Anyone playing with windows 7 and preferably multi-monitor setup?

Kotagi

I am looking to test a program called SoftTH which allow you to set bezel adjustment for multi- monitor setup. I am building a sim pit and I have 4+ inch bezels that I really would love to compensate for. There is a program that does this called SoftTH but it doesnt work with windows 10. I updated all the computers in my house and so did everyone I know apparently..So I cant find a windows 7 computer to test this on and I dont want to set up a dual-boot and buy a copy of windows until I know it works. On 10, the game crashes about 5 seconds after starting it. This is due to it being compiled for windows 7 I believe. Thats why I would like to test this. Also this is a pretty awesome program if it does work. Im sure at least a few people would be happy for a working multi-monitor setup tool. Anyone willing to test this let me know. 

Steps to test: BACK UP GAME FIRST

-Have Windows 7(Multi-Monitor setup preferred but not required)

-Figure out which version of KSP you use(either 32-bit or 64-bit)

-Download the appropriate version on http://www.softth.net/

32 and 64 bit versions I would stick with. Dont use dx9(86)

DX9 v2.08 alpha

DX9 v2.08 alpha 64 bit

-Drag d3d9.dll into game directory(NOT GAMEDATA) folder

-Run Program, It should ask you if you want to create a config for your monitor setup. 

-Say yes to making config

-Let your game load(tThis is where my game crashes. Dont worry if it does, removing the file is all you have to do to revert back)

-If your game loads than it worked and my sim pit just got alot better. please post your results with your windows version, # of screens, and if it passed or failed. 

Thank you!

Edited by Kotagi

From all the steps you outline; you sound pretty tech savvy, so you've probably already tried this. Have you run KSP (or the program) in windows compatibility mode for Win7? It just might make it work. Failing that, my office has three screens and 7 so I can test tomorrow if no one else does. I've got KSP on a flashdrive :P

34 minutes ago, hikoriyami said:

From all the steps you outline; you sound pretty tech savvy, so you've probably already tried this. Have you run KSP (or the program) in windows compatibility mode for Win7? It just might make it work. Failing that, my office has three screens and 7 so I can test tomorrow if no one else does. I've got KSP on a flashdrive :P

wouldnt copying another ksp to a different computer be illegal?

I think you could answer yes or no to that question based on the wording in the eula...

edit: Eula is here https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/en/?page_id=39

looks perfectly legal, section 2 is a standard single user multi computer license. (but that's only from the Eula's perspective, as for running it on a work computer, even from a flash drive...well, that's between the person and the business. some businesses are touchy about such things)

Edited by jhousen
added information

I might be wrong, but if you payed for your WinX licence you might be entitled for a free downgrade to Win7, since it is still under support. 

I might be wrong, but you know, you are a customer so it might be worth to bother MS help desk.

Oh I don't copy KSP Around on a bunch of computers I just HAVE a copy on a flash drive that I use personally. It's how I update textures and stuff on the go. And I'm pretty sure the college doesn't care Shouldn't be a legal issue.

I know you can downgrade BACK to windows 7 if you started with it, I don't know if you can get a free downgrade though.

if you're a student; most college bookstores offer heavily discounted OS. If you can't find it online call your schools tech line. The college I work at has it for 9.95

Edited by hikoriyami

While purchasing a copy of 7 you were entitled to a free downgrade to XP or any other MS system still under support. So, I suppose that if they are still a "normal" company and not an online store they should at least give you an answer. Business always find a way.

EDIT - moreover ppl working at the correct helpdesk can generate a new working license number with a single click.

Edited by Signo

I can't do this now, but if you're willing to wait for a bit (month? two?) I can try.

Also, @Signo- Microsoft has been pushing Wind10 for a long time now as the standard across all platforms. I doubt they'll allow you to downgrade if you purchased Win10 to Win7 (if they do, let me know, I'll downgrade ASAP), but I know that they allow downgrades within 30 days of a "Free upgrade" from Win7 to Win10.

Edited by Dman979

On a side note, I run W7 and have 2 monitors, W7 does not appear to like this very much as it is random chance (yes I have tried most everything to get it to "stick") whether or not it will recognise both monitors on startup, I sometimes have to turn off-and-on several times before I get both monitors up. When it does, it works fine.

Also W7 can no longer be purchased (not even just the serial code) directly from Microsoft and update support will end this year apparently.

