1.3 Speculation?

daniel l.

1 minute ago, Corw said:

Infinite number of combinations does not mean any of them are remotely fun. My current gripe with the game is that it it obvious I'm chasing a dice roll, not a space program.

Chasing a needle in a haystack can be an interesting challenge though. Really interesting places that are hard to find, but reward the effort once found.

NMS's worst sin was that there was no needle. Just endless haystack.

One of my hopes is the further focus on Kerbals in general. After all. They are practically no more valuable ingame then Fuel! I personally think @SQUAD Needs to incorporate a The Sims like system where you can observe and control to some extent the lives of your Kerbals for example. They will move about between crew modules within the craft provided the player does not bar them from leaving their post. They will speak using speech bubbles and text messages in a form of Kerbal Social Media which the player can observe. They will age and their mental health and moods will vary. If Male and Female Kerbals are both aboard the craft then relationships may form (This would not be in any way graphic. or misogynistic towards either gender.) Meaning that provided there is enough room onboard and such things are allowed. Infant Kerbals will be born and raised. On long missions they could replace their predecessors in the same duties. There will also be a form of onboard opinions. Meaning that the crew will make decisions on their own. And while it is the players choice to make them work. The mood of the Kerbals will vary based on the decision. Say you are on a mission to Eeloo using a rather inefficient trajectory. You Kerbals might become distraught because the arrival date is beyond their lifespan and might suggest an alternative course. (Meaning you essentially receive a mini contract while in space.) If you do as the crew asks then they will become happier and risks may be avoided. If you refuse or fail they may become angry, Sometimes to the point of rioting. If the crew riots then the player will temporarily lose control of the vessel while various parts may become damaged thus reducing their functionality or destroying them entirely, A contingency can be provided for by also bringing a probe core along. But that can be sabotaged if you have a high level engineer aboard.

All in all that is my suggestion. I doubt this will be seen in 1.3 but it would certainly be awesome and add new depth to a game that honestly is become stale.

Spoiler

I mean. Seriously, how many more spaceplane parts do we need? Cant we just get back to the exciting old days of development when there was always an awesome new set of features over the horizon? Even more asteroid moons would significantly improve things. Or how about volumetric clouds? Or rings filled with actual boulders? (Would not be too hard to do. Just procedurally generate the rings based on a random seed. Starting from a bitmap image to show the rings at a distance. Then low poly models to represent individual ring particles from a distance. Before finally fading into localspace.

I, for one, welcome our new spaceplane part overlords.

I feel that the game is supposed to be about the spacecraft and missions, not necessarily the kerbals. I really like the game as it is, with a few tweaks.

Advanced Engineer mode - dV readouts and TWR incorporated into the "engineer review" section

Clouds/Atmo - it would be really cool. I might go as far as to add weather, in some form. Just a simple wind vector field map, plus randomized rainstorms or something would add a lot of atmosphere. (literally). I don't know how practical it would be, as I've never seen a mod do it, though.

Fix a few holes in parts. For example, the small 30/60/90 wing doesn't have a mirror like the larger 30/60/90 does, no 2.5m LF only tanks, etc.

Add Contracts to Sandbox mode. Maybe just exclusively T3 ones, and have it be purely optional.

8 minutes ago, Servo said:

I, for one, welcome our new spaceplane part overlords.

I feel that the game is supposed to be about the spacecraft and missions, not necessarily the kerbals. I really like the game as it is, with a few tweaks.

:o *Feels Betrayed* I cant really see spaceplanes being very fun. Kerbin is as dull as a dirt lawn. The KSP universe needs more development.

9 hours ago, daniel l. said:

:o *Feels Betrayed* I cant really see spaceplanes being very fun. Kerbin is as dull as a dirt lawn. The KSP universe needs more development.

I'm not arguing against adding more depth to the planets (Keebin included), but from my point of view, more spaceplane parts = more airplane parts. 

30 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

= More airplanes = Less spaceships = microsoft flight simulator with little green men :P

More airplane parts doesn't really mean fewer rockets, just more airplanes. The parts list isn't telling you what to build. Also, I'm not asking for 100 new space plane parts, just a triangular wing that root attaches on the short end.

I don't know, guys... I feel... I feel... happy? Yes... yes! That's what this is. Happy. Like the game is everything I want it to be. It's wonderfully stable, wheels are fixed, joints are fixed... I've never felt this way before, but I think that this is the best it's ever been, and the best it'll ever need to be. I may never update again. :)

14 hours ago, MitchS said:

I don't know, guys... I feel... I feel... happy? Yes... yes! That's what this is. Happy. Like the game is everything I want it to be. It's wonderfully stable, wheels are fixed, joints are fixed... I've never felt this way before, but I think that this is the best it's ever been, and the best it'll ever need to be. I may never update again. :)

Agreed, stock KSP is very close to becoming the ideal version of itself.

Simon Hibbs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.