[1.3] RealEnginesPack v1.8 OMS and Apollo engine release. 22/07/2017

Alcentar

Are you still going to do Russian engines or is that chapter closed?

If you are, the RD-0410 would be an amazing addition. Probably my favorite engine, though I can see how it might be a bit difficult to model what with all the plumbing. Nevertheless it would be really cool to be able to use a Soviet nuclear engine. The only nuclear engine mods I've seen are either fictional or based on American engines, which leaves the Soviets kinda underrepresented. I'm doing a Soviet themed RSS/RO playthrough and, aside from filling the gap, a nuclear engine would be very useful for interplanetary missions.  

Edited by KAO

13 hours ago, KAO said:

Are you still going to do Russian engines or is that chapter closed?

If you are, the RD-0410 would be an amazing addition. Probably my favorite engine, though I can see how it might be a bit difficult to model what with all the plumbing. Nevertheless it would be really cool to be able to use a Soviet nuclear engine. The only nuclear engine mods I've seen are either fictional or based on American engines, which leaves the Soviets kinda underrepresented. I'm doing a Soviet themed RSS/RO playthrough and, aside from filling the gap, a nuclear engine would be very useful for interplanetary missions.  

I'm not ready to speak for the fate of add-on because I have not been able to find the motivation to continue working on it for a long time. ;.;

@Alcentar the NK-33 and RD-275 are fixed! Awesome! But there's still an issue: while the actual vernier models on the RD-108 move correctly, the thrust transforms don't seem to be parented to the right verniers at all. Do test it ingame and try to roll, and see what happens: the exhausts don't move correctly in sync with the verniers, and no roll control is provided--the exhausts splay in and out instead of going side-to-side.

On 16.07.2017 at 0:21 AM, NathanKell said:

@Alcentar the NK-33 and RD-275 are fixed! Awesome! But there's still an issue: while the actual vernier models on the RD-108 move correctly, the thrust transforms don't seem to be parented to the right verniers at all. Do test it ingame and try to roll, and see what happens: the exhausts don't move correctly in sync with the verniers, and no roll control is provided--the exhausts splay in and out instead of going side-to-side.

I'd rather see what's wrong with him.

Guys, anyone knows if the Americans have normal photos of their engines, I found only one photo of OMS, but it's not enough to make a 3d model ... It's also quite difficult to find normal photos of other engines ... If anyone has information About OMS give me links to normal photos. :/

@Alcentar You are a very lucky person! The AJ10 engine in general is (was?) the simplest engine ever to be manufactured using non-modern techniques. Orthographic view:

Spoiler

AJ10-190_DWG.png

Using the above image as a basis you could also make almost every AJ10 variant ever made. Compare it to the AJ10-118K used on the Delta II launch vehicle:

Spoiler

Delta_II_second_stage.jpg

Only a bit longer of a nozzle. The very early variants (used on the Able/Ablestar upper stages) have a nozzle slightly smaller than the AJ10-190 variant.

TL;DR: it would be great if by modeling the Shuttle OMS engine you could also make the rest of them...:wink:

Edited by Phineas Freak

1 hour ago, Phineas Freak said:

@Alcentar You are a very lucky person! The AJ10 engine in general is (was?) the simplest engine ever to be manufactured using non-modern techniques. Orthographic view:

Hide contents

AJ10-190_DWG.png

Using the above image as a basis you could also make almost every AJ10 variant ever made. Compare it to the AJ10-118K used on the Delta II launch vehicle:

Hide contents

Delta_II_second_stage.jpg

Only a bit longer of a nozzle. The very early variants (used on the Able/Ablestar upper stages) have a nozzle slightly smaller than the AJ10-190 variant.

TL;DR: it would be great if by modeling the Shuttle OMS engine you could also make the rest of them...:wink:

Here is the picture I'm focusing on, the base is already made in 3d but this is not enough for the release of the engine.

OMS.jpg

By the way, thanks for the information, I'm not very familiar with the American engines.
I will search for at least a little more information, and if do not find then I will have to do a very not exact model.

Hmm, none of the "official" AJ10 (or other American hypergolic engines, like the LMAE/LMDE) ever had very detailed pictures of the inner workings, only the overall factor. Also, these engines are pressure-fed so the only real components are the combustion chamber, some propellant pipes and the propellant valves. Example No. 1 (AJ10-37 - Vanguard Able):

Spoiler

AJ-10-37.JPG

Example No. 2 (AJ10-142 - Thor Delta):

Spoiler

AJ-10-142.jpg

Example No. 3, a more complicated design from the Apollo SPS (AJ10-137):

Spoiler

AJ-10-137.jpg

As you see...not a lot.

Edited by Phineas Freak
Fix small typo...

Update v1.8
1. Fixed a problem with RD-108, thanks @NathanKell for comment, I hope now everything works properly.

2. Made a small restoration of textures and models for engines RD-107/108 and A7.

3. Added two new engines for US pack, OMS/Orion engine (AJ10-190) and Apollo engine (AJ10-137).

AJ11.png

Download: https://spacedock.info/mod/1212/RealEngines?new=True

Many thanks @Phineas Freak for the information and assistance in creating new engines, now I also have a reserve for the creation of new engines. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After reading thru the threads I could find no config file for CTT so decided to learn about rocket engines;

Real Engines Community Tech Tree config file      (via Dropbox)

Bonus - Uses stock only tech nodes so is ready to import into the relevant cfg's.

Added a bit of fluff to each description (as per Wikipedia so beware). The "attachment" parts are a bit confusing so clarification will be needed as well as they are showing up in the fuel tank section - Should be "Structural"?

This was all done in the wee, dark hours of a Sunday morning so suggestions are highly welcome and expected.

Edited by Morashtak
word

28 minutes ago, smckamey19 said:

I was just looking for something like this! I couldn't see the engines anywhere and wondered why. I guess this explains it. Where do I put the file after I download it?

I can never find the engines when I'm in the game.... 

To keep the file structure clean add a folder under the Real Engines folder, call it Patches, place this file in the new folder. MM will see it and do its thing.

40 minutes ago, Morashtak said:

To keep the file structure clean add a folder under the Real Engines folder, call it Patches, place this file in the new folder. MM will see it and do its thing.

Awesome! Thanks! Is there any way to scale the engines in game? 

TweakScale is the go-to for most parts but it needs a config file that points MM to each of REs parts. Again, not a problem for @Alcentar.

No promises but looks easy tho' will take a few tests to ensure all the engines are incorporated.

First pass done

TweakScale config file ; requires TweakScale. Place file in TweakScale's Patches folder

Edited by Morashtak
added file link

• 2 weeks later...

Hey you do realize that the green things are hydraulics and that the whole engine and turbo pumps gimbals with the nozzle and only the thrust structure stays still. I know most people don't care but this real bug me from a realism point of view. :/  I'm not saying you have to remodel the engines as they look great but just make it so the whole engine assembly gimbals instead of just the nozzle.

Note how the whole engine gimbals instead of just the nozzle.

On 10.09.2017 at 4:44 AM, Jamesbowser said:

Hey you do realize that the green things are hydraulics and that the whole engine and turbo pumps gimbals with the nozzle and only the thrust structure stays still. I know most people don't care but this real bug me from a realism point of view. :/  I'm not saying you have to remodel the engines as they look great but just make it so the whole engine assembly gimbals instead of just the nozzle.

Note how the whole engine gimbals instead of just the nozzle.

I can not do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.