What am I doing wrong for this mission?

fGysxQ3.png

This is the result of me trying to match the requirements for this mission

Spoiler

lnx8GIq.png

The heights are pretty much correct. 

The only thing i can Imagine is that its the wrong direction. The thing is though, that the other direction who hit directly into the moon or be thrown out of orbit by the moon.

Edit: Thanks. I was going the wrong way.... I guess the contract actually specifies flying directly into the mun...........

Luckily enough, I had enough fuel to reverse my orbit.

did the contract and am just going to do a less dangerous route since I cant put this one through the atmosphere.

Edited by USB4

44 minutes ago, USB4 said:

The only thing i can Imagine is that its the wrong direction.

It's almost certainly this.  Easy to check:  just look at the AN/DN markers with respect to the target orbit.  Do they say 0 degrees, or 180?  If they say 180, you've got it backwards.  Switch to the other direction and you're all set.

50 minutes ago, USB4 said:

The only thing I can Imagine is that its the wrong direction.  The thing is though, that the other direction who hit directly into the moon or be thrown out of orbit by the moon.

My guess as well... it's the easiest thing to miss with a satellite contract. Although I think you're right, if you do need to reverse the orbit, that satellite isn't going to last long. If you're intent on saving it, I would leave it in place just long enough to fulfill the contract, then re-adjust the orbit either in or out from the Munar orbit.

Yeah, you're orbiting in the wrong direction. See how the contract specified 180 degree inclination? That indicates a retrograde orbit, which means you would have had to launch to the west from the KSC, as opposed to the usual launch to the east. You may also want to re-design your launch vehicle-launching to a retrograde orbit takes something like 200 m/s more than a prograde orbit due to Kerbin's surface angular velocity.

45 minutes ago, Snark said:

It's almost certainly this.  Easy to check:  just look at the AN/DN markers with respect to the target orbit.  Do they say 0 degrees, or 180?  If they say 180, you've got it backwards.  Switch to the other direction and you're all set.

I did figure it out, and the contract did actually want me to fly directly towards the moon as my edit says, but dumb question. Though < I think I know, just to be sure what are the AN/DN markers

9 minutes ago, USB4 said:

what are the AN/DN markers

They're the little bright-green markers that say "AN" and "DN" on them in the map view.  You can see them in the map-view screenshot that you've provided:  AN is below and to the right of Kerbin, DN is above and to the left.

• "AN" = "ascending node"
  • "DN" = "descending node"

These are the points at which the plane of your orbit crosses the plane of the target's orbit.  In KSP, if you mouse over one of these markers, it will show a tooltip that tells you how many degrees your orbit is inclined from the target's.  0 degrees = no inclination, you're perfectly coplanar, which is generally what you want.

14 minutes ago, USB4 said:

I did figure it out, and the contract did actually want me to fly directly towards the moon as my edit says, but dumb question. Though < I think I know, just to be sure what are the AN/DN markers

A "desired orbit" always exists in a plane. Your current orbit is also in a plane, and those two planes intersect. Your orbital plane has a Normal direction as defined by the Right Hand Rule -- and that defines "up" for you. As you go around your orbit, you will go "down" through the desired target orbital plane. That point is your descending node. So, to match the planes at the descending node, you need to burn "up" = normal, to counteract your downward velocity. The angle (in degrees) of the intersection of the two planes is the value shown at the nodes.

Edited by bewing

25 minutes ago, USB4 said:

AN stands for Ascending Node, DN for Descending Node. Both described here , anyway, AN is where your orbit crosses the plane of reference moving from down to up in that reference frame; DN is where the orbit crosses from up to down.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.