[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Just now, Parmenio said:

One of the few problems I have now is that non-MKS modules will not pull resources...have a fuel refinery structure with ISRU's that won't pull ore (although I might be able to trick it into doing so using a Tundra Ag Support module attached...or just attached a PL module).

Also, @RoverDude, don't seem able to transfer machinery via local logistics...not sure if this is a bug, a deliberate choice by you, or something wrong in my setup.

Machinery is deliberately omitted IIRC, because auto-transfer of it can lead to bad things, like your base's production shutting down.

2 minutes ago, Parmenio said:

One of the few problems I have now is that non-MKS modules will not pull resources...have a fuel refinery structure with ISRU's that won't pull ore (although I might be able to trick it into doing so using a Tundra Ag Support module attached...or just attached a PL module).

Also, @RoverDude, don't seem able to transfer machinery via local logistics...not sure if this is a bug, a deliberate choice by you, or something wrong in my setup. 

I think MKS Logistics only interfaces with containers that have the ModuleWarehouse tag so if you want to move ore around then put in a kontainer or similar (but don't quote me). As for the machinery, as @DStaal said, the immovable nature is intentional. If you want to refill your modules with machinery, you will have to have a kontainer of it nearby and 'Perform Maintenance' on the part on EVA with an engineer (unless you have a workshop that does it automatically).

2 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I think MKS Logistics only interfaces with containers that have the ModuleWarehouse tag so if you want to move ore around then put in a kontainer or similar (but don't quote me). As for the machinery, as @DStaal said, the immovable nature is intentional. If you want to refill your modules with machinery, you will have to have a kontainer of it nearby and 'Perform Maintenance' on the part on EVA with an engineer (unless you have a workshop that does it automatically).

Okay, thanks, guys. Will try that tonight, have a couple things that I didn't send with machinery and hadn't figured out how to fill them yet. 

I believe you can transfer Machinery via traditional methods as well - it's just not auto-transferred by logistics, because that would cause issues.  'Perform Maintenance' will auto-transfer it to where it's needed for use, but you need traditional methods to do things like transfer it to a container in a ship next to your ground production facility, for launching to your orbital facilities.

(This is unlike EnrichedUranium which *requires* a Kerbal on EVA.)

How can I replenish machinery and enriched uranium in disconnected bases

Over time moving parts will begin to break down and even the PDU will start to run out of fuel. New machinery and enriched uranium can be shipped from Kerbin or can be made on site with the Fabrication module and the Nuclear Processor respectively. If the base is disconnected, the items can't be installed by the pilot manning the logistics rover. An engineer will have to EVA to the module in need of maintenance. Right click on the part and choose perform maintenance and machinery (or enriched uranium) will be pulled from storage in range and added to the part.

1 hour ago, Caithloki said:

Don't know if the place to ask this question to you @RoverDude, but I was wondering how does the inflatable tanks work? I am trying to create something similar with my Resources in a Can mod and cannot fathom how the resources storage would work. Is it a module that is allow the tank to expand its storage or is it something that can be done with just stock? If this isn't a good spot to ask this no worries just say so and I will remove this post.

I believe it's managed by USIAnimation and not stock.

1 hour ago, fenderzilla said:

Having trouble with the OKS Orbital Shipyard. I've fully stocked it with kerbals, and I can open the EP Launchpads GUI and select a craft, but when I press "build", the Kerbal Alarm Clock alert pops up immediately, and the shipyard's build percentage is stuck at 0%. I have enough MaterialKits and Specialized Parts. I have EP Launchpads installed. I have tried reinstalling EP Launcpads and MKS, to no avail. The annoying thing is, I got it to work once in the past and I have no idea how. The only thing that seems to work is uninstalling all my mods and carefully reinstalling them one by one.

What is your vessel productivity? If it's below 0 then it won't build.

36 minutes ago, Parmenio said:

As others have pointed out it is by design. You can also have your modules auto fill without going eva and performing maintance by having a crewed inflatable workshop around.

36 minutes ago, Parmenio said:

You could add in the module 

MODULE
    {
        name = USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse
    }

using MM to add the warehouse function to any storage container.

30 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

You can still transfer by normal means if the bases are connected. 

Loving the node-wrangling mini-game(had one appear inside the rim of a near-by crater, not only could I not get the node out, but I had to use RCS as thrusters to get my collection rover out of the crater).

Warning: Be careful of node wrangling for established bases with ample supplies: I spent 2 days of play-time wrangling nodes between the ejection burn and the SOI escape of an unmanned mining out-post headed for Duna, and almost all of that was spent collecting and harvesting nodes for a base that already had hundreds of thousands of units of excess raw resources in planetary storage.  Save it for bases that actually need the resources!

I finally cut it out when I realized that it was either that, or KSP 1.3 would arrive before my outpost did...

