[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

18 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

They give you rep, funds, or science :)  So only relevant in career.

I pretty much always do career. Is there info somewhere on how that actually works, or do I just need to drop a pioneer module at my colony and find out?

Also: Thanks for the awesome mod, which is almost a new game in itself. :)

Glad you dig it :)  Not sure if anyone ever put this in the wiki or KSPedia - but short version - the longer you have Kerbals around on a colony the more rewards you collect.  Pilots for rep, engineers for funds, and scientists for science.

2 hours ago, JajajTec said:

I have a problem: The karibou rover wheels seem to not have any suspension that actually suspend (when you know what i mean) in result the rover does very wired things and jumps around. What should i do?

Can you show me a pic of your rover?

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Can you show me a pic of your rover?

Not who mentioned the issue, but I'v noticed that Karibou rovers are incredibly easy to roll. e.g, this guy will roll at relatively low speeds (6-8 m/s) at 1g. It gets even more unstable if throw some cargo on the multihub. Replacing the Karibou wheels with stock TR-2Ls and it's a lot more stable. 

Edit: The TR-2Ls do help lower the center of mass a bit, but they also have a narrower footprint than the Karibou wheels. irl you'd expect the wider base to be a bit more stable. 

https://imgur.com/a/2cqQMuN

Edited by somnambulist

On 4/9/2020 at 2:59 AM, OmniscientQ said:

How is the player supposed to know that the Agriculture Support Module uses Crusher efficiency parts without looking it up on the Github wiki? That's exactly my point. I'm reasonably sure it used to be displayed on the part in the VAB.

In other news, I tested a fresh download of MKS with a fresh install of KSP and no other mods. The various parts still do not display a module that declares which type of efficiency they "consume" nor how much. They do still work, though. An inflatable hab part successfully enhanced the output of an agroponics module on the launchpad.

Yeah, I'm almost certain this module was listed in the in-game part description in earlier versions. As it is now, KSP is more work for me than fun, because planning bases and their extensions is mostly trial and error or spending too much time on the wiki. I'm playing KSP 1.9.1 with MKS 1.3.0.0.

It would be great if it could be fixed in the next version :)

24 minutes ago, cordilon said:

Yeah, I'm almost certain this module was listed in the in-game part description in earlier versions. As it is now, KSP is more work for me than fun, because planning bases and their extensions is mostly trial and error or spending too much time on the wiki. I'm playing KSP 1.9.1 with MKS 1.3.0.0.

It would be great if it could be fixed in the next version :)

@RoverDudetakes pull requests.  The wiki is already a community endeavor.  Helping get the info into the modules as a PR is something to help him out. 

Just now, sushi64 said:

are you working on a 1.9.1 version because this looks amazing.

Umm....  I am literally playing the same one you can download in 1.9.1 - this mod currently works in 1.9.1 - so no need to wait.

18 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

@RoverDudetakes pull requests.  The wiki is already a community endeavor.  Helping get the info into the modules as a PR is something to help him out. 

Cool. I have no idea what a pull request is... just wanted to say that I encountered the same problem.

1 hour ago, cordilon said:

Cool. I have no idea what a pull request is... just wanted to say that I encountered the same problem.

It's when you look at the project on github, make some changes (say add the proper descriptions to the parts) and then submit it for @RoverDude to pull into the project.

As an example (not to pat my own back) a long time ago when KIS/KAS changed drastically (back when it changed from being one mod to two) I did this to adjust KIS storage to support the updated configurations.  I didnt know the programming, but I could handle modifying config files.  So I made adjustments, tested them, adjusted for balance and then submitted to get pulled into the project.  

What it achieved was faster support for the new KIS.  Now I could say it was just to be nice.  The reality is I really wanted this feature as quickly as possible.  I could have pestered Roverdude is this thread, or I could have learned how to do a pull request and helped be part of the solution.

17 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

It's when you look at the project on github, make some changes (say add the proper descriptions to the parts) and then submit it for @RoverDude to pull into the project.

As an example (not to pat my own back) a long time ago when KIS/KAS changed drastically (back when it changed from being one mod to two) I did this to adjust KIS storage to support the updated configurations.  I didnt know the programming, but I could handle modifying config files.  So I made adjustments, tested them, adjusted for balance and then submitted to get pulled into the project.  

What it achieved was faster support for the new KIS.  Now I could say it was just to be nice.  The reality is I really wanted this feature as quickly as possible.  I could have pestered Roverdude is this thread, or I could have learned how to do a pull request and helped be part of the solution.

Very honorable attitude. I'm trying to do the same if it's within my capabilities. Funny enough, I actually posted an issue "report" for KIS many years ago, because it was obliterating vessels when used close to the SOI edge ; )
Anyway, my programming skills are close to nonexistent. I can see that the efficiency tag is present in the part configs (obviously), but sadly just wouldn't know how to make that appear in the game.
Just to be clear: I absolutely didn't want to put pressure on RoverDude or anyone else to get this fixed asap.

17 minutes ago, Jinkguns said:

Hello RoverDude, thank you for some of the best KSP mods out there! Could you increment the USI threads to show 1.9.X support? 

That task would probably be done by the time 1.10 comes out :)

2 hours ago, DarthAwesome said:

Whenever I install this and USI Life Support, it only shows some drills and construction ports. Does anyone know how to solve this? I am using 1.7.3.

That would require more information.  How are you installing your mods?  Take a screenshot of your gamedata folder.  Those are 2 good starting points.

4 hours ago, santiagokof said:

im one of those dummys xD

Sorry, that's a lazy copout.  The wiki is community maintained.  So what does that mean?  A bunch of "dummys" took some time, some trial and error, and testing to verify how things worked.  And then they created the wiki.  That work has been done.  There is nothing stopping you from using what information is already there, and playing around to verify that data.  From there you could even come up with starter tutorials once you have learned all the parts and how they work.

Or you could just sit around and wait for someone else to do it for you I guess.  However if you don't like trial and error, and testing and building, why are you playing KSP?

The "scout landing module" has the ground workshop module, but has no crew capacity. I'm pretty sure this is unintended.

I'm not sure if the github bug tracker gets any love or not, but I can report it there if appropriate.

1 hour ago, Tokamak said:

The "scout landing module" has the ground workshop module, but has no crew capacity. I'm pretty sure this is unintended.

I'm not sure if the github bug tracker gets any love or not, but I can report it there if appropriate.

Probably won't get lost as easily there than here, where that is probably guaranteed.