[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

21 hours ago, QubicQuantum said:

I'm Also having trouble deploying inflatable modules.

Hi! 

Have you tried in EVA and from inside the ship? Some modules require a Kerbal on EVA and some are deployed from inside the vessel, it says which is which in the parts description in the VAB.

If that doesn't fix it then something might be borked...

Some modules also take materialkits to inflate as well, so also look that up in the VAB :)

Hope that fixes your problem!

Cheers

This may be a silly question, but... expired hab or home time makes a kerbal homesick, and turns them into a tourist. The medical bay makes kerbals no longer homesick, but the wiki says they have to be inside the medical bay module. But since tourists can't EVA, if one gets homesick in an unconnected part of your base, how are you meant to even get that kerbal to the medical bay?

1 hour ago, Tokamak said:

This may be a silly question, but... expired hab or home time makes a kerbal homesick, and turns them into a tourist. The medical bay makes kerbals no longer homesick, but the wiki says they have to be inside the medical bay module. But since tourists can't EVA, if one gets homesick in an unconnected part of your base, how are you meant to even get that kerbal to the medical bay?

You could use a rover to transfer them as one option.

Be aware that if you do not fix the underlying issue(supplies or homesickness) then they will quickly become tourists again after leaving the medical bay.

23 minutes ago, Terwin said:

You could use a rover to transfer them as one option.

Be aware that if you do not fix the underlying issue(supplies or homesickness) then they will quickly become tourists again after leaving the medical bay.

Since they can't EVA, I assume you mean a rover with docking ports or kerbitrails that can mate with both the source and destination vessels in sequence? If so, that's what I was afraid of, but if there's no help for it, then that's what I'll do. :)

I think I must have misunderstood the medical bay's mechanics. I got the impression from the wiki that it reset those timers. If it doesn't, then since adding more supplies or hab space automatically returns grumpy kerbals to work, I'm a little unclear on what the medical bay is even for.

14 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

Since they can't EVA, I assume you mean a rover with docking ports or kerbitrails that can mate with both the source and destination vessels in sequence? If so, that's what I was afraid of, but if there's no help for it, then that's what I'll do. :)

I think I must have misunderstood the medical bay's mechanics. I got the impression from the wiki that it reset those timers. If it doesn't, then since adding more supplies or hab space automatically returns grumpy kerbals to work, I'm a little unclear on what the medical bay is even for.

The medical bay is the only way to reverse the timers after a kerbal has become a tourist.

It runs the tourist clock backwards at an accelerated rate(perhaps as much as 20x total across all treated kerbals if I remember correctly?) consuming colonization supplies to do so.  The longer the kerbal has been a tourist, the longer it takes for them to recover.

It is most useful for when you ship kerbals to an established base on a too-small vessel or send a resupply ship to a vessel that ran out of resources.

It is much more space and cost efficient to just keep kerbals supplied and happy instead of trying to bring them back from being a tourist.

1 hour ago, QubicQuantum said:

Is it possible to build a self sustaining base on an asteroid? I can't seem to get the MKS Drills to work on one, so i don't think it's possible.

this took a while to get approved and i also would like to add some more to it.

I am wondering if you can get the necessary supplies to make colony supplies and machinery from an asteroid. I am trying to make a mobile asteroid warp base, and would like to be able to create vessels using GC and keep the kerbals there indefinitely.

1 hour ago, QubicQuantum said:

I am wondering if you can get the necessary supplies to make colony supplies and machinery from an asteroid. I am trying to make a mobile asteroid warp base, and would like to be able to create vessels using GC and keep the kerbals there indefinitely.

I am fairly sure you can, but asteroids have limited resources, so it will quickly run out of raw materials if you try to do things like build ships with them.

(even just turning them into fuel tends to empty them out pretty quick in my experience)

5 hours ago, Terwin said:

The medical bay is the only way to reverse the timers after a kerbal has become a tourist.

It runs the tourist clock backwards at an accelerated rate(perhaps as much as 20x total across all treated kerbals if I remember correctly?) consuming colonization supplies to do so.  The longer the kerbal has been a tourist, the longer it takes for them to recover.

