[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

MKS Includes the Ground Construction Core, but that is just a small subset of things that GC provides.

Watching some videos about GC (there is is no MKS wiki on GC-Its empty) the mod shows two modules, the assembler and constructor.

Which parts do these functions map to in MKS?

I have just updated to 1.10, and the KSP loading screen shows that all mods are compatible, but after the loading reaches the item "UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/LightGlobe.cfg", it stops, and won't continue loading. How can I prevent this? I would provide you with the logs, but I don't know here they are. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kev1n8088 said:

I have just updated to 1.10, and the KSP loading screen shows that all mods are compatible, but after the loading reaches the item "UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/LightGlobe.cfg", it stops, and won't continue loading. How can I prevent this? I would provide you with the logs, but I don't know here they are. Thanks!

If you read back a page or so you will find that the drag cube for that part is bad.  Right now the only solution is to delete the part until it is fixed and updated.

Opinion Wanted.

Whats the best way to anchor a space station to a captured asteroid in orbit?

I was thinking up a contraption with four grabber claws on pistons that would be lowered one at a time so that I could get all of them to anchor.
I'm not even sure thats possible, to attach more than one grabber claw.

That Alpha station (picture up in the threads above) will have enough DV to return from Eve back to Kerbin so I want to put it to good use by adding some components to it and attaching that asteroid, which is a class C, so plenty of free orbital Ore to build things with.

Anyone else have some ideas on the best ways to attach a large station to a large asteroid and keep the two from destroying themselves?

4 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

Opinion Wanted.

I have had good success with a single claw.

The most important thing is to line up with the COM of the asteroid, so that you can move the thing without spinning into a death spiral.

You can fine-tune a little bit with adjusting the angle of the claw, but you want to start as close as feasible.

I have had some success with asteroids in the past

1 minute ago, Terwin said:

I have had good success with a single claw.

The most important thing is to line up with the COM of the asteroid, so that you can move the thing without spinning into a death spiral.

You can fine-tune a little bit with adjusting the angle of the claw, but you want to start as close as feasible.

I have had some success with asteroids in the past

One stock claw seems a bit small and weak for a monster Class C to attach a Monster Space Station to.

I'm wondering if that JAW thingy I posted just above is a monster claw that operates the same.  I havent unlocked the node yet, and well, there is not description.

I may just exit the game and start a sandbox to tool around with it.

Hyperedit an asteroid into orbit and then try and see whats what.

I learned the hard way that moving a class C required about 10,000 kN thrust to get a 1:1 TWR.

The kicker is going to be to develop some sort of maneuvering apparatus to get the two to dock right.  The station doesnt move like a rocket, too big, and the asteroid is too heravy but its going to be the asteroid that is going to dock to the station.

This is going to be fun.

20 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

One stock claw seems a bit small and weak for a monster Class C to attach a Monster Space Station to.

I used the stock claw to link up 6 asteroids in Dres orbit, five of them were Class E with a total mass of over 11,000 tons, the largest was 3155 tons.

This gallery shows the process

My thrust was 180kn from 3 Nerv.   No, I did not go fast, but with a single claw aimed at the center of mass, I was able to maneuver them quite well.

The hard part was getting the asteroid to line up the double-sided claw apparatus I had on the far side with the linked rocks.

Fortunately, I am well accustomed to docking with the klaw using just reaction wheels and main engines as that is my usual approach to docking.

Edited by Terwin

39 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

@Terwin thats a prety neat setup.

How did you move a class E with just 180kn ?

I couldnt budge a class C with 2000kn.  Flight Engineer said I had just 0.15 TWR and I had to go from 9000 m/s to 550 m/s before the thing left the SOI of kerbin.

Physical time-warp for the burns and lots more time-warp for travel time.

It helped that I grabbed the closest class E  and just had to shift the orbit slightly to meet up with the cluster.

For the class B asteroid I landed at KSC, I had to harvest and burn a lot of the ore for the dv I needed.

I have found that large ore tanks and regular trips to the Mun are a much easier orbital refueling solution than captured asteroids... 

11 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Physical time-warp for the burns and lots more time-warp for travel time.

It helped that I grabbed the closest class E  and just had to shift the orbit slightly to meet up with the cluster.

