[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

IntakeATM engines not working

Update:

Finally added all my mods back in, and the problem has reappeared.

I at least now know the mod responsible:
Kerbal Research and Development.

I have not used KR&D to upgrade any of the parts that have stopped working, but KR&D seems to break them all anyway.

I am about to log a bug report in the above thread. But in case anyone else has this problem:~
KR&D seems to break most engines that require the resource "IntakeATM" even if you have not tried to upgrade that part.

Edited by Remi

I'm using KRnD, and all is well here-well, except for the fact that (when using certain VTOL engines) MechJeb seems to REALLY hate IntakeAtm and Firespitter is spewing NREs at me. Together, they produced 30,000 lines of errors in under a minute.

Spoiler

[LOG 21:03:13.590] [MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation(): System.Exception: FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage reached max step count of 100
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage (Single throttle, Double staticPressure, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateAllStages (Single throttle, Double staticPressureKpa, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation (System.Object o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERR 21:03:13.592] Module FSplanePropellerSpinner threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Firespitter.engine.FSplanePropellerSpinner.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

...ad infinitum.

IntakeAtm is likely confusing MJ since it is a kind of pseudofuel that doesn't obey standard rules and the latter might be down to the fact that I deleted the FS parts folder to declutter the aero and engine VAB tabs.

Edited by voicey99

6 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I'm using KRnD, and all is well here (well, except for the fact that MechJeb seems to REALLY hate IntakeAtm and Firespitter is spewing errors at me).

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 21:03:13.590] [MechJeb2] Exception in MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation(): System.Exception: FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage reached max step count of 100
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateStage (Single throttle, Double staticPressure, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.FuelFlowSimulation.SimulateAllStages (Single throttle, Double staticPressureKpa, Double atmDensity, Double machNumber) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStageStats.RunSimulation (System.Object o) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[ERR 21:03:13.592] Module FSplanePropellerSpinner threw during OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Firespitter.engine.FSplanePropellerSpinner.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.ModulesOnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The latter might be down to the fact that I deleted the FS parts folder to declutter the aero and engine VAB tabs.

Hm. I've also noticed KER and Mechjeb don't seem to know what to do with IntakeATM-driven engines, which makes sense (can't exactly calculate delta-v, now can you?) but it'd be nice to get TWR and thrust torque values in the VAB.

I deleted the FS parts folder as well, as I'm very lazy and didn't feel like doing an MM patch. I've the same errors in my logs, but haven't had any bad behavior as a result, so it's probably okay.

3 hours ago, Gilph said:

Having two Ranger habs allows the 83 month extra time and the 5x multiplier, and one on each side of your station core gives a nice balance.  The non-ring Tundra inflatables have less extra time and no multiplier, iirc. Then you need the 3.75 habitats to get the multiplier stats, but it could make the station core too long. Aesthetics do suffer a bit though

By the way, the 5x multiplier is currently broken and doesnt affect anything. There is a github issue for that. So you probably don't want to use the "hab-common" option on it, until it's fixed.

Edited by sh1pman

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

The wiki is mostly up-to-date on this:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Functions-(Logistics)

I think the article doesn't mention one important point about scavenging. If some converter needs resource, that resource can only be taken from working warehouses, not just any part with this resource in storage. For example, an agroponics converter needs mulch. It can't pull mulch from nearby Ranger Hab modules, because they aren't warehouses. Even if both vessels have ISMs configured to store mulch, it won't be transferred from Hab to Ag module.

Edited by sh1pman

Hi @RoverDude i was the one talking about kolonists origionally, the problems im having is that whe you start a new playthrough you mainly get all the new colonists instead of the pilots etc. And you cant affort to use the usi system to purchase them (also when you can use it you cant tell if they where dumb but thats a side issue) i was wondering if you could still hire them through the usi window, but stop them appearing in the complex?

10 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I think the article doesn't mention one important point about scavenging. If some converter needs resource, that resource can only be taken from working warehouses, not just any part with this resource in storage. For example, an agroponics converter needs mulch. It can't pull mulch from nearby Ranger Hab modules, because they aren't warehouses. Even if both vessels have ISMs configured to store mulch, it won't be transferred from Hab to Ag module.

Oops someone forgot to upload the new Scavenging examples (it was totally me) I've fixed that now, cheers

Scavenging%201.png

Scavenging%202.png

Scavenging%203.png

Scavenging%204.png

Scavenging%205.png

Edited by dboi88

Assuming you mean a Github PR, you click the button labelled "fork"-this will clone the repo to your account. Then, open the file you want to change in your fork and click edit-when you've finished, click "commit changes". Now, go into the main MKS repo and click "New Pull Request". Now click "compare across forks" and select your fork from the dropdown, and it will bring up a list of the changes (commits) you've made. Select the relevant commit(s) and finish making the req.

Edited by voicey99

3 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Assuming you mean a Github PR, you click the button labelled "fork"-this will clone the repo to your account. Then, open the file you want to change in your fork and click edit-when you've finished, click "commit changes". Now, go into the main MKS repo and click "New Pull Request". Now click "compare across forks" and select your fork from the dropdown, and it will bring up a list of the changes (commits) you've made. Select the relevant commit(s) and finish making the req.

Actually, if you want to just make a change in one file it's even easier than that: Go to the file (RoverDude prefers you go to the file in the 'DEVELOP' branch), and click the little pencil icon near the top right.  This will automatically create a fork for you, and open that file for editing - and when you hit 'propose file change' at the bottom, it'll turn that into a pull request.