It is most useful for when you ship kerbals to an established base on a too-small vessel or send a resupply ship to a vessel that ran out of resources.

It is much more space and cost efficient to just keep kerbals supplied and happy instead of trying to bring them back from being a tourist.

Gotcha. Thanks for explaining. :)

16 hours ago, QubicQuantum said:

Yeah the not unlimited bit but also you can't use MKS drills afaik, you gotta use the JAW from the asteroid mining mod

Hello, my little green button on the right hand side that you click to check the Kerbal's supplies, EC, etc is not there; and the kerbal's do not seem to consume supplies at all!

everything else seems right, though, but why are all the Kontainers in the heavy rocketry tech level?

AAAAAAnd the tech tree does not change at all!!!!! Excpet for the new parts, which are in weird locations....... is this everybody, or just me????

Can some one tell me what should me in the game data folder? i think its my instalation procces that is the problem. (Try saying that five times fast:sticktongue:

P.S. How do you detonate the detonater in Start?

Edited by Turbodyne

18 minutes ago, Turbodyne said:

Hello, my little green button on the right hand side that you click to check the Kerbal's supplies, EC, etc is not there; and the kerbal's do not seem to consume supplies at all!

everything else seems right, though, but why are all the Kontainers in the heavy rocketry tech level?

AAAAAAnd the tech tree does not change at all!!!!! Excpet for the new parts, which are in weird locations....... is this everybody, or just me????

Can some one tell me what should me in the game data folder? i think its my instalation procces that is the problem. (Try saying that five times fast:sticktongue:

Green cube thing is USI-LS :)  Better for you to show us your gamedata folder.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Green cube thing is USI-LS :)  Better for you to show us your gamedata folder.

@RoverDude

Squad,

SquadExpansion,

000_USITools,

CommunityResourcePack,

Firespitter,

GroundConstruction,

UmbraSpaceIndustries.

BTW, thank you roverdude for being a good modder, I loooooove your work!!!!! :)

The thing is, i have supplies avalible to me, but the Kerbals(Bless their souls) do not seem to need them!!!

Edited by Turbodyne

1 hour ago, Turbodyne said:

Is that right?Because I have 1.7.1.

I'm not sure but I thought there was a blurb somewhere where the minimum version of ksp is 1.8.1 to use the latest MKS.

You might want to download an earlier release from the github page for 1.7.1

On 8/8/2020 at 10:51 PM, Tokamak said:

Gotcha. Thanks for explaining. :)

@Tokamak Simple solution would be to make a Medical Bay Rover.  An Ambulance of sorts, with either a dock port or grabber claw, both of which allow docking transfers of kerbals.

I'm sorry to keep coming back and asking about this, but I am still confused about how I am supposed to deal with machinery. I made a simple test rig of two craft:

Craft A: has an agricultural module and kerbitat, each with zero machinery, so they don't work yet. In case it mattered, I put a scientist and engineer in those modules, respectvely.

Craft B: has a workshop, and several thousand machinery in storage. The workshop has an engineer in it.

They are 1 meter from each other. Both have power. I can timeskip for days and days, and no machinery is transferred from Craft B (with the workshop) to Craft A (which needs machinery).

All the parts are the Tundra versions, if that's relevant.

I can also go to the VAB, timeskip, and go back to the test setup. Still nothing.

Also just in case I grossly misunderstood, I checked and there is no "perform maintenance" option in the action menu on any of the parts (including the workshop) when commanding the craft, or on EVA with an engineer.

I've tried everything that I can think of. I've searched through the wiki repeatedly. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Nothing I can do causes machinery to be transferred like I've been told it's supposed to be. 

I suppose that I can just fill my actual colony with a zillion crisscrossing KAS pipes or something, but that can't be the intended usage.

Edited to add: Obviously I can do something silly like make a machinery tanker rover and tool around the base refilling things, but I'm trying to use the mechanisms MKS gives me.

Edited by Tokamak

Everything else seems right, though, but why are all the Kontainers in the heavy rocketry tech level?

And the tech tree does not change at all!!!!! Excpet for the new parts, which are in weird locations....... is this everybody, or just me????

