Astarael III: A Jool 5 Mission

septemberWaves

After a few weeks away due to studying, I return to the forums with a Jool 5 attempt. I've analyzed the reasons why I've failed in the past, most of which can be summed up as being too ambitious with vehicle designs (too much unneeded mass), but now I think I've found a way to do it whilst maintaining a good aesthetic.

Mod List:

Spoiler

I'm not absolutely sure that all of these mods are used, but they're all installed because I thought I might use them.

• B9 Part Switch
  • Color Coded Cannisters
  • Colorful Fuel Lines
  • Community Resource Pack
  • DMagic Orbital Science
  • Editor Extensions Redux
  • Final Frontier
  • Firespitter Fuel Switch
  • Fuel Tanks Plus
  • GPO Speed Fuel Pump
  • Interstellar Fuel Switch
  • Kerbal Alarm Clock
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement
  • Lithobraking Exploration Technologies
  • MechJeb 2
  • Modular Rocket Systems
  • Near Future (Construction, Solar, Spacecraft)
  • RLA Stockalike
  • SCANsat
  • SpaceY Expanded
  • SpaceY Heavy Lifters
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion
  • Trajectories
  • TRP Hire
  • Vx Series II Engine Pack

Now, I present Astarael III, the mothership that will undertake this Jool expedition.

eGBjXic.jpg

Here is its launch and orbital assembly:

Spoiler

zM1Vj9D.jpg

Astarael III propulsion module on the launch pad.

3mkMygw.jpg

With UI visible.

Gy2UAsE.jpg

Liftoff is successful.

dM5mbIt.jpg

NVNaiHS.jpg

Control is a bit iffy at first, but the rocket soon returns to its optimal trajectory.

NulT0RV.jpg

BQk2rWh.jpg

pDmmvSu.jpg

6aZrFSb.jpg

Here I changed an autopilot setting to avoid staging the fairing.

n4iYyJV.jpg

lPa16BR.jpg

ijlswWn.jpg

Acceleration is limited to 30m/s to ensure that control is maintained.

c0RbQkpr.jpg

First stage cutoff.

ErCpoWt.jpg

First stage separation.

WyAXSuo.jpg

IiO2eHY.jpg

Fairing separation.

dmcAm06.jpg

The nuclear thermal propulsion module is equivalent to 20 stock nuclear engines, clustered in fours by Modular Rocket Systems to reduce part count.

YzO956p.jpg

Mp0ECHA.jpg

Circularization burn takes a long time. I should've aimed for a higher apoapsis.

98rAWPA.jpg

iDDv3XZ.jpg

kAZF6Bd.jpg

BWgFCJS.jpg

nfPECg9.jpg

MezP6KY.jpg

After several minutes of burning, it appears that the vehicle is going to dip back into the atmosphere briefly.

GA8A0by.jpg

A final periapsis of 67km is tolerable (I don't know what's going on with the trajectories mod here).

mK86VQP.jpg

Qoii6gM.jpg

DwiddUb.jpg

StxCg3Q.jpg

QqAzC1v.jpg

Once back in space, a series of maneuvers are executed to move to a stable 150km parking orbit.

Back on Kerbin, the command module of Astarael III is prepared for launch. The Tylo lander is launched connected to this part of the mothership, as it is inconvenient to launch independently. This launch is crewed by Sigline Kerman, Kerlinne Kerman, Kimberta Kerman, and Jentrice Kerman. Valentina will join them in orbit later.

2MTFNKV.jpg

The Astarael III command module on the launch pad.

mxdpv8v.jpg

With UI visible.

Pf8nTpk.jpg

Ignition.

mkJkgXH.jpg

Liftoff is successful.

dYbMsfp.jpg

sLI3gR6.jpg

7nuxg6r.jpg

YrfYq3F.jpg

3lHhL4Q.jpg

pfg5PSG.jpg

76n6D1S.jpg

Phl153O.jpg

Ascent is nominal.

gdtArci.jpg

4puMYdA.jpg

zgZHd2t.jpg

juCAxc3.jpg

Main engine cutoff, first stage separation.

t6zFTUY.jpg

Upper stage ignition.

lk6LvyZ.jpg

Tp4thAZ.jpg

Engine cutoff as intended apoapsis is reached.

DRmgYkH.jpg

Fairing separation.

A67DAnQ.jpg

WH5roK4.jpg

eMJgpGf.jpg

Solar panels extend and the circularization maneuver is plotted.

2rUjvRr.jpg

Circularizing.

