[1.8] Station Science continued (v2.6.0)

tomf

• 1 month later...

1 minute ago, Stone Blue said:

@tomf can i safely assume v2.5.3 (latest release) is for KSP 1.7.0? vOv

The latest release was compiled against 1.6 but I'd be amazed if it didn't work fine with 1.7

7 hours ago, EngineerMartijn said:

Would it be possible to add some new experiments to Station Science?? I know there have been some people that tried to add items but then the designs where totally different. Perhaps something with fuel or so.

I'm not playing KSP at the moment so I'm not going to implement anything new myself. If you are a modder and you create something new I might consider including it.

• 5 months later...

I hope someone who knows the inner mechanisms of this mod can help me. The experiments can only be done in Kerbin orbit, right? But what if your homeplanet is not Kerbin? I'm playing Real Solar System and it won't allow me to start them on Earth orbit. I've been having a look at the cfg files to see if I can spot this limitation somewhere and change it, but so far I've been unable to find it.

Does anybody know where is the restriction? Thanks.

On 10/24/2019 at 1:54 PM, Carquinyoli said:

I hope someone who knows the inner mechanisms of this mod can help me. The experiments can only be done in Kerbin orbit, right? But what if your homeplanet is not Kerbin? I'm playing Real Solar System and it won't allow me to start them on Earth orbit. I've been having a look at the cfg files to see if I can spot this limitation somewhere and change it, but so far I've been unable to find it.

Does anybody know where is the restriction? Thanks.

No, experiments can be done in orbit around different bodies and received difference science payouts for doing them around different bodies. It is not limited only to Kerbin.

On 10/27/2019 at 4:22 AM, AdjectiveNounNumber said:

Is there any chance that the mod will work in 1.8? I know nothing about code or modding, so forgive the stupid question.

Well, there's certainly a chance :sticktongue: but this mod contains a .dll which certainly will lower the odds that it'll work.  At a minimum, it'll need recompiling against 1.8 and the new Unity engine.

Notwithstanding oniontrain's comment, I would also recommend waiting and continuing to play KSP 1.7.3 while we give the mod authors some time to catch up.  And by "some time", I mean it could be weeks or months before they can find the time (I'm just setting an expectation here).  They have real lives, too.

As noted above, it might, but it's quite likely not to.

The only way to know for sure is to try it.  Every player has a different set of mods, and the way they may all interact is unique.  One of the great things about KSP, though, is that you can make multiple copies of it and try out different mods, without endangering your primary install.  This even extends to installs of different versions, so you can continue in 1.7.3 while trying out mods on 1.8.x.

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/30/2019 at 4:24 AM, Brigadier said:

Well, there's certainly a chance :sticktongue: but this mod contains a .dll which certainly will lower the odds that it'll work.  At a minimum, it'll need recompiling against 1.8 and the new Unity engine.

Notwithstanding oniontrain's comment, I would also recommend waiting and continuing to play KSP 1.7.3 while we give the mod authors some time to catch up.  And by "some time", I mean it could be weeks or months before they can find the time (I'm just setting an expectation here).  They have real lives, too.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:42 AM, razark said:

As noted above, it might, but it's quite likely not to.

The only way to know for sure is to try it.  Every player has a different set of mods, and the way they may all interact is unique.  One of the great things about KSP, though, is that you can make multiple copies of it and try out different mods, without endangering your primary install.  This even extends to installs of different versions, so you can continue in 1.7.3 while trying out mods on 1.8.x.

On 10/30/2019 at 2:42 AM, oniontrain said:

Only way to know is to try it and see, 1.7 to 1.8 is on a new Unity version but some stuff works and other stuff doesn't.

So I tried it out on a clean 1.8 install and it worked. Thanks for the advice.

Once my other mods are updated, I'll have another go to confirm.

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2019 at 9:33 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Nice, I'll have to add this to my new career game

I think it will need a recompile, tried adding it to a heavily modded version, got stock on game load. don't have the log files to report anything but i think a recompile is needed

• 2 weeks later...