So basically: Click edit, make your changes, then click save.  :wink:

Watching the stream from 3 days ago.  I'm hoping that you do a VTOL pod like you did for the Karibou with 2-3 engines on it.  The Karibou VTOL is reasonably easy to balance because there's one thruster control slider for both engines, which means I can lower the max-thrust on one of them to balance the thrust vector under the CoM.

2 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

Watching the stream from 3 days ago.  I'm hoping that you do a VTOL pod like you did for the Karibou with 2-3 engines on it.  The Karibou VTOL is reasonably easy to balance because there's one thruster control slider for both engines, which means I can lower the max-thrust on one of them to balance the thrust vector under the CoM.

On the other hand, that same feature means that TCA has trouble controlling a Karibou, when it's otherwise the best VTOL autopilot around.  (And can automatically compensate for bad balance.)

It kinda depends, in the end: If you're manually flying it, or using MechJeb, having just the one thrust limiter is a nice convenience.  If you're using TCA, it's a fairly large inconvenience.  So, which do you optimize for?

On 1/26/2017 at 3:31 PM, RoverDude said:

Sure, but assuming they can just hire from the Kolonization dashboard, if the price for a pilot was the same as a default new hire in the AC (with a cap of 250K) that should solve the issue

(I may ping @TheReadPanda and see if I can borrow his astronaut complex code - tho my concern with anything that modifies the AC is conflicts)

@RoverDude For the record you may absolutely use any of the code you find useful from my hiring mod. Be aware there is a small glitch with 1.2.2 when you hire more than one kerbal at once that causes a small graphics flicker in the top left corner and the XP in some configs of games may not start right. But typically works fine after you load another screen or something like that. I need to update it but the core code is not horrible.

Anyway, formal permission granted! :D I look forward to seeing what you do with it if you do use it.

Wanted to check an assumption: you only accrue kolonization bonuses for kerbals sitting in mks parts, right? My scientists chillin in a lab lander on Minmus shouldn't be generating any bonuses? Because otherwise I've probably got an install issue :P Is there a specific module I can look for or some other way to identify which parts count?

I have a Resource Lode issue which I have not seen addressed anywhere.

I set up a mining base directly next to a Resource Lode on Minmus. I used KAS to put a Flex-O-Tube on my base and another on the Resource Lode. I connected them. Mining the Lode worked fine this way while the base was active.

However, after I save/quit/reload the game and switch to the mining base, the Resource Lode is gone. The physical rock-like object is not present, and the Flex-O-Tube is just floating where it was attached to the Lode.

In my persistent.sfs file, I see the Lode is treated as a DockedVessel of the Flex-o-Tube, as expected:

DOCKEDVESSEL
	{
		vesselName = Resource Lode
		vesselType = Unknown
		rootUId = 3307739756
	}

I'm guessing that the Flex-o-Tube is not the preferred method of connecting to the Lode, and that is the cause of this problem. If that is the case, could we get a bit of documentation or further explanation of proper connection methods? Is the stock grappler the only way to go? Would the grappler-like parts in IR function properly?

I'm playing a heavily modded game but I think the relevant ones are KIS and KAS, in addition to the full USI Constellation pack.

2 minutes ago, revolioclockbergjr said:

I have a Resource Lode issue which I have not seen addressed anywhere.

I set up a mining base directly next to a Resource Lode on Minmus. I used KAS to put a Flex-O-Tube on my base and another on the Resource Lode. I connected them. Mining the Lode worked fine this way while the base was active.

However, after I save/quit/reload the game and switch to the mining base, the Resource Lode is gone. The physical rock-like object is not present, and the Flex-O-Tube is just floating where it was attached to the Lode.

In my persistent.sfs file, I see the Lode is treated as a DockedVessel of the Flex-o-Tube, as expected:

DOCKEDVESSEL
	{
		vesselName = Resource Lode
		vesselType = Unknown
		rootUId = 3307739756
	}

I'm guessing that the Flex-o-Tube is not the preferred method of connecting to the Lode, and that is the cause of this problem. If that is the case, could we get a bit of documentation or further explanation of proper connection methods? Is the stock grappler the only way to go? Would the grappler-like parts in IR function properly?

I'm playing a heavily modded game but I think the relevant ones are KIS and KAS, in addition to the full USI Constellation pack.

I've been using kis connectors and flexotubes without incident.

6 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

I've been using kis connectors and flexotubes without incident.

Well, that is terrible news... guess I have to hack my save file to create a new Lode in that spot. No way I can move that base.

riqIVCH.png

edit: I could turn the base into a sandcrawler, but that'll take funds I don't have right now in my career :C And the nearest lode is 13km away

Edited by revolioclockbergjr

1 hour ago, OldSedan said:

Wanted to check an assumption: you only accrue kolonization bonuses for kerbals sitting in mks parts, right? My scientists chillin in a lab lander on Minmus shouldn't be generating any bonuses? Because otherwise I've probably got an install issue :P Is there a specific module I can look for or some other way to identify which parts count?

I'm pretty sure it's

MODULE

{

name = MKSModule

}

1 hour ago, OldSedan said:

Wanted to check an assumption: you only accrue kolonization bonuses for kerbals sitting in mks parts, right?

They don't need to be in the parts, the vessel just needs to have at least one MKS part.

On a moon of the home planet, I have bases all over the place, including some distant unmanned drillers, that do push resources to planetary logistics thanks to Duna Pioneer modules.

But I just sent such an unmanned vessel to another planet, and apparently that one does not push its stuff (actually that planet does not appear at all in the logistics panel). The other planet do not have any other vessel landed, contrary to the original moon. Is it supposed to be this way, or should I hunt for a bug ?