ZIw6pf1.jpg

f4hLof5.jpg

Circularization complete.

cmSxbBH.jpg

YWy9DJw.jpg

NmWuLQr.jpg

QFSFOmR.jpg

5p0Nw7C.jpg

k2F3hgY.jpg

yLWg9OJ.jpg

QKN8xNh.jpg

PgI5HQr.jpg

dFJqwdz.jpg

wCtBosu.jpg

A series of maneuvers are executed to rendezvous with the propulsion module.

HLCl2ze.jpg

fCBbK4k.jpg

h6LA7lE.jpg

VbopnYS.jpg

The upper stage of the launch vehicle is separated and de-orbited.

6gfpkXh.jpg

Targeting the propulsion module docking port.

YVch4Ei.jpg

SQ5fQIr.jpg

JeVG6qU.jpg

Preparing to dock.

fxAJpqx.jpg

z2wywMv.jpg

XlsNJ2F.jpg

2kgM3Dl.jpg

vLxf3h1.jpg

I adjusted the docking angle to ensure that the solar panels are not at risk.

JIAA7s4.jpg

NCOGMLm.jpg

B8m36Hy.jpg

k3zur7D.jpg

Docking is successful.

8TWqA9v.jpg

qhlWhHF.jpg

KKm1Vez.jpg

bqqRHQP.jpg

BS3pxku.jpg

Upper stage of the propulsion module launch vehicle is detached and de-orbited.

8ICFYeS.jpg

Astarael III in orbit of Kerbin. Attached in front of the cupola is the Tylo lander. Behind the crew module (which is also the Kerbin return capsule) is the cargo truss. This is where the Laythe plane and the lander for Vall, Bop, and Pol will be attached. There is also a small fuel tank for refuelling the Vall/Bop/Pol lander.

Lots of pics to dig through, but your craft looks really reasonable, a tenth or less of docs is sure sufficient for a viable entry.
Good luck, give Tylo a kick! Don`t hit the mountain tops...:D I just gave your 666. like. Yes.

Edited by Mikki
spell

@Mikki My Tylo lander is actually the one I'm most confident with. It has I think about 800m/s more delta-v than it needs, it's wide enough that it's not going to topple even on relatively steep inclinations, and there's no need to worry about a ladder because the seat is so close to the ground that a kerbal can board it without having to climb up.

I have a similar degree of confidence in my Laythe plane, considering the fact that in testing I was able to fly it all the way to Kerbin orbit with some delta-v to spare. Landing it on Laythe could be an issue though depending on whether I can find a flat enough space, but it has drogue chutes to help it slow down.

The lander that I'm least confident with is the reusable one for Vall, Bop, and Pol. It has plenty of delta-v for the job, I just haven't tested it much.

Launch of the Laythe plane

I decided to take the spaceplane approach for Laythe. However, it can't quite reach Kerbin orbit with enough delta-v to rendezvous with Astarael III, so I had to use a different approach. Valentina pilots this launch, and is the fifth and final kerbal to embark on this Jool 5 mission.

3rKoEls.jpg

Spoiler

wzA1Ljn.jpg

Launching the Laythe plane like the space shuttle was perhaps not the ideal approach. It did prove to be effective, however. The liquid fuel tank for atmospheric use is empty, and the entire shuttle will be refuelled by a separate vehicle once docked to Astarael III.

AEhlCFe.jpg

Ignition.

dKLgRmV.jpg

Liftoff is successful. Much like my Space Shuttle Valery, this shuttle has to pitch up immediately upon launch to counteract the off-balance thrust vector. The Vector engine means that this is not a problem.

cAYo3xq.jpg

0VGmB2F.jpg

t1uKElW.jpg

EffUPQr.jpg

The high thrust of the Vector engine means that acceleration is high, but conveniently MechJeb has a feature that allows for limiting acceleration to reduce drag losses.

p3T0AA6.jpg

IrZ76Gu.jpg

Quu7gj9.jpg

ZHJB4xD.jpg

HOUId45.jpg

Ascent continues nominally.

jXXhIuK.jpg

vrPBQu1.jpg

jEMhlHh.jpg

The vehicle becomes unstable once its nearly out of fuel, as the center of mass is beyond the 10° vectoring range of the engine. I deactivated the autopilot and separated the launch vehicle, and then reactivated the autopilot. The rapier engine on the plane is used to complete orbit.

ose2aKU.jpg

Main engine cutoff as 80km apoapsis is reached.

zmzbFyM.jpg

rlGn7Yr.jpg

The shuttle has some small solar panels to stop it from running out of electric charge during atmospheric flight, as the rapier engine unfortunately lacks an alternator. I had issues with the prototype where it had to glide to a landing approach whilst fully unpowered, which worked somehow but was not ideal.

oJaptQ2.jpg

fJeCOsQ.jpg

Circularization maneuver is successful.

