[1.2.x] Grand Prix v1.0 (1/7/17)

SuicidalInsanity

Grand Prix 1.0

J0bCpSm.png

Grand Prix adds a selection of race track themed KerbalKonstructs Statics to KSP that KK users can use to construct custom courses and racetracks., Also included are a number of premade circuits for immediate racing.
va2sD0F.png

At present, Grand Prix contains:

• 6 different track curves
  • 4 different banked curves
  • 4 different lengths of straight track
  • Y and T intersections
  • Left and Right bent track
  • A track jump
  • A track to ground endpiece
  • A sloped track section
  • 80m loop
  • Grandstand, and finish line statics
  • track spawnpoint for easy track access via VAB/SPH

Track sections are 24m wide, and lengths are in multiples of 24m. Grandstand, finish line, and spawnpoint statics share the same centerpoint as straight track sections, allowing copy-paste of Static coordinates for easy alignment.

Recommended speed for the loop is 50m/s. Vehicles with some form of down force are also recommended.

Also included are six premade circuits of varying difficulty: Tracks can be found in the 'Others' category in the KK lauchpad selection menu in the VAB/SPH

3ecsvUc.png

Monolith Speedway: This is a short, straightforward oval track, gentle and banked curves. lap length 3.9km.

o8fTVoM.png

Rockomax Autodrome: Slightly more complex variation on the standard oval, gentle and banked curves. Lap length: 4.6km.

inkvOio.png

Kerlington Circuit: Two circuits for the price of one. Lap length (full course) 6.7km.

VC91QXF.png

RoveMax Proving Ground: Intermediate circuit, watch out for tight curves and an elevation change. Lap length: 5km.

z8mguu0.png

K.W.R.S. International. A intermediate to advanced circuit notable for its length. Watch out for sudden elevation changes. lap length: 11km.

Bpt4X78.png?1

Lightyear Motorplex: An advanced circuit with multiple configuration options. Some elevation changes, lots of sharp curves. main straight doubles as a drag strip. lap length: varies

This pack requires KerbalKonstructs to function.

Download form SpaceDock or GitHub.

LICENSE
===================================================================================================================
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/legalcode).

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

Hi  great mod  and one likely to become a permanent addition to my gamedata folder

I don't know if anyone has used this in combination with the Races mod to enable timing of laps split times  etc, for anybody who fancies trying here's a set of gates for the Monolith Raceway and  Rovermax Proving Ground . i would have done them all but I'm having a spot of trouble with KK and needed to temporarily remove GrandPrix as part of the fault finding.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph44kk7ycn02ldc/RaceTracks.zip?dl=0

Just extract the folder and place in GameData but not in the actual Races folder, for this to work the install path needs to be Gamedata/Racetracks/theTracks

gMfBDoB.png

@mrmcp1: I have a number of ideas for dirt track bits, so Grand Prix is almost certainly going to get a dirt track part lineup to complement the road parts at some point in the probably near future.

@Spannermonkey(smce): I hope it's not an issue with a Grand Prix static; if it is let me know so I can get it fixed.
Also, Races! integration, nice!

@ValynEritai: Sure. Assuming the Add to CKAN checkbox works the way I think it does on SpaceDock, it should be up on CKAN now.

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

I'm glad someone has taken the reins to the race track scene of KSP, back when I made FASTCORP roads and bridges it was just a small scene starting out. Now that I'm winding down with modding, I'm happy my ideas live on, in a way. :)   

I also like the trackmania inspired look of these parts, trackmania is the best 

Edited by fast_de_la_speed

It's really fun to drive but the track feels too small. A good doubling in width would probably be good. I'm using small jet-wheel hybrid rovers if it matters

On 1/9/2017 at 9:12 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

gMfBDoB.png

What mod(s) comprise that rover? I'm mainly interested in the wheels

Edited by Fireheart318

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

What mod(s) comprise that rover? I'm mainly interested in the wheels

Hi  everything that's in the image that isn't stock     are parts I've made. ( so everything apart from the intakes, fuel tanks and junos)  The wheels in particular i developed for the Dakar Kerbin challenge, so have already had a pretty tough  test and imo , come through with flying colors, They come in several variations for different usages, from jet assist (wider heavier) to pure EC low drag versions ( lighter narrower)  and two distinct height options . While using a stock cfg they do benefit from some hierarchy and performance enhancements that stock wheels lack ( personal opinion of course)

As yet non of it is released although some parts are out on test, I don't have any plans to release any of the parts, as I already have my hands full just managing the half dozen published mods I own or maintain .  While i can quite happily turn out new stuff all the time, and do, like many mod makers I make ten times more than ever get released.   If you're interested I'd could pm you a test copy. ( test also includes a set of fixed M1style wheels which makes them considerably more fun)

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

It's really fun to drive but the track feels too small. A good doubling in width would probably be good. I'm using small jet-wheel hybrid rovers if it matters

Much better with a good set of EC wheels and dumping the jets though, trouble is, stock doesn't really have anything quick enough to properly enjoy the tracks and the torque curve is really less than ideal (again imo :) )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.