[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 hours ago, Terwin said:

Not by themselves, you would need to use docking ports or have an engineer connect them with KER(probably need a fork-lift if it is not empty).

They happen to fit really nice on a KAS docking pallet.

Problem is getting it off.

With enough kerbals and an empty Kontainer its doable but forget when its loaded.  The kerbal wont grab it to undock it.  I wish there was a rt click menu for that on the pallet.

Oh well, konstruction docking ports it is.

6 hours ago, DefenderX1 said:

So I've just reinstalled MKS in hopes of starting a new sandbox save to colonize a few planets but KSP won't load, it hung loading the small lightglobe.
Any thoughts?

I'm running the latest version of KSP and JUST downloaded MKS and it's requirements via CKAN.

KSP & Player logs:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gE-QAWTz5Hyy20wDGytBYwCeiU6N6DwD/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jzPjEZ6GiAaJhgtBQwEi3CynhBRI4qrC/view?usp=sharing

Other option besides deleting the part, is to stick to KSP 1.9 until MKS is updated...

3 hours ago, SkiRich said:

With enough kerbals and an empty Kontainer its doable but forget when its loaded.  The kerbal wont grab it to undock it.  I wish there was a rt click menu for that on the pallet.

I've always liked how the Near Future Construction octo-girder docking ports look on them.

I've been docking a lot of parts lately and I noticed the konstruction ports do not have a camera view.

I cant tell if the standard ports have them built in or its a mod like docking port alignment indicator.

Anyone know how to add a camera view to the ports?

Found it.  Its HullCamVDS mod.

I'm adding in a MM patch to add the camera view to the konstruction docking ports.

Edited by SkiRich
Solved

7 minutes ago, 某事不过三兄 said:

0.9.1 compatible ?

Nope, especially given the resource system did not exist until 1.0 - get an older version from Github, but there will be no support.  Unless you mean 1.9.1 in which case yes.

7 hours ago, SkiRich said:

I've been docking a lot of parts lately and I noticed the konstruction ports do not have a camera view.

I cant tell if the standard ports have them built in or its a mod like docking port alignment indicator.

Anyone know how to add a camera view to the ports?

Found it.  Its HullCamVDS mod.

I'm adding in a MM patch to add the camera view to the konstruction docking ports.

In case anyone is like me and loves watching the docking process up close and personal.

Plus when you have that angle snap turned on, having a forward view from the point of the port with crosshairs and angle displayed is priceless for that zero angle snap.

Requires HullCamVDS Continued mod.

// Module Manager patch for HullCamVDS to add in the camera view to ports that dont have one.
// Created by SkiRich 07-18-2020
// Modified

// Docking Port Jr version of MKS Konstruction Port
@PART[ConstructionPort0]:NEEDS[HullCameraVDS]:HAS[!MODULE[MuMechModuleHullCameraZoom]]:AFTER[Konstruction]
{
	MODULE
	{
	    name = MuMechModuleHullCameraZoom
	    cameraName = #autoLOC_HULL_PM_007 //NavCam
	    cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
	    cameraUp = 0, 0, -1
	    cameraPosition = 0, 0.0, 0
	    cameraFoVMax = 60
	    cameraFoVMin = 60
	    cameraMode = 1
	}
}

// Docking Port Regular version of MKS Konstruction Port
@PART[ConstructionPort1]:NEEDS[HullCameraVDS]:HAS[!MODULE[MuMechModuleHullCameraZoom]]:AFTER[Konstruction]
{
	MODULE
	{
	    cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
	    cameraUp = 0, 0, -1
	    cameraPosition = 0, 0.07, 0
	    cameraFoVMax = 60
	    cameraFoVMin = 60
	    cameraMode = 1
	}
}

// Docking Port Sr version of MKS Konstruction Port
@PART[ConstructionPort2]:NEEDS[HullCameraVDS]:HAS[!MODULE[MuMechModuleHullCameraZoom]]:AFTER[Konstruction]
{
	MODULE
	{
	    cameraForward = 0, 1, 0
	    cameraUp = 0, 0, -1
	    cameraPosition = 0, 0, 0
	    cameraFoVMax = 80
	    cameraFoVMin = 80
	    cameraMode = 1
	}
}

Edited by SkiRich

I'm trying to wrap my head around fertilizer.

-Insert Joke Here -

I have my science space station in orbit and before I move it to Eve I have to wait a year for the transfer window.

