[1.8] Station Science continued (v2.6.0)

tomf

50 minutes ago, PhantomC3PO said:

Awesome. If I can help in any way please let me know

Oh, and do you have docking ports unlocked? I've just spotted that that is a requirement too.

Ok, new release is ready, see the first post for the link.

It makes the requirements for the labs and cyclotron skill based, improves the logging, and removes the requirement to purchase parts before contracts will show up.

MKS technicians already have the skill to help with cyclotrons

Module manager can be used to allow for example, MKS biologists to work in the zoology bay. The config is below

@PART[StnSciZoo]:NEEDS[MKS]
{
    @MODULE[StationScienceModule] {
        @requiredSkills ^=:$:, BotanySkill
    }
}

Edited by tomf

43 minutes ago, tomf said:

Oh, and do you have docking ports unlocked? I've just spotted that that is a requirement too.

Yes I have unlocked them :) 

23 minutes ago, tomf said:

Ok, new release is ready, see the first post for the link.

It makes the requirements for the labs and cyclotron skill based, improves the logging, and removes the requirement to purchase parts before contracts will show up.

MKS technicians already have the skill to help with cyclotrons

Module manager can be used to allow for example, MKS biologists to work in the zoology bay. The config is below

@PART[StnSciZoo]:NEEDS[MKS]
{
    @MODULE[StationScienceModule] {
        @requiredSkills ^=:$:, BotanySkill
    }
}

Awesome, thanks so much for releasing this so quickly. :) 

Hi @tomf, I'm getting constant log spam with the new version:

[LOG 22:03:23.712] [StatSci:3/18/2017 10:03:23 PM]: Checking MeetRequirements
[LOG 22:03:23.712] [StatSci:3/18/2017 10:03:23 PM]: Checking lab and a docking port

Is it possible to switch off these messages with some cfg setting?

5 minutes ago, maja said:

Hi @tomf, I'm getting constant log spam with the new version:

[LOG 22:03:23.712] [StatSci:3/18/2017 10:03:23 PM]: Checking MeetRequirements
[LOG 22:03:23.712] [StatSci:3/18/2017 10:03:23 PM]: Checking lab and a docking port

Is it possible to switch off these messages with some cfg setting?

No, but I've uploaded 2.2.1 which removes those lines. I'll might try and do something clever later.

4 hours ago, Imploding Quasar said:

What am I doing wrong? I can't seem to generate kuarks. I have 6 scientists, 1 pilot and 1 engineer. I have 1 pro-grade kuarks container. My cyclotron status is locked, research lab status is locked . What am i supposed to do to make them work? Thanks.

I haven't seen that before, I don't think it is coming from the station science code. I'm thinking it could be an error in your install or a mod conflict.

Have you managed to use station science before successfully? If you start a new sandbox game and cheat just a minimum station of a lab and a plant science +electricity etc into kerbin orbit will that work?

@tomf Great mod, used it since 1.0.5, thank you very much for continuing it! :)

Just a question that I have since the beginning, I don't know if I'm doing something worn or not, but why the station parts of the vesse type base by default? And everytime I dock, it resest to base. I can't tell you if it happens always, when some parts are present, or something though. :/ 

34 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

@tomf Great mod, used it since 1.0.5, thank you very much for continuing it! :)

Just a question that I have since the beginning, I don't know if I'm doing something worn or not, but why the station parts of the vesse type base by default? And everytime I dock, it resest to base. I can't tell you if it happens always, when some parts are present, or something though. :/ 

Hi @VaPaL =)

It's defined in the cfg files, think it's "VesselType".

Am not sure what would happen if it's removed =">

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying out this mod for the first time.  I have Kibbel figured out.  But when I try to run the Zoology or Research lab, I get a message about Bioproducts full or Eurekas full.  I assume these are supposed to be actual resources.  But none of the parts with this pack appear to have the ability to store these resources.  Am I just doing something wrong?  Or is there a container for these resources that I'm not seeing?

48 minutes ago, clevelas said:

I'm trying out this mod for the first time.  I have Kibbel figured out.  But when I try to run the Zoology or Research lab, I get a message about Bioproducts full or Eurekas full.  I assume these are supposed to be actual resources.  But none of the parts with this pack appear to have the ability to store these resources.  Am I just doing something wrong?  Or is there a container for these resources that I'm not seeing?

Have you got the experiment attached to your station? When you right click on the experiment there's an option to start experiment. It's the experiment itself that stores the Eureka's Quarks and bioproducts and needs them to complete the expirement.

20 minutes ago, PhantomC3PO said:

Have you got the experiment attached to your station? When you right click on the experiment there's an option to start experiment. It's the experiment itself that stores the Eureka's Quarks and bioproducts and needs them to complete the expirement.

When I click "Start Experiment" on the Zoology lab, I get this:

DJVTDSa.png

1 hour ago, clevelas said:

When I click "Start Experiment" on the Zoology lab, I get this:

DJVTDSa.png

You also need to have an experiment like "Plant Growth" or similar, there's six all together, on a craft that is docked to your station. It's this part that you then have to start experiment in as well. You need it on a craft that can undock because it needs to be returned to kerbin for full reward 

10 hours ago, PhantomC3PO said:

You also need to have an experiment like "Plant Growth" or similar, there's six all together, on a craft that is docked to your station. It's this part that you then have to start experiment in as well. You need it on a craft that can undock because it needs to be returned to kerbin for full reward 

Ok, that makes sense now.  And is working.  I knew I needed the experiments, but I thought I had to bank up Eurekas and Bioproduct before I could do the research.  

Thanks for the help.

Is it by design that cyclotron has engineer specialty bonus now? This effectively makes all Kuarq-based experiment much harder now - as a single cyclotron is only going to generate Kuarq at 10%~30% efficiency with no or low level engineer. OTOH you must overcome the 0.8-ish hard limit decay at the end of the experiment (double decay for eccentric experiment), so in early career one needs either 3 cyclotron to conduct any Kuarq experiment, or try hard to level the crew up. For me I can always just turn the specialty bonus off locally, but I suggest we reconsider this specialty bonus in public repository as well.

And there also seems a bug that is previously mentioned but not described correctly. I know the first time contract has its bonus. However upon completion, the second-time contract still has the first-time bonus in effect. But if I decline that second-time contract, the subsequent one has decreased pay as intended. Looks the first-time check may happen before the marking the first-time completion somehow. I believe that's what people previously said "don't pay less"

36 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

Is it by design that cyclotron has engineer specialty bonus now? This effectively makes all Kuarq-based experiment much harder now - as a single cyclotron is only going to generate Kuarq at 10%~30% efficiency with no or low level engineer. OTOH you must overcome the 0.8-ish hard limit decay at the end of the experiment (double decay for eccentric experiment), so in early career one needs either 3 cyclotron to conduct any Kuarq experiment, or try hard to level the crew up. For me I can always just turn the specialty bonus off locally, but I suggest we reconsider this specialty bonus in public repository as well.

And there also seems a bug that is previously mentioned but not described correctly. I know the first time contract has its bonus. However upon completion, the second-time contract still has the first-time bonus in effect. But if I decline that second-time contract, the subsequent one has decreased pay as intended. Looks the first-time check may happen before the marking the first-time completion somehow. I believe that's what people previously said "don't pay less"

The engineer bonus is deliberate - the cyclotron needs maintenance to operate at peak efficiency. However the minimum - with no engineer stars at all is 85% not 30%. It was 30% in one of the first version is released before I modified it. If you are seeing values less than 85% then I suspect you have an old version of something somewhere.

As for the contracts payout - Interesting, I'l take another look and see if I can replicate the problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.