[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

15 hours ago, notthebobo said:

FYI, to help learn about the new Atlas parts and W.O.L.F. logistics mod, a "Future Plans" page has been added to the wiki.  This links to the announcement in this forum by Roverdude and some subsequent posts by DoktorKrogg beginning in April.

@nottheboboAnd thanks to you too! Everything I wanted to know is in your wiki article :)

Would someone with some insight help me get something a bit straight when it comes to this mod and breaking ground? Do we know how Breaking Ground and the USI mods will end up interacting? Will Breaking Ground be ignored going forward? Will it be required for the mod? Or won't it matter? It might be more of a problem with something like KAS i guess, but it seems like there are many things i Breaking Ground that sort of bumps into a bunch of mods, such as placeables and kerbal inventories.

5 hours ago, niceundtidy said:

Would someone with some insight help me get something a bit straight when it comes to this mod and breaking ground? Do we know how Breaking Ground and the USI mods will end up interacting? Will Breaking Ground be ignored going forward? Will it be required for the mod? Or won't it matter? It might be more of a problem with something like KAS i guess, but it seems like there are many things i Breaking Ground that sort of bumps into a bunch of mods, such as placeables and kerbal inventories.

Breaking Ground doesn't seem to impact this mod at all.  Unless RoverDude decides to switch from KIS to Breaking Ground - but Breaking Ground doesn't have attachment, so I don't think it's suitable there.

I'm using 1.7.2, KAS 1.4, and MKS 1.1.0.0. (Along with Asteroid Recycling Technologies, Core, Exploration Pack, Freight Transport, Life Support, and Tools)

Setting up two flexotubes about 4m apart on the runway (both 'crew hatch' labels facing each other), I send my engineer out with his drill, right click on both flexotubes, and neither one has a 'link' option for me to click to drag the tube from one tube face to the other.

I'm able to grab the connector from an RTS-1 Resource Transfer Station to connect to a JS-1 Joint Socket, so I'm not seeing an error on KAS's side.

Any ideas?

On 3/13/2018 at 9:11 AM, IgnatiusKerman said:

Finally figured this out.  It was not MKS related.  I had KAS-1.0 (BETA) installed instead of "the real" KAS (0.6.3).  Installing "the real" KAS alongside didn't fix the problem.  I had to completely uninstall the BETA fork.  I also had to replace all the KAS.JS1 on the ships I had deployed with KAS.CPort1 in the save file.

I'm running into this very same issue .... can you let me know what version of ksp you're running and what version of KAS you got installed to fix this ?

Thanks Tonka.. Appreciate the help..

A dumb question if I may..

if I have two unattached components within local logistics range - lets say I have a component with a drill attached, and a second component within local range that uses what that drill digs up  (lets say we're drilling gypsum on one component and we're using it to make fertilizer on the second component)

Do we need to have a storage container on BOTH components?? one on the drill to store the gypsum initially, and one on the processor component that the local logistics sends to? I did some tests and it seems to indicate i need to do this, but wasnt sure if I was making a mistake?

Also.. if I connect those two components via flexitubes, will it get rid of that need to have two lots of local storage?

Edited by Dropbear67

13 hours ago, Dropbear67 said:

Thanks Tonka.. Appreciate the help..

A dumb question if I may..

if I have two unattached components within local logistics range - lets say I have a component with a drill attached, and a second component within local range that uses what that drill digs up  (lets say we're drilling gypsum on one component and we're using it to make fertilizer on the second component)

Do we need to have a storage container on BOTH components?? one on the drill to store the gypsum initially, and one on the processor component that the local logistics sends to? I did some tests and it seems to indicate i need to do this, but wasnt sure if I was making a mistake?

Also.. if I connect those two components via flexitubes, will it get rid of that need to have two lots of local storage?

yes you need storage for that ressource on both vessels. And yes if you connect those vessels with flexotube they will be docked and then be considered only one vessel. You would need only one storage container then.

56 minutes ago, birimbecas said:

Hello, I haven't played in a while and was thinking of starting a new save.

Is there any way to build diy kits in orbit or in the surface with mks? It has been added to Global Construction but can it be done with mks?

Thanks

I believe that is one of the functionalities reserved for the full GC mod, as opposed to deploying existing kits, which is in GC Core(which is a dependency of MKS).

In any case, GC and MKS are 'allied' (GC uses MKS produced resources and the two mod owners coordinate to some extent to keep them compatible), so you should expect them to work well together in the same game.

13 minutes ago, Terwin said:

I believe that is one of the functionalities reserved for the full GC mod, as opposed to deploying existing kits, which is in GC Core(which is a dependency of MKS).

In any case, GC and MKS are 'allied' (GC uses MKS produced resources and the two mod owners coordinate to some extent to keep them compatible), so you should expect them to work well together in the same game.

Thanks for the answer.

