[WIP][1.3 + 1.2] Kourageous Tourists - tiny mod making tourists less helpless

whale_2

Finally released --> in this post

I find it frustrating that I can not de-board tourists form my holiday trip shuttle, let them be recovered, refuel and restock the shuttle, board new tourists and fly again. Several threads suggest similar things:

Spoiler

So I've made a tiny mod that temporarily promotes tourists to crew members and imposes several restrictions on when they can go EVA. Like level 0 tourists can do it only when landed on Kerbin and craft does not move, level 1 can do munwalks and so on. After they are recovered, they become tourists again. The restrictions are configured in settings.xml GameData/KourageousTourists/Kourage.cfg file. Tourists can not perform any experiments, but probably should be denied from other things like boarding a control seat. I'd like to discuss the most reasonable set of restrictions.

Source code on GitHub:

https://github.com/whale2/KourageousTourists

Update - tourists now can take selfies.

http://imgur.com/vGLy6Qc

http://imgur.com/MVxiLqM

Update - first pre-release with one working contract:

Kourageous Tourists 0.1

Added one more contract and rebuilt for both KSP 1.2 and 1.3 

Get it here -->  Kourageous Tourists 0.2

Release Candidate 0.3

Another type of contract added. Some tourists want to visit anomalies and take photos. 

To the moment, limited to Kerbin and Mun. (This time compiled for 1.3 only)

KourageousTourists-0.3

Changelog:

Spoiler

Ver 0.3

Features:

- New contract - some tourists want to get a picture of themselves in front of some unusual objects.

Ver. 0.2

This is still pre-release, however most things should work.

Fixes:

- Fixed contract persistence between saves and loads

Features:

- New contract - some tourists want to get a picture of themselves in some extrakerbestrial environment.

Ver. 0.1

This is the first pre-release, be warned.

Features:

- Tourists are granted EVA permission in different situations based on their level
- When tourist goes on EVA, Jetpack fuel is drained out on lower levels
- Tourists can take photos; when photo is taken, all kerbals in the scene are likely to express some emotions. Photos can be found in standard 'Screenshot' folder.
- One contract type is available - it requires to let some tourists to set foot on celestial bodies you have visited

Compatibility:
The mod was tested and found to be compatible with:

- EVA Follower
- EVA Enhancements

Issues:

- EVA Fuel; At the moment fuel, transferred from the vessel, a tourists goes on EVA from, will be lost. Patch for EVA Fuel was discussed with its current maintainer and PR was sent.

Edited by whale_2
Release

I like the idea of all tourist being allowed to put on a suit and to walk on the surface of the bodies they visit. I'm not sure that tying ot to tourist star rating works, as not many tourists ever go on more than one trip and by default they only get there stars when they get home.

The probably shouldn't be allowed any EVA fuel or be allowed out when not landed on a solid surface in case they get lost and can't get back.

Taking their EVA fuel away is nice idea, I'll put it into config, thanks. Some of my tourists traveled to both, say, Mün and Minmus and AFAIR, they get all that xp and levels like normal crew, so if someone wants a münwalk they first need to get some xp by orbital tour. There are no münwalk tours now but they could be added, of course.

4 minutes ago, Skalou said:

It sound really promising!

An idea: give them special things to do, like taking photos,...( can be set as experiements only doable by them?) wich will reward you (reputation,...)

At the moment the mod is not tested enough, but later I think it could make sense to merge it into this (if @nightingale will like this idea) :

Edited by whale_2

Ah, good stuff, there's some good ideas here.  I'll see if I can get some changes to have tourists work better within the experience effects system to make this type of change more moddable (right now stuff like the EVA restriction is coded off the kerbal type).

Also, I'd suggest moving the config from XML to CFG if mod compatibility/integration is one of your goals (that way module manager can be used to change the config when used with other mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed tourists not being reverted to tourist when recovered from Tracking Station or KSC view.

Now all kerbals in scene smile or react the way they find more appropriate when one of the tourists takes selfie.

Reaction is based on courage/stupidity. Less courageous tend to express fear more often, more stupid tend to smile wider.

Instead of taking away ALL of their EVA fuel, take away 50%-70% of it? That way, it will help newbies (like me) who tend to strand their tourists in orbit, EVA the tourists, fly them over to the rescue vessel (since my docking skills are non existent) and then keep flying home, without giving them the ability to go on full fledge missions? This would also work well with the non infinite EVA fuel mods.

2 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Instead of taking away ALL of their EVA fuel, take away 50%-70% of it? That way, it will help newbies (like me) who tend to strand their tourists in orbit, EVA the tourists, fly them over to the rescue vessel (since my docking skills are non existent) and then keep flying home, without giving them the ability to go on full fledge missions? This would also work well with the non infinite EVA fuel mods.

I've just changed the way the jetpack is blocked in that cases where it is not allowed. Fuel is intact, but the jetpack is locked. Main reason was not to clash with EvaFuel .

Giving tourist a reduced amount of fuel seems to me like "you first learn to swim, then we'll fill the pool with water". Less fuel does not mean more safety, it's quite the opposite. What really could make sense is limiting jetpack thrust for less experienced tourists - I'll check if this is possible in a reasonable way.   

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great idea for a mod and looks promising. Thought I'd add a quick suggestion - maybe add a few randomized custom animations for tourists when they take a selfies (*waves* *star jump* *planking* *pointing* *Fonz pose- ehhhhh* :)) using the below mod. No probs if not and just throwing stuff out there - can very much understand not wanting to add other dependencies.

12 hours ago, wile1411 said:

Great idea for a mod and looks promising. Thought I'd add a quick suggestion - maybe add a few randomized custom animations for tourists when they take a selfies (*waves* *star jump* *planking* *pointing* *Fonz pose- ehhhhh* :)) using the below mod. No probs if not and just throwing stuff out there - can very much understand not wanting to add other dependencies.

I think I saw it before but actually forgot. Nice thing, definitely, thanks for pointing out. As of now, tourists can only smile or put some other grimace on their faces, but doing extra stuff would be great. I'll look into that after I finish some more contracts.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.