[1.8] Station Science continued (v2.6.0)

tomf

Well i went ahead and started my own patch.

StationScience compatibility patch

Current functionality:

• Research Lab added to BDB MOS-LS lab
  • Research Lab added to SSTU-SC-COS-LAB parts
  • Research Lab added to SSTU-SC-DOS-LAB
  • SSTU-SC-DOS-FEM duplicated and made a new zoology bay

I plan on including USI parts in this patch in the future.

I have no current plans to add functionality to any other BDB lab parts (if there are any) as I do not use them (I play with a cut down BDB install, only use the Mercury and Gemini pods and accessories)

RE balance: a small attempt at balance was made, mostly based off of research node placement (in CTT) and size of the part, the StationScience lab and zoology bay were disabled as well. If you wish to change the balance the .cfg is well commented and it should be fairly easy to see what I did and what to change.

If anyone has any patches they would like to include in this please feel free to PM me.

@tomf you are welcome to link this in the OP or include it in the down load if you so desire.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Question about the the Career mode missions.  I am not able to complete or get credit for any of them.

I build a station with all the requirements to my knowledge.  Accepted the mission.  Launched the Kuarqs multiple times, completed it, finalized it and got the science for it, tried to land it and recovered it, but somehow it does not register that I have completed it.  I tried to reset it by EVA a Scientist and reset it and ran it again.  The game is still not picking up that I've completed the assignment.  See screenshots.

Does anyone know how to get credit for completing the missions?  I am new to this mod, so I may be skipping a simple step, but not sure what it could be. I would greatly appreciate if someone could advise.

Thank you.

1.png

No matter what I do, I can't get the "Complete in orbit around Kerbin" to check off and turn green. See below.

4.png

https://image.ibb.co/jVcbxv/3.jpg

Noticed this in my ksp.log

[LOG 12:10:37.031] Load(Texture): StationScience/Parts/NewCyclo
[LOG 12:10:37.044] Load(Texture): StationScience/Parts/NewCycloEm
[LOG 12:10:37.054] Load(Texture): StationScience/Parts/NewCycloN
[LOG 12:10:37.083] Cannot create texture: No header created
[WRN 12:10:37.083] Texture load error in 'C:\Apps\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\StationScience\Parts\NewCycloN.tga'

Dunno if it's important or not. The specified file exists and is loadable in paint.net

EDIT: This appears later in the log

[LOG 12:10:41.506] Load(Model): StationScience/Parts/StnSciCyclo
[ERR 12:10:41.527] Texture 'StationScience/Parts/NewCycloN' not found!

Full ksp.log

Edited by strudo76

On 18/07/2017 at 11:08 PM, KerbMav said:

My Spectrometron is fillings its PAW with the five science results that I have on my station.

Screenshot and logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q4b3n56zpjf7c8z/AADnfMuQKOGpAziPR24V-8Hca?dl=0

I'm not at my computer fit a few more days but that looks very weird, do you know if and how it is reproducible?

8 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Noticed this in my ksp.log

[LOG 12:10:37.031] Load(Texture): StationScience/Parts/NewCyclo
[LOG 12:10:37.044] Load(Texture): StationScience/Parts/NewCycloEm
[LOG 12:10:37.054] Load(Texture): StationScience/Parts/NewCycloN
[LOG 12:10:37.083] Cannot create texture: No header created
[WRN 12:10:37.083] Texture load error in 'C:\Apps\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\StationScience\Parts\NewCycloN.tga'

[LOG 12:10:41.506] Load(Model): StationScience/Parts/StnSciCyclo
[ERR 12:10:41.527] Texture 'StationScience/Parts/NewCycloN' not found!

Full ksp.log

Does the party look ok in game?

CoH - you are recovering the whole experiment component on kerbin?

On 21.7.2017 at 1:11 PM, tomf said:

I'm not at my computer fit a few more days but that looks very weird, do you know if and how it is reproducible?

I came up to my space station with a couple reports in a pod already. Docked the Spectrometron and welded it with the Konstruction ports. Right clicked the Spect. and it started adding five lines every second or so.

Was lucky to hit the autostrut button before it left the screen. :sticktongue:

Revisiting the station gives me an empty PAW that again starts filling itself again. Will try this evening again if a restart helped. EDIT: Didn't.

Edited by KerbMav

2 hours ago, tomf said:

Does the party look ok in game?

Can't say to be honest. Due to my inability to decide of a final set of mods, I'm always restarting my career before I get to stations. I have been playing with learning some MM to customise my game, and noticed those error when looking at the log to see if my own (unrelated) changes were throwing anything. Chances are if no one else is complaining, it's probably fine in game.

Me again. :wink:

But with something different, I have an idea of sorts.

Currently to do the station experiments everywhere one has to build a station at/fly a big ship to the other planets.
Trying to fill the experiments at home and bringing the containers anywhere will reset them.

How about preparing the experiments at home and carrying the containers around, but instead of removing them on SOI changes, either:

- give a bonus to finishing them with all station modules required present
  (analog to stock lab getting a bonus for experiments from its current location)
or
- penalize them if they are missing in location
  (analog to stock transmission limits)?

25 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

Me again. :wink:

But with something different, I have an idea of sorts.

Currently to do the station experiments everywhere one has to build a station at/fly a big ship to the other planets.
Trying to fill the experiments at home and bringing the containers anywhere will reset them.