Personally I will be moving to W10 asap purely for hardware-support reasons - relatively new computer has fairly up-to-date parts and is already showing signs of not playing well with W7 and I have had to retire some hardware for this reason :( 

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/microsoft-windows-7-ultimate-product-key-for-32-or-64-bit-digital-delivery/337911708?goog_pla=1&gpid=177431040781&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o5&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJrxnpAMhp3wNea5mLug4rtpSNYmDM7niDgxxMPXWPEp0aAvPr8P8HAQ

You can buy windows 7 a bunch of places still. I have no plans on abandoning windows 10, I just need to know if this works. I can create a dual boot if it does. @p1t1o can you try SoftTH with kerbal for me please. It sounds like you have the right setup

34 minutes ago, Kotagi said:

http://m.bonanza.com/listings/microsoft-windows-7-ultimate-product-key-for-32-or-64-bit-digital-delivery/337911708?goog_pla=1&gpid=177431040781&keyword=&goog_pla=1&pos=1o5&ad_type=pla&gclid=Cj0KEQiAhs3DBRDmu-rVkuif0N8BEiQAWuUJrxnpAMhp3wNea5mLug4rtpSNYmDM7niDgxxMPXWPEp0aAvPr8P8HAQ

You can buy windows 7 a bunch of places still. I have no plans on abandoning windows 10, I just need to know if this works. I can create a dual boot if it does. @p1t1o can you try SoftTH with kerbal for me please. It sounds like you have the right setup

Ah sorry buddy, I dont have KSP installed at the mo.

Totally off-topic but I just realized we both have earthrise as are picture, confused me for a minute. 
Is this supposed to go in the Gamedata folder? Ksp doesn't even load it when I do that. I'm trying to find out if that's indeed where it should go.
No matter where I put this it won't load in KSP. KSP loads normally, but I see no config file generated. ReDownloaded DX9 and same problem persists.

I'll be in my office till 10PM central. Screenshot of related log is here:
PXYzWyp.png

I don't think this is going to work for you because it is so outdated. 

ALTERNATIVELY: (not for the non tech savy)

Run KSP and disable fullscreen
Close KSP
Open the Settings.cfg in the root KSP directory (Download Notepad++ if you don't have it, makes it WAY easier)
Find the lines  "SCREEN_RESOLUTION_WIDTH = 1280" and "SCREEN_RESOLUTION_HEIGHT = 1024" and edit to your wanted resolutions.
Save the file
Run KSP and position the window where you want it.
Close KSP
Create a KSP shortcut
Open the properties of the shortcut with a right click
add  -popupwindow after "" in the Target line with a space in between it
Run KSP from the shortcut windowless over multiple monitors

If bezels or adjustments are necessary, make adjustments to the desktop instead of the game 

Edited by hikoriyami

8 hours ago, hikoriyami said:

Totally off-topic but I just realized we both have earthrise as are picture, confused me for a minute. 
Is this supposed to go in the Gamedata folder? Ksp doesn't even load it when I do that. I'm trying to find out if that's indeed where it should go.
No matter where I put this it won't load in KSP. KSP loads normally, but I see no config file generated.

You put the file in the game directory that contains the ksp.exe or ksp_64.exe depending on which one you use. Let me know if this helps.. Sorry I didnt catch you before you left..

Edited by Kotagi

What do you mean by make adjustments to the desktop?

That's weird it should at least make the config either way

Do you run 32 or 64 bit ksp? Are you using the appropriate version of SoftTH?

I realize now my instructions said game data folder, it is actually the game directory folder, sorry. I changed them to reflect this

The fact that it isn't asking about making a config means that it's not installed right. It should ask about making the config as soon as you launch ksp. The d3d9.dll should go into your kerbal space program folder, the same folder you run ksp.exe or ksp_64.exe out of. The main directory

It only asks if it doesn't have one, so it will only do this the first time you load, then you should have a SoftTH config inside your main game directory

I run 64 on a 64 machine and used softTH 64 bit. After no luck with that I read through their documentation, no luck there either. I then decided to try running their GUI to see if that worked, and my antivirus flagged it. At that point I decided I was done playing with it.

What I mean by above is that there are programs (like display fusion) which can bezel the screen and then you just launch KSP in a borderless window and it'll be bezeled. This avoids the issue of having to find a way to bezel KSP. Only I'm not sure KSP will recognize that the screens are bezeled, or just try and print a normal picture over three monitors, causing distortion.

it sounds like this might be a limiting factor in your build, but I would definitely be researching different options. Once something I'm using gets flagged as a virus I abandon it.

Edited by hikoriyami

9 hours ago, hikoriyami said:

I run 64 on a 64 machine and used softTH 64 bit. After no luck with that I read through their documentation, no luck there either. I then decided to try running their GUI to see if that worked, and my antivirus flagged it. At that point I decided I was done playing with it.

What I mean by above is that there are programs (like display fusion) which can bezel the screen and then you just launch KSP in a borderless window and it'll be bezeled. This avoids the issue of having to find a way to bezel KSP. Only I'm not sure KSP will recognize that the screens are bezeled, or just try and print a normal picture over three monitors, causing distortion.

it sounds like this might be a limiting factor in your build, but I would definitely be researching different options. Once something I'm using gets flagged as a virus I abandon it.

Thats weird but I totally understand, thanks for trying

Well I figured out how to add space for the bezel without third party software. I have 3 screens on top and 2 on bottom so I used a chain method with just the regular multi-monitor setup windows comes with. It seems the only rules are that the screen has to be touching another screen. So I used my bottom screens as links. It worked perfect. Here is a video of the final product. Thank you for trying to test it. 

https://vid.me/mH8D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.