[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

On 9/10/2019 at 12:07 PM, spliffst4r said:

Hello, I installed this awesome mod a few days ago and I just noticed some small bugs with the Akita rover parts.

1st: The command seat is nearly impossible to place on the core module or the platforms

2nd: The command seat doesn't have crew capacity :(

3rd: The akita wheels won't work. They are active, the motors are working, I made sure they were going all in the right direction, but the rover doesn't move an inch (brakes are off).

So basically I can only use the platforms and the core module, I have to use the stock wheels and the stock command seat to make it work.

I do have several other mods installed, but they should all be compatible. Let me know if you need my mod list.

Anybody knows a solution?

Edit: 

I was able to fix the crew capacity of the command seat:

You need to edit the .cfg file of the akita seat part.

Go in gamedata ---» UmbraSpaceIndustries--» Akita ---» Parts ---» Akita_Seat :

Then under vesseltype I just added this line : CrewCapacity = 1

I was able to make the wheels work too, you just have to rotate them in a specific way so that the axels are actually pointing downwards... just as in the other side. But you have to watch carefully the orientation as its hard to notice the difference.

Edited by spliffst4r

Ok short version is for now build a pair of crafts, preferably a truck but hey you do you! I did a zeplin, but back to the point,

on each, you want a cheep drill unless your wanting a permanent base,  that has A resource extractor you prefer, the processor set to make whatever from what that extractor pulls out, enough power and radiators, and  three containers, one for whatever your drilling on that drill (this should  start full if your just testing the setup so you can start processing off right away) one to receive what you convert it into (this container can also start full so it can start sending to planetary storag) and one for what your second rig will make (this container starts off empty so you can draw from planetary storag) . . On the second rig you want to produce whatever the empty can needs, and you on board storage to make whatever you rigged the first empty can, You also probably want pilot, engineer, and quartermaster because pilots need to learn there not indispensable. Also enough power, supies and or food and or snacks, and habitation.

move both away from each other. I did Islands and mountains for my testing and  but you know what you need. I wanted a fuel depot on Island because overshoots while oof are a thing. But, For just  testing you can set one up on the runway and the other on the launchpad via SPH and VAB, run things until you figure it out, then  recover them.

Edited by [email protected]

couple questions:

*  Wiki says a kerbal can only affect single bay, but couple lines after it says it only accounts for the highest level kerbal in the craft. After some testing it seems the former doesn't apply and the latter is true. However I expected the modules needing to be crewed? but my quick test craft of 7 tundra agriculture support modules was quite happily working at 125% load on all bays with a single kerbal on board. This seemed odd, so is this intended behavior?

* assuming previous is intended that would mean a colony having more than 3 kerbals is a pointless?

Ah, thanks.

On the subject of colonisation, has anyone else had issues with the kolonisation vessel window not picking up every resource a colony has?  It’s really finicky whether it picks up the Fertiliser I have, and often depends on which container the fertiliser’s stored in.  It’s not a ‘what mod does this come from’ deal either, I’ve had the window pick up Fertiliser when it’s stored in one container, but not when it’s in another identical container of the same vessel.  

(Whether a colony starts with the resource container attached or not doesn’t seem to matter either)

5 hours ago, craidie said:

couple questions:

*  Wiki says a kerbal can only affect single bay, but couple lines after it says it only accounts for the highest level kerbal in the craft. After some testing it seems the former doesn't apply and the latter is true. However I expected the modules needing to be crewed? but my quick test craft of 7 tundra agriculture support modules was quite happily working at 125% load on all bays with a single kerbal on board. This seemed odd, so is this intended behavior?

* assuming previous is intended that would mean a colony having more than 3 kerbals is a pointless?

For a connected base, I try to have at least one of each of the big three jobs, then add as many colonists as I can support.

MKS has colonization bonuses based on how many kerbals of each type you have(Kolonists count as all three, but only for this bonus).

If I remember correctly, the Engineer related bonus increases resource harvesting from drills(and possibly mks converters), the pilot related bonus multiplies hab-time(and I think at 500% the 'unlimited habitability' threshold drops from 50 years to 5, like with a pilot), I think the scientist related bonus affects science(or possibly farm productivity), but I forget how exactly.

So sure, a 3 kerbal base will be perfectly functional(unless you have disconnected bits to minimize on-load destruction), but it will not do a lot as far as colonizing the planetary body it is on.

3 hours ago, Pectus Solentis said:

Is the module that does same roles of Mobile Processing Lab deprecated?

I'd seen Science Lab module and that module did the same roles of Mobile Processing Lab but I can't find that module in MKS Wiki.
(https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki)

As far as I am aware, the science lab will provide 50% life-support recycling(aka reduces used supplies by 50%) for up to 4 kerbals.

Are you referring to the Material Processing Units?  Those allow you to refine raw materials into refined materials(minerals -> chemicals for example).  They perform at a faster rate than an unattended refinery, but do not benefit from having an engineer on-board(good for automated resource collection bases).

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Manufacturing)

On 9/14/2019 at 10:10 PM, Terwin said:

As far as I am aware, the science lab will provide 50% life-support recycling(aka reduces used supplies by 50%) for up to 4 kerbals.