Updated to 1.8!

I haven't been dead but I haven't been playing 1.8 as I need Kopernicus to update but I've given up waiting and released a 1.8 version

As well as supporting 1.8 station science now

• supports generating contracts for bodies other than the default KSP ones
  • supports not having Kerbin as the home body (untested)
  • New contracts don't require newly launched experiment modules - if you are organised and send all the experiments in advance of getting contracts for them that's ok with me. 

6 hours ago, tomf said:

I haven't been dead but I haven't been playing 1.8 as I need Kopernicus to update but I've given up waiting and released a 1.8 version

Man... Let me give you a hug. I haven't realy played 1.8 yet just because I can't live without OPM and Kerbol Origins.
It's good to know that this little expansion is alive! 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I've run into a bug... or I've done something wrong.  Both completely plausible.  I've got a station around Minmus with a Science Lab, Zoology, the creature comfort experiment and kibble.  My guys have completed the experiment and have "finalized" it.  I managed to dock the experiment with my return craft and scientists, returned to Kerbin, and recovered the craft with the science however the contract still states that the experiment wasn't completed around Minmus despite my gathering the juicy 400 science from the return trip.  I was kind of counting on the return on credits from investing in said station in orbit over Minmus.  Any ideas why the contracts not completing for me?

edit: So I've realized on my save that so long as the creature comforts experiment is attached to the station the criteria for the contract is met. As soon as I undock the experiment to dock with my return craft, it is no longer considered complete.  Why exactly is that? Its rather impractical to return an entire station to Kerbin to fulfill the contract.

Edited by GrimT

On 1/30/2020 at 5:08 AM, GrimT said:

I believe I've run into a bug... or I've done something wrong.  Both completely plausible.  I've got a station around Minmus with a Science Lab, Zoology, the creature comfort experiment and kibble.  My guys have completed the experiment and have "finalized" it.  I managed to dock the experiment with my return craft and scientists, returned to Kerbin, and recovered the craft with the science however the contract still states that the experiment wasn't completed around Minmus despite my gathering the juicy 400 science from the return trip.  I was kind of counting on the return on credits from investing in said station in orbit over Minmus.  Any ideas why the contracts not completing for me?

edit: So I've realized on my save that so long as the creature comforts experiment is attached to the station the criteria for the contract is met. As soon as I undock the experiment to dock with my return craft, it is no longer considered complete.  Why exactly is that? Its rather impractical to return an entire station to Kerbin to fulfill the contract.

That does sound like a bug and I have no idea what is causing it. Would you be able to pm me a save file so I can try to reproduce? I'll need to know what other mods are required to load the save.

On 1/30/2020 at 6:08 AM, GrimT said:

I belive that it is due to how contract configurator works on all contracts. When you undock, your return craft is renamed automaticaly to something like ship/probe with some name.
Try to use PAW on command module and rename that ship to be "space station", despite you don't have any space station module on it. CC alghoritam is stupid enough in some scenarios, so that will be enough. Unless in contract is stated that craft need to have some exact part to fulfil contract.

Above is based on my experience with some other contracts, not exact contract with Station Science. I don't think that something is wrong with Station Science, but rather how contracts are configured to be generated with CC for Station Science parts.

Try above advice to see if helps and picture of contract requirements might help a lot to narrow down issue

I cannot finish even the very first experiment-contract (adding the parts worked)

Spoiler

unknown.png

Finished when docked with Kerbin Station, the "Complete in orbit..." checked when finalized, temporarily unched when undocked, but only because the station was focused,
checked again when I swithed to the return-probe and here I am splashed 7km from KSC, but the contract is not completed when I recover the vessel.

Nothing in the log:

[LOG 20:09:55.628] [VesselRecovery]: PlantGrEx recovered 7.3Km from KSC. Recovery Value: 97.7%
[LOG 20:09:55.628] [Research & Development]: +2 data on Plant Growth while in space near Kerbin. 45 Science added. Subject value is 0.00
[LOG 20:09:55.629] [Research & Development]: +1 data on Recovery of a vessel returned from Kerbin orbit.. Subject value is 0.00

10 hours ago, kcs123 said:

I belive that it is due to how contract configurator works on all contracts. When you undock, your return craft is renamed automaticaly to something like ship/probe with some name...

