KSP Weekly: We’re back!

SQUAD

tumblr_inline_ojdwxdIJcP1rr2wit_540.png

Welcome to KSP Weekly, everyone! We hope everyone enjoyed their holidays! We are back, fully recharged, very excited about what is coming, ready to start this year with enthusiasm and wishing everyone a Happy New Year. This edition will be short, but we promise that in future entries, we will have more news to share. Now without further ado, let’s begin!

Back after the break and lots of things are happening. Localization testing, many textures to check and a huge spreadsheet of the changes to check them against. Multiply that by the languages being localised and it’s a mountain of work, but thankfully we have some native speakers for each language helping us out. It may be worth pointing out that localization is not the same as translation, so the whole process is aimed at preserving the “feel” of KSP for each culture. It isn’t simply sending all of the text through a well known web translation service. Textures, text, keyboards, humour are all are getting diligent treatment by the whole team.

On a related note the Steam client now lists 5 languages for KSP as options, but despite being shown, these are not active yet. This was done as part of the localization process, so do not despair if you cannot change the game’s language right now.

Thanks the community’s feedback, we were able to track a bug that involves raised/clipped areas on the runway when a Kerbal is doing an EVA on it. This ridge does not only look weird, but it causes small planes to bounce, or even destroys landing gear. This is on our list of pending tasks to do and it will be fixed in the next major patch, so stay tuned for a follow up regarding this issue. The feedback we receive from the community is immensely helpful for us to catch these kind of bugs that otherwise would be easily overlooked, so we want to give a huge shoutout to all of you who have helped us reporting bugs in the bugtracker!

Finally, we are focusing on the Loud and Clear Update for Consoles and designing the super awesome, super secret stuff, we’ve been talking about in the past few weeks! This effort is being done by all of us: the designing, programming, QA and Art departments. We’re very excited about how it is looking and we’re dying to start telling you all about it, which will be quite soon!

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news!

Happy launchings!

Hey, I hope you all had a nice and relaxing holiday.

With QA already involved in your supersecret project, it seems that it is already well advanced. I must admit, I am getting quite curious what it might be. :wink:

50 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

What do they mean by "Localization testing"?

Making sure that everything works in the various languages they've been translating KSP into, along with textures and so forth.

Localizing (i.e. translating software into a different language) is a feature.  Like any other program feature, it requires testing by QA to make sure it's working as designed.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Thanks the community’s feedback, we were able to track a bug that involves raised/clipped areas on the runway when a Kerbal is doing an EVA on it. This ridge does not only look weird, but it causes small planes to bounce, or even destroys landing gear. This is on our list of pending tasks to do and it will be fixed in the next major patch, so stay tuned for a follow up regarding this issue.

Please tell me this is in relation to the terrain seams.

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Finally, we are focusing on the Loud and Clear Update for Consoles and designing the super awesome, super secret stuff, we’ve been talking about in the past few weeks! This effort is being done by all of us: the designing, programming, QA and Art departments. We’re very excited about how it is looking and we’re dying to start telling you all about it, which will be quite soon!

PSVR!? That's great! Except I don't have PS4!...

7 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Finally, we are focusing on the Loud and Clear Update for Consoles and designing the super awesome, super secret stuff, we’ve been talking about in the past few weeks! This effort is being done by all of us: the designing, programming, QA and Art departments...

Happy New Year devteam !

But does this actually mean all the team are focusing on consoles now ?

If yes, I am not sure I am happy with this news. Not that I don't care about consoles but didn't console port being meant to be processed by a dedicated team or did I miss something ?

6 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Please tell me this is in relation to the terrain seams.

At first, I dismissed this offhand. But then I thought for a moment, and realised that the runway seams do look a little like the terrain seams. They just have ramps instead of the gaping wounds of the terrain. Common causation seems more likely now than anything else. If they do it right, we may find both fixed in one fell swoop.

