[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

The giving the storage in the part itself doesn't make sense - as the whole point is that they are *collapsed* and not taking up the whole volume they enclose, so saying they should still hold the materials that would be in that enclosed volume is a bit non-sensical: It doesn't have that volume yet.

I wonder if it'd be feasible to decouple the "inflation" step from the "kitting out with MK" step.  Instead of having to keep the part collapsed until all the required MaterialKits are available, there could be an intermediate stage where it's physically expanded to full size, but not usable until you've fed enough MK into it.  In this state, the right-click menu could have a button that consumes MK and increases the part's mass — this could be done multiple times with smaller quantities, instead of all at once.  When the required amount of MK has been put into it, the part becomes usable.

(Edit: Or, going with the original suggestion, it could just have plain MK storage capacity in the intermediate stage, that you have to fill using normal resource transfers.  Since it's been physically inflated, it makes sense for it to be able to store the MaterialKits that will later be "installed" in the same space.)

Edited by Wyzard

17 minutes ago, Baladain said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xqtpl7z7ln3hzc/persistent.sfs?dl=0

It's the minmus build that has the problem.

Well, it's not happening to me in your save. The chems stay very firmly put when switching vessels.

I did run into a bug of my own though-the MKS applet has disappeared completely.

7 hours ago, DStaal said:

The giving the storage in the part itself doesn't make sense - as the whole point is that they are *collapsed* and not taking up the whole volume they enclose, so saying they should still hold the materials that would be in that enclosed volume is a bit non-sensical: It doesn't have that volume yet.

What I mean was basically what Wyzard said. Inflate it and add MK storage, then produce MK that are stored inside until it's full, and finally complete the process.

53 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

(Edit: Or, going with the original suggestion, it could just have plain MK storage capacity in the intermediate stage, that you have to fill using normal resource transfers.  Since it's been physically inflated, it makes sense for it to be able to store the MaterialKits that will later be "installed" in the same space.)

Although it could also work like the ISMs, have a small amount of MK storage while deflated, then inflate it to get the full MK storage required to kit it out, and when that's full, use the MK and remove the storage.

This would also work on orbital bases where planetary logistics aren't available (if it ever becomes possible to pull MK from there for the kitting out).

8 hours ago, DStaal said:

I'm not sold on the overall idea, but onboard storage could work like the inflatable LFO tanks, expanding as the storage is filled.

I don't think it's so bad to occasionally have to ship around resources. Planetary logistics can abstract the details of a planetary shipping network, but building and using local cargo ships sometimes is interesting too. Of course that motivation doesn't need to be inflatables. It would be nice if routine mission manager worked away from Kerbin.

I don't have access to any parts capable of making MaterialKits or SpecializedParts and I think it's a bug or a mod conflic, and I'm hoping someone can help me fix it. Apparently Ranger_Workshop (Inflatable Workshop) should be able to make MaterialKits, but it's not loaded in my game. The config says it should be in the advanced construction tech node, which I've unlocked, and I don't see it there. I found a possibly relevant error in the KSP log.

[LOG 16:18:15.163] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Ranger_Workshop/Ranger_Workshop'
[ERR 16:18:15.169] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleConnectedLivingSpace'

But as far as I understand, that shouldn't prevent the part from showing up, only prevent it from having that particular module. I didn't delete the part and I didn't install any mods that say they would hide it.

Any ideas? Should I look in some other logs?

I have EL installed because there don't appear to be any good alternatives at the moment. I've read that EL changes things about MKS, but I don't know what, because all the wiki pages about that are apparently gone.

3 minutes ago, nhnifong said:

I don't have access to any parts capable of making MaterialKits or SpecializedParts and I think it's a bug or a mod conflic, and I'm hoping someone can help me fix it. Apparently Ranger_Workshop (Inflatable Workshop) should be able to make MaterialKits, but it's not loaded in my game. The config says it should be in the advanced construction tech node, which I've unlocked, and I don't see it there. I found a possibly relevant error in the KSP log.

[LOG 16:18:15.163] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Ranger_Workshop/Ranger_Workshop'
[ERR 16:18:15.169] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'ModuleConnectedLivingSpace'

But as far as I understand, that shouldn't prevent the part from showing up, only prevent it from having that particular module. I didn't delete the part and I didn't install any mods that say they would hide it.

Any ideas? Should I look in some other logs?