Once in orbit, the plane executes several maneuvers to rendezvous with Astarael III.

kcDfL3F.jpg

497e3HY.jpg

XEL1BvO.jpg

VxFX0KL.jpg

oO98mbA.jpg

UyVLRdE.jpg

The plane approaches Astarael III.

oyqCXcD.jpg

I switch to Astarael III briefly to change the Smart A.S.S settings. I usually set my motherships to constantly point prograde (with a roll setting that's good for screenshots), but this makes docking inconvenient as it requires constant compensation for the rotation.

ZCJ6BhU.jpg

The docking port on the Laythe plane faces downward relative to the plane, because that was the best way to attach it to the mothership. The RCS ports are the small ones from RLA Stockalike, and there are some in front of the docking port and some on the wing tips.

YgYBB31.jpg

After MechJeb's autopilot used far too much monopropellant to maneuver into place, I decided to dock manually.

9y1AdxJ.jpg

Approaching using the rapier engine rather than the RCS thrusters. This made maneuvering into position a pain.

vEY4N5g.jpg

s9gmqdV.jpg

5BnNFW9.jpg

rQ3wCR4.jpg

vmSRZ9d.jpg

This docking took place at a bad angle, so I transferred some monopropellant into the plane and undocked to try again.

o90sUyq.jpg

Xsq0Vqj.jpg

H4UBFB7.jpg

nDuVc4q.jpg

Docking successful, but as is clear in this screenshot it was still not optimal.

D3Y02zG.jpg

JHODQPL.jpg

L1129Yy.jpg

U4hrHwX.jpg

The final docking approach was successful, and the plane is about as well-aligned as I can make it with a manual docking maneuver.

XrKnyB6.jpg

Astarael III waits in orbit for the next launch.

39 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Just curious, why not use a pair of PB-NUK's on the spaceplane instead of solar panels?

Solar panels look better and are cheaper.

18 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

I am not him but they are good at overheating and are expensive.

*her. And to my knowledge the RTGs don't overheat, my main reason for not using them was appearances.

Just now, eloquentJane said:

Solar panels look better and are cheaper.

*her. And to my knowledge the RTGs don't overheat, my main reason for not using them was appearances.

Sorry about that.. for me RTGs overheat for reentry reasons with my space-planes. 

Just now, Thor Wotansen said:

For spaceplanes, a little rule of thumb I've found is that you can get to orbit with one Mk 1 liquid fuel tank and one of those long 1.25m LFO tanks for each rapier.  Obviously for Laythe that's a little OP but a little extra fuel for rendezvous never hurt.

The plane was designed for Laythe rather than Kerbin. With a bit more overengineering I could've probably made it able to reach Kerbin orbit with the spare 300-ish m/s of delta-v needed to rendezvous with Astarael III in its 150km parking orbit, but then I would've had to make Astarael III itself carry more fuel to propel the more massive spaceplane to the Jool system. The plane can actually get to an 80km parking orbit around Kerbin as it is (and I spent quite a while playing around with fuel quantities in order for it to be able to do that), it just can't get any further than that. And because of its low mass it actually uses significantly less fuel than you're suggesting (it's only about 8.1 tonnes when fully fueled).

15 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Ah, make's sense.  I've been designing a Jool mission ans I have a spaceplane for Laythe that's a little bigger, but that's because I want 2 kerbals on it, so I went with a Mk 2 plane.

I guessed yours would be a bigger plane from that fuel amount. I'm going for a 3rd level challenge, so I only need to land one kerbal on each moon as long as they're different kerbals (hence why Astarael III has such a large crew section). At some point I'll probably send a much larger Jool 5 mission, but that won't be for a while.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:38 PM, DerekL1963 said:

Just curious, why not use a pair of PB-NUK's on the spaceplane instead of solar panels?

Not to mention that for a plane this size, two RTGs would be a significant extra bit of dead weight.  As it is it looks good and the shuttle style launch was very creative!

On 1/16/2017 at 2:14 PM, sdj64 said:

As it is it looks good and the shuttle style launch was very creative!

I'm glad you liked it. I was considering using a drop-tank with extra liquid fuel and oxidizer, but I figured the shuttle would be more interesting.

On 1/17/2017 at 0:01 AM, DerekL1963 said:

I'm just concerned about solar at Jool...  I had big problems with that while I was developing my landers.