I know they are compatible, just wanted to know if there are or will eventually be mks parts for those functions mainly because mks parts look much nicer.

Hello All,

I've been having an issue with the Karibou rover in that if I leave it and come back to it, it gets stuck in a strange way.  Going forward, it goes very slow and tries to climb an invisible slope, and if I retract the gear it floats in the air.  Going backwards it again tries to back up a slope.  

the only solution to get it back workings seems to be to connect it to something, aka flex tube or js-1 port from KIS, and then uncouple it.  

13 hours ago, Ferratus said:

Hello All,

I've been having an issue with the Karibou rover in that if I leave it and come back to it, it gets stuck in a strange way.  Going forward, it goes very slow and tries to climb an invisible slope, and if I retract the gear it floats in the air.  Going backwards it again tries to back up a slope.  

the only solution to get it back workings seems to be to connect it to something, aka flex tube or js-1 port from KIS, and then uncouple it.  

If you attach a rover to a base with the ground anchor activated and then disconnect that rover it effectively stays anchored and stuff such as you describe can happen. This might be your problem. Always remember to turn off the base ground anchor before detaching a docked/KAS attached rover of any kind. After the rover has driven off the base ground anchor can be reactivated.

On 6/19/2019 at 7:48 PM, Ferratus said:

Hello All,

+1 to everything Kaa253 said above. 

If you're confident in your own self-discipline I would also strongly recommend Vessel Mover as a catch-all bug fixer/avoider. Once I've verified a rover has the power and structure to properly drive around, given the frequency of kraken attacks I tend to use this mod for anything other than the shortest journeys.

Then for properly long journeys between bases/biomes you want Bon Voyage (working fine for me in 1.7.0).

25 minutes ago, Rover 6428 said:

Since it works fine in all versions, why won't you edit the title to [1.3-1.6x]?

Also, does it work with the latest 1.7.1 & 1.7.2?

Probably because he is super busy and updating the thread is at the bottom of the list (as @RoverDude has mentioned before.)

Yes it should work in 1.7.x

Is there a trick to deploying the Ranger MiniHabitat?

I have two Kerbals, Jeb & Valentine, sandbox, full experience, on the runway.  It's in his inventory.  I right-click on the item and drag it out of the inventory.   It turns that translucent KAS green.  I rotate it around to see the fully-inflated habitat.  I click my mouse.

It stays for a few seconds and then reverts back to the packaged MiniHab.  after that I can't pick it up, place it back in inventory, or anything else.  I can disassemble it, that's about it.

I reproduced the issue in an install that nothing but Squad, both DLC, MKS, USI-LS, KIS, KAS, .

Log file:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QUDdKXcWd687yqcwJMCw8B3MUUJAYoaq/view?usp=sharing

Gamedata folder: https://imgur.com/a/7q5WdRU

I've been playing with MKS for years, never used this part before.  Thanks for your incredible work on the USI catalog, @RoverDude.  Makes this game epic.

Edit:  I'm on 1.7.2.  I know you haven't updated for that release yet, but I had a sneaking feeling I misunderstood this part's use.  I thought it was a stand-alone habitat that you could inflate and put a couple of kerbals in long enough to stay alive for rescue.

Edited by Meta Jonez
Clarification

5 hours ago, Meta Jonez said:

Is there a trick to deploying the Ranger MiniHabitat?

It needs to be attached to another part; I don't believe you can use it completely stand-alone.  Once you bolt it to another part, you can right-click it to deploy.

I can't recall if this one requires MaterialKits or not to deploy.  Most of the inflatable structures do.

10 hours ago, tsaven said:

It needs to be attached to another part; I don't believe you can use it completely stand-alone.  Once you bolt it to another part, you can right-click it to deploy.

I can't recall if this one requires MaterialKits or not to deploy.  Most of the inflatable structures do.

Yep, I see it now.  Derp  :rolleyes:.

5 minutes ago, Rover 6428 said:

earlier when I tried to install MKS, it did not work with After Kerbin (a planetpack). I recon it was just a bug, but just in case, is MKS compatible with planet packs?

As far as I am aware, the primary reason for incompatibilities is when another mod changes the stock resource handling.

MKS leverages the stock resource handling, so any changes to that will generally cause problems.

The most memorable of those would be Kerbalism, which tries to do off-line processing instead of catch-ups, and in the process replaces the stock resource code with something that does not have all of the things MKS needs to function.

Note: MKS Planetary warehousing (and soon W.O.L.F.) are supplements to the stock resource process, not replacements, so the worst case scenario is just other mods being ignorant of those resources.

7 hours ago, Jagzeplin said:

what does the "governor" do on the kerbitat living module?

Governor sliders will just reduce the activity of the module. So the kerbitat governor slider will reduce how many kerbal-months it provides (or the hab multiplier or recycle percentage, if you have that set up) while reducing its EC consumption e.g. if you don't have enough EC production to support it running at full capacity.