For the class B asteroid I landed at KSC, I had to harvest and burn a lot of the ore for the dv I needed.

I have found that large ore tanks and regular trips to the Mun are a much easier orbital refueling solution than captured asteroids... 

You are probably right, but now I have the rock in orbit and need to do something with it. Maybe instead of attaching it to the station which would be a PITA I build an automated mining operation on it and just harvest the ore until its gone.

You only get ore from asteroids right?

1 hour ago, SkiRich said:

You only get ore from asteroids right?

You also get ore from planetary bodies.  They do not run out, but can have varying density/rate of production based on the biome(randomly determined each game).

1 minute ago, Terwin said:

You also get ore from planetary bodies.  They do not run out, but can have varying density/rate of production based on the biome(randomly determined each game).

Right , I just wanted to confirm asteroids were finite and only had one resource.  Its not like I'l find kethane on it.

What happens to an asteroid when it runs dry of ore?  Does it go poof?

1 minute ago, SkiRich said:

What happens to an asteroid when it runs dry of ore?  Does it go poof?

IT has a non-ore mass that is still around.  I forget if they get smaller as you harvest them or not.

The KFD-500 Torch Drive is a Karborundum drive that requires Karborundum, Water and Electricity.

I've noticed there are no water storage tanks included in the mod.

Where can I get water storage from to use this drive?  It needs a lot on hand to function.

Disregard.  All the storage tanks have it as an option for cargo type.  Never noticed it.

Edited by SkiRich

On 7/23/2020 at 10:10 PM, SkiRich said:

Opinion Wanted.

I was thinking up a contraption with four grabber claws on pistons that would be lowered one at a time so that I could get all of them to anchor.
I'm not even sure thats possible, to attach more than one grabber claw.

That Alpha station (picture up in the threads above) will have enough DV to return from Eve back to Kerbin so I want to put it to good use by adding some components to it and attaching that asteroid, which is a class C, so plenty of free orbital Ore to build things with.

Anyone else have some ideas on the best ways to attach a large station to a large asteroid and keep the two from destroying themselves?

Your previous post showed the best way imho if they still work, the Jaw is the Claw variant for asteroids, which you can then burrow and mine into and connect with the other modules in that part node. Been a while since i used them so you might need to experiment but the asteroid mining equipment is the best imo.

EDIT: Also there should be a mass driver part to this, maybe one node further, that allows you to use the mined rock from the asteroid as a propulsion component, pretty neat. The Mod is Asteroid Recycling Technologies btw :) 

Edited by TheBackIsBAck
Added more info and a link

5 minutes ago, TheBackIsBAck said:

Your previous post showed the best way imho if they still work, the Jaw is the Claw variant for asteroids, which you can then burrow and mine into and connect with the other modules in that part node. Been a while since i used them so you might need to experiment but the asteroid mining equipment is the best imo.

EDIT: Also there should be a mass driver part to this, maybe one node further, that allows you to use the mined rock from the asteroid as a propulsion component, pretty neat. The Mod is Asteroid Recycling Technologies btw :) 

I did see the Mass Driver. That is definitely on my list to try. Probably gonna use them as massive RCS thrusters for the asteroid.

How do you use the Jaw?  Its basically just a claw?  It doesnt have any other modules in the cfg other than grapple.  So then why use this over a claw if I cant harvest anything with it?  I must be missing something here.

19 hours ago, SkiRich said:

I did see the Mass Driver. That is definitely on my list to try. Probably gonna use them as massive RCS thrusters for the asteroid.

How do you use the Jaw?  Its basically just a claw?  It doesnt have any other modules in the cfg other than grapple.  So then why use this over a claw if I cant harvest anything with it?  I must be missing something here.

I Haven't used it in a while, don't remember if it used to have a description either so maybe it's borked all together, but i kinda doubt it from a roverdude mod lol...

This video helped me out last time, check it out :) 

EDIT: realized that this video is pretty old, things might have changed since then... I'm waiting for the next USI update before i dig too much into my last started career since  W.O.L.F is probably going to change a lot of things with how i design missions and bases, so you'll have to figure it out yourself if the video isn't 100% accurate anymore... sorry 

Edited by TheBackIsBAck
Added "disclaimer" about video age

Thanks for the video.  I didnt realize this was a separate mod for USI for asteroid mining and went through the video and read the forum a bit.

