That Moment When you realize....

BoneHacker

I don't remember exactly what the timing difference was between the two probes, but I know that the relay was launched first. I think the scanner might have just had an OKTO on it, hence it's inability to re-orient itself for the capture burn.

At any rate it ended up drifting close enough to the relay to re-establish contact halfway through its course, so I made some adjustments to its orbit so that it wouldn't pull so far ahead of said relay and was able to get it into orbit around Duna.

Just now, Whisky Tango Foxtrot said:

I don't remember exactly what the timing difference was between the two probes, but I know that the relay was launched first. I think the scanner might have just had an OKTO on it, hence it's inability to re-orient itself for the capture burn.

At any rate it ended up drifting close enough to the relay to re-establish contact halfway through its course, so I made some adjustments to its orbit so that it wouldn't pull so far ahead of said relay and was able to get it into orbit around Duna.

Yay mission salvaged. Could you send me some screenshots their trajectories if you have them?

That moment you realize the expensive nuke-powered transfer stage you carefully lobbed into orbit and docked to your equally-expensive nuke-powered mining/refinery craft in preparation for the upcoming Duna transfer window to send to Ike ... doesn't have radiators, because the last time you used this kind of design was back in 0.26 and we didn't have to worry about such things.

upiFqVd.png

Th

Just now, LameLefty said:

That moment you realize the expensive nuke-powered transfer stage you carefully lobbed into orbit and docked to your equally-expensive nuke-powered mining/refinery craft in preparation for the upcoming Duna transfer window to send to Ike ... doesn't have radiators, because the last time you used this kind of design was back in 0.26 and we didn't have to worry about such things.

upiFqVd.png

The large solar panels have radiators on them so you should be good.

1 minute ago, JacobJHC said:

The large solar panels have radiators on them so you should be good.

I sure hope so! I haven't realty paid any attention to radiators in the game since they were implemented - I never got far enough along in Career games after about 0.90  to unlock nukes, so I don't yet have a good grasp of stuff like: 1) how big a radiator is needed for a particular item; 2) how close do you need to put the radiator on the heat-producing item or does that even matter? Etc.

Thank you everyone for your stories and in return, knowledge and things to remember/not do. Didn't realize it was going to be this active. I only bought the game this winter Steam sale and have put far more hours then I expected. Constantly reverting my launches.

Slowly getting better. But not sure how to get a maximum Delta V's. I'm guessing I will have to build some sort of fueling station around Kerbin, And another around Duna for a return trip. THIS GAME IS SO AWESOME! Lol. But Seriously thank you all for the stories and input and amount of activity.

Edit: I know I promised to put Bill in orbit around the sun as a few early posts mentioned you left him behind for Bob or Jeb. But he has become my chief of engineering. Maybe in the future, i'll put him out there as a self rescue mission.

Thank you!

Edited by BoneHacker

21 hours ago, LameLefty said:

upiFqVd.png

get KIS and KAS pronto and send an engineer up to attach some. 

10 hours ago, Mahnarch said:

When you spend an hour and a half rendezvousing in LKE and your ships won't dock - BECAUSE ONE IS A REGULAR DOCK AND ONE IS A JR!!

I tell you what, man; I got really good at rendezvousing that way.

Does it work? Lol I havent tried docking the 2 together.

On 2017-01-09 at 5:42 PM, LameLefty said:

upiFqVd.png

Curiously enough, I havent had any of my LV-N's overheat. Does it actually happen? And is it because you are in an atmosphere? I only use it for 5-20 minute burns. Haha

7 hours ago, BoneHacker said:

Does it work? Lol I havent tried docking the 2 together.

It does not.

A JR will fit inside the regular clamp-o-tron like a... well, like a smaller thing does with bigger things, I guess.

That's what took me so long [bump, bump, back up... bump!] to figure it out. The flanges are supposed to meet. Not cup.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.