[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

12 hours ago, Deredere said:

Did this never happen? Did I just spend 2 hours trying to figure out how to build off-world to no end except "install EPL"?

The part with PR did happen, i.e. the proper version of GC was included in MKS repo. As for the MKS release, I don't really know, but was under the impression that it also did.

Currently there's another PR with GC 2.1 that adds the long requested orbital construction to completely supersede ELP; but as far as I know, RoverDude is occupied with his job and family for the last months , so again, we all have to be patient. Life comes first.

In any case, you can always install the standalone version of GC, which will work just fine with MKS. The difference with the bundled version is that some parts and features are excluded so as not to interfere with the ways USI runs things.

I currently use MKS full installs with full GC2 install and can confirm this as working for 1.4.5.

My first shipment is usually the DIYkit containing the factory coupled with a powerplant.

The second one is usually manned with containers, habitats, recyclers and logistics module for planetary storage.

The drillsites is either unmanned for a single resource gather, or a manned mini outpost with converters if i have two or more resources with good concentration in the same spot.

This minimizes need for many storage at the factory.

I have shuttlerovers for intrabase movement and spaceshuttles for between outposts travel.

19 hours ago, allista said:

The part with PR did happen, i.e. the proper version of GC was included in MKS repo. As for the MKS release, I don't really know, but was under the impression that it also did.

Currently there's another PR with GC 2.1 that adds the long requested orbital construction to completely supersede ELP; but as far as I know, RoverDude is occupied with his job and family for the last months , so again, we all have to be patient. Life comes first.

In any case, you can always install the standalone version of GC, which will work just fine with MKS. The difference with the bundled version is that some parts and features are excluded so as not to interfere with the ways USI runs things.

Oh, right on. Thanks. I can probably manage a few spare parts.

One thing I'll miss from EPL (which was a nightmare, I'm not super sad it's gone) is being able to make tiny things, like an one-man shuttle pod, or a KIS box with a small part in it, without having to orchestrate a shipyard. Would be cool if things like that could be completed inside the assembly space. I should probably post this in your thread but I'm lazy and stupid. Anyway, thanks.

4 hours ago, Deredere said:

Oh, right on. Thanks. I can probably manage a few spare parts.

One thing I'll miss from EPL (which was a nightmare, I'm not super sad it's gone) is being able to make tiny things, like an one-man shuttle pod, or a KIS box with a small part in it, without having to orchestrate a shipyard. Would be cool if things like that could be completed inside the assembly space. I should probably post this in your thread but I'm lazy and stupid. Anyway, thanks.

With the current architecture this could be done in principle, but I need to make another special container module that will not be resizable and be destroyed when the resulting vessel is spawned inside. I consider this a feature request. Thanks for the idea.

https://github.com/allista/GroundConstruction/issues/41

Edited by allista

On 9/19/2018 at 12:12 AM, Deredere said:

Have you tried OSE Workshop Continued?

yeah, a great bit. ohno, i forgot to add a few  of  'x' item, getting there and finding your missing  a wrench after a weeks travel...

welp thats what 3d printers are for! and was actually used by our own real life astronauts, a 3d blueprint sent and printed for a monkey wrench up there. i know its a proof of concept. but reallly neat

My install isn't crashing, but it is hanging on UmbraSpaceIndustries/Karibou/Parts/KER_SABRE/KER_SABRE .  There's also some error about a null pointer reference right before (on screen debug log on).

EDIT: What fixed it for me was reinstalling everything.  So something had gotten corrupted.

Edited by mbaryu
Fixed

I'm having power issues with the MEU-500A. I've designed a bunch of automated miners to provide resources to my Minmus and Mun bases through planetary logistics - basically, they are a 1.25m MPU, a 1.25m nuclear reactor (200 ec/s) and a MEU-500A with three drillheads operating, configured for whatever resources are abundant in the biome they are stationed. When I first built them, the 1.25m reactor was good enough to feed the drill and the reactors. 6 game years have gone through, so I'm now sending rovers to refill the reactors' nuclear fuel and the reactors are completely unable to keep up with the power consumption - they can barely keep one drill head going.