So as a test run I put up a crew of 18 Kerbals and all the necessary  supplied I thought would be needed for the 3 year round trip journey.

Well, I discovered that activating all the hydroponics at once sure did dampen the supplies usage, as it was always topped off, but ...

I noticed that the draw for fertilizer was significantly out stripping the usage of mulch.

I thought, based on the wiki, only a little bit was needed per mulch used.

I have the Nom O Matic 25000 running along with smaller ones and an agripinics inline from SpaceStationExpansion.

In less then 30 days I went through >4500 fertilizer and the mulch never moved up or down, obviously the supplies never moved either.

The VAB editor for LSI said I should have about 3 years based on the fertilizer stored, when I finished building the craft, but now not so sure.

In flight it says 291 days, but I dont think it considers growing hydro for that calc.

So, how can I calculate the amount for fertilizer needed if the VAB got it wrong.

Also don the Agroponics just stop when no more storage is available for supplies?

6 hours ago, SkiRich said:

I noticed that the draw for fertilizer was significantly out stripping the usage of mulch.

I have the Nom O Matic 25000 running along with smaller ones and an agripinics inline from SpaceStationExpansion.

In less then 30 days I went through >4500 fertilizer and the mulch never moved up or down, obviously the supplies never moved either.

The VAB editor for LSI said I should have about 3 years based on the fertilizer stored, when I finished building the craft, but now not so sure.

What does the agriponics inline from SpaceStationExpansion  do?  That sounds almost like you are running two life support systems in parallel, and that could be why you are running through fertilizer much faster than expected.

With USI-LS and nothing from SpaceStationExpansion :

If you started with 100% supplies, then mulch should not actually go down, as it will only be used to replace used supplies.

In fact, as 10 mulch+1 fertilizer produces 11 supplies, you should see your mulch reserve grow at roughly the same rate your fertilizer goes down, as your mulch reserves are basically acting as 'overflow reserve' while you keep supplies topped off.

in detail:

while your kerbals convert 11 supplies into mulch, your nom-o-matic converts 10 mulch and 1 fertilizer into supplies, leaving you with full supplies, 1 additional mulch and 1 less fertilizer.

Usually I will launch with lots of fertilizer, a reasonable stock of supplies(leaving room for growth if it will be a long mission) and no mulch. 

Some of my mining bases will also have a refinery set to produce fertilizer so that long-duration missions can top-off when they visit.

note: Recyclers are very much your friend when it comes to long-term missions. 

18 kerbals use 32.4 supplies per hour(1.8/hour each)

One RT-5000 will set your max recycling efficiency at 79%, and for a crew of 18, you will want to supplement it with 20 RT-500 recyclers to have all crew covered at 79%.

This will let you keep your supplies full with either three Nom-O-Matic 25000, or one Nom-O-Matic 25000  and one Nom-O-Matic 25000 inline.

Supply usage should be 6.804/hr  or ~3.71 fertilizer per day, or just under 4750 fertilizer in 3 kerbin years.  (But make sure you turn on all your recyclers!)

Without recyclers you would need almost 22,600 fertilizer for 3 years(and almost 5 times as many nom-o-matics to keep up)

Recycler maths:

the RT-5000 supports 3 kerbals at 79%, each RT-500 supports 1 kerbal at 60%.  15 kerbals *79%=1185%   1185%/60%=19.75 RT-500 recyclers to cover the other 15 at the RT-5000 level.

(1 RT 5000 weighs 3.5 tons, and RT 500 weigh 0.1 tons each, so total recycler mass: 5.5 tons)

Edited by Terwin

20 hours ago, SkiRich said:

What's a KAS docking pallet? I use KAS but i can't figure out what you're talking about, but it sounds cool, care to enlighten me?

6 hours ago, SkiRich said:

I'm trying to wrap my head around fertilizer.

-Insert Joke Here -

I have my science space station in orbit and before I move it to Eve I have to wait a year for the transfer window.

So as a test run I put up a crew of 18 Kerbals and all the necessary  supplied I thought would be needed for the 3 year round trip journey.

Well, I discovered that activating all the hydroponics at once sure did dampen the supplies usage, as it was always topped off, but ...

In flight it says 291 days, but I dont think it considers growing hydro for that calc.

So, how can I calculate the amount for fertilizer needed if the VAB got it wrong.

Also don the Agroponics just stop when no more storage is available for supplies?

