[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

It's true, but not as easy to sustain as you might think. The timers are suspended, but resource consumption continues (supplies, machinery, etc.) so they can resume when key hab parts start wearing down.

I hope the upcoming W.O.L.F. parts will provide a planetary body endgame option.

Hello there people of MKS,

I am here due to a rather significant problem I am experiencing with trying to refine resources at the moment. I have a small base on Minmus with a Tundra industrial refinery, some metal ore drills, a nuclear generator and several engineers. However, despite having Machinery, metal storage and Metal ore, the refining process is listed only as operational, and will not produce any metal. Any ideas as to why this is?

Thank you in advance

1 hour ago, crazyewok said:

Then how do I build ships in space?

Several ways:  First off, the new system that works with MKS is Gobal Construction - in it you can build from a kit, on ground or in space.

Secondly, if you want to use EL, you can use the built-in launchpads, or some other third-party launchpads.

I was curious if anyone has decided to tweak the economics of MKS and what values of cost/profit you use. I currently have 8 'roids in orbit with probably another 12+ coming in soon. Coupled with USI: ART.... needless to say the 116000 ton asteroid I came across containing Rare and Exotic materials would fund my creations for an immense amount of time. I decided to tweak the size and density... pretty much keeping size close to stock but modifying density to be more accurate.  Either case... the reason I posted here is because I'm mining for profit and it seems maybe with ART it's kind of the "easy button."  Wondering if others have modded the value and how it worked out.

English is not my main language  and I hope you can provide a localization file. This will make it easier for many people to understand some of the complex content in MKS. You don't need to translate it yourself, all you need to do is create a localized file. It's just like many mods actually do this. I would like to help with the translation work if you wish.

I noticed some posts regarding ReStock.... I had similar issues and will post my fixes. I like the ReStock models and textures and wanted to use them. Plus I have a few part mods installed and actively removed a bunch I would never use just to clean up my UI.

For the 5-meter SAS module you are looking for the file: GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/FTT/Parts/FTT_SAS_500.cfg. The important attribute is `model`:

Spoiler

MODEL
{
    model = ReStock/Assets/Control/restock-reactionwheel-25-1   // <---HERE
    position = 0,0,0
    scale = 2,2,2
}
MODEL
{
    model = ReStock/Assets/Coupling/restock-docking-25-1   // <---HERE
    position = 0,-.6,0
    scale = 2,3,2
    rotation = 180,0,0
}
MODEL
{
    model = ReStock/Assets/Coupling/restock-docking-25-1   // <---HERE
    position = 0,.6,0
    scale = 2,3,2
}

Or remove the following lines from GameData/Restock/Restock.restockblacklist if you prefer the original stock look:

Squad/Parts/Command/advancedSasModuleLarge/
Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortSr/

I was deciding what to do about the drills.  I didn't paint new textures and I went with ReStock look and feel. However I you prefer the multiple textures or stock look ... (Or not deal with the multi-step process below :) ) Remove this line from the blacklist file:

Squad/Parts/Resources/RadialDrill/TriBitDrill

I modified a few files... you'll see GameData//UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/MKS_Drill_01.cfg (+_01A variant). I changed the first `MODULE` and added another just below it:

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleAnimationGroup
        deployAnimationName = Deploy
        activeAnimationName = Drill
        moduleType = Drill
        deployEffectName = Deploy
        activeEffectName = Active
        retractEffectName = Retract
        stopActiveAnimIfDisabled = true
    }
    EFFECTS
    {
        Drill
        {
            MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
            {
                name = dust
                modelName = ReStock/FX/restock-fx-drill-dust
                transformName = fxTransformDust
                emission = 1.0 1.1
                speed = 1.0 1.0
            }
            MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
            {
                name = rocks
                modelName = ReStock/FX/restock-fx-drill-rocks
                transformName = fxTransformRocks
                emission = 1.0 1.0
                speed = 1.0 1.0
            }
        }
        Deploy
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = ReStock/Sounds/drill-start
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.7 0.7

}
        }
        Active
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = ReStock/Sounds/drill-loop
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.7 0.7
            }
        }
        Retract
        {
            AUDIO
            {
                channel = Ship
                clip = ReStock/Sounds/drill-end
                volume = 0.0 0.0
                volume = 0.7 0.7
            }
        }
    }

The _02, _02A, _03, and _03A.cfg files need the following changes:

Spoiler

MODEL
    {
       model = ReStock/Assets/Resource/restock-drill-radial-2 // <--- HERE
       scale = 1,1,1
    }

// Modify first MODULE and add EFFECTS module as was done in the _01 files above
    // I did set the second volume to 1.0 1.0 in the bigger drills

MODULE    <---- Remove entire module
    {
        name = ModulePartVariants
        // ....
    }

The ReStock particles for the drill don't work in 1.9 until they update. But in 1.8... all the changes are perfecto. Aside from the changes to the FTT 5m SAS file... patching is far easier but I'm not familiar with ModuleManger. I wish I had learned it before I modded the files but... oh well.

4 hours ago, knifelight said:

English is not my main language  and I hope you can provide a localization file. This will make it easier for many people to understand some of the complex content in MKS. You don't need to translate it yourself, all you need to do is create a localized file. It's just like many mods actually do this. I would like to help with the translation work if you wish.

RoverDude accepts pull requests, so if you provide the localization file for your preferred language, you can probably get it added.

Hello Everyone,

I am not used to post on forum as usually one can find solutions in the past posts.

But, regarding the heat management, I was wondering if someone could provide the maths it relies on.
I couldn't find it.