Can some one tell me what should be in the game data folder? i think its my instalation procces that is the problem. (Try saying that five times fast)

In my GameData folder there are:

Squad,

SquadExpansion,

000_USITools,

CommunityResourcePack,

Firespitter,

GroundConstruction,

UmbraSpaceIndustries.

Is that right? Or am i forgetting something? Plz Tell me! Thank you.

Edited by Turbodyne

7 minutes ago, Turbodyne said:

MKS does not modify the the tree(aside from adding parts).  The Community Tech Tree mod is both recommended and supported if you would like a more in-depth tech tree.

I believe HEavy rocketry has jarge fuel tanks, so it makes sense to put other storage there, as the stock tech tree does not have many good options for non-stock parts.

4 minutes ago, Terwin said:

MKS does not modify the the tree(aside from adding parts).  The Community Tech Tree mod is both recommended and supported if you would like a more in-depth tech tree.

I believe HEavy rocketry has jarge fuel tanks, so it makes sense to put other storage there, as the stock tech tree does not have many good options for non-stock parts.

Is my GameData folder right?

Edited by Turbodyne

2 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I'm sorry to keep coming back and asking about this, but I am still confused about how I am supposed to deal with machinery. I made a simple test rig of two craft:

Craft A: has an agricultural module and kerbitat, each with zero machinery, so they don't work yet. In case it mattered, I put a scientist and engineer in those modules, respectvely.

Craft B: has a workshop, and several thousand machinery in storage. The workshop has an engineer in it.

They are 1 meter from each other. Both have power. I can timeskip for days and days, and no machinery is transferred from Craft B (with the workshop) to Craft A (which needs machinery).

All the parts are the Tundra versions, if that's relevant.

I can also go to the VAB, timeskip, and go back to the test setup. Still nothing.

Also just in case I grossly misunderstood, I checked and there is no "perform maintenance" option in the action menu on any of the parts (including the workshop) when commanding the craft, or on EVA with an engineer.

I've tried everything that I can think of. I've searched through the wiki repeatedly. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Nothing I can do causes machinery to be transferred like I've been told it's supposed to be. 

I suppose that I can just fill my actual colony with a zillion crisscrossing KAS pipes or something, but that can't be the intended usage.

Edited to add: Obviously I can do something silly like make a machinery tanker rover and tool around the base refilling things, but I'm trying to use the mechanisms MKS gives me.

The tundra workshop does not have the Resource Warehouse module which is a requirement for Logistics Consumers to take from nearby stocks.
You could add a ModuleManager patch to add that module to the workshop if you really wanted to.  It should work on saves as well (if it doesnt you may need to edit the save file and just add it to the deployed part).

A quick ultrafinder search of the collection shows all the "tanks" and storages have this module, and only the Ranger and Tundra ISM's have this module.

2 minutes ago, SkiRich said:

The tundra workshop does not have the Resource Warehouse module which is a requirement for Logistics Consumers to take from nearby stocks.
You could add a ModuleManager patch to add that module to the workshop if you really wanted to.  It should work on saves as well (if it doesnt you may need to edit the save file and just add it to the deployed part).

A quick ultrafinder search of the collection shows all the "tanks" and storages have this module, and only the Ranger and Tundra ISM's have this module.

Noted, but I'm not asking how to mod the parts. I also believe that Machinery is specifically exempt from local and planetary logistics. It's not manually transferable with the local logistics panel, for example.

I'm asking about how I am meant to use MKS as it is designed. The part description says that it "performs daily maintenance on nearby vessels", which I've been told means topping off the machinery. But I cannot get that effect to happen with any permutation that I try.

So, I can figure out hackish ways to keep my MKS parts stocked with machinery, but what I'm trying to establish is how am I _meant_ to do so, in the design of the mod itself. Every attempt I've made to understand what I am supposed to do and implement that has not done anything.

Sorry if I sound a little frustrated, but at this point I've sunk quite a few hours into trying to learn the ins-and-outs of MKS, because it is a wonderful mod. But it's frustrating when a core mechanic like this is something I can't work out through documentation or experimentation. Nobody else seems to have a problem, so I know I'm doing something wrong, but I cannot determine what.