[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

21 minutes ago, Terwin said:

You need to scan for resource lodes before you can find them.  Big ones can be scanned for from orbit(it is added to the PAW for the stock ore scanner), smaller ones can be scanned for from the surface(is it the logistic moule with this?)

Do you mean the Stock M-700-- Surveyor?  Is that the only orbital scanner that give you a scan for lodes?  Damn, and I just deployed a bunch of scansats without it opting for the Dmagic smaller units.

Edited by SkiRich
spelling

23 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Kolonization rewards are based on kerbal residence but requires a pioneer module.  Each kerbal provides one type of bonus: engineer is mining/production, Scientist is farming and science, I forget the name of the one pilots give.  Kolonists give all three, but don't give any other bonuses(like the engineer boost to production or scientist boost to farming).

Also, I believe Kerbin is fully Kolonized, so testing on Kerbin won't show anything.

12 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I also read that moving machinery around requires an engineer. In both cases they aren't available for transfer through local logistics. But I've not yet actually found out _how_, so I'm a little unclear. Having an engineer on the craft doesn't enable the resources in local logistics, and I haven't seen and relevant PAW items. Is there something I'm meant to do to replenish nuclear fuel and machinery other than just use KAS pipes?

6 hours ago, RoverDude said:

You should see a perform maintenance function on EVA

Ive had times where id see other MKs options on eva with an engineer but not the maintenance one.  Its kinda hit or miss with it not showing up and havnt been able to make it repeatable.  Sometimes switching back to the space center then going back fixes it but not always.  I get around it using the stock resource transfer system, poke it enough (I click machinery on the stock resource thing) and you can get it to allow you to move machinery like one could lfo.

Is there a kontainer that allows for orbital transfer of liquid fuels like LFO?  I'd settle for planetary as well, but orbital would be much better.

I was thinking about a refueling station in orbit but if I cant make the transfer of that resource from the surface then I have to plan something else.

33 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

Is there a kontainer that allows for orbital transfer of liquid fuels like LFO?  I'd settle for planetary as well, but orbital would be much better.

I was thinking about a refueling station in orbit but if I cant make the transfer of that resource from the surface then I have to plan something else.

W.O.L.F. will be the best way of doing this in the new release, though the infrastructure takes a bit to get rolling.

In regards to increasing efficiencies of various modules like the Duna series, adding a kerbal with the right skills does that.  I get that, but I am wondering of they specifically need to be inside that module to get that bonus or just someplace inside the craft as a whole.

So if I make a base, with all connected modules, can I put the kerbals into quarters and still get say the bonus of a Duna PDU etc?

2 hours ago, SkiRich said:

In regards to increasing efficiencies of various modules like the Duna series, adding a kerbal with the right skills does that.  I get that, but I am wondering of they specifically need to be inside that module to get that bonus or just someplace inside the craft as a whole.

So if I make a base, with all connected modules, can I put the kerbals into quarters and still get say the bonus of a Duna PDU etc?

As far as I can tell from testing, they just need to be on the craft.

However, beware physics stuff disconnecting craft docked by kerbitrails and other KAS parts. Recently I had to restore from a backup, because my colonists all died when the part my scientist was in came disconnected from the agriculture module, and they ran out of food while I was time-warping elsewhere.

4 hours ago, SkiRich said:

Do you mean the Stock M-700-- Surveyor?  Is that the only orbital scanner that give you a scan for lodes?  Damn, and I just deployed a bunch of scansats without it opting for the Dmagic smaller units.

The stock surveyor is the only way to scan for lodes form orbit, but you can also scan for lodes from the surface.  I think the pioneer module can do this?

Note: orbital lodes are much larger, but surface lodes tend to be much closer to your base(as in within physics range)

31 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

As far as I can tell from testing, they just need to be on the craft.

However, beware physics stuff disconnecting craft docked by kerbitrails and other KAS parts. Recently I had to restore from a backup, because my colonists all died when the part my scientist was in came disconnected from the agriculture module, and they ran out of food while I was time-warping elsewhere.

Itsnt there a mod that calms that down a lot? Cant think of it at the moment.

Too bad we cant set alarms on our colonies for emergencies.  Theres a feature I'd like to see.

@RoverDude I found an issue with the built in search capability in KSP related to your mods.

Using the word tundra (or MKS or USI) in the search box in the vab/sph or research tree ...

Some things show up with USI in the research tree, VAB and SPH but nothing using MKS or Tundra.

I thought it might be the special characters you use in the title or the tags but that wasnt it (tested a few files)

I suspect it may be the dash you have in the manufacturer but I am reluctant to change that in case you use that field for a key for something and a search for USI only shows a few things so it may be a combination of items in the cfg.

This is obviously low priority, but in your spare time, if you can just double check, I would love to use my search for these things, especially in the tech tree since I only play career.

