[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yep!  Past 50 years and you won the habitation lottery :D

Also in case you guys did not notice, everything is 1.7.x now.

So quick question since the release notes on github are sparse.  Was this just a recompile or were fixes applied for KIS etc?

4 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

So quick question since the release notes on github are sparse.  Was this just a recompile or were fixes applied for KIS etc?

The KIS patch is in, also a lot of the converter issues are sorted where some things still used the older USI module format.  Plus recompilation.

5 hours ago, Terwin said:

If I remember correctly, when kerbals are on kerbin or in a hab that provides 50+ years of hab-time for the current crew, they will not grow home-sick.

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Yep!  Past 50 years and you won the habitation lottery :D

Also in case you guys did not notice, everything is 1.7.x now.

Thanks folks!

Hi @RoverDude I'm a bit confused about the life support involved with this mod. Is the kolonization system essentially just the parts and systems to build bases? reason I ask is that there is no life support present (such as supplies, Mulch, electric charge usage on command pods etc) nor is there any indication of how to add these on. Do I need to add the USI life support separately to get the full experience or is it bundled in the Kolonization System somewhere? many thanks :)

What would a functional permanent colony, with many kerbals in it, look like? A temporary base is easy to imagine, but I can't seem to come up with an idea for how to make a base that looks more like a city using MKS parts. 

Additionally, what would be a good overall shape for a space station which is a permanent colony itself?

Edited by Some random person

48 minutes ago, jokamo said:

Hi @RoverDude I'm a bit confused about the life support involved with this mod. Is the kolonization system essentially just the parts and systems to build bases? reason I ask is that there is no life support present (such as supplies, Mulch, electric charge usage on command pods etc) nor is there any indication of how to add these on. Do I need to add the USI life support separately to get the full experience or is it bundled in the Kolonization System somewhere? many thanks :)

There is no life support directly in this mod - it's all in USI Life Support.  (Though there are a few parts in this mod add depth to USI-LS.)  So yes, MKS is just the parts and systems to build bases.  Though since most users run both MKS and USI-LS, there tends to be some overlap of discussion in the threads.

1 hour ago, Some random person said:

What would a functional permanent colony, with many kerbals in it, look like? A temporary base is easy to imagine, but I can't seem to come up with an idea for how to make a base that looks more like a city using MKS parts. 

Additionally, what would be a good overall shape for a space station which is a permanent colony itself?

I find that on a sufficiently level surface(minmus flats) you can have a long colony where you just add things on the end, but most other places, you want to have 2-4 main lines off your center point, usually with additional branches coming off of those main lines to keep things reasonably close together.  ( I will often put the big spinning habitats on towers, some times several in a row, with hitchhikers for spacing)

In space the big thing you want for it to 'look' like a space colony would be a number of the large, inflatable,  spinning habitats

3 hours ago, Some random person said:

For something that's on the surface of a planet, you're going to want to utilize the local logistics functions to break it up into multiple independent structures that are not physically connected.  They'll need to be close (<150m), but as long as you're using the correct parts they will share resources and habitation.  This helps avoids the kraken exploding things randomly, and helps your framerate stay above the single digits.

As for an orbital station, there's too many variables to easily answer that.  It depends on what you're using it for.  Make sure to keep plenty of docking ports easily accessible though, because a station can never be completely self-sufficient.  They'll always need some kind of resupply on a regular basis.

Hi All, 

Firstly, I am loving this addon, it has made KSP so much more fun. I have a quick question that I can't seem to fgiure out and I'm hoping you folks may have an idea.

I want to build a station that does not require crew transfers to move say from the hab unit to the core. I'm using a hab unit connected to a pressurized crew tube then to the wharf core. when I IVA into the kerb in the hab unit, I can see the hatch to the crew tube is open, but not to the wharf core. No matter how I connect it (construction ports, direct connection) that hatch just does not open. I believe this is the reason why if I have a kerb in the core, he can't EVA from the hab hatch without the crew transfer. Anyone know what I am doing wrong when connecting them? Basically, I'd like to IVA and see straight from the hab unit into the core through all the hatches.

Thanks all!

4 hours ago, Taflad said:

Basically, I'd like to IVA and see straight from the hab unit into the core through all the hatches.

IVAs don’t work like that; they don’t usually change based on any external conditions and don’t  have any real gameplay function. They’re for flavor only. In fact, the majority of USI modules don’t have any IVA at all, as they’re extremely time-consuming to make and don’t add any functionality to the game. 

6 hours ago, Taflad said:

Hi All, 

Firstly, I am loving this addon, it has made KSP so much more fun. I have a quick question that I can't seem to fgiure out and I'm hoping you folks may have an idea.

