[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

4 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Where are these new parts I did not find them

You likely installed wrong. From the zip file make sure you copy the contents of gamedata into your gamedata. Make sure you don't have a situation where it looks like gamedata\gamedata\...

If unsure post a picture of your gamedata folder

On 1/6/2017 at 3:05 PM, RoverDude said:

Part disassembly and recycling

Hi all, new one here :lol:

I am a bit lost with this functionality. i have have equipped my station with different kontainers trying to recover the material kits after disassembling my boosters, but until now I have got nothing. Can anybody explain how this works?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Tacombel said:

I am a bit lost with this functionality. i have have equipped my station with different kontainers trying to recover the material kits after disassembling my boosters, but until now I have got nothing. Can anybody explain how this works?

It should work if you disassemble the parts close enough (I'm not sure how close, might be 150 m?) to a MaterialKits kontainer with enough free storage room. You should get a notification if it has been restored or thrown away due to missing storage.

2 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

It should work if you disassemble the parts close enough (I'm not sure how close, might be 150 m?) to a MaterialKits kontainer with enough free storage room. You should get a notification if it has been restored or thrown away due to missing storage.

Thx, solved. I was using a PPD logistics module, instead of a Kontainer. Working now.

On 8/21/2018 at 5:09 AM, Requia said:

A bootstrapping base already on the Mun.  I went and did some more testing (I'm unhooking to go get more substrate anyway) until I broke it, and it seems that when I have both the engineer and the miner in the rover there's no manned bonus, but if I have one in each the manned bonus stays the same (less the loss of the radiator on the rover).  So I will need on miner per drill rig, but they'll benefit all rigs.

More worryingly is the stuff that came up about remote power while I was away.  Half the reason I'm doing this is the terrible thermals caused by hooking the reactor to the drill rig.:huh:

Just for my curiousity, did the mining rig have a probe core on it ?

7 hours ago, invultri said:

Just for my curiousity, did the mining rig have a probe core on it ?

Hmm, yes actually.  I've got a container stuck to one from an earlier delivery drone so it hasn't been dismantled.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:21 AM, Johould said:

Edit: Alumina+Monazzite make up 2/5th of the non-dirt resource abundance on my Mun. No wonder sifting for gypsum for life support isn't going as well as expected. I hope I can remove those resources. 

Did you figure out a fix for this?

And how did you even check, I can see on maps that I have those two resources, but I can't find any global average tool.

Edit: moving Alumina.cfg and the config for the resource that must not be named out of the CRP folder seems to have worked. I honestly did not expect that when I tried it.

Edited by Requia

20 minutes ago, Requia said:

And how did you even check, I can see on maps that I have those two resources, but I can't find any global average tool.

I think the global average is what's shown on the planet's resources toolbar button in the tracking station or map view — the thing with the list of resources that you can click to get the purple overlay on the planet itself.  That list has a percentage displayed after each resource's name.

Alternatively, what's the best way to set up nearby (<2km) mining bases.  The main base automatically pulls substrate when I head out

5 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

I think the global average is what's shown on the planet's resources toolbar button in the tracking station or map view — the thing with the list of resources that you can click to get the purple overlay on the planet itself.  That list has a percentage displayed after each resource's name.

Hmm, using scansat resource scanning breaks that then, cause it was the first thing I checked.  I'll ask on that thread.

Alternatively, lets say I skip sifting, I've got every resource within 2km.  But when I rover out there I lose the mutual hab bonuses.  Is there some way to get logistics to work that far out without a pilot?

Or I guess I could *just* send the pilot, since they have much longer hab times, and use A drills anyway...

On 5/17/2018 at 5:19 AM, psamathe said:

Hi,

I've been having some issues with heat on MKS drills with multiple separators. Basically if I start a second separator the drill begins to overheat, irrespective of how much cooling I have. I can start additional drills with no issue as long as I only ever start one of the separators on each drill.

I'm on KSP 1.4.3, using MKS 0.55 from CKAN. I'm using a number of other mods as well (several of the USI ones, Near Future stuff, some planet packs, plus more)

To reproduce (for me anyway):

• I start with a Duna Power unit, add some dirt storage (I'm using a ranger unit), a ranger thermal control system, as well as two MEU-500A pulse drills (left as default dirt).
  • Then launch, start the cooling, start the reactor, and deploy both drills. On the first drill I start one separator, and I see temperature stabilise at 500K. If I then start a second separator on that same drill it starts to overheat.
  • If I now start the first separator on the second drill it will stabilise on 500K.
  • When I switch off the second separator on the first drill, it will gradually drop back down to 500K. Both drills will run quite happily provided I never start a second separator.

I've tried adding (a lot) more cooling but it doesn't seem to help. Is this a bug or am I doing something dumb?

So I tracked this down.  The required cooling and the max cooling for the drills is the same value.  Change the MaxCoolant value in the config for the drill to fix it.  Or to change it maybe, I'm not sure if it's intended behavior or not.

On 8/26/2018 at 5:10 AM, Requia said:

So I tracked this down.  The required cooling and the max cooling for the drills is the same value.  Change the MaxCoolant value in the config for the drill to fix it.  Or to change it maybe, I'm not sure if it's intended behavior or not.

It is intended behavior.

