[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 hours ago, Terwin said:

I only know that others have the latest version of MKS running in 1.10 after they remove the light-globe piece.

Personally I am waiting to build a grand inter-planetary network once the new version comes out with W.O.L.F.(and presumably ATLAS will be nice too).

I've heard some references to W.O.L.F. What actually is it?

11 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

I've heard some references to W.O.L.F. What actually is it?

WOLF is a way to handle interplanetary colonization and resource transportation without having large processor-heavy bases sitting around that need to be visited to run the catch-up processes.

Instead you establish a base in a specific biome of a planetary body and add on components such as resource extractors, power supplies, life support production, kerbals, refineries, etc.

These 'added components' disappear from the rendered solar system, but instead provide a continuous flow of resources from that biome.(you can only add items when all of the prerequisites are available, so you can't add a kerbal without sufficient life support production, and you can't add a drill without sufficient power production, and you can't add a new power plant without sufficient available engineering capacity, etc)

You can also create transport capacity by taking a vessel(I think It needs a specific 'transport computer' part), and taking it from one biome to another(I think 'orbit' needs to be a 'low, mostly circular orbit').

If you have transportation hubs in both biomes, you can then assign the transport of one or more resources using that transportation route(with a cost based on the mass of the vessel lost  in transit, making solar powered buggies the preferred method of making transport routes between biomes on the same body)

These resources can then be collected from output nodes that can be installed on in-simulation bases, and will provide a continuous supply of that resource so long as it is assigned to the output node.

Also, as this is a continuous supply, there is a limit on what can be harvested from each biome.  Last I checked I think it was similar to 1 unit per percentage point of the resource concentration in that biome.

Bases can also be set up in Kerbin biomes, and that seems to be a good approach for starting out as on-kerbin bases start with both power and supplies production, instead of just power which is what you get off-kerbin.  (I think the plan is that Kerbin cannot produce rare metals or exotic minerals, but Kerbin's oceans are a great source of water for Mun bases).

I know, but as I said, this problem occured after installing MKS. And after de-, and reinstalling multiple mods multiple times, it always displayed that problem only after I had downloaded MKS. Strangely enough, it seems it also wasn't just a problem with IFS, because when I tried simply deinstalling IFS, the entire game pretty much broke.

3 hours ago, Geryz said:

I know, but as I said, this problem occured after installing MKS. And after de-, and reinstalling multiple mods multiple times, it always displayed that problem only after I had downloaded MKS. Strangely enough, it seems it also wasn't just a problem with IFS, because when I tried simply deinstalling IFS, the entire game pretty much broke.

I'm going from old memory, so I could be wrong.  You may run into compatibility issues.  the USI mod family utilizes firespitter for its tank switching functions, while some other mods use IFS.  I'm not positive but I thought I recalled that the 2 tank switching mods don't play well together.

I'm back playing KSP after some years. I've just discovered that when I did the RPM IVA for the Karibou, I didn't take account of the way male kerbals are slightly taller than female kerbals. As it happens my test driver was female, and so the bottom seat's instrument panel (which is above the driver) is nicely positioned for a female kerbal, but if the driver is male it means you can barely see above the vessel's centreline at all. Sorry about that.

I could move it up so it is correctly positioned for a male kerbal. This won't create a similar problem; a female kerbal can pan the view up to see a panel that's too high by default (seeing slightly less of the ground passing under the rover; and this won't be _super_ convenient, but it's even less convenient for male kerbals now) but as it is now a male kerbal can't pan the view in any way to stop the panel blocking his forward view.

Would that be useful enough to be accepted? I'll not make promises; I'd have to dig out all the tools I used last time and remember how to do it, and I might just decide I'll let women do all the rover driving.

4 hours ago, Geryz said:

Sorry, that does not jive.  Your best bet is a clean install because it sounds like you broke something along the way.

