RoverDude

[1.8.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

Recommended Posts

Is it a bad idea to install this for an existing save? I'd like to look into this mod, but I'd rather not start from scratch, launching sounding rockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Sorry, that's a lazy copout.  The wiki is community maintained.  So what does that mean?  A bunch of "dummys" took some time, some trial and error, and testing to verify how things worked.  And then they created the wiki.  That work has been done.  There is nothing stopping you from using what information is already there, and playing around to verify that data.  From there you could even come up with starter tutorials once you have learned all the parts and how they work.

Or you could just sit around and wait for someone else to do it for you I guess.  However if you don't like trial and error, and testing and building, why are you playing KSP?

OUCH! thats hurt, but its true... no ones born's knowing everything... i'll take the lead and try to figure out how things works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, JeyJeyKing said:

Is it a bad idea to install this for an existing save? I'd like to look into this mod, but I'd rather not start from scratch, launching sounding rockets.

I would say, no, it shouldn't be a problem as MKS mostly parts.  Check the dependencies, though, and make sure you have them.  Consider using CKAN to help manage those.

Removing it mid-save is another case entirely.

3 minutes ago, santiagokof said:

i'll take the lead and try to figure out how things works.

Brave lad :P

Edited by Brigadier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JeyJeyKing said:

Is it a bad idea to install this for an existing save? I'd like to look into this mod, but I'd rather not start from scratch, launching sounding rockets.

nope, you can, just pay attention to life´s support system. Prepare some fast delivery system to provide the things that are needing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Or remember that USI-LS is actually a separate mod, and don't install it...)

MKS should cause no problem mid-save.  USI-LS - no problems if all your Kerbals are on Kerbin.  If they're out on missions, they'll probably start wanting things like supplies and living space they don't have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, santiagokof said:

OUCH! thats hurt, but its true... no ones born's knowing everything... i'll take the lead and try to figure out how things works.

yea sorry, I can often be more blunt than necessary.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First I must say the USI group of mods is easily in my top two favorite mod packs.

Though, I have to ask, why are there no storage containers for UF4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nonono said:

First I must say the USI group of mods is easily in my top two favorite mod packs.

Though, I have to ask, why are there no storage containers for UF4?

Probably because there aren't any parts of the usi model family that use UF4?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the logistics system for this mod work with the community reasource pack? All the logistics containers with the planetary warehouse module seem to have a preset list and I can't move around he3 deuterium, or antimatter. Is that a limitation of the mod or is there a way to move that I'm missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

Does the logistics system for this mod work with the community reasource pack? All the logistics containers with the planetary warehouse module seem to have a preset list and I can't move around he3 deuterium, or antimatter. Is that a limitation of the mod or is there a way to move that I'm missing?

It works with any resource that's transferrable and has storage with the modules enabled.   As nothing in the USI mods use any of those resources they don't provide parts which handle them - but there's nothing stopping you from creating an MM patch to add the modules to a part which can store them, or to add those resources to a part that has the module.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DStaal said:

creating an MM patch to add the modules to a part

Is there a list of mm patches for USI? Interstellar is a popular mod and I'd expect somebody else has stumbled through it before me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mossconfig said:

Is there a list of mm patches for USI? Interstellar is a popular mod and I'd expect somebody else has stumbled through it before me.

It would probably be better to ask over in the KSPIE thread, as that's where someone who made a patch would probably put it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Probably because there aren't any parts of the usi model family that use UF4?

The reactors do in my game. I opened my game and filtered by resource and under UF4 it has all the USI nuclear reactors. I also have KSPIE installed so dynamic configuration file on the part of USI I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, nonono said:

The reactors do in my game. I opened my game and filtered by resource and under UF4 it has all the USI nuclear reactors. I also have KSPIE installed so dynamic configuration file on the part of USI I guess?

The "dynamic" part is from KSPIE, not USI.  Stock USI-MKS does not use UF4.

Edited by Brigadier
Added clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there may be a bug with one of the parts, the "Scout" landing module has the module for a ground construction workshop, but no crew capacity, so it can't be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 1:35 PM, goldenpsp said:

Probably won't get lost as easily there than here, where that is probably guaranteed.

Things appear to get lost on the github also. I reported some graphical issues with normal maps a couple of weeks ago, and the bug hasn't gotten reviewed or assigned. :( I suppose it makes sense since this is essentially a one-man (side) project, and there is only so much time in the day.

I wonder if RoverDude felt like making the equivalent of source files for his models available on github, if that would be useful for the community fixing problems and adding improvements, or if it would just turn into a cluster...er...clusterflop.

In the case of the normal maps, they just seem to be rotated wrong, . Unless it's just my install? I suppose I ought to post screenshots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Things appear to get lost on the github also. I reported some graphical issues with normal maps a couple of weeks ago, and the bug hasn't gotten reviewed or assigned. :( I suppose it makes sense since this is essentially a one-man (side) project, and there is only so much time in the day.

There is a difference between "getting lost" and "unaddressed".  The github issue may not have been addressed in the timeframe you'd prefer, but it will remain there until it is addressed.  In this thread once the post rolls off the page it is likely gone as a needle in a haystack.