I want to build a station that does not require crew transfers to move say from the hab unit to the core. I'm using a hab unit connected to a pressurized crew tube then to the wharf core. when I IVA into the kerb in the hab unit, I can see the hatch to the crew tube is open, but not to the wharf core. No matter how I connect it (construction ports, direct connection) that hatch just does not open. I believe this is the reason why if I have a kerb in the core, he can't EVA from the hab hatch without the crew transfer. Anyone know what I am doing wrong when connecting them? Basically, I'd like to IVA and see straight from the hab unit into the core through all the hatches.

Thanks all!

You might want to check out Airlock Plus - it won't change the IVAs, but it will let you EVA from any part, as long as *some* part has an airlock:

I've been away a while, and am picking up MKS again (KSP 1.7.3, MKS version 1.2.0 - 2019.08.04).  My drills are overheating, even on a test ship in a new save with ridiculous amounts of cooling and no other heat sources.  No other mods installed, and two 5-star engineers on board.

If I use one bay on an Industrial Strip Miner, it levels off at 500 K and Thermal Efficiency is 100%.  If I turn on a second bay, it levels off at 618 K and 64 % efficiency.  All 5 bays on levels off at 703 K and 24% efficiency.  Doesn't seem to matter how much cooling I add - dozens of large stock Thermal Control System plus dozens of MKS Ranger Thermal Control Systems have no effect.

DIPXUcml.png  FMmxWOwl.png

If I use multiple Industrial Strip Miners, each using one bay, they all stay at 500 K.

BPcCpkCl.png

I've even tried ten drills each using one bay and that's perfectly fine; they all stay at 500 K.  But one drill using two bays, and it overheats.

Is this working as intended?  I can design around it if need be (just add MOAR DRILLS), but I don't remember it working this way.

This is a common question because it's a weird mechanic but it's working as intended.  The "overheat" is used to limit drill output.  Basically, each drill will only put out 100% stuff.  1 bay online = 100% stuff, heat looks normal.  3 bays online = 33% stuff each, with "overheat" used to artificially limit efficiency.  You only need sufficient cooling for one bay's worth of heat and can ignore the rest of the numbers.

I'm having a bit of an issue locating the config for TAC-LS. I found the link: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Mod-Support#compatible but it states that its for the alpha version. The link above it goes to a dead thread. Any input on this? I don't want to bother the creator since they don't directly support TAC-LS, but if any of you can give me input it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by SimonTheSkink
Grammar

46 minutes ago, SimonTheSkink said:

I'm having a bit of an issue locating the config for TAC-LS. I found the link: https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Mod-Support#compatible but it states that its for the alpha version. The link above it goes to a dead thread. Any input on this? I don't want to bother the creator since they don't directly support TAC-LS, but if any of you can give me input it would be greatly appreciated.

Right in the download under patches

1 hour ago, SimonTheSkink said:

Forgive my ignorance but could you be a bit more specific? I have tried a few links that look similar to what you stated but none of them seem to work.

It is already included in the mod download under gamedata\umbraspaceindustries\patches\

Flex-o-Tubes no longer 'dock' vessels into one - is this how they're supposed to work now? Are they basically just a mechanical 'tether' between different vessels now in their 'new' incarnation?

Interestingly, my 'old school' flexotubes visually disappeared, but the base I built with them still behave as one big base. The 'new' base has visual tubes, but they don't 'join' the base together.

After upgrading from version 1.1 to 1.2 of MKS, I can no longer use FlexOTube to connect new module(e.g. pioneer module) to existing base.

The connection is made - and rendered correctly. But module is not part of base - the module is still treated as independent vessel. In previous version - the module has become part of base vessel.

Was that change intentional or is there any other way how I can flex-connect module to my existing base?

4 hours ago, TheOrqwithVagrant said:

Flex-o-Tubes no longer 'dock' vessels into one - is this how they're supposed to work now? Are they basically just a mechanical 'tether' between different vessels now in their 'new' incarnation?

Interestingly, my 'old school' flexotubes visually disappeared, but the base I built with them still behave as one big base. The 'new' base has visual tubes, but they don't 'join' the base together.

1 hour ago, PetMat said:

After upgrading from version 1.1 to 1.2 of MKS, I can no longer use FlexOTube to connect new module(e.g. pioneer module) to existing base.

The connection is made - and rendered correctly. But module is not part of base - the module is still treated as independent vessel. In previous version - the module has become part of base vessel.

Was that change intentional or is there any other way how I can flex-connect module to my existing base?

Would need more information.  Between MKS 1.1 and 1.2 there were major game breaking changes made to the KAS mod.  Flexotubes are basically reskinned KAS pipes.  Presumably there were fixes in 1.2 for the KAS changes.  So for one it would be important that you upgraded those mods in conjunction with the MKS upgrade.  Also I have no idea how things work as I haven't tried it yet (on vacation).

35 minutes ago, DStaal said:

@TheOrqwithVagrant's description exactly matches them updating KAS at the same time: The new parts are now flexible links instead of hard links, and the old parts are no longer there, but the connection was left to not break existing saves.

Good to know thanks.  I'm looking forward to trying all the new stuff when I get back home.