[1.8] Station Science continued (v2.6.0)

tomf

On 10/29/2017 at 2:59 AM, vossiewulf said:

*snip*

I misread that and thought the BDB MOS-LS was part of SS. And of course because I asked about that one, I figured it out too - or at least a workaround. I still don't get the manage operations button when flying the space station, but if I send someone EVA and they move close to the MOS-LS module they'll get the manage operations button and through that I was able to complete a couple experiments.

Yeah I haven't updated that patch since ksp 1.2, I'll work on updating it this week @tomf would you like a PR on Git to include the patch or do you want it kept separate?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a bug where, upon docking a ship containing an experiment module (e.g. Creature Comforts) with a station containing the necessary generators (Zoology Lab and Research Lab) any contract objective with "Launch a new [e.g. Creature Comforts] module" gets undone. Possibly because of the original ship getting "removed" during docking process?

Workaround seems to be to use debug menu to complete contract.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎11 at 1:57 AM, atomicinf said:

There seems to be a bug where, upon docking a ship containing an experiment module (e.g. Creature Comforts) with a station containing the necessary generators (Zoology Lab and Research Lab) any contract objective with "Launch a new [e.g. Creature Comforts] module" gets undone. Possibly because of the original ship getting "removed" during docking process?

Workaround seems to be to use debug menu to complete contract.

Fellow user here.  Can you provide some documentation of a more-controlled recreation of this issue?  Or, could you provide me with more info about your KSP install and the game scenario where this happens to you so that I might attempt to recreate it myself on your behalf?  Pertinently, I'd at least need a minimum of a screenshot of the exact contract in question so that I can guarantee within my results that you and I were performing on the same contract.  (Also, what other contract mods were you running?  Was this a hybridized cross-mod contract that would require me to install other mods for testing purposes?)  Could you at least provide the .craft files of both the hosting station and the contract launcher?

I'd need more details from you, but preliminarily, I'm imagining creating a standalone KSP install on my system running this mod and no others.  Since you're discussing an actual contract-career, I can't use Sandbox or ScienceMode to do so, but I might savefile-edit myself some funds and science to unlock the tech and actual-launch the station into orbit, and perhaps from that point even video record the contract launch.

NEED from you:

Screenshot or other data to absolutely-hard-confirm that I'm dealing with the correct contract for testing purposes.
If apparent to you right away, also I'd need info on contract-relevant other mods to install.

WISHLIST from you:

Screenshot of mapview showing orbit of hosting station.
Flight-scene screenshot of host station, pre-contract.
Flight-scene screenshot of host station, during-contract.
Screenshot series to document the steps to go from initial arrival with contract-relevant equipment to bug occurence.
Video (or slideshow) of contract-relevant launch or launches.
Screenshot of KSC-scene -- in case facility upgrade levels are pertinent to bug behavior.
.craft for host station
.craft for contract-relevant launcher and payload.
Career savefile pre-contract.
Career savefile duplicate for during-bug-behavior.
Full modlist in your active playthrough that you were using to initially discover your bug report.
Full modlist that you used if you decided to generate any of this info for me after-the-fact with a reduced modlist.
Pertinent logfiles -- if multiple logfiles, please sort into well-labeled filenames or folders.
Other items as the opportunity presents itself to you.

NOTE: If you decide to run your own experiments and run into a scenario where, for example, removing a totally unrelated mod eliminates or CHANGES the bug from occurring, or a change you make sets it to occur but on a different contract, or it seems to randomly assert itself even on repeated triggers of the same contract, etc.... please provide your notes to that effect, I might be able to identify a detail that you could have missed.

Hi everybody. I have an issue with this mod. I first had similar issues as mentioned in previous post (docking and welding - but that is not that big issue as long as you can restart and really finish it), but now I am in orbit around Minmus, trying to finish contract "Retrograde Kuarks in orbit around Minmus" and keep getting "Location changed mid-experiment!". Apoapsis: 30747, Periapis: 29021. That seems to be transitioning low-high orbit: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Science#Celestial_body_multipliers but the contract does not speak about low/high orbit, just orbit!

Would it be possible to pause and resume the experiment instead of terminating it? Who is now maintaining the code? I could track the code from the string to KSP API, but do not see the reason for it yet (where the start-finish is, I see the line in statusUpdate with the check and terminate). I have created issue in kethernet's source: https://github.com/kethernet/StationScience/issues/8 but that is probably no longer maintained.

