[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

My current automatic miners have:

• 2.5m MPU (or four 1.25m MPU) configured to convert an input to an output
  • 1.25m USI reactor for power
  • (2) large non-extendable radiators attached to the reactor
  • (2) medium extendable radiators (extended after landing for extra cooling)
  • probe core, antenna, small battery capacity
  • (2) Karibou saddle tanks / cargo (with PW=on in right-click menu) to hold the input and output
  • (2) drills (the "automated" -100 series)

When landed somewhere with a ~5% concentration of the input, the drills will harvest more then what the 2.5m MPU can process.  Because both input/output storage tanks have PW turned on, the excess gets pushed into planetary storage.

Note: I figure it will be a few years before the machinery wears out (have not done the math yet).  In which time, I should be able to harvest/convert enough for whatever purpose I had in mind.

And if I just want to harvest the input and stuff it into planetary storage, then a few drills and the MPU installed (but not doing any work) would likely not consume any machinery, so it would run until the reactor runs out of power.

Edited by WuphonsReach

1 minute ago, Athur Dent said:

Hey guys,

how exactly can i resupply my base with machinery? i dropped a kontainer nearby (< 100m), but all my storage remains empty

I believe an engineer has to EVA and "perform maintenence". That's actually the same thing I was worried about regarding my automated miner.. it'd be somewhat pointless if I constantly have to send crew to it to maintain it's machinery supply.

As for power.. hmm. Nuclear? A Near Future reactor might do the trick. I think they can function independently. RTG's don't have the requisite output.

3 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

• (2) Karibou saddle tanks / cargo (with PW=on in right-click menu) to hold the input and output

When landed somewhere with a ~5% concentration of the input, the drills will harvest more then what the 2.5m MPU can process.  Because both input/output storage tanks have PW turned on, the excess gets pushed into planetary storage.

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know. Forgot USI came with nuclear reactors as well. How long does the machinery last, and can it be replenished/extended without crew by adding machinery storage?

4 minutes ago, Enorats said:

I believe an engineer has to EVA and "perform maintenence". That's actually the same thing I was worried about regarding my automated miner.. it'd be somewhat pointless if I constantly have to send crew to it to maintain it's machinery supply.

As for power.. hmm. Nuclear? A Near Future reactor might do the trick. I think they can function independently. RTG's don't have the requisite output.

i tried the "perform maintainace" option, it didnt do anything....

my machinery container is full, the storage inside my base empty

Just now, Athur Dent said:

i tried the "perform maintainace" option, it didnt do anything....

my machinery container is full, the storage inside my base empty

You need to enable local warehousing on the container.

Just now, Athur Dent said:

is enabled

In that case, please show a screenshot. It should work.

Container with Machinery close by that has warehousing enabled, go on eva with an engineer and perform maintanence on the part. If that is what you did, I don'T see what could go wrong.

Maybe just try restarting your game? That seems to "solve" problems sometimes.

11 minutes ago, Enorats said:

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know. Forgot USI came with nuclear reactors as well. How long does the machinery last, and can it be replenished/extended without crew by adding machinery storage?

It would require a visit by an engineer, even with machinery storage on the same vessel.  Unless you use some other mod like Ship Manifest, which lets you move machinery around.

The 1.25m MPU holds 180.0 machinery and the reactions use 0.04/day = 4500 days

The 2.5m MPU holds 1300.0 machinery, and each segment (2 segments) uses 0.28/day = 2321 days

3.75m MPU holds 4000.0 machinery and the (3) separators consume 0.86 each per day = 1551 days

Edited by WuphonsReach

3 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

It would require a visit by an engineer, even with machinery storage on the same vessel.  Unless you use some other mod like Ship Manifest, which lets you move machinery around.

The 1.25m MPU holds 180.0 machinery and the reactions use 0.04/day = 4500 days

The 2.5m MPU holds 1300.0 machinery, and each segment (2 segments) uses 0.28/day = 2321 days

3.75m MPU holds 4000.0 machinery and the (3) separators consume 0.86 each per day = 1551 days

Hmm. If I recall the Kerbin year is ~426 days. Don't remember the normal time to Jool off the top of my head, but I believe it was a few years. The miners would likely be running low on machinery by the time the crew got there, but they'd have done their job by that point. Guess I'll have to do some comparisions and see what sort of output I'd get from them in that time and how that compares to sending a similar mass of finished goods instead.

Spoiler

the as target marked vessel is the supply ship with the container with machinery, the kerbal on EVA is my engineer

EDIT:

great, the picture doesnt show up...

how do i post pictures here?

Edited by Athur Dent

13 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

great, the picture doesnt show up...

how do i post pictures here?