Each drill head also reports a 1217% load. The same ship, tested at Kerbin, reports a 100% load and the reactor is perfectly capable of putting up with the electric consumption. Is the load difference due the geology bonus? That bonus is at about 350% at the Mun and Minmus. Is the extra electric consumption related to the far higher load? And is it intended behavior? I also have Near Future Electrics, if that makes any difference. The reactors are all the MKS ones, though.

26 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

Each drill head also reports a 1217% load. The same ship, tested at Kerbin, reports a 100% load and the reactor is perfectly capable of putting up with the electric consumption. Is the load difference due the geology bonus? That bonus is at about 350% at the Mun and Minmus. Is the extra electric consumption related to the far higher load? And is it intended behavior? I also have Near Future Electrics, if that makes any difference. The reactors are all the MKS ones, though.

The production multiplier is the geology rating as a decimal squared (e.g. 350% gives a 3.5^2 = 12.25x multiplier), so yes. Electricity consumption scales with load, and if it's too high for you to keep up with you can reduce the governor slider to throttle back their production.

Hi! I'm having an issue where not every part from MKS is showing up ingame.

I've installed everything manually so I don't have to worry about any problems from CKAN, and the majority of the parts from the mod(s) is showing except the:

"Tundra Agriculture Support Module"

"Tundra Industrial Refinery"

"Tundra Assembly plant"

"Orca command module"

Other than these parts everything is working fine with no problems. But this means I can't create some parts/resources for my base :/

If anyone have any idea of what could be the issue, any help is greatly appreciated!

I know this mod supported EPL in the past, but does it still? If it still does, then what are the differences between the bundled Global Construction and EPL? Do you need to fly those kits for Global Construction from the KSC every time, or does it work just like EPL?

1 hour ago, Micro753 said:

I know this mod supported EPL in the past, but does it still? If it still does, then what are the differences between the bundled Global Construction and EPL? Do you need to fly those kits for Global Construction from the KSC every time, or does it work just like EPL?

It unofficially supports EPL.  The MKS specific parts are deprecated, and the EPL configs are community maintained.  For Global construction I would recommend just reading that thread to learn how it works.  That's what its thread is for.

So, huh, Medical bays. I sent a rescue mission to a ship running out of fuel and out of hab time. Two out of three crewmembers had turned into tourists. So I send a ship which includes a 2.5m Tundra Medical Bay and 4500 colony supplies, dock with the stranded ship and transfer the stranded crew into to Medical Bay. There is a scientist from the rescue ship in the Bay. I toggle the Medbay and Life support status windows show their hab times already over a year (they were also starving, the rescue ship has supplies as well), the Med Bay is consuming power and colony supplies, but the kerbals who had turned into tourists remain tourists. So far, the med bay has consumed about 600 colony supplies over several days. Does it just need to consume more colony supplies?

8 hours ago, juanml82 said:

So, huh, Medical bays. I sent a rescue mission to a ship running out of fuel and out of hab time. Two out of three crewmembers had turned into tourists. So I send a ship which includes a 2.5m Tundra Medical Bay and 4500 colony supplies, dock with the stranded ship and transfer the stranded crew into to Medical Bay. There is a scientist from the rescue ship in the Bay. I toggle the Medbay and Life support status windows show their hab times already over a year (they were also starving, the rescue ship has supplies as well), the Med Bay is consuming power and colony supplies, but the kerbals who had turned into tourists remain tourists. So far, the med bay has consumed about 600 colony supplies over several days. Does it just need to consume more colony supplies?

IIRC the longer they have been tourists for due to expired habtime, the longer they will need to spend in the medbay to be brought back. I don't know the exact numbers, though. Also check your save file and search for the crew names to check their "oldTrait" and "trait" entries haven't changed to "tourist".

I have a suggestion. I dunno if this is the place to leave it. Something for the end game.

Artificial Gravity. An extremely high tech research along the lines of warp drive that gives you a loooot of habitation. Somethign that requires decent power to run. And by decent i mean nuclear reactors won't cut it.