Had some problems with CC as well. Not a problem with this experiment, but CC seem to use two systems for tracking vessels, one uses GUID and secondary part-hashes (ContractVesselTracker), that appear to work well for docking and undocking, but the problem seems to be that vesselName is usually used as a tracking key (ContractVesselTracker.AssociateVessel, e.g. from VesselParameterGroup or Docking) and that breaks the contract. I can confirm that I once (recetly) fixed one contract by renaming (my "Kerbin Station" has OKTO configured with name "Kerbin Station Core" so the station renamed to Core when undocked, breaking the contract, but renaming it again to Kerbin Station helped). Worth a try.

Anyway I am still learning how CC works, any idea where to look?
I can access the contract from our REPL, here is the ConfigNode:

Spoiler

{
    guid = 962adebf-a1a1-4a6e-a757-39ab2ad7dd7d
    type = StnSciContract
    prestige = 0
    seed = 777643968
    state = Active
    viewed = Read
    agent = Moving Parts Experts Group
    agentName = Moving Parts Experts Group
    deadlineType = Floating
    expiryType = Floating
    values = 124579.454547772,37149591.6590689,111261.596868897,350474.014220925,289169.981460572,20,18.49458,48.07692,1203206.0151062,1112709.30787106,38262300.96694,0
    targetBody = Kerbin
    experimentType = StnSciExperiment1
    value = 1
    PARAM
    {
        name = StnSciParameter
        state = Incomplete
        disableOnStateChange = False
        values = 0,0,0,0,0
        targetBody = Kerbin
        experimentType = StnSciExperiment1
        PARAM
        {
            name = DoExperimentParameter
            state = Complete
            values = 0,0,0,0,0
        }
        PARAM
        {
            name = ReturnExperimentParameter
            state = Incomplete
            values = 0,0,0,0,0
        }
    }
}

P.S. Just loaded the save with the "Kerbin Station Core" problem and the contract completed instantly. Restarted KSP and loaded the save with the Planth Growth experiment, but still does not complete. So I am just going to mark it as complete in Alt+F12:

Spoiler

unknown.png

Edited by firda

13 minutes ago, firda said:

Had some problems with CC as well. Not a problem with this experiment, but CC seem to use two systems for tracking vessels, one uses GUID and secondary part-hashes (ContractVesselTracker), that appear to work well for docking and undocking, but the problem seems to be that vesselName is usually used as a tracking key (ContractVesselTracker.AssociateVessel, e.g. from VesselParameterGroup or Docking) and that breaks the contract. I can confirm that I once (recetly) fixed one contract by renaming (my "Kerbin Station" has OKTO configured with name "Kerbin Station Core" so the station renamed to Core when undocked, breaking the contract, but renaming it again to Kerbin Station helped). Worth a try.

Anyway I am still learning how CC works, any idea where to look?

I'm glad that it helped to rename ship, at least some kind of workaround. What can also help is to click on "[+] Note" to reveal all details on contract requirements. Some of those may change on (un)docking and when ship is renamed.

Can't help you much how CC works, I bothered with some of contract mods when I discovered exceptions in logs and searching how to fix those. But, best bet is to check CC thread and github source code to get better info how it works internaly. Might be possible to change how contract is generated to avoid such issue, but also it is possible that something have to be changed within CC and even in KSP code to fix such issue.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:15 AM, tomf said:

That does sound like a bug and I have no idea what is causing it. Would you be able to pm me a save file so I can try to reproduce? I'll need to know what other mods are required to load the save.

Got a pretty modded game 86(ish?) I ended up using dev mode (i think thats what its called) to mark the contract complete after returning the experiment.  Its cheaty but not really at the same time I suppose, considering I met all criteria.