1. go to http://imgur.com/
  2. Drag your picture in there, let it upload
  3. Right click on the arrow in the top right corner, then on get share links
  4. copy the reddit link
  5. In your KSP forum post editor click on "Insert other media" -> Insert image from URL
  6. Paste your link, remove the syntax except for the actual URL
  7. Click on Insert.

Wow, this is really complicated now that I write that out.

xE0Z2pe.png

thanks for the guidance, i really appreciate it.

now again, the marked target has a enabled warehouse and holds the machinery. on eva you see my engineer over the ag-module i try to fill with machinery

Edited by Athur Dent

3 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

now again, the marked target has a enabled warehouse and holds the machinery. on eva you see my engineer over the ag-module i try to fill with machinery

I'm afraid I don't see anything. One more in daylight?

56 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Note: I figure it will be a few years before the machinery wears out (have not done the math yet).  In which time, I should be able to harvest/convert enough for whatever purpose I had in mind.

And if I just want to harvest the input and stuff it into planetary storage, then a few drills and the MPU installed (but not doing any work) would likely not consume any machinery, so it would run until the reactor runs out of power.

My Chemicals romance

Spoiler

JKBmxSE.png

This is an 8% node, and only 1 small drill is a hair short of feeding all 5 MPUs, so I run only 2 of the 4 shown

15 minutes ago, Athur Dent said:

What I see is that you are trying to perform maintanence on your Habitat, not the Ag-Module :wink:

If that's not the solution, then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Time to check your installation, because maintenance works perfectly fine on my install.

1 minute ago, Kobymaru said:

What I see is that you are trying to perform maintanence on your Habitat, not the Ag-Module :wink:

If that's not the solution, then I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. Time to check your installation, because maintenance works perfectly fine on my install.

Both need refillment, the pic was easier to take that way.

I will try to reinstall tomorrow... thanks for your time

Has anyone else noticed an increase in PAL wheel jitter?

Vessel used to be fine, but now it tries to do backflips whenever the inner hinge is set between -25 and -50

Edited by Baladain

9 hours ago, Baladain said:

Has anyone else noticed an increase in PAL wheel jitter?

Yes, there is a bug report about that: https://github.com/BobPalmer/Konstruction/issues/35

However, it seems that RoverDude has different priorities at the moment.

ps.: You're in the wrong thread. There's a dedicated Konstruction thread :wink:

11 hours ago, Gilph said:

My Chemicals romance

<schnip>

This is an 8% node, and only 1 small drill is a hair short of feeding all 5 MPUs, so I run only 2 of the 4 shown

MPUs are hopefully getting a big buff (and heat) next update, so both of you will probably need more drills and possibly radiators. if the TCSs aren't enough.

And @Baladain said Konstruction thread is here.

Edited by voicey99

3 hours ago, voicey99 said:

MPUs are hopefully getting a big buff (and heat) next update, so both of you will probably need more drills and possibly radiators. if the TCSs aren't enough.

Yeah, I always plan on direct radiators attached to the nukes, then also have some expandable radiators on the vessel so that the radiators run at about 20-25% under full load of everything.

11 minutes ago, WuphonsReach said:

Yeah, I always plan on direct radiators attached to the nukes, then also have some expandable radiators on the vessel so that the radiators run at about 20-25% under full load of everything.

Same here-I normally prefer to attach direct radiator panels, since the problem for me is not total cooling, but core heat transfer (max cooling that each radiator can apply to one part). As such, panels are better for high-heat-generating parts, since spamming radiators is easier than TCSs (the small panel draws as much heat from each part as the small TCS and 1/3 as much in total, but weighs 1/5 as much and costs 1/3 as much). TCSs are better for when you have multiple, low-level heat-generating parts spread around the vessel (e.g. small drills).

16 hours ago, Enorats said:

I have both manned and unmanned bases, for unmanned bases I have a Duna logistics module so that a pilot can refill my machinery storage.

So long as I have machinery in my ISU, I can transfer it to any part that needs maintenance on the same vessel, generally trasnferring the recyclables back to the ISU so they can go to the PL store

16 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

I am pretty sure I have the latest version of MKS and Machinery still seems to transfer fine within the same vessel.

To transfer machinery from my cargo vessel to my unmanned base I transferred some from the unmanned refinery to the ISU then did maintenance on it on the refinery.  That gave me some extra machinery in storage that I can use to delay my next visit with a pilot(who will hop in the logistic module just long enough to refill the local machinery storage)

(Unless it was this ability to transfer within the base that RoverDude was referring to as a bug, in that case it may go away soon)

6 hours ago, voicey99 said:

I hope not...the drills are a bit OP, I think the MPU is fine for what it does.

What's the deal with the MPUs everyone is talking about? I've just spent a hour trying to figure out what it is and why I couldn't find it in my parts list. Zero documentation beyond a single table in the wiki.

Turns out you only get it if you download MKS from github; the spacedock download doesn't have those parts. Different versions?