In my giddy mod fueled download senssions I must have add this component with the intent of coming back to it, but completely forgot.

It all makes sense now, and I didnt know I could cavity the asteroid with it either , so bonus!

Does it even make sense to fly in additional drills or just go for a rock to whatever converter?  I guess not since a drill wont "cavity" the asteroid like a jaw will.

Edited by SkiRich

@TheBackIsBAck You can save me a step if you can tell me if the MKS drills will also "cavity" an asteroid.

I'm assuming the functions of asteroids have changed once I installed ART, and instead of using a JAW to convert the asteroid to rock, which I then need to figure out how to convert it to other things, can I just install a few drills and still get the empty space in the asteroid I can convert to a tank of some sort?

Completely un-needed.  While I goofed with getting a drill to contact the asteroid due to the jaw being so deeply embedded, it wasnt needed.

I found out that the jaw will excavate any and - more importantly - EVERY material a drill can excavate as long as you have the storage on board.  No setting anything up, just start the drill and make sure you have that storage capacity.

OMG this is my new favorite toy!

Edited by SkiRich

7 hours ago, SkiRich said:

@TheBackIsBAck You can save me a step if you can tell me if the MKS drills will also "cavity" an asteroid.

I'm assuming the functions of asteroids have changed once I installed ART, and instead of using a JAW to convert the asteroid to rock, which I then need to figure out how to convert it to other things, can I just install a few drills and still get the empty space in the asteroid I can convert to a tank of some sort?

Completely un-needed.  While I goofed with getting a drill to contact the asteroid due to the jaw being so deeply embedded, it wasnt needed.

I found out that the jaw will excavate any and - more importantly - EVERY material a drill can excavate as long as you have the storage on board.  No setting anything up, just start the drill and make sure you have that storage capacity.

OMG this is my new favorite toy!

Glad you figured it out, i plan to go pretty heavy on asteroid stuff for resources as soon as the USI 1.10 stuff comes out if W.O.L.F. allows for setting up a system like that.

What you said though about the materials it'll excavate, it does only excavate what the asteroid has right? Or does every asteroid have every material? Don't remember how asteroid stuff works but if that's the case that sounds almost a bit too easy, no?

17 minutes ago, TheBackIsBAck said:

What you said though about the materials it'll excavate, it does only excavate what the asteroid has right? Or does every asteroid have every material? Don't remember how asteroid stuff works but if that's the case that sounds almost a bit too easy, no?

Sshhh. Not too loud.

In stock all you get is Ore.  With ART it seems that the Jaw will extract anything and everything ALL at the same time that a USI drill would have needed to be programmed before for launch to do and be limited to the number of Bays.

I did a test and put 5 different storage units on the craft and hyperedited to the asteroid. planted Jaws, started the laser and all of the storages where filing.

So WOO-HOO, err, shhh.

18 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

Sshhh. Not too loud.

In stock all you get is Ore.  With ART it seems that the Jaw will extract anything and everything ALL at the same time that a USI drill would have needed to be programmed before for launch to do and be limited to the number of Bays.

I did a test and put 5 different storage units on the craft and hyperedited to the asteroid. planted Jaws, started the laser and all of the storages where filing.

So WOO-HOO, err, shhh.

Oh sweet jesus, and here i was thinking asteroid had special compositions and stuff... I would say "shouldn't that get added to ART?" but i have sources that claim "It's totally fine" and "Don't even worry about it, dog" so i guess we should just enjoy the bountiful wealth of resources - erm i meant enjoy the annoying sifting through asteroid dust for resources!

No but seriously, thanks for clearing that up!

Is there something that I am missing regarding machinery? I'm not sure how I'm meant to supply my kolony components with it. It is not transferable with local logistics, and right-clicking on a part with an engineer on EVA doesn't show the "perform maintenance" option (which I think is outdated?) that I've read about when searching for help.

I can obviously just get out some KAS pipes and transfer machinery that way, but I must be missing something. Probably something simple...