[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

19 hours ago, DoktorKrogg said:

Here's a good primer on logistics:

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Logistics)

Also, once WOLF is finally released, I think I'm going to try to either start doing some Twitch streams and/or put together a YouTube series that demonstrates everything USI from start to finish in a fresh career-mode save, including WOLF. So that might be a good way to see logistics in action without really having to experiment with it yourself.

Hmm... probably not, at least not in its current form. I'll have to think about that some more. If nothing else, the code for ModuleLogisticsConsumer might be a good starting point for you to implement a similar feature in GC. Since @RoverDude has decided to make GC a supported mod within the USI sphere, it's also possible that this could work the other way where USI logistics can "push" resources into GC if you provided some sort of hook for us to be able to do that.

In the short term, easiest would likely be a MM patch that adds appropriate modules and making the GC aware and participate.  At which point, as long as any GC resource containing bits have the appropriate modules, the magic should just happen.  I'm in a playthrough at the moment, and will likely bump into this :)

On 6/26/2020 at 7:18 PM, RoverDude said:

(That being said, folks should really take advantage of the fact that MKS works really well with lots of close, disconnected components).

Regarding disconnected components... I get scavenging/logistics and power distribution. I didn't realize that habitation was shared between nearby vessels also, and if it was in the wiki, I didn't see it. That makes life a lot easier! I just now thought to test recycling, and looking at the supplies consumption rate when I toggle a recycler that is disconnected from my hab, the recycling seems to be shared too.

Are there any other functions that nearby but unconnected MKS vessels can share? If so, what's the range? 

I might want to add that to the wiki in a couple of places, but I want to make sure I have everything straight first.

Just now, Tokamak said:

Regarding disconnected components... I get scavenging/logistics and power distribution. I didn't realize that habitation was shared between nearby vessels also, and if it was in the wiki, I didn't see it. That makes life a lot easier! I just now thought to test recycling, and looking at the supplies consumption rate when I toggle a recycler that is disconnected from my hab, the recycling seems to be shared too.

Are there any other functions that nearby but unconnected MKS vessels can share? If so, what's the range? 

I might want to add that to the wiki in a couple of places, but I want to make sure I have everything straight first.

Odds are, if it is something USI-LS or MKS uses, it's shared.  Resources, converters, etc. - it's one of the main bits because I can't stand Kraken bases.

Just now, RoverDude said:

Odds are, if it is something USI-LS or MKS uses, it's shared.  Resources, converters, etc. - it's one of the main bits because I can't stand Kraken bases.

That is good to know! And that will make my bases a LOT easier to build. XD It honestly never occurred to me to check. Do you know off of the top of your head what the range is? If not, I can just test it.

I assume this will also auto-magically also work for non-MKS parts that have the appropriate MKS modules, like Planetary Base Systems? Again, I can test, but I figure asking someone who knows makes more sense than spending 10-20 minutes dinking around with a bunch of different parts.

Quick question.  In order to push to planetary logistics according to the wiki I just need the duna pioneer module and even unmanned it should be able to push, but I also remember a long time ago a change happening with that (or proposed).  Basically I guess my question is whats the bare minimum required to push to planetary storage? (playing on 1.8.1 if that matters, just trying to figure out if im doing this wrong or mod interaction problem).

Edited by Temeriki
added version

3 hours ago, Temeriki said:

Quick question.  In order to push to planetary logistics according to the wiki I just need the duna pioneer module and even unmanned it should be able to push, but I also remember a long time ago a change happening with that (or proposed).  Basically I guess my question is whats the bare minimum required to push to planetary storage? (playing on 1.8.1 if that matters, just trying to figure out if im doing this wrong or mod interaction problem).

The Material Processing Units(1.25m, 2.5m, and 3.75m) can push(but not pull) with no personnel(or even seats) on board.

These are intended to provide logistical support for unmanned mining bases.

I am not sure if the pioneer module will provide logistics without a pilot on the craft.

1 hour ago, Terwin said:

The Material Processing Units(1.25m, 2.5m, and 3.75m) can push(but not pull) with no personnel(or even seats) on board.

These are intended to provide logistical support for unmanned mining bases.

I am not sure if the pioneer module will provide logistics without a pilot on the craft.

Can it push anything filling its storage or just the stuff its processing? Basically trying to funnel materials from multiple remote mining bases into a central shipyard.

6 hours ago, Temeriki said:

Can it push anything filling its storage or just the stuff its processing? Basically trying to funnel materials from multiple remote mining bases into a central shipyard.

Pushing is a ship-wide ability that affects any USI-logistics enabled storage, only pulling requires a consumer of some sort.

But remember, pushing will only drop local storage to half of max, so if you can produce 50 ore per 6 minutes, you need at least 100 logistics enabled ore storage to avoid lossage during catch-up processing.

18 hours ago, RoverDude said:

As long as the right modules are used, your gtg.

I think the only exception to these rules is Uranium and DepletedUranium. You'll need to use the appropriate storage vessels and an Engineer to transfer these, if I recall correctly. The thought process is you don't want just anyone scavaging these things.