Also @dboi88 I tested the base with everything turned off, and it still slideshows at 3fps and 1/2 speed, so it isn't that. A nearby tiny probe rover gets 15fps and an also nearby (2km) medium-size manned mining outpost gets 7fps, increasing dramatically when moved out of physics range of the main base but crashing further when coming into local logistics range of the main base. Another, slightly smaller mining outpost on a faraway flat gets a beautiful 50fps. If it was the various environmental mods causing the lag, it would be experienced in a universally constant fashion-the differences between your base and mine is that mine is about half the size of yours, comprised entirely of wheeled (for manoeuvring during installation and absorbing physhop forces) Tundra modules and contains several large NFS solar arrays.

I also tested it with the barebones minimum of mods needed to load the save, but it still ran at the same speed. Could you test the save with the Full ComplementTM (listed below) and see if it lags for you as much as it does for me?

Spoiler

USITools

Firespitter

USI (ART, ExpPack, FTT, FX, Karibou, Konstruction, Kontainers, USI-LS, MKS, ReactorPack, SrvPack, Malemute)

B9PartSwitch

Environmental Visual Enhancements (inc. BoulderCo)

CCK/CRP

Contract Configurator

Contract Packs (CleverSat, Kerbin Space Station)

OPM

CTTP

Kopernicus

CustomBarnKit

FP_DPSoundFX

KIS/KAS

HyperEdit

KRnD

KronalUtils

KSPRescuePodFix

MechJeb

MemGraph

ModularFlightIntegrator

Module Manager

Near Future Solar

PlanetShine

RealisticAtmospheres

ReentryParticleEffect

SigmaBinary

Strategia

1 hour ago, dboi88 said:

You could add in the module 

MODULE
    {
        name = USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse
    }

using MM to add the warehouse function to any storage container.

I would classify that as very cheesy....and I love it. Although even better might be to just do that to the ISRU module. 

2 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Wouldn't work as there's nothing 'in' it to use.

Could you technically give it a small storage capacity so it can pull resources into it? Say like 100 (insert resource to convert here), or would you need to add an internal storage for the produced resource as well?

6 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Wouldn't work as there's nothing 'in' it to use.

Something must be telling a MKS manufacturing module to pull resources, correct? Even if it doesn't have internal storage for those resources. Or am I missing some understanding of how this works? 

Just now, Parmenio said:

Something must be telling a MKS manufacturing module to pull resources, correct? Even if it doesn't have internal storage for those resources. Or am I missing some understanding of how this works? 

Could be a hidden internal storage, as in you cannot see it in the menu maybe but it does exist like replacement parts (if they are still like that)?

3 minutes ago, Caithloki said:

Could be a hidden internal storage, as in you cannot see it in the menu maybe but it does exist like replacement parts (if they are still like that)?

I'll tinker around with the config files tonight and hopefully not break anything. 

30 minutes ago, Parmenio said:

Yes there is something already telling the IRSU and all converters to initiate pull requests into available storage. But the module  USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse  is what allows something with storage to engage in logistics and so without resources in the part you'd need to add some storage. But then you'd need at least 6 hours worth of storage onboard the IRSU to be able to keep up with the catch up mechanics and that would be an unrealistic amount to pretend to fit inside the machine.

29 minutes ago, Caithloki said:

No it doesn't work like that for logistics.

But to be clear it absolutely would work to add ore storage and USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse to an IRSU and then not need any other ore tanks onboard. But it wouldn't work effectively.

26 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

@dboi88 Strange. I wouldn't classify 16GB of RAM (on 64bit KSP) as a potato.

Nor would i, just a bit of light ribbing based on your early comments. My pc only has 8 gig of ram and is about 6 years old so i've no idea what might cause your issues but it's certainly something specific to your pc and setup and not KSP or any mods.

Edited by dboi88

7 hours ago, Parmenio said:

What I put at every base is a resource tower, which is a Duna Logistics, Pioneer, and Colonization module stack with ISMs connected, set to the 11 possible configurations. With a quartermaster, this gives me storage and control over almost every resource in the game, both push and pull. I then simply abuse the crap out of planetary logistics. Everything extra gets pushed to the tower. In Minecraft terms, this is like having an ender chest at every base. 

If you know ahead of time what you are going to consume/produce at a base, you can tailor the resource tower to only hold those resources, or just turn off/collapse those ISMs that aren't needed. 

Can you send a pic (or a couple) of this setup? Thanks for the advice

1 hour ago, Parmenio said:

I would classify that as very cheesy....and I love it. Although even better might be to just do that to the ISRU module. 

I wouldn't call it cheesy, considering every single USI/MKS storage part has the warehouse module, including those tiny little radial lunchboxes. The absence of the warehouse module from non-MKS storage seems like a question of practicality and origin, not balance.

You might, however, want to restrict it to just ore, or ore and LF/O/MP.

38 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Can you send a pic (or a couple) of this setup? Thanks for the advice

Q7RW2rF.pngArBYUag.png

I put some structures between the modules to prevent clipping. May not matter, but looks better that way, I think. Thinking about redesigning this with a power distribution module and maybe some solar panels at the top.