I have EL installed because there don't appear to be any good alternatives at the moment. I've read that EL changes things about MKS, but I don't know what, because all the wiki pages about that are apparently gone.

That error is harmless. Please post a link to your full log. Also, make sure you have the latest version of CommunityCategoryKit.

What does this part mean?

[LOG 20:23:48.688] [ModuleManager] Deleting Node in file UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/OSE subnode: @PART[Ranger_Workshop]:NEEDS[Workshop] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

It's dropping the OSE support due to OSE not being installed? Would that prevent the part from loading?

6 hours ago, nhnifong said:

My Community Category Kit version is 1.2.2.0 Which CKAN thinks is the newest (by refreshing it)

Stuff CKAN, install it manually. Just copy over the contents of the GameData folder you can install from GH/SD into your gamedata.

4 hours ago, nhnifong said:

What does this part mean?

[LOG 20:23:48.688] [ModuleManager] Deleting Node in file UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/OSE subnode: @PART[Ranger_Workshop]:NEEDS[Workshop] as it can't satisfy its NEEDS

It's dropping the OSE support due to OSE not being installed? Would that prevent the part from loading?

It's perfectly harmless, no actual changes would be made to the file. It's just not loading the patch for want of OSE.

15 hours ago, Baladain said:

I'm trying to identify a problem with my chemicals manufacturing chain.

4873 minerals are being turned into 974 chemicals per day, giving me a net chemicals gain of .01/second after base consumption is being taken into account.

There are more than 90K minerals in planetary logistics.

I have 26K worth of warehouse enabled minerals storage on base (over three kontainers) (should be enough for 5 days)

Running in time warp, there is a slow and steady build up of chemicals, but every time I go back to my base from other actions, my chemical storage is back at 0.

my mining base is gaining 7k chemicals/day and has 8k warehouse enabled storage.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Yep. Happens to me all of the time.

I believe the catch up processing thinks it's running out of something during the six hour periods.   I have a few theories, but my best guess is that it may have to do with using multiple tanks. Chemicals and Silicon are the two largest volume things that get consumed. From a vessel perspective, it looks like you have space. But Warehousing is on a per tank basis.  If you use multiple tanks, my guess is that catch up processing doesn't consider all of the available space correctly in the calculations. When I switched to larger, single tanks, the problem did seem to go away.

On 21/05/2017 at 2:33 AM, KriLL3 said:

Sure, but I need a tank for those material kits larger than the volume of the thing I'm inflating, it's a bit excessive imo.

I checked, because that would be a bit excessive, but you don't. A 3.75m container will do it (with 8000 Material Kits left over) and that is clearly considerably smaller than the volume of the inflated ring.

7 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Stuff CKAN, install it manually. Just copy over the contents of the GameData folder you can install from GH/SD into your gamedata.

I tried that, but it's completely identical.

Inflatable Workshop shows up in sandbox mod but not carreer mode it seems. (at least I can't find it in Andvanced Construction in R&D, or in the Manufacturing category, or by search)

Do you know of any other reasons why something shows up in sandbox and not carreer?

3 minutes ago, nhnifong said:

I tried that, but it's completely identical.

Inflatable Workshop shows up in sandbox mod but not carreer mode it seems. (at least I can't find it in Andvanced Construction in R&D, or in the Manufacturing category, or by search)

Do you know of any other reasons why something shows up in sandbox and not carreer?

The other thing I can think of would be if you installed a tech tree mod - especially if you installed or removed it after you started the career.  CTT is usually safe from this type of stuff, but it's at least messing with the same things.

Hello, I have being using USI MKS since I got the game. But now I'm playing a RO/RSS/RP-0 save. And I just want to know if I can use the mod without any issues or is there a patch somewhere? I know that probably all the parts would bee non RO RP-0 but I don't care for that. I really love the functions and parts of this mod!! :wink: If someone knows something, Thank You!!

33 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The other thing I can think of would be if you installed a tech tree mod - especially if you installed or removed it after you started the career.  CTT is usually safe from this type of stuff, but it's at least messing with the same things.

I suspected CTT recently as well, It was in my save from the start, but MKS was recently added. I can confirm that without CTT, the workshop does appear! But how can I continue my current game without the tech tree? Perhaps uninstalling both and then putting them back in the reverse order somehow helps, or maybe there are some CTT configs to be deleted and restored.