Unless that's changed; it's been a while since I tried.

34 minutes ago, notthebobo said:

I think the only exception to these rules is Uranium and DepletedUranium. You'll need to use the appropriate storage vessels and an Engineer to transfer these, if I recall correctly. The thought process is you don't want just anyone scavaging these things.

Unless that's changed; it's been a while since I tried.

Machinery is the other exception - same reason: The amount of machinery the part has affects it's efficiency. Though it might be possible to push/pull it between storage-only containers.

So the "Tick" with the 2.5m MPU unmanned (instead of the duna pioneer module unmanned) is pushing metallic ore and minerals into the planetary storage, the mpu is set to process both but is turned off.

Update: When I set the mpu to make chemicals and metal boths those also got pushed into planetary storage when local filled up. I have no way in situ to test if other materials its not set to process will be pushed, but looking back at past base sites and storage changes I think it will.

Edited by Temeriki
Update for processing testing.

How do I deploy the inflatable ranger stuff? I enough mats on my base but it will only give me the deploy option through a kerbal and it doesn't use the resources from the colony. I was able to deploy the habitation modules but not the greenhouse or workshop.

Edited by doodlemh

46 minutes ago, doodlemh said:

How do I deploy the inflatable ranger stuff? I enough mats on my base but it will only give me the deploy option through a kerbal and it doesn't use the resources from the colony. I was able to deploy the habitation modules but not the greenhouse or workshop.

Those need to be deployed by an engineer on eva.  And define didnt use resources, like the ones you were able to deploy didnt use resources?

Back with more questions! Sorry.

I'm reading through the manual repeatedly before I ask anything here, and I'm unclear on something, The logistics section talks about the 150m range of scavenging, and the 2km range of local logistics. But there are a few cases where "in range" is used and I'm not quite sure what range it's referring to. Does a rover need to be within 2k of both vessels? Or do you need a rover in scavenging range of each?

Rather than be confusing by describing it verbally, here is a lovely, professional-looking picture. Which situation shows the limits of local logistics correctly? I hope my diagram is intelligible. 

ZooSRIq.jpg

Best answer is typically to try things out and see - however, if my experiments from a few versions back still hold:

Situation 1 will work if and *only* if the active vessel is the rover.  Situation 2 will work regardless of which vessel you focus on.  Situation 3 will not work unless the rovers have storage themselves.

The 2km is basically the physics bubble of KSP: if you've ever approached another ship in-game and had the game pause a moment as it loaded the ship, *that's* the max range.  *Everything* involved in local logistics needs to be inside that range.

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Best answer is typically to try things out and see - however, if my experiments from a few versions back still hold:

Situation 1 will work if and *only* if the active vessel is the rover.  Situation 2 will work regardless of which vessel you focus on.  Situation 3 will not work unless the rovers have storage themselves.

The 2km is basically the physics bubble of KSP: if you've ever approached another ship in-game and had the game pause a moment as it loaded the ship, *that's* the max range.  *Everything* involved in local logistics needs to be inside that range.

But so basically, I don't need a rover and pilot on both ends of the transaction just to make it work, yes?

For what it's worth, I have done some experimenting, but trying every combination of things starts to get really time consuming after a while. Thanks for the info. :)

Hello everyone.

First, many thanks for USI Mods.

I'm experience something : when I use Karibou MKS Multi-hub, it's like his price is negative : I've a rover which cost 40000F. I've tried to simplify it, but with less parts, it's much expensive (without new parts).

I've tried with each part, and when I add Karibou MKS Multi-hub, price is decreased. Now my rover cost -4500F. Very economics (but ugly rover) !

Happy launch to you !

9 hours ago, Tabris said:

@Tokamak

as @DStaal said above Situation 2 is how it will work due to the 2.3 km physics bubble that KSP has.

the default Logistics range is 150m but putting a rover in the middle simulates using that rover to travel between the bases.

Gotcha. Thanks! Once I've played with it a bit more to make sure I haven't misunderstood anything, I will probably try to make the wiki a little more clear. 

Anybody else experiencing loading freeze with MKS_LightGlobe?
Removing MKS solved it, KSP.log contained some NRE about (just after) MKS_LightGlobe (PartLoader) when present
(and "frozen", pictures still changing, but no progress after that).

I will provide necessary logs if needed, now just asking, I know 1.10 is fresh.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:03 PM, Temeriki said:

Those need to be deployed by an engineer on eva.  And define didnt use resources, like the ones you were able to deploy didnt use resources?

by didnt use resources i mean it said i need materialkits even though i had them

There is an issue with the new drag cube generation for that Light Globe part, likely to do with an animation within the .mu. An easy way to resolve this, @firda is to just rename the Light Globe config part extension temporarily to stop KSP from trying to compile the part on game load.

I'm wondering if there is any fallout/issues/bugs/gotchas from the new version today of the game v1.10

I was planning on installing MKS today, still am, but if there are showstopping issues related to the update I'd like to know.

Workarounds as well.

Thanks.