[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

5 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

No worries, always happy to help with interoperability between mods.

Pedantic semantics but it only affects vanilla assets and not modded assets. At least it's not affecting parts that are created by mods... catch all solutions are a fallacy but they can be good with a little bit of elbow grease work. :D

If you come across any more issues between the mods please let me (us... ReStock team) know and we can hash out PRs if necessary.

pedantic semantics aside - I also have the same issue when mods override stock mechanics (like ones that do a blanket override of stock partmodules vs make their own).  The point of stock is that it should be a stable baseline that is dependable for mods to work, and in my opinion, a mod should extend vs replace, and where replacing, do so in a non-destructive way.

Edited by RoverDude

I think Restock did decently there - the point of the mod is to replace assets, so 'extend' is out.  It only conflicts if you're using stock assets in other parts, and they have an easy-to-use solution for that built in at initial release.  Given the goal of the mod (to replace stock assets with their own looks), I don't see how they could have done much better.  They obviously worked at compatibility with other mods, within the given goal of their mod.

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I think Restock did decently there - the point of the mod is to replace assets, so 'extend' is out.  It only conflicts if you're using stock assets in other parts, and they have an easy-to-use solution for that built in at initial release.  Given the goal of the mod (to replace stock assets with their own looks), I don't see how they could have done much better.  They obviously worked at compatibility with other mods, within the given goal of their mod.

There are ways of achieving this without breaking stuff by default ;)  so my thoughts (and disagreement with destructive mods) on the issue still stand.  But not my mod, nor one I use, so up to them to sort that out (or not).

34 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

pedantic semantics aside - I also have the same issue when mods override stock mechanics (like ones that do a blanket override of stock partmodules vs make their own).  The point of stock is that it should be a stable baseline that is dependable for mods to work, and in my opinion, a mod should extend vs replace, and where replacing, do so in a non-destructive way.

That's a fair assessment, much like how Kerbalism used to be with stock EC mechanics etc. Anyway, glad it's sorted for the future.

So ive run into some trouble on my recent play through trying to finish my Mun colony, for some reason MKS/Karbonite resources are not showing up in the scansat map. They show up fine in the kerbalnet but not on the scansat resource list. This had always worked in the past so im wondering if something has gone awry with just my save? Or if im missing some sort of file for the scansat mks resources. Any help would be much appreciated, player log included here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1owTwTcmLGknb86fIg_3nC8kYogruOslM/view?usp=sharing

12 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I'm in sandbox, so I can see it in the VAB fine, but there should really be a search bar. If you're in sandbox, can you see it in the VAB

You sir are a genius.

It was in the sandbox mode and then when I went to search in the tech tree I found it where I wasn't expecting there to be any parts.

My bad, sorry for being a dunce. And thank you for responding so quickly.

23 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Is 1.9 even going to come out before KSP 2?

I can't tell. 

No one who knows when KSP2 is allowed to say, but KSP 1 versions are being released on a 3 month(?) schedule, so 1.9 should be released about the same time after 1.8 that 1.8 was released after 1.7.

I'm glad to hear that W.O.L.F is slated for release for 1.9, as I had not seen test builds for 1.8(and I can't find the shipping computer part in my 1.7 test build)

2 hours ago, Kerlix said:

Is this compatible with 1.9?

I installed it in 1.9 without any problems, but I have not yet built any colonies as it is a new game.

It is not expected for there to be any compatibility issues between 1.8 and 1.9, so unless/until a problem gets reported I'll assume that the 1.8 version of MKS is good on 1.9

I'm having a bit of odd behavior with the MKS drills, though as I'm typing this, I'm realizing this might be a Restock issue and not an MKS issue. Regardless, I'll float it for opinions while I continue to troubleshoot:

LJj9ptt.png

My suspicion is the animation module isn't getting a texture it is supposed to have. I'm working under the assumption that it's because Restock didn't load a texture or something (pulling up my log file now), but in the meantime is anyone else experiencing this?

edit: Yep, it was a problem with my whitelist not being broad enough.

Edited by Warmachine

15 hours ago, Warmachine said:

I'm having a bit of odd behavior with the MKS drills, though as I'm typing this, I'm realizing this might be a Restock issue and not an MKS issue. Regardless, I'll float it for opinions while I continue to troubleshoot:

LJj9ptt.png

My suspicion is the animation module isn't getting a texture it is supposed to have. I'm working under the assumption that it's because Restock didn't load a texture or something (pulling up my log file now), but in the meantime is anyone else experiencing this?

edit: Yep, it was a problem with my whitelist not being broad enough.

Could I suggest adding whitelisting for this mod (full usi catalogue) in the next update @Nertea?

Edited by rettter3

Quick question, I can't for the life of me get a pair of Station Parts Redux Volleyball habitation units to inflate. I have MKS installed, and I have a delivery craft parked about 10m away with 4500 units of material kits on board in a Kontainer.  The base has power.

I've tried both a pilot and engineer on EVA - neither get an inflate option. The base itself does have an inflate option when i mouse over the hab units, but it says I need 900 material kits to inflate each hab.

Is there something that I am missing? 

5 hours ago, fraser82 said:

Quick question, I can't for the life of me get a pair of Station Parts Redux Volleyball habitation units to inflate. I have MKS installed, and I have a delivery craft parked about 10m away with 4500 units of material kits on board in a Kontainer.  The base has power.

I've tried both a pilot and engineer on EVA - neither get an inflate option. The base itself does have an inflate option when i mouse over the hab units, but it says I need 900 material kits to inflate each hab.

Is there something that I am missing? 

thers'e a materialKits cost to inflate if you don't have it onboard you won't be able to inflate

1 hour ago, fraser82 said:

Will it not pull from another nearby container/ship with planetary warehouse on? I was under the impression that it would.

That is MKS functionality, and I believe it works for MKS parts.

I strongly doubt that Station Parts Redux have added the custom code needed to allow inflation to work via MKS logistics.

For non MKS parts I am fairly certain you will need to actually attach your material kits storage to the base before it can be recognized.  I find the Klaw works well for handling unexpected docking needs.

(Station Parts Redux may be using an entirely different and possibly incompatible approach to inflating parts, so a custom patch may or may not allow those parts to inflate with MKS logistics)

15 minutes ago, Terwin said:

That is MKS functionality, and I believe it works for MKS parts.

I strongly doubt that Station Parts Redux have added the custom code needed to allow inflation to work via MKS logistics.

For non MKS parts I am fairly certain you will need to actually attach your material kits storage to the base before it can be recognized.  I find the Klaw works well for handling unexpected docking needs.

(Station Parts Redux may be using an entirely different and possibly incompatible approach to inflating parts, so a custom patch may or may not allow those parts to inflate with MKS logistics)

Ah this makes loads of sense. Thanks a ton for pointing it out, i was banging my head on the wall trying to figure out what I was doing wrong! Ill be more careful where i pull parts from next time...

"The hab/home timers can also be paused indefinitely if habtime per kerbal exceeds 50 years or 1 year if the kerbal is a pilot/scout, or is on a planet with a kolonisation rating of over 500%. In addition, the total amount of habitation a kerbal has is multiplied by the Kolonisation rating" is this true or is this a future plan? Ideally i will be able to make permanent habitats for people to live on other planets but not to sure about this as this is only mentioned once.