How about preparing the experiments at home and carrying the containers around, but instead of removing them on SOI changes, either:

- give a bonus to finishing them with all station modules required present
  (analog to stock lab getting a bonus for experiments from its current location)
or
- penalize them if they are missing in location
  (analog to stock transmission limits)?

I think the whole point of this mod is the requirement to get large and heavy parts to distant bodies. I think it leads to interesting choices such as do you attempt to transport your cyclotron from the mun to minmus to do kuark experiments or do you launch a new one?

Is there a way to change the speed of eurekas generation and science value of the experiments? I play with KCT and the experiments end faster than I can build them: it takes 2 low-level scientists just a couple of days to perform Plant Growth experiment and it takes me some 20 days to build a new rocket and send it to the station. I guess some balancing is in order here.

2 hours ago, garwel said:

Is there a way to change the speed of eurekas generation and science value of the experiments? I play with KCT and the experiments end faster than I can build them: it takes 2 low-level scientists just a couple of days to perform Plant Growth experiment and it takes me some 20 days to build a new rocket and send it to the station. I guess some balancing is in order here.

You could edit the part files to change eurekasRequired, kuargsRequired and bioproductsRequired for the experiments.

17 hours ago, overkill13 said:

You could edit the part files to change eurekasRequired, kuargsRequired and bioproductsRequired for the experiments.

Did it, although I'm afraid I'll also have to rebalance kibbal storage etc.

Another question: I've finished the first experiment (plant growth) and returned the science to kerbin. Can I re-make it indefinitely, or does it provide diminishing returns, or is it one-off?

30 minutes ago, garwel said:

Did it, although I'm afraid I'll also have to rebalance kibbal storage etc.

Another question: I've finished the first experiment (plant growth) and returned the science to kerbin. Can I re-make it indefinitely, or does it provide diminishing returns, or is it one-off?

IIRC one of per situation  -low orbit, high orbit, landed etc

You should be able to modify the StnSciZoo config to make it use kibbal at a fraction of the rate and to produce Bioproducts at matching fraction so you won't need to rebalance the storage etc

On 19/07/2017 at 10:08 AM, KerbMav said:

My Spectrometron is fillings its PAW with the five science results that I have on my station.

Screenshot and logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q4b3n56zpjf7c8z/AADnfMuQKOGpAziPR24V-8Hca?dl=0

I had the same problem last year with an earlier version, (https://github.com/kethernet/StationScience/issues/3), and it's still doing the same thing now with the 1.3 release version.

Back then I had to use part commander to access the spectrometron part menu without it duplicating everything. The only consistent thing that seems even slightly relevant is that both times I've had other science labs on the station (in addition to the station science lab). Back then it was a interstellar science lab, and this time it is a stock one. I've probably also had science reports in multiple parts, that's certainly the case this time, but I'm not sure about the first time.

Edited by TK421

• 2 months later...

I'm having a couple of issues, hopefully I'm just not doing something right. First is I have creature comforts pod attached to a kibbal contain, both attached to a zoology bay, and that's attached to a research lab and both are manned. I start the experience and get 30 eurekas but no bioproducts. What am I missing?

Also I'm confused about the MOS-LS, I look at it in the VAB and it looks like the standard manage operations UI I've used in Pathfinder. But once I launch, I no longer have a manage operations button and the only controls are start/stop lab time and ditto research. I don't see any way to complete experiments, clean out old ones, or start new ones. Any help appreciated.

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

I'm having a couple of issues, hopefully I'm just not doing something right. First is I have creature comforts pod attached to a kibbal contain, both attached to a zoology bay, and that's attached to a research lab and both are manned. I start the experience and get 30 eurekas but no bioproducts. What am I missing?

Have you ever managed to do any Station Science experiment? The usual procedure would be to click on the experiment and choose start, then right click both the regular and zoology labs and click start research. Then when the experiment is completed click finalize results on the experiment before returning the experiment pod to Kerbin.

2 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

Also I'm confused about the MOS-LS, I look at it in the VAB and it looks like the standard manage operations UI I've used in Pathfinder. But once I launch, I no longer have a manage operations button and the only controls are start/stop lab time and ditto research. I don't see any way to complete experiments, clean out old ones, or start new ones. Any help appreciated.

Is this from a different mod? I don't recognise the name.

11 minutes ago, tomf said:

Have you ever managed to do any Station Science experiment? The usual procedure would be to click on the experiment and choose start, then right click both the regular and zoology labs and click start research. Then when the experiment is completed click finalize results on the experiment before returning the experiment pod to Kerbin.

In one of those great examples of you can't figure something out until you ask someone, it was because I hadn't started research on the zoology module. Bioproducts are only generated if the zoology module is manned AND research is started.

13 minutes ago, tomf said:

Is this from a different mod? I don't recognise the name.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:48 PM, Akira_R said:

Well i went ahead and started my own patch.

StationScience compatibility patch

Current functionality:

• Research Lab added to BDB MOS-LS lab
  • Research Lab added to SSTU-SC-COS-LAB parts
  • Research Lab added to SSTU-SC-DOS-LAB
  • SSTU-SC-DOS-FEM duplicated and made a new zoology bay

I plan on including USI parts in this patch in the future.

I misread that and thought the BDB MOS-LS was part of SS. And of course because I asked about that one, I figured it out too - or at least a workaround. I still don't get the manage operations button when flying the space station, but if I send someone EVA and they move close to the MOS-LS module they'll get the manage operations button and through that I was able to complete a couple experiments.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.