My Laythe plane can ascend on just battery power (I know because it's actually capable of being a Kerbin SSTO, it just couldn't then reach the parking orbit of Astarael III), and it can land with the limited trickle of power provided by the solar panels. The mothership has a lot of power storage so it should be fine. The Tylo and Vall/Bop/Pol landers use tiny RTGs, but knowing the power consumption and the way similar landers work I would guess that they are capable of landing and returning on their own battery power. I haven't actually tested any of them at their destinations because Hyperedit seems to cause difficulties and something else installed seems to be breaking the stock cheat menu, but I'm confident enough that they'll work.

6 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

My Laythe plane can ascend on just battery power (I know because it's actually capable of being a Kerbin SSTO, it just couldn't then reach the parking orbit of Astarael III), and it can land with the limited trickle of power provided by the solar panels. 

Jane, really like the design of that little spaceplane--however I think you may have more trouble than you expect with solar power in the Jool system. Remember, insolation drops off with the square of the distance from the sun, and Jool is quite distant. In addition, nights are very long on moons which are tidally locked to Jool. Also, eclipses happen with some frequency. Fun times!

I think you can still make it down and up, though. Do you even need batteries for descent? I don't believe control surfaces use electricity--maybe enable SAS, if you need it, but turn off all the reaction wheels which do draw power. Once you get to the surface, unless you have some sort of time constraint it doesn't matter how long Val is down there recharging batteries and transmitting science. Then, ascend to orbit :)

All my Jool landers do have at least one RTG stashed somewhere, for this reason. The mining shuttle has six large fuel cell banks as well, and the carrier has a couple of fission reactors ( a mod) to provide power for the life support system (also a mod). I remember doing a calculation at one point for how many Gigantors I'd need if I was going to do it all on solar--the ship would have ended up looking more like a man o' war in full sail :) 

Refueling the Laythe Plane

An autonomous refueling vehicle is launched to Astarael III to refill the drained tanks of the Laythe spaceplane.

xOODA1n.jpg

Spoiler

C9oN9jY.jpg

bNhO0JQ.jpg

Liftoff is successful.

X3RH9H0.jpg

DikFYeU.jpg

Oz0ABP2.jpg

FSV7YaY.jpg

f6bhIbp.jpg

kPrXt2H.jpg

kkFUSQv.jpg

72TtAa9.jpg

Booster cutoff and separation.

mI0zxPz.jpg

FqMRqig.jpg

r3WoQqQ.jpg

Main engine cutoff as 80km apoapsis is reached.

tLO5yBK.jpg

imOvsft.jpg

u8X0iHZ.jpg

Fairing separation. The red tank is the propellant for the refueler, whilst the tanks above contain the fuel that is to be transferred to the Laythe plane.

Ue3KqZw.jpg

lwflSww.jpg

Ed0nQVZ.jpg

Circularizing. The circularization burn will be started by the launch vehicle and completed by the refueler spacecraft.

nWUjauW.jpg

nzHCbhY.jpg

First stage cutoff and separation.

Q6BdKG1.jpg

Spacecraft engine ignition.

4sZnfVe.jpg

tVlGcTB.jpg

Circularization complete.

A rendezvous with Astarael III is plotted, and the relevant maneuvers are executed.

01jtRHT.jpg

VkXwgMv.jpg

oYV0Jsc.jpg

Bk0KyFd.jpg

HNTHz5D.jpg

eNRkHBx.jpg

E9YVvzj.jpg

Approaching Astarael III.

Wd0CWeH.jpg

sUoAzms.jpg

rSddHCv.jpg

Astarael III rotates to an optimal position for the docking maneuver.

NeukUG2.jpg

NeukUG2.jpg

iF5mEYF.jpg

Shutting down the main engine.

eUWQaqu.jpg

NPr4qAl.jpg

GCuurvT.jpg

rWI8ZUY.jpg

zZ3SrQA.jpg

Ky48KRP.jpg

W2eaGeE.jpg

Docking is successful.

QHlTh18.jpg

Preparing for fuel transfer.

BD0CQ2Q.jpg

0m14OCE.jpg

ASGcvxw.jpg

mz2AnlX.jpg

The Laythe plane's fuel tanks are fully refueled.

a67HnrU.jpg

Undocking the refueler.

dkpdT99.jpg

De-orbiting.

lDfAik2.jpg

D62es7H.jpg

8ig5tIt.jpg

Astarael III with the Laythe plane now fully fueled.

@Kuzzter My Laythe plane can fly without the extra solar panels. I tested it without them on Kerbin, and it can reach orbit exclusively on battery power. And you're right about it not needing power for the control surfaces. The static solar panels on the Laythe plane are mainly so that the power drains slightly slower than usual on descent. They're not technically necessary, they're just an extra redundant system. They also mean that the plane will still have some way of generating power if I make a mistake and damage the extendable solar panels.

Edited by eloquentJane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.