On 2/2/2020 at 4:28 AM, kcs123 said:

I belive that it is due to how contract configurator works on all contracts. When you undock, your return craft is renamed automaticaly to something like ship/probe with some name.
Try to use PAW on command module and rename that ship to be "space station", despite you don't have any space station module on it. CC alghoritam is stupid enough in some scenarios, so that will be enough. Unless in contract is stated that craft need to have some exact part to fulfil contract.

Above is based on my experience with some other contracts, not exact contract with Station Science. I don't think that something is wrong with Station Science, but rather how contracts are configured to be generated with CC for Station Science parts.

Try above advice to see if helps and picture of contract requirements might help a lot to narrow down issue

I have another similar experiment that needs to be performed on the station so if it occurs again with that one, I'll give this a try and see if it works.

The other contract was to just complete creature comforts on the station in orbit of minmus, contract said completed until I undocked the experiment.  Its worth giving your advice next time (if there is one) though.

32 minutes ago, GrimT said:

I have another similar experiment that needs to be performed on the station so if it occurs again with that one, I'll give this a try and see if it works.

The other contract was to just complete creature comforts on the station in orbit of minmus, contract said completed until I undocked the experiment.  Its worth giving your advice next time (if there is one) though.

It worked:

20 hours ago, firda said:

(my "Kerbin Station" has OKTO configured with name "Kerbin Station Core" so the station renamed to Core when undocked, breaking the contract, but renaming it again to Kerbin Station helped).

Solution is to trick CC that returning ship is "station" that was around celestial body for X amount of time or whatever requirement is, or "main" craft for contract requirement. Whatever part of ship that remains in orbit should be considered as "probe", "debris" or something that is not important piece of craft for given mission. Unfortunately KSP by default use bigger craft in terms of mass and part counts to be "main" craft after undocking. That can confuse CC contracts.

22 hours ago, firda said:

I cannot finish even the very first experiment-contract (adding the parts worked)

https://github.com/tomforwood/StationScience/pull/4

On 1/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, tomf said:

Updated to 1.8!

As well as supporting 1.8 station science now

• supports generating contracts for bodies other than the default KSP ones
  • supports not having Kerbin as the home body (untested)
  • New contracts don't require newly launched experiment modules - if you are organised and send all the experiments in advance of getting contracts for them that's ok with me. 

I believe you just overlooked that condition (launch is zero since you disabled the OnVesselCreated logic ... or at least I assume you did that reading the change log).

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

It worked:

Solution is to trick CC that returning ship is "station" that was around celestial body for X amount of time or whatever requirement is, or "main" craft for contract requirement. Whatever part of ship that remains in orbit should be considered as "probe", "debris" or something that is not important piece of craft for given mission. Unfortunately KSP by default use bigger craft in terms of mass and part counts to be "main" craft after undocking. That can confuse CC contracts.

It worked for me on some CC-managed contract (Contract Pack: Stations and Bases .. or maybe Tourism Plus), but I think CC is not managing science experiments from this mod (CP:SaB has some conditions for this mod to include THNKR, but that is all, this mods manages its own contracts in its own way). KSP appear to first prefer station over ship and then mass, so now I am trying to keep it in mind and keep changing the type of station addons to ship (not to break CC/CP:SaB contracts).

2 hours ago, GrimT said:

What version of KSP and mod are you using? Did not test undocking and redocking to return probe, launched the experiment as one ship, docked, completed, undocked, landed and now, with my fix, it completes (you can find the dll in my firda branch if you are impatient).

57 minutes ago, firda said:

What version of KSP and mod are you using? Did not test undocking and redocking to return probe, launched the experiment as one ship, docked, completed, undocked, landed and now, with my fix, it completes (you can find the dll in my firda branch if you are impatient).

Version 1.8 of the mod and the most 1.8 of KSP.  This career was actually started on 1.7 and I noticed all of the mods I use were updated to 1.8 so gave a mid-game upgrade a shot because of the performance upgrades the new update provided.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.