I know, and I have reinstalled the entire GameData Folder, and even the game, then it does work, but trying to install the same mods as before, again, breaks the moment I install MKS. I have tried about 5 times and the only solution I have found so far is to just use TAC for LS and Planetatry Base Systems for Kolonization. 

5 minutes ago, Geryz said:

I know, and I have reinstalled the entire GameData Folder, and even the game, then it does work, but trying to install the same mods as before, again, breaks the moment I install MKS. I have tried about 5 times and the only solution I have found so far is to just use TAC for LS and Planetatry Base Systems for Kolonization. 

FYI PBS is parts, no core DLLs that make Kolonization work.  The issue with MKS in 1.10x is, as noted, a single config file that has to be removed.  Beyond that, lots of folks not having similar issues - there's likely something else in what you have that's causing a compatibility issue.

8 minutes ago, Geryz said:

Which mod(s) are using IFS?

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

FYI PBS is parts, no core DLLs that make Kolonization work.  The issue with MKS in 1.10x is, as noted, a single config file that has to be removed.  Beyond that, lots of folks not having similar issues - there's likely something else in what you have that's causing a compatibility issue.

It has been a really long time, but I thought at one point firespitter and interstellar fuel switch didn't always play well together?

Just now, goldenpsp said:

Which mod(s) are using IFS?

It has been a really long time, but I thought at one point firespitter and interstellar fuel switch didn't always play well together?

Very likely it would cause some grief unless IFS is aware of the Firespitter modules (and given IFS was a derivative work, I'd put that responsibility for any defensive coding right there).  So yes, the magic question would be why IFS, and whether whatever is bundling it has alternate configs for Firespitter.

I'm seeing an issue with Colony Rewards, specifically if you let Reputation accrue for a long time. I've got a Minmus colony with 20ish Kolonists, and when I check rewards, I often get more than a thousand Reputation...which seems to cause it to overflow/reset to 0. While this isn't a massive deal, since I don't do tons of contracts anymore, it'd still be nice to not drop to like 20% rep when I check on the colony :P.

Looking at the console, didn't seem to be any obvious references or errors when it happened. I was running 50% Rep -> Funds campaign though.

Edited by Galthromir
Found new details

On 9/9/2020 at 10:33 AM, Terwin said:

WOLF is a way to handle interplanetary colonization and resource transportation without having large processor-heavy bases sitting around that need to be visited to run the catch-up processes.

Instead you establish a base in a specific biome of a planetary body and add on components such as resource extractors, power supplies, life support production, kerbals, refineries, etc.

These 'added components' disappear from the rendered solar system, but instead provide a continuous flow of resources from that biome.(you can only add items when all of the prerequisites are available, so you can't add a kerbal without sufficient life support production, and you can't add a drill without sufficient power production, and you can't add a new power plant without sufficient available engineering capacity, etc)

You can also create transport capacity by taking a vessel(I think It needs a specific 'transport computer' part), and taking it from one biome to another(I think 'orbit' needs to be a 'low, mostly circular orbit').

If you have transportation hubs in both biomes, you can then assign the transport of one or more resources using that transportation route(with a cost based on the mass of the vessel lost  in transit, making solar powered buggies the preferred method of making transport routes between biomes on the same body)

These resources can then be collected from output nodes that can be installed on in-simulation bases, and will provide a continuous supply of that resource so long as it is assigned to the output node.

Also, as this is a continuous supply, there is a limit on what can be harvested from each biome.  Last I checked I think it was similar to 1 unit per percentage point of the resource concentration in that biome.

Bases can also be set up in Kerbin biomes, and that seems to be a good approach for starting out as on-kerbin bases start with both power and supplies production, instead of just power which is what you get off-kerbin.  (I think the plan is that Kerbin cannot produce rare metals or exotic minerals, but Kerbin's oceans are a great source of water for Mun bases).