10 minutes ago, nhnifong said:

I suspected CTT recently as well, It was in my save from the start, but MKS was recently added. I can confirm that without CTT, the workshop does appear! But how can I continue my current game without the tech tree? Perhaps uninstalling both and then putting them back in the reverse order somehow helps, or maybe there are some CTT configs to be deleted and restored.

The CTT patch places both workshops under the Nanolathing tech, not Adv. Construction. Have you researched that?

Edited by voicey99

26 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The CTT patch places both workshops under the Nanolathing tech, not Adv. Construction. Have you researched that?

WHA!? Could it really be that simple! No I have not researched that yet. Damn If only I had tried that before I went to work. >_<

Heya,  I can't currently repaint Kontainers, either in VAB or out on EVA with an engineer.

Anyone also have the same problem?  I assume it's a mod conflict of some kind - I'm running latest everything.  Here's the mod list:

* USI constellation including life support

* PlanetaryBases

* NearFuture*

* Stock Extensions (SXT)

* Extra Planetary Launchpads

* UnmannedBeforeManned (Community Tech Tree)

* Planetary Domes

* KIS

* KAS

Any ideas?

Edit:  Fixed it, a complete reinstall of MKS sorted it out, yay!

Edited by bigcalm

57 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

I'm pretty new to Kerbal. Is this something I should install in a new game, or should I be more familiar with the game before I play with something like this? 

i suppose its up to you now this mod is probably the most complex and deep mod available for kerbal so its not easy(at first) for most people but at the same time its probably the most rewarding ,i would also suggest looking at roverdudes other mods because ....well roverdude is ksp's modding god and all his mods are awesome

if you do go with it and find yourself stuck/confused theres usually plenty of people on this forum willing to help

Edited by BrutalRIP

47 minutes ago, strudo76 said:

I'm pretty new to Kerbal. Is this something I should install in a new game, or should I be more familiar with the game before I play with something like this? 

MKS has a very steep learning curve and can be dauntingly complex to new players (such is KSP in general :rolleyes:), and it would probably be a good idea to be experienced in the vanilla game and mechanics before you Leeroy into something as huge as MKS. I'm at 2K hours of KSP time and even then there's things I still occasionally get wrong with it.

2 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Up to you.  It was one of the first mods I installed, so I can definitely say a newbie to the game can handle it if they want.

1 hour ago, BrutalRIP said:

i suppose its up to you now this mod is probably the most complex and deep mod available for kerbal so its not easy(at first) for most people but at the same time its probably the most rewarding ,i would also suggest looking at roverdudes other mods because ....well roverdude is ksp's modding god and all his mods are awesome

if you do go with it and find yourself stuck/confused theres usually plenty of people on this forum willing to help

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

MKS has a very steep learning curve and can be dauntingly complex to new players (such is KSP in general :rolleyes:), and it would probably be a good idea to be experienced in the vanilla game and mechanics before you Leeroy into something as huge as MKS. I'm at 2K hours of KSP time and even then there's things I still occasionally get wrong with it.

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Up to you.  It was one of the first mods I installed, so I can definitely say a newbie to the game can handle it if they want.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably give it a crack. I've played enough that I can get around the kerbin system pretty well. I tend to play pretty slow, taking my time to do things properly rather than just launching some leviathan. Generally play career or science mode, so I'll come across the parts gradually I assume. My pc probably won't be rebuilt untill Friday, so I have some thinking and reading time too. (thanks power supply)

I've been mucking about with TAC llife support. Would the USI one be a better match for this? Not sure yet if the ssd survived the PSU issue, so I might be reinstallling anyway.

Just now, strudo76 said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably give it a crack. I've played enough that I can get around the kerbin system pretty well. I tend to play pretty slow, taking my time to do things properly rather than just launching some leviathan. Generally play career or science mode, so I'll come across the parts gradually I assume. My pc probably won't be rebuilt until Friday, so I have some thinking and reading time too. (thanks power supply)

I've been mucking about with TAC life support. Would the USI one be a better match for this? Not sure yet if the ssd survived the PSU issue, so I might be reinstalling anyway.

If you feel confident doing most things in KSP, then go for it. Just ask if you need something explained. USI-LS is, naturally, a much better fit for MKS than TAC-LS, but both would work (since there is a semi-reliable TAC patch). Some of the modules (namely, the habitation-related ones (habring and kerbitats)) and attached supply chain (for colony supplies) have no use in TAC-LS, though.

Also, is your L key sticky or something?