34418172-cdec6da6-ebfc-11e7-9629-40f0919

The front page for the mod contains this quote: "Make sure your station stays in the same location for the duration of the experiment. If in orbit, this means entirely above or below the low/high orbit altitude threshold, which is 250km around Kerbin. If the experiment moves to a new location prior to finalization, it will be aborted and you'll have to start it over."

Admittedly it's buried in a bit of a wall of text, but it's there.  Choose a single position, either high or low orbit and complete the research.

The results for station science are different for high and low orbits so if your orbit crosses the boundary it isn't clear which result you should get which is why it resets. The contract doesn't care which orbit environment you obtain the result for.

As fo the docking issue mentioned above, I haven't been able to reproduce it. If someone could provide a save file from just before the issue occurs with instructions of how they made it happen I'll investigate.

The active Git repository is https://github.com/tomforwood/StationScience by the way. I'm in a KSP rest phase at the moment, I intend to fix any significant bug and ensure that station science continues to be updated to new versions, but unless a new feature particularly excites me it isn't likely to be implemented by me. I am always open to source contributions though.

Well, I learned the hard way :D Luckily, I had a save few hours before this, where I still had the delivery engine attached, so, moved the station a bit (below 30km) and completed the contract.
I accept that it makes sense to terminate the experiment when conditions change - it is no longer the same experiment, although the boundary is too rigid, but allright, that is just how KSP works, not a fault of this mod.

• 1 month later...

I'm playing the game again, my rig is currently at Duna. The thing really is a dynamo for generating science, I'm using the lab from WarpTech with a data capacity of 1,000, and it's taking months to do the work. =P Anyway, I just wanted to say that the #2-Oversized dimensions of these parts do create some headaches for large vessel construction... My current starship weighs around 400 tons (and flies like a parade float, but I have a new design in the VAB...). What I'm getting at, is that my ship could be more compact and less wobbly if the parts were proper #3 or even #4 stack designs. I would like to point out that the MKS-Tundra and current starlifter command module parts have multiple sub-meshes, as in the parts actually reconfigure themselves based on which attach node you use. So either a new set of large diameter parts or a mesh-switch feature on the existing parts would really help build more satisfactory designs. 

2 minutes ago, AlonzoTG said:

I'm playing the game again, my rig is currently at Duna. The thing really is a dynamo for generating science, I'm using the lab from WarpTech with a data capacity of 1,000, and it's taking months to do the work. =P Anyway, I just wanted to say that the #2-Oversized dimensions of these parts do create some headaches for large vessel construction... My current starship weighs around 400 tons (and flies like a parade float, but I have a new design in the VAB...). What I'm getting at, is that my ship could be more compact and less wobbly if the parts were proper #3 or even #4 stack designs. I would like to point out that the MKS-Tundra and current starlifter command module parts have multiple sub-meshes, as in the parts actually reconfigure themselves based on which attach node you use. So either a new set of large diameter parts or a mesh-switch feature on the existing parts would really help build more satisfactory designs. 

Waaaay beyond my modelling skill. Last time I tried I managed to create a cube. I inherited these models from someone else.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering if Im doing something wrong? I've put a science lab in orbit and attached a plant module to it, but nothing seems to be working. Not producing Eurekas and nothing is selectable on the plant mod. I watched Scott Manleys video and he had 'Start Research' on his.

Is it just a career thing as im playing in science mode.

yeah, the thing does need to be powered and have a suitable research staff, works ok with 3 scientists...

I'm really late stage game right now, my rig is on it's way from Duna to Dres (took about a ten minute burn to launch from Duna), the thing is carrying both labs, two cyclotrons, a rig with one of each of the experiments, two stock-like laboratory modules, and a few other experiments... The thing weighs about 500 tons... I have two other missions to dres right now, a resource scanner (to try to use the ISRU unit on the rig) and a contract plant growth experiment... I'm not sure where I'm going to park the thing when I'm done with it, maybe above Tylo or even Eeloo...

14 hours ago, AdamLWestwood said:

I'm wondering if Im doing something wrong? I've put a science lab in orbit and attached a plant module to it, but nothing seems to be working. Not producing Eurekas and nothing is selectable on the plant mod. I watched Scott Manleys video and he had 'Start Research' on his.

Is it just a career thing as im playing in science mode.

Do you have scientists in the lab?

Have you clicked "start experiment" in the plant growth experiment?

14 minutes ago, tomf said:

Do you have scientists in the lab?

Have you clicked "start experiment" in the plant growth experiment?