Are you referring to the Material Processing Units?  Those allow you to refine raw materials into refined materials(minerals -> chemicals for example).  They perform at a faster rate than an unattended refinery, but do not benefit from having an engineer on-board(good for automated resource collection bases).

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Manufacturing)

No. I'm asking if science reprocessing MKS Module exist.

Edited by Pectus Solentis

3 hours ago, liamcullins said:

Is there any chance you could create a mod that only implements the ground tethering function for bases? That'd be super helpful for those who don't want the added complexity and difficulty.

The mod is open source.  You are allowed to fork it and use just that function if you want.

11 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

The mod is open source.  You are allowed to fork it and use just that function if you want.

I wouldn’t know how to do that. I know next to nothing about coding, though perhaps I could look up how to do so, if it’s nothing too difficult. Any suggestions?

6 minutes ago, liamcullins said:

I wouldn’t know how to do that. I know next to nothing about coding, though perhaps I could look up how to do so, if it’s nothing too difficult. Any suggestions?

Well the function is going to be part of the .DLL file.  Now which file I have no idea, but it wouldn't hurt to have extra DLL's in your gamedata folder so that isn't a big deal.  (Just keep them in the same folders, the path matters).

From there the tethering function is probably defined in the part config files (the ones that are .cfg).  If you find that then in theory you can paste that stuff into any parts config file and it would have the tethering feature.

To get fancy you can add that functionality to all parts via modulemanager.  MKS may have a MM config file for this.

I'd highly look at modulemanager, there is a thread for it.  It is pretty basic stuff, just text files.  But once you figure it out you can easily make tweaks specific to your game and it is super handy to know.

5 hours ago, liamcullins said:

Is there any chance you could create a mod that only implements the ground tethering function for bases? That'd be super helpful for those who don't want the added complexity and difficulty.

Just use some of the MKS parts as structural/foundation pieces for your base.

Unless you are using life support or the resource processes, you can just use the MKS parts as aesthetic pieces that just happen to help with stability(through tethering)

Written as "Functions (Logistic)" document at MKS Wiki
https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Logistics)
Resource Distribution is available when there is a kerballed rover between 2 storages if the storages are enoughly close.

Then, my question is...
When 1 of the storage is a kerballed rover then is Resource Distribution available?

https://gall.dcinside.com/mgallery/board/view/?id=ksp&no=2917&page=1
I used to make a mobile mining vessel using FTT as the above DCInside article shows.

Edited by Pectus Solentis
grammar correction

On 9/11/2019 at 10:30 PM, horngeek said:

@RoverDude if you're trying to add Planetary Logistic capability to a part, how do you tell if it... well, works?  Planetary logistics capability doesn't appear to show up in the list of modules in the right click 'show parts detail' menu.  

The PartModule that allows a part to participate in Planetary Logistics is USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse and it shows up in the part info window in the VAB/SPH as 'USI Warehouse'. 

On 9/14/2019 at 3:51 PM, liamcullins said:

Adding to what @goldenpsp said...

The ground tethering function is provided by a PartModule in USITools called 'USI_InertialDampener'. There isn't actually a need to fork USITools because it's already provided as a standalone mod here. As pointed out already, it's fairly trivial to write ModuleManager patches to add a PartModule to a part from the stock game or even to parts from another mod. So say you wanted to add the ground tethering function to the stock Modular Girder Segment, just create a new .cfg file (they're plain old text files) anywhere in the GameData folder and put something like this in it:

@PART[trussPiece1x]:NEEDS[USITools]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = USI_InertialDampener
    }
}

In a nutshell what that's telling MM is: if the mod called 'USITools' is installed, modify the part named 'trussPiece1x' to add the PartModule called 'USI_InertialDampener'.

On 9/15/2019 at 12:46 AM, Gilph said:

I believe the Ranger CommLab is the only MKS part that's a lab. It's very small...only 150 data storage

Quite a bit disappointing. I think that reprocessing Science data in my base is a primary function of constructing space base...

Did RoverDude think that Stock Mobile Processing Lab is enough for that role? But I want Science Lab of Duna series or 3.75m Tundra size.

1 hour ago, Pectus Solentis said:

Quite a bit disappointing. I think that reprocessing Science data in my base is a primary function of constructing space base...

Did RoverDude think that Stock Mobile Processing Lab is enough for that role? But I want Science Lab of Duna series or 3.75m Tundra size.

To be fair, the 2.5m science lab is already more than capable of finishing off the tech tree in short order from just the Kerbin system, so what would be the point of a lab with 3x the efficiency if 3 labs is already over-kill for the tech-tree?

Also, with those (relativly) new science storage modules, it is pretty easy to collect science for several labs to process in parallel if you want a huge collected science total after finishing the tech tree...

48 minutes ago, Terwin said:

To be fair, the 2.5m science lab is already more than capable of finishing off the tech tree in short order from just the Kerbin system, so what would be the point of a lab with 3x the efficiency if 3 labs is already over-kill for the tech-tree?

Also, with those (relativly) new science storage modules, it is pretty easy to collect science for several labs to process in parallel if you want a huge collected science total after finishing the tech tree...

Well, how about the cosmetic purpose? I think stock MPL doesn't go along well with MKS modules. And how about the cmbinization with CTT? CTT needs much more science points than vanilla techs.