That seems like a really handy system, that will get rid of a lot of headache. Especially the fun thing that happens to me sometimes where I go to a base I haven't loaded in a while, supplies drop to zero, all the kerbals die, and then the supplies fill back up again. I turned of kerbal death after that happened a couple times. XD

Salut à tous,

J'ai le même problème avec "lightglobe", donc, comme l'explique Terwin, je supprime les fichiers "lightglobe" dans MKS / PARTS et MKS / Asset.

Maintenant c'est la même chose avec "Tundra_PDU" .... donc je supprime le "Tundra_PDU.cfg" et maintenant le jeu fonctionne.

Mais pouvez-vous me dire quel genre de fonctionnalité ou de pièces je perd sans "Tundra_PDU".

Excusez mon mauvais anglais et merci de me lire.

NB: KSP 1.10.1

Edited by Fulcrum

18 minutes ago, Fulcrum said:

Salut à tous,

J'ai le même problème avec "lightglobe", donc, comme l'explique Terwin, je supprime les fichiers "lightglobe" dans MKS / PARTS et MKS / Asset.

Maintenant c'est la même chose avec "Tundra_PDU" .... donc je supprime le "Tundra_PDU.cfg" et maintenant le jeu fonctionne.

Mais pouvez-vous me dire quel genre de fonctionnalité ou de pièces je perd sans "Tundra_PDU".

Excusez mon mauvais anglais et merci de me lire.

NB: KSP 1.10.1

Hi fulcum, the PDU is for Power Distribution Unit IIRC, so when disable, you loose the possibility to dispactch energy within your base.

Try to use google translate, cause this forum is mainly english :)

French version : PDU c'est pour la distribution d'energie. A priori si tu desactives ça, tu perds la possibilité de distribuer l'electricité sur les modules de ta base.

Essaye d'utiliser google trad pour tes messages.

Edited by LTQ90

On 18/09/2020 at 15:03, LTQ90 said:

Salut fulcum, le PDU est destiné à l'unité de distribution d'alimentation IIRC, donc lorsqu'il est désactivé, vous perdez la possibilité de distribuer de l'énergie dans votre base.

Essayez d'utiliser google translate, car ce forum est principalement en anglais :)

Version française : PDU c'est pour la distribution d'énergie. A priori si tu desactives ça, tu perds la possibilité de distribuer l'électricité sur les modules de ta base.

Essaye d'utiliser google trad pour tes messages.

Thank you LTQ90 for your help.

Hi! I'm personally pretty far along in my KSRSS 2.5 scale USI-MKS career and I'm getting ready to build my self sustaining and vessel building permanent lunar colony in the Aitken Basin. Anyway, during my planning I noticed that I seem to be missing both the Tundra Agriculture Support module and the Tundra recycling module. This is very unfortunate because without the support unit, I cannot produce Water from the Hydrates, making self sufficiency impossible. The files for both parts are still there and there does not seem to be any errors, but the two parts are not in the list and I have the required tech nodes long since unlocked. I would really appreciate a solution to this problem, thank you! (PS: Tried reinstalling MKS, same problem. Playing on 1.8.1 with the correct version and have not had any issues besides the absence of these two critical parts.) EDIT: Actually, turns out my game is also missing the Tundra Industrial Refinery, Regolith Sifter, and Nuclear Fuel Plant, as well as the DIY Kit part.  W H A T - :confused:

Edited by BadModder54

9 hours ago, RoverDude said:

hmmm....  I am at a loss on that one.  Can you do a clean install in a different directory and see if they appear with no other mods present?  

Ok, so when placing it in a separate install, the "missing parts" are in the Manufacturing tab, but not in the main USI section. Does that make sense? I'm just wondering if that's true for my main install since I never looked in that particular tab. I'll check and let you know.

o k ,  its missing completely on my modded install. I have the community tech tree installed, and all the dependencies are the correct version. It is possible that I've simply not unlocked them yet, although I cannot see where they could be. Here's my KSP log file anyway, any errors or noticable conflicts? 

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kghylxc4c43cim/KSP.log?dl=0

Edited by BadModder54