I would imagine @RoverDude has a workflow and goes to the github issues when he is ready to address bugs before the next release.

 

8 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I wonder if RoverDude felt like making the equivalent of source files for his models available on github, if that would be useful for the community fixing problems and adding improvements, or if it would just turn into a cluster...er...clusterflop.

Unless @RoverDude walks away I don't think so.  IIRC he made his models ARR due to issues in the past.  I believe he also said if he ever walked away from KSP he would release them open source.  That being said there are other people these days helping with the USI catalog of mods.  If you had the time and ability to help I'm sure you could get access to what you needed.

8 hours ago, Tokamak said:

In the case of the normal maps, they just seem to be rotated wrong, . Unless it's just my install? I suppose I ought to post screenshots.

Yes now there is a difference between posting a bug (probably best on github) and wanting to troubleshoot an issue.  If you want troubleshooting help here is better since the thread gets more traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Things appear to get lost on the github also. I reported some graphical issues with normal maps a couple of weeks ago, and the bug hasn't gotten reviewed or assigned. :( I suppose it makes sense since this is essentially a one-man (side) project, and there is only so much time in the day.

I wonder if RoverDude felt like making the equivalent of source files for his models available on github, if that would be useful for the community fixing problems and adding improvements, or if it would just turn into a cluster...er...clusterflop.

In the case of the normal maps, they just seem to be rotated wrong, . Unless it's just my install? I suppose I ought to post screenshots.

If you want to mess with the images, ping me offline - a spare set of hands on that is always appreciated.  And it's probably them being rotated wrong :)  

On 6/21/2020 at 6:45 PM, I-iz-Zed said:

I think there may be a bug with one of the parts, the "Scout" landing module has the module for a ground construction workshop, but no crew capacity, so it can't be used.

Probably related to it being made with a much older version of GC, so something I have to sort (or if someone does a PR I can just plunk it in).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

There is a difference between "getting lost" and "unaddressed".  The github issue may not have been addressed in the timeframe you'd prefer, but it will remain there until it is addressed.  In this thread once the post rolls off the page it is likely gone as a needle in a haystack.

I would imagine @RoverDude has a workflow and goes to the github issues when he is ready to address bugs before the next release.

 

Unless @RoverDude walks away I don't think so.  IIRC he made his models ARR due to issues in the past.  I believe he also said if he ever walked away from KSP he would release them open source.  That being said there are other people these days helping with the USI catalog of mods.  If you had the time and ability to help I'm sure you could get access to what you needed.

Yes now there is a difference between posting a bug (probably best on github) and wanting to troubleshoot an issue.  If you want troubleshooting help here is better since the thread gets more traffic.

My reaction to all of that is "Huh. Fair enough." :) I suppose I reflexively am used to bugs at least getting triaged fairly quickly, but that's with stuff like Blender. Remember Tokamak, it's ONE GUY. Who I assume has a day job.

I am genuinely sorry if I came off as entitled or anything. Any expression of expectation was meant to be along the lines of "Huh...I would have assumed..." and definitely not "I want to see your manager!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

My reaction to all of that is "Huh. Fair enough." :) I suppose I reflexively am used to bugs at least getting triaged fairly quickly, but that's with stuff like Blender. Remember Tokamak, it's ONE GUY. Who I assume has a day job.

I am genuinely sorry if I came off as entitled or anything. Any expression of expectation was meant to be along the lines of "Huh...I would have assumed..." and definitely not "I want to see your manager!"

 

I don't think you came off as entitled at all.  It may be that we both misunderstood some factors of the situation.  I originally was under the impression that you found a bug.  IE you found something, tested it and determined it was a bug.  In those cases I would add that as a github issue.  They don't get lost as they remain right in your face until you do something with them.

However if you were not sure if it was a bug and wanted feedback, the forum here is better as it gets more traffic.  Hopefully that makes sense.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

I don't think you came off as entitled at all.  It may be that we both misunderstood some factors of the situation.  I originally was under the impression that you found a bug.  IE you found something, tested it and determined it was a bug.  In those cases I would add that as a github issue.  They don't get lost as they remain right in your face until you do something with them.

However if you were not sure if it was a bug and wanted feedback, the forum here is better as it gets more traffic.  Hopefully that makes sense.

 

Gotcha. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, first I think the mod is great, and I appreciate the work behind it.  I have a question about the resource lode.  unfortunately I don't know how to mine it.  when I connect it with KIS, I see the resource but how can I convert it?  It doesn't clap with the drill either.  Can someone help me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, heli said:

Hello, first I think the mod is great, and I appreciate the work behind it.  I have a question about the resource lode.  unfortunately I don't know how to mine it.  when I connect it with KIS, I see the resource but how can I convert it?  It doesn't clap with the drill either.  Can someone help me?

Grab it with a claw and just pretend it is a container full of dirt(connect it to a sifter of some sort).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hey, this is broken with OSE. It throws "Specified Cast is not Valid" errors and won't print. If people could help me understand why, that would be great!

Edited by MoonstreamInSpace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

Hey, this is broken with OSE. It throws "Specified Cast is not Valid" errors and won't print. If people could help me understand why, that would be great!

Need a lot more specificity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.