To me that sounds like you *might* have forgotten to turn on your recyclers? Since the VAB should always go off all recyclers and producers being activated, it would explain the VAB estimate and your in-flight experience differing as much as they are...

Also, roverdude and doktorkrogg, the more i read about W.O.L.F., the more excited i get, gimme gimme gimme! :) All jokes aside, i'll be playing this game a long while yet and your awesome modding efforts are a big part of that...

Cheers!

2 hours ago, TheBackIsBAck said:

What's a KAS docking pallet? I use KAS but i can't figure out what you're talking about, but it sounds cool, care to enlighten me?

To me that sounds like you *might* have forgotten to turn on your recyclers? Since the VAB should always go off all recyclers and producers being activated, it would explain the VAB estimate and your in-flight experience differing as much as they are...

Also, roverdude and doktorkrogg, the more i read about W.O.L.F., the more excited i get, gimme gimme gimme! :) All jokes aside, i'll be playing this game a long while yet and your awesome modding efforts are a big part of that...

Cheers!

@TheBackIsBAck Its the part that looks like a big X with an attachment node on it.  It may be a KIS part.  KIS/KAS, those two go together.

You take a KIS Square container and the Kerbal can drop it on the pallet and pick it up, no tools.

MKS Containers work on it,  so do Wild Blue Containers, which can be reconfigured into tanks in situ.

I like @DStaal recommendation to use NFC's girder dock.  That fits perfectly on it and does indeed look cool.  Uses a lot of room though, so in tight places the KIS Pallet is better.

@Terwin Thanks for the clarification.  I'll definitely be doing some testing.  The Agroponics module from StationPartExpansion is basically a Nom-O-Matic 25000 in a different dress.  Its a bit larger and from the cfg produces a bit more then a NOM25k

I'm going to do a bit of testing to make sure that unit wasnt the hyper consumer of the fertilizer.

@RoverDude What is the update period for the Life Support window to update the stats for home, hab, and supplies?

I noticed when I docked a resupply ship my hab went down on the space station, but when I was done and undocked it didnt go back up.

After I landed the resupply ship and went back to the station to check it out, it was back to where it was before which is what I expected when undocking.

Opinion wanted.

If you wanted to create a self sustaining planet base on minmus or mun, which would you choose?

Minmus has plenty of minerals everywhere and has a low gravity so great as a take off place for extraplanetary expeditions.  But that gravity is also a pain in the butt since it doesnt hold stuff down well like rovers.  Landscape is a bit boring.

Mun has minerals but they are more scattered and has more gravity so it take more of an effort to land and launch, but its closer, the gravity makes roving around easier, and the landscape is nicer to explore.

My goal is to make a monster space station in orbit as the takeoff point/refuel point for all extra planetary exploration and have a planet base sustain the orbital base.

15 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

Opinion wanted.

If you wanted to create a self sustaining planet base on minmus or mun, which would you choose?

I generally go with the Mun for reduced transit time, no orbital tilt, and usually fewer biomes needed to cover all required resources.

Although it is not uncommon for me to just have a refueling base in orbit of Kerbin with a mining drone that refills with ore from the mun.

2 minutes ago, ski23 said:

Planetary Logistics with MKS does not seem to be working correctly. As you can see here, I have a logistics module, and a container with more than 50% contents but yet none of the contents are being pulled to the planetary logistics warehouse. Has anyone seen this issue or know of a fix?

https://imgur.com/a/2iJrjTC

How long did you wait?

7 hours ago, ski23 said:

Planetary Logistics with MKS does not seem to be working correctly. As you can see here, I have a logistics module, and a container with more than 50% contents but yet none of the contents are being pulled to the planetary logistics warehouse. Has anyone seen this issue or know of a fix?

https://imgur.com/a/2iJrjTC

I came up to the same problem a while ago, the thing is that the duna pioneer module only features local and orbital, but not planetary logistics. You need to unlock the Duna logistics module for planetary... i don't know if that's by design, since iirc the tundra pioneer module does everything, but there you go... If you feel like that doesn't make any sense, add the required module to the part ;) 

Cheers

1 hour ago, TheBackIsBAck said:

I came up to the same problem a while ago, the thing is that the duna pioneer module only features local and orbital, but not planetary logistics. You need to unlock the Duna logistics module for planetary... i don't know if that's by design, since iirc the tundra pioneer module does everything, but there you go... If you feel like that doesn't make any sense, add the required module to the part ;) 

Cheers

Thank you that was very confusing.