I had scientists in the lab yes, but there was no Start Experiment on the plant growth. There was nothing at all no pop up on the plant growth. 

All that was available on the science lab was crew report. Nothing about experiments or researching. This is why I was wondering if I've missed anything. 

1 hour ago, AdamLWestwood said:

I had scientists in the lab yes, but there was no Start Experiment on the plant growth. There was nothing at all no pop up on the plant growth. 

All that was available on the science lab was crew report. Nothing about experiments or researching. This is why I was wondering if I've missed anything. 

That sounds weird. the only thing I can think of is that somehow the mod is installed incorrectly.

Perhaps a screenshot would help.

2 hours ago, tomf said:

That sounds weird. the only thing I can think of is that somehow the mod is installed incorrectly.

Perhaps a screenshot would help.

Yes I'll get you one in a moment. I do have 2 copies for some reason in my downloads folder. One file with just 'stationscience.zip' (GitHub download) and the other 'stationscience-2.0.zip' (don't know where I downloaded it but that seems an older version as files dated 2016. Will put the github version on now and try again.

As I said I'm playing in science mode not career mode. I'm not to sure whether its a mod just related to career with mods.

Edited by AdamLWestwood
Added some informatio

2 hours ago, AdamLWestwood said:

Yes I'll get you one in a moment. I do have 2 copies for some reason in my downloads folder. One file with just 'stationscience.zip' (GitHub download) and the other 'stationscience-2.0.zip' (don't know where I downloaded it but that seems an older version as files dated 2016. Will put the github version on now and try again.

As I said I'm playing in science mode not career mode. I'm not to sure whether its a mod just related to career with mods.

It's working now. I think it was because I had the wrong mod in. The one I had was missing the MKSEffects config file.

• 2 weeks later...

I've released a new version built against KSP 1.4. The new version also adds internationalization support so if anyone wants to volunteer translations please get in touch.

Hey everyone,

I´m having a problem with this mod while doing prograde and retrograde science. I got a station up in one launch. Got the Cyclotron up and runing (2 of them) a prograde and retrograde science module, reasearches. I start the Cyclotron and one of the researches retrograde one as when I click on prograde and click on start, nothing happens. I click start reasearch on the lab also and it starts, all good now. Now the Kuaraqs start producing and I get 24 of them as 24 is the max I can hold. And thats it, I cant do anything else. I cant finish results, I cant start the otehr science module. Nothing.

Any help? Am I doing something wrong?

I tried low altitudes and high altitudes. 250k+ and 250k-

I tried more combinations of the modules

I tried More scientists

Clicking the finalize reulsts button viaEVA (only way to make it appear) doesnt do anything.

Also, Im at 1.4.1 version

Do my scientists have to have more than 1star? 

gRjTtZF.png

https://i.imgur.com/D262Mc5.pngD262Mc5.png

Edited by korniton
Images

Hi, love the mod and thanks for maintaining and continuing it!

When I get all the parts up and complete an experiment I got 50 science, yay! I sent up another experiment, completed it, and I get 0 science! Was very excited to see this mod is "designed to be integrated into a permanent space station" but this seems completely untrue by function.

Is this correct behavior? Seems like the entire station will be full of completely useless parts once each experiment type is run. I guess a roving science train could have good benefit but all the parts are rendered useless and inert unless they can move.

Is there a way to reset the science manually or via future mod version to rerun experiments from the same biome/station? I think this is possible in engine, but maybe someday could implement diminshing returns.

• 2 weeks later...

After a four year transfer up from Dres, I finally got my rig into Joolean space. My game is very unstable these last few days, many crashes, and "validate assignments" bugs... not sure at all what the cause is. =\ 

Anyway, I did the insertion burn and it was time to fire up the experiment modules, Anything involving the cyclotrons wasn't registering. The eureka system seemed functional though. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1343234880

[ note the mission elapsed time in the screenshot] 

console barf: 

[ERR 19:54:45.906] [RESOURCES] - Error in - BaseConverter_GetDeltaTime - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 at BaseConverter.GetBestDeltaTime (Double deltaTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  
 at BaseConverter.GetDeltaTime () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  

[ERR 19:54:45.918] [RESOURCES] - Error in - BaseConverter_GetDeltaTime - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
 at BaseConverter.GetBestDeltaTime (Double deltaTime) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  

[ERR 19:54:45.919] [RESOURCES] - Error in - BaseConverter_GetDeltaTime - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[ERR 19:54:46.003] [RESOURCES] - Error in - BaseConverter_GetDeltaTime - System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.