MKS drills on it, the kit when deployed just keeps growing until it explodes. If I remove just the drills from the vessel and try again kit deploys ok ready for construction. 

I believe drills are a known issue for Ground Construction.

Long-time lurker, first time poster. Goes without saying but I'll say it again anyway - awesome mod, at minimum doubles the life of this game.

With that important intro given, please could someone kindly advise as to the 'latest best' versions of MKS, USI tools, etc. to use for 1.3.1? 

I'm playing on RO so don't expect to be updating to 1.4.x anytime soon. I'm still running on the versions as of about Dec '17, but keen to try out orbital logistics and get proper fixes to replace my ham-fisted MM patches and (gulp) direct cfg edits for the various fixes, rebalancings and other improvements since then. Appreciate RO will mean other new patches for fuels etc., happy to take those as they come.

From following the thread I've seen various comments about issues with drills and so on, with helpful input about using XYZ versions but not quite bringing it all together (that I could follow). I understand at this point there won't be any further 'official' 1.3.1 updates.

Thanks all.

hey all, have played a bit thru the 1.3.1? version, but due to steam sale i picked up the official dlc today. my question for roverdude is there a plan for a modpack update sometime soonish? or is it being tweaked for the next release?

how buggy is the current system  of mks and life support with 1.4.3?

edit : oh yeah, what about the konstellation? got any links?

Edited by eonmoon
thoughts

9 minutes ago, eonmoon said:

hey all, have played a bit thru the 1.3.1? version, but due to steam sale i picked up the official dlc today. my question for roverdude is there a plan for a modpack update sometime soonish? or is it being tweaked for the next release?

how buggy is the current system  of mks and life support with 1.4.3?

edit : oh yeah, what about the konstellation? got any links?

Current version works fine (and is compiled for) with 1.4.x.  RoverDude just hasn't updated his thread headings.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:12 AM, voicey99 said:

I believe it does, as it will act as a central distribution point for them.

Hmmm, that's a problem as It will have to be every resource.  This whole facility I built to make SpecParts and other highly refined stuff.

Is there no more elegant way to accomplish this? 

I'll try removing Kopernicus/OPM as a test.  And maybe have to put my manufacturing facility on the Mun and just deal with the deeper gravity well.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Also since 1.4.4 is out... it's time for a large update :)

sigh  Time to recall all my kerbals back to kerbin and then wait for all of the other mods to catch up.  Curse you, Roverdude!

(Kidding, this mod is awesome)

this foxy is waiting for the proper post of the latest? konstellation if its up, or the like.

also how is the 20m parts coming along? giving you issues?

oh! anyone got link to a good tutorial vid on setting up a base? I haven't gotten that far, just recently restarted playing. was ground trothing minmus, science farming biomes, while running land scans.