Constant crashing during Revert Flight and KSPedia

System:

Windows XP, 32-bit, 4GB ram, Core i5
KSP version 1.2.2.1622 (Fresh install)
Graphics settings: Normal

Problem:

KSPedia crash in VAB. Constant crashing during Revert Flight. No problems during flight.

Error reports:

73% memory in use.
3542 MB physical memory [932 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
2048 MB user address space [106 MB free].
Write to location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Solving the problem:

Tried lower graphis settings, no effect
Tried to limit affinity, no effect
Tried DEP option (NoExecute), no effect
Tried PAE option, no effect
Tried 3GB option, problem solved

[boot.ini]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /PAE /3GB

Side effect: Windows desktop 2D hardware acceleration not working any more. Launcher.exe does not start (Failed to initialize Direct3D).

Question:

Because I can not use this 3GB setup in normal use due to side effects, is there any other options to try to minimize memory consumption below 2GB, which seems to be the standard upper limit for any 32-bit software? Maybe you should add this option also to the topic 83211-known-issues-amp-self-help.

More info:

Later I tried option -force-opengl in 2GB mode and got immediate crash. In 3GB mode it seems to run OpenGL because 3GB option disables Direct 3D.

Edited by arisoft
More side effects found.

Hi arisoft, the setting that has the biggest effect on memory is the texture quality, if you have not already done so I suggest setting it to eighth res.

Unfortunately KSP is close to the limit of the resources that a 32bit Windows OS will make available, is upgrading to a 64bit OS an option for you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.