11 hours ago, sabreheim said:

So ive come back to KSP after a while away, and while going thru the modules i noticed that the Logistics Module makes "Transport Credits". What exactly are these for?

It's the resource consumed by Orbital Logistics. https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Logistics)#orbital-logistics-within-a-sphere-of-influence

I'm having a bug with kerbals who are supposed to turn from tourists back to their original jobs. That rescue mission I've mentioned before ended with both ships colliding when undocking and the kerbals portrait missing. I initially believed the undocking issue was related to something else and managed to separate the ships by disassembling parts, using the cheats and going back to the Tracking Station to delete the last pieces of the older ship. And I let the newer rescue ship in Duna's orbit, waiting for the transfer window to Kerbin. The Life Support window stopped showing information on all kerbals, when brought up from any vessel. I had figured something got bugged there and that it would sort itself out once I returned the crew to Kerbin.

In the meantime, I had a Jool exploration mission scheduled to arrive to Tylo. I landed a crew of three in a rover, they've emptied the on board supplies while waiting for the isru kit to refuel (I'm wondering if the engineer was applying the bonus to the Feline Utility Rover Isru part, as it took 15 kerbal days to refuel), and starved into tourist mode. When I put the rover back into orbit and docked it back to the mothership, the kerbals feed from the supplies on board the mothership, thus getting restored back to their original professions. However, the text in their portraits kept indicating "turista" (I started the career with the game set to English, then at some point Steam changed it back to the system language (spanish)). After the mothership left Tylo's soi heading for Tylo, the ship vibrates, gets unresponsive and vanishes from the screen.

I first thought it had something to do with the localization, but I've edited the "OldTrait" thing in the persistent file to the English names and changed the localization back to English, but the issue remains. It also crashed when I jumped to the ship headed to Laythe. Here are the savegame, the output.log and the crash report. The affected ships are called "Jool C Station" and "Duna Rescue Ship"

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e4a1yocxay28ikd/mks_issue.7z/file

EDIT: I'll clarify the missions, because it reads a bit like a mess.

Duna operation:

Station in Vall's orbit doesn't have enough hab time to wait for the landers to arrive from Kerbin, so I try to send it back to Kerbin. I mess up with the transfer windows and the station doesn't have enough fuel to make it to Kerbin, so I send it to Duna instead. It has a crew of three, at this point the engineer is already a tourist. Reaches Duna, rendezvous with a rescue ship with a pilot, a scientist and a medical bay. Scientist is waiting at the med bay, crew of three tourists board it and I turn the med bay on. Glitch happens. Rescue ship's name: "Duna Rescue Ship"

Jool operation:

Station in Tylo's orbit docks with a lander/rover, crew of three transfer to the rover and land on Tylo. Runs out of supplies while refueling. Takes off (crew already tourist), docks back with the Station, crew feeds. Minor glitch: they show up as "turistas" but perform their original jobs. Burns for Laythe. Exits Tylo's SOI: major glitch - ship unflyable. I modify the persistent file, it has no effect.

Edited by juanml82

Can this just be added to a realism overhaul installation without any changes, or are other support miss required? Looking from a starting a new game perspective, not adding into an existing game.

I'm sure it's probably mentioned in the 300 of pages, but I'm on my phone and can't search properly.

Thanks

Edit: should mention I'll be doing this in a 1.3 setup to avoid any compatibility issues.

Edited by strudo76

On 9/30/2018 at 2:46 PM, strudo76 said:

Can this just be added to a realism overhaul installation without any changes,

First I am going to say that I don't really know the answer to your question! I have not yet got around to playing with realism overhaul.

However, if I was to give it a try I would go to the Github releases page from the OP and then grab the last version of MKS for your KSP version. For KSP 1.3.1 that looks like MKS v0.53.2.0 or else for KSP 1.3.0 I would try  MKS v0.52.2.0.

On 9/30/2018 at 5:46 AM, strudo76 said:

Can this just be added to a realism overhaul installation without any changes, or are other support miss required? Looking from a starting a new game perspective, not adding into an existing game.

As far as I know, there are no mods in RO that conflict with MKS (unless you have Kerbalism) and it can be added just fine. It has support for TAC-LS as well.