My issue seems to be common:

I have 1 Duna PDU and 4 MEU-100 drills, (400 kW of core heat in total) with 8 small deployable radiators (same, 400 kW)
The PDU alone with 4 small deployable radiators works fine.
The 4 drills with 4 small deployable radiators works fine.
The PDU + 4 drills + 8 of those radiators, and the drills are getting hot.
Even with the PDU +  only 1 drill with the 8 small radiators, I get the same result.
I need to add a bunch of large deployables radiators to get everything to the optimal temperature.

I have seen there was a bug back in 2018, but I guess it has been solved.
I still did not find any clear explanation on the role of the max cooling (when it is higher than the required cooling), the 10% transfer rate, the 4x part temperature cooling...
If someone can help or direct me to a post or link, it would be really nice..

And by the way, all RD's mods are awsome!!!

Thanks

Edited by sloots

4 hours ago, sloots said:

But, regarding the heat management, I was wondering if someone could provide the maths it relies on.

I couldn't find it.

My issue seems to be common:

I have 1 Duna PDU and 4 MEU-100 drills, (400 kW of core heat in total) with 8 small deployable radiators (same, 400 kW)
The PDU alone with 4 small deployable radiators works fine.
The 4 drills with 4 small deployable radiators works fine.
The PDU + 4 drills + 8 of those radiators, and the drills are getting hot.
Even with the PDU +  only 1 drill with the 8 small radiators, I get the same result.
I need to add a bunch of large deployables radiators to get everything to the optimal temperature.

So long as you have some distance beween your drills and PDU(ie PDU is not parent or attached to parent of drills) you can generally get past this sort of wonkyness by using fixed radiators attached to the parent of the drills.

I think the issue was reduced but could not be eliminated due a combination of how radiators work in KSP and MKS colonization bonuses.

If you are landed, you can also use the MKS heat-sink part to provide a lot of cooling without bulky radiators.

1 hour ago, Terwin said:

So long as you have some distance beween your drills and PDU(ie PDU is not parent or attached to parent of drills) you can generally get past this sort of wonkyness by using fixed radiators attached to the parent of the drills.

I think the issue was reduced but could not be eliminated due a combination of how radiators work in KSP and MKS colonization bonuses.

If you are landed, you can also use the MKS heat-sink part to provide a lot of cooling without bulky radiators.

Thanks. I already found the walkaround, but i am quite frustrated not to understand the way the heat transfer works.
Do you know if a proper explanation exist somewhere?
Didn't anyone get into the code? :-)

As far as I am concerned, i'm good at maths, but not worse a penny in coding... 

Thanks anyway.

38 minutes ago, sloots said:

Thanks. I already found the walkaround, but i am quite frustrated not to understand the way the heat transfer works.
Do you know if a proper explanation exist somewhere?
Didn't anyone get into the code? :-)

As far as I am concerned, i'm good at maths, but not worse a penny in coding... 

Thanks anyway.

If I remember correctly, the problem comes from the maximum possible heat transfer from a part.

Radiators do not look at what is needed, but they look at what is the maximum that a part can use.  That amount is deducted from what is available, then it checks the next part.  Once all the radiator capacity is allocated, everything else is treated as not having any radiators.

So even if your reactor is only running at 5% and producing minimal heat, radiators are allocated to it as if it were at maximum heat and needs to use all of its maximum heat transfer, leaving nothing left for your drills.

As colonization bonuses can increase the production(including heat production) by > 500%, a lot of MKS parts(including reactors and drills) have a maximum heat transfer that will allow them to operate at that rate without exploding.  Unfortunately, that means that if you are using whole-ship radiators(the ones that extend in stock), you will need to have several times as much radiator as you actually need when you have a low colonization multiplier so that they can still work with a high one.

I think RoverDude had the max heat transfer really high before, but after discovering this quirk of the game, reduced it to a more moderate level(this is the 'fix' that was made), but that level is still several times the base need.

Does that make things clear?

Edited by Terwin

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any way to display the predicted load/efficiency in the VAB? I'm a bit confused about which parts will do what under what circumstances. Also, it seems that the USI-LS panel contradicts the Kolonization panel. Does the USI-LS panel not take converters into account, while the koloniation one does? Also, does a medic do anything without a med bay?

Edited by dlrk

I've hit an odd snag with this mod. I'm playing on KSP 1.7.3 (and version 1.2.0 of MKS, IIRC). It looks like the resource previously called "SpecializedParts" has been renamed just "Sp." At first, I didn't think much of it as a problem, but it looks like EL is still looking for SpecializedParts instead of Sp when it comes to building crafts. Is there a way to fix this without causing a bunch of problems? I assumed the best way was to change the EL config to require Sp instead, but based on the amount of people discussing EL in this thread I assume this must be a pretty common issue, so the fix might be easier to find if I post here.

EDIT: Huh, for some reason when I reloaded it worked. Never mind then, must have been a glitch on my end.

Edited by terrendos

On 3/10/2020 at 12:28 PM, dlrk said:

The KSPedia for this mod isn't loading, the log points to the wrong version target. Is there a workaround, or could the KSPedia be compiled for 1.8.1?

I'd need to dig around, given that the KSPedia was a PR and not one I made.

On 3/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, dlrk said:

Is there a spreadsheet or calculator anyones made for planning MKS + USI-LS supply time (the in-game ones don't take converters, etc into account)?

USI-LS's panel on it's own should be pretty solid given MKS parts use USI-LS modules.  These won't count stuff like supplies, etc. - I usually just assume fertilizer is worth 10x it's value in supplies to get a decent ballpark.