Help launching a space station core!!

Hi guys!

I have an issue... I'm trying to use EPL and USI LS to build a space station. I have the core built and ready to go, and am planning to build the other modules via the orbital Launchpad thingy, then connect them together with docking ports. My problem is that as soon as the 4 boosters are dropped, the entire thing spins out of control. here is download link for help. (I don't have any images to add, srry :(.)

craft file here (do not use link anymore)

Thanks!

Edited by nascarlaser1
link no longer needs to work.

How high are you when dropping the boosters? Probably all you need are some big fins at the back of your core. If it's too high for fins to be useful, add some vernors and engage RCS as you stage.

Another approach would be to make bigger side boosters and a smaller core stage, so that you drop the boosters higher where there are less aerodynamics in play.

That's my quick answer without looking at the craft file

My large station launches generally look like this:

ZGWLOJl.png

16 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

How high are you when dropping the boosters? Probably all you need are some big fins at the back of your core. If it's too high for fins to be useful, add some vernors and engage RCS as you stage.

Another approach would be to make bigger side boosters and a smaller core stage, so that you drop the boosters higher where there are less aerodynamics in play.

That's my quick answer without looking at the craft file

My large station launches generally look like this:

ZGWLOJl.png

thanks! I will try now as soon as my other shuttle lands.

I'm not on my KSP machine, so I'm going by the stats provided at KerbalX, but I do have a couple of observations.

1.  Why do you have so many LS MiniPaks?

2.  Also, I noticed that you have 17 strut connectors.  That suggests that either one of your struts is missing an end or (as I'm not really sure whether struts count as one part or two) you've got an asymmetrical strut.  Or both.

12 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

I'm not on my KSP machine, so I'm going by the stats provided at KerbalX, but I do have a couple of observations.

1.  Why do you have so many LS MiniPaks?

2.  Also, I noticed that you have 17 strut connectors.  That suggests that either one of your struts is missing an end or (as I'm not really sure whether struts count as one part or two) you've got an asymmetrical strut.  Or both.

I had an asymmetrical strut by accident, but never bothered to change it. The minipaks on the command pods are for the command pod/escape pod. In an emergency, the command pod, supplies, parachute and heat shield all eject away from the station. The minipaks give the 3 kerbals 75 days of LS inside the pod, till a rescue can get them. Now that the station is in orbit, I'll build more modules via the orbital EPL thingy on the top. getting crew up there is gonna be another story though....

@nascarlaser1:

Ah, I see.  I asked because those things all surface attach and all of them have drag.  If you have a lot of them on the head of your rocket, that can cause drag issues that can cause flip issues.  Since you did explain it, I am further curious to know whether you have considered the idea of using 1.25m LS tanks on top of the command pod or the 2.5m tank on the bottom--you don't have to fill it all the way.  Or, for that matter, you can surface attach the 1.25m tanks, which saves you the ache of high part count (this also saves surface area on the pod).

Or, to go down a completely different path, why not use a pancake 2.5m fuel tank with a few radial engines (or some similar arrangement) in the idea that they don't need 75 days of LS if they can deorbit on their own?

11 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

@nascarlaser1:

Ah, I see.  I asked because those things all surface attach and all of them have drag.  If you have a lot of them on the head of your rocket, that can cause drag issues that can cause flip issues.  Since you did explain it, I am further curious to know whether you have considered the idea of using 1.25m LS tanks on top of the command pod or the 2.5m tank on the bottom--you don't have to fill it all the way.  Or, for that matter, you can surface attach the 1.25m tanks, which saves you the ache of high part count (this also saves surface area on the pod).

Or, to go down a completely different path, why not use a pancake 2.5m fuel tank with a few radial engines (or some similar arrangement) in the idea that they don't need 75 days of LS if they can deorbit on their own?

oh... I'd do that but my thing is already in orbit, and even though I have KAS/KIS I do not have any engineers on it :(. My last attempt at a crew transport resulted in it going through the middle of my solar panels and into the command pod, so I had to revert or risk killing everyone/everything.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.