Also low priority and just a suggestion, if you can move the airlocks back to advConstruction instead of nanolathing it makes more sense. (There is a MM patch in MKS if community tech tree is loaded which changes the tech node)
In the meantime I made a MM patch for myself.

Thanks for the hard work.  Looking forward to WOLF.

Quick question on the Tundra Colonization Module 3.75

It says it makes a kerbal every 405 days if a male and female kerbal are onboard the station.

1. What do you get in terms of skill for that kerbal?  Do I have a choice for education/experience trait?

2. Do they just need to be somewhere in the station or in the module ( I know the wiki says in the station but I'm double checking )

21 hours ago, SkiRich said:

In addition to WOLF, there is also Orbital Logistics which is already part of MKS.

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Logistics)#orbital-logistics-within-a-sphere-of-influence

Orbital Logistics only works within the same sphere of influence though. WOLF will allow you to setup transfers basically anywhere (e.g. Mun surface -> Mun orbit, Mun orbit -> Duna surface, Mun surface -> Duna surface, Mun east crater -> Mun canyons, etc.). Any biome connected to WOLF is eligible as the start or end point of a transport route. It's pretty awesome. :D

1 hour ago, DoktorKrogg said:

In addition to WOLF, there is also Orbital Logistics which is already part of MKS.

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Logistics)#orbital-logistics-within-a-sphere-of-influence

Orbital Logistics only works within the same sphere of influence though. WOLF will allow you to setup transfers basically anywhere (e.g. Mun surface -> Mun orbit, Mun orbit -> Duna surface, Mun surface -> Duna surface, Mun east crater -> Mun canyons, etc.). Any biome connected to WOLF is eligible as the start or end point of a transport route. It's pretty awesome. :D

Wolf wolf wolf.  Enough talk let's see it already :D :D

I know, I'm just kidding, these things take time.  I haven't played KSP in awhile but I plan to as soon as the new release drops.

1 hour ago, DoktorKrogg said:

You need a compatible container to allow for planetary logistics.

I dont seem to have an LFO container or fuel tank that can send LFO.

I may need to crack open my editor and add some MM patches.

49 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

I may need to crack open my editor and add some MM patches.

For Planetary yes, for Orbital no... you can set up orbital logistics transfers from the logistics or pioneer module, regardless of where on your craft the ressources you're sending are located. It's pretty great.

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

Wolf wolf wolf.  Enough talk let's see it already :D :D

I know, I'm just kidding, these things take time.  I haven't played KSP in awhile but I plan to as soon as the new release drops.

Gonna see it pretty soon :)  I was just finishing some testing

1 hour ago, SkiRich said:

The ones from Kontainers folder, they have ModuleUsiResourseWarehouse, if my memory serves me well. They are shaped like spheres and cylinders and default in editor to Karborundum.

Is there a construction clampotron larger than the senior version? I like the way the tundra 3.75 modules fit together on the inner node so they look like one continuous piece.  I'm building a very large orbital station in pieces and would like to connect the 3.75 pieces in orbit the same way I can in the VAB .

2 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

Is there a construction clampotron larger than the senior version? I like the way the tundra 3.75 modules fit together on the inner node so they look like one continuous piece.  I'm building a very large orbital station in pieces and would like to connect the 3.75 pieces in orbit the same way I can in the VAB .

you can attach it to the inner node, holding alt in editor, well, the ports will be compressed anyway, size don`t matters if you dock the same ports

Edited by Hohmannson

3 hours ago, SkiRich said:

Your original question was about transferring resources to orbit. Orbital Logistics does that. It's a completely separate system from Planetary Logistics with its own user interface. Unlike Planetary Logistics, Orbital Logistics doesn't require special containers.

@RoverDude I've been testing the construction clampotrons on two rovers on my airfield so I understood the mechanics of how all the options work.

Thats something I highly recommend for anyone to do before launching your first craft with these on them if you havent done it before.

I have two questions and one ask.

The ask ... I like the idea of angle snap forcing the craft to be at the same angle before the ports aquire but most of my applications for these ports will be for zero angle.
This presents a problem, there is no tolerance for being off a bit.  If off just a bit say 5 degrees there is no aquire, no torque force and obviously no engagement.
It would be handy for settings of zero angle to have a tolerance slider to say allow for a range of -10 to +10, settable, since once I'm docked I'm gonna compress rotate them anyway.

Q1: What is Multi-Weld.  Its an option, I tried it, did the same as weld as far as I can tell.

Q2: During rotation compression welding, it almost looks like there is no physics roll, sort of a magic poof that the craft is now true zero.  Is that true? 

Question about Tundra PDU productivity.

I noticed on my Station with zero kerbals in the PDU the reactor works fine.  (I have an engineer in the craft somewhere).

The Productivity stat is zero.

If I put an engineer in there it goes up by .4

But I dont see any boost in maximum current, or boost in longevity of core life.

what does the productivity s stat mean in the PDU?