10 hours ago, SQUAD said:
designing the super awesome, super secret stuff, we’ve been talking about in the past few weeks! This effort is being done by all of us: the designing, programming, QA and Art departments. We’re very excited about how it is looking and we’re dying to start telling you all about it, which will be quite soon!

You must tell us! I'm dying of suspense! :confused:

Is it only my perception, or is this dev note one of the most non-descript ever posted?

"Super-secret" - isn't that something that you should never ever mention exists?  Jeeze...  Oh sorry, perhaps it was meant to be written in a cali-style with "Super-cute" inflection. If so, then perhaps every other word should have been like "like".  Yes, that was a style dig. Criticism intended with imbedded sarcasm. (SERIOUSLY: I don't understand the strategy of telling people that something exists, but that no further details are available. What is the realised value in that? Having readers speculate? Not helpful, unless you release actual information that can seed the speculation in a positive direction to generate buzz.  Otherwise it appears strictly amateur.

From my perspective, it is very highly likely that what we are now seeing is a "dev-note" format formally driven by DEVS and now completely driven by brand - now existing as a pure communications activity that feeds on only a small bit of development details - with the effect of creating an insulating barrier between the community and the development team. Perhaps this is what is desired just in case there are further changes to the cadre. Frankly, I'm Ok with that - however, it should not restrict communication of higher level of details than currently provided.

In the past I found myself looking forward to the details in the weekly dev notes. Now, I find myself looking at the KSP weekly only half the time, and then usually days later than usual.  WHY? Because I find there to no little or no "real information" being communicated.  And what is communicated lacks the details that the community craves to understand and contribute to.

This now contributes to a very poor showing from Squad - who need to step up their game.  IMHO actual degradation of KSP appears to be now in progress - accelerating just like sea ice retreat...

You [Squad] created a supportive and engaged community based not only on a great game, but ALSO on how you nurtured and communicated to your users and community members with details and perspectives across a number of aspects of the game and your thinking.  Personally, I do not see the same attention to detail presently in action.

Finally, any excuses such as "oh and we just came back from break so there isn't a lot to say" are completely disingenuous.

While I commend all attempts at stabilising and formatting news and information, I have now abandoned my patience with this new format. I won't stop reading it from time to time, but it has fallen down my ladder of KSP information sources.  I sincerely hope improvements can be made.

When talking, people who tell them briefly are preferable.

Well...I expect KSP and developers to make a breakthrough this year, following last year!

Edited by EBOSHI

12 hours ago, Benoit Hage said:

@SQUAD

Little question about localization. Is it a translation of the in-game text in a particular language, and/or is it the game adapting to each language keyboard (AZERTY instead of QWERTY)

If you read previous KSP Weeklies you will find mention of keyboards.

6 hours ago, Electre said:

I hope they will localize KSP in French, some of my friend would play it if it can be really in french (not the community language patch )

If you read previous KSP Weeklies you will find mention of French.

Maybe it is worth reading the KSP Weekly's after all....

3 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

If you read previous KSP Weekly's you will find mention of keyboards.

If you read previous KSP weekly's you will find mention of French.

Maybe it is worth reading the KSP Weekly's after all....

Yeah! Backhanded passive-aggressive replies are SURE to win back the community who've supported Squad since the beginning and are now understandably concerned about KSP's future because the events of the last 6 months (include the MASS EXODUS of the ENTIRE dev team) have been SUPER worrying!

Keep up the GREAT work and remember: you've already got our money so who cares, right?

30 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

Yeah! Backhanded passive-aggressive replies are SURE to win back the community who've supported Squad since the beginning and are now understandably concerned about KSP's future because the events of the last 6 months (include the MASS EXODUS of the ENTIRE dev team) have been SUPER worrying!

Keep up the GREAT work and remember: you've already got our money so who cares, right?

There is nothing passive aggressive intended in my reply. I am simply advising other users that these topics have been covered in previous KSP Weekly threads.
Perhaps the last sentence could be construed that way. So I rescind it, that was not the intention.
Your post does feel somewhat aggressive however. Shouting things that are in fact incorrect.

</end information stream>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.