On 8/14/2018 at 11:56 PM, Johould said:

I see there are not explicit install instructions here, but you shouldn't do anything besides downloading the latest release from the links in the first post in this thread, and putting all the folders under GameData/ in the zip file into your KSP installation's GameData folder.

From a fresh KSP that should give you everything from MKS, except the DIY kit is known to be broken. I haven't ever tried MKS without USI-LS, but it's supposed to work - and you should at least see the parts that don't have any life support functionality. (To have a nice game you probably want to install at least USI-LS, KAS+KIS, and the Ground Construction 2 beta).

Please include logs if you still don't see the parts or the MKS categories in the VAB. (If are searching for parts by name just typing Tundra won't work, you should search for MKS or for 'Tundra' with the quotes).

After some tweaking, looking at the game files, and being a bit more careful I got it to work. Thank you a lot for your help, and sorry for the late response.

So I'm trying to get metals to see what resources I can produce, however, I can't seem to do my final step of turning metallic ore into metals. I have storage for metals, metallic ore (which I have already harvested), and I am using a Smelt-o-Matic which is set to [Smelter]=>Metal. I have plenty of electric charge and my smelter is turned on. Does anyone have any ideas? (I have a screenshot if necessary but don't know how to insert it here).

1 hour ago, Sage Percival said:

So I'm trying to get metals to see what resources I can produce, however, I can't seem to do my final step of turning metallic ore into metals. I have storage for metals, metallic ore (which I have already harvested), and I am using a Smelt-o-Matic which is set to [Smelter]=>Metal. I have plenty of electric charge and my smelter is turned on. Does anyone have any ideas? (I have a screenshot if necessary but don't know how to insert it here).

[Smelter]-->Metals means that it'll change to metals (either by clicking the button next to it in the VAB or on EVA, with some material kits and specialized parts in active logistics containers), not that it's on metals.  You need it to be Metals-->whatever

2 hours ago, Sage Percival said:

I am using a Smelt-o-Matic which is set to [Smelter]=>Metal.

A lot of people misunderstand the meaning of that at first.  "[Smelter]=>Metals" means it's currently configured as a [Smelter], which doesn't produce anything by itself.  (It provides efficiency bonuses to other parts in that mode.)  But if you click the button, it'll change to being configured for Metals production.

Relatedly, the "Prev Config" and "Next Config" buttons don't directly change what the part produces.  They change what the part will change to when you click the button with the arrow.  "Chemicals=>Metals" means it currently produces Chemicals, but it'll produce Metals when you click the button.  "Chemicals=>Polymers" means it currently produces Chemicals, but it'll produce Polymers when you click the button.

The reason for this confusing two-step configuration is because outside the VAB, changing modes is not free: it costs a small amount of MaterialKits and SpecializedParts.  It would be wasteful if you had to cycle through several modes (paying the cost each time) to get to the one you want.  Instead, you use the "Prev Config" and "Next Config" buttons to choose the mode you want to switch to, then click the button on the arrow line to switch directly to your chosen mode and pay the reconfiguration cost just once.

Edited by Wyzard

I've got a problem where if I fast forward for any length of time after returning to the base single pieces have fallen off the base modules or else a large number of pieces are gone.  I've tried WorldStabilizer and KJR (both alone and together) to no effect.

It's different every time I try but the big giant piece of krakenbait that's tether to a rover via KAS is oddly the one thing that's actually stable.

https://imgur.com/a/jI5Ki0P

@RoverDude I'm using USI-MKS everything seems to work accept the Agriculture Support Module where water is concerned the water says it's full but I have plenty of water tankage. I have the ranger inflatable storage unit 01 and a 2.5M Kontainer Tank (water) both are empty. I have tried both Hydrates and Ore with the same result. So I think I found a bug. Is this enough information to look into it or please tell me what you need.

Thanks in advance

tman70506 on twitch

Theron Lutz

UpDate: Okay I think have the problem solved for me at least I was running all your Mods at the same time. I dropped it down to just MKS and its parts, Malemute,  FireSpitter , Life Support, Exploration and Konstruction so theres a conflict some where my best guess it is in Freight.

Thanks for you time.

Edited by tman70506
New in formation

Hi all

Quick random question. Is the distance from a part at which the "disassemble part" option appears on the right click menu, configurable?

I have some big boosters that took the engines up for my latest BFS (big... ship) and I'd rather have the material kits than destroy them, but I can't because I cannot get close enough to the centre point of the part (10m radius)

Thanks!

Phoenix

7 hours ago, sordidPhoenix said:

Quick random question. Is the distance from a part at which the "disassemble part" option appears on the right click menu, configurable?

There isn't an in-game setting or explicit settings file. I think adding an "EVARange" field to the USI_ModuleRecycleablePart will override the default instance. That menu option is added to all parts by the MM patch MKS/Patches/ScrapParts.cfg, you could edit that or have a second patch run later.

Without editing files, the only option for easier disassembly is to bring along the "Demolition Charge", which can destroy just the part it's attached to, or the whole vessel (can be added with KAS/KIS). Using the demolition charge should also give you a choice to "Recycle" the affected parts for MKTs in the same amount as the "disassemble part" option, or "Demolish" for a larger mass of Recyclables.

Edited by Johould

To follow up on the idea that the meu-500 drill can only run one separator without overheating,

is this a re-balance so the 500 isn't essentially the equivalent of 9 100s?

Now the three separators are only there in case you want to switch back and forth?

Edited by Baladain