Transfering science to a mobile processing lab

Hi,

I have a mobile procession lab orbiting duna with a barometer, thermometer and gravimax attached and have collected the data from these for research by the two scientists stationed there. This worked fine, the data was added to the lab and they are making science.

I then docked a craft that had spent a lot of time (67 experiments worth) collecting science from duna, put a kerbal eva, collected the science from this craft and added it to the mobile lab.

I expected the data count to go up but instead it just added the experiments.

Could someone tell me how I add the data I have collected from Duna to that in the science lab? I'm completely stuck.

Thanks in advance.

It's something like this:

Right click on the MPL (or docked capsule if the experiment is there) and Review Stored data. Hit the yellow flask button to "Process in the Lab". This will turn the experiment into data. 

I'm not one who has a full understanding of the Science Lab mechanic, but I think I had the same issue a while back. If you put science directly into the lab from another vessel you don't get the yellow beaker symbol to process it, is that what is happening? I found that if you add experiments to a command pod that is attached to the lab you could then transfer them to be processed. The whole mobile lab thing is weird and apparently exploitable, I think it needs a serious lookin' at code wise. Hopefully you can get the science out of the lab or have a save from right before the transfer...

5 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I'm not one who has a full understanding of the Science Lab mechanic, but I think I had the same issue a while back. If you put science directly into the lab from another vessel you don't get the yellow beaker symbol to process it, is that what is happening? I found that if you add experiments to a command pod that is attached to the lab you could then transfer them to be processed. The whole mobile lab thing is weird and apparently exploitable, I think it needs a serious lookin' at code wise. Hopefully you can get the science out of the lab or have a save from right before the transfer...

you should be able to follow the steps that @Foxster suggested. You have to make sure that your lab has a scientist in it for the yellow flask to appear. There are two other ways to move experiments around:

1. Use the new Sample Container part - right click on it and choose "collect all"
  2. You can always manually move science around by EVAing a kerbal. move the Kerbal close to the part with the data, right click and grab all the data. Next, move to the part that you want the data in and either right click and move the data or just enter that part using the hatch (if it has one)

• 4 weeks later...

I just transfered a bunch of data from the field on a jet to an MPL at the space center with plenty of relays and perfect kerb net. GOt the experiments, when I hit the yellow beaker to send it to the lab, it did not store the data and also eliminated the experiment. THe experiment was also not repeatable on the originating craft so it looks like it just ate the science outright.

3 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

I just transfered a bunch of data from the field on a jet to an MPL at the space center with plenty of relays and perfect kerb net. GOt the experiments, when I hit the yellow beaker to send it to the lab, it did not store the data and also eliminated the experiment. THe experiment was also not repeatable on the originating craft so it looks like it just ate the science outright.

That's because science experiments from the surface/flying on Kerbin do not get processed into data in a lab on Kerbin. It's designed that way, because otherwise it would be far too easy to get infinite science. It's supposed to be a little bit of a challenge. 

What you can do instead is put an MPL in low orbit. Then go around the surface of Kerbin collecting all the science experiments you want. Then load a rocket up with all those results and put them in the lab in orbit. Still relatively easy. 

Or you can cheat the game a bit and make a MPL that can hover a few meters off the ground (so it's technically flying) and then transfer your experiment results over. 

5 hours ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

That's because science experiments from the surface/flying on Kerbin do not get processed into data in a lab on Kerbin. It's designed that way, because otherwise it would be far too easy to get infinite science. It's supposed to be a little bit of a challenge. 

Well, you can actually get a point or two out of a Kerbin-surface MPL, but it's not worth it, as you say.

What you can do instead is put an MPL in low orbit. Then go around the surface of Kerbin collecting all the science experiments you want. Then load a rocket up with all those results and put them in the lab in orbit.

Easier still is to load the Kerbin ground experiments into the MPL while it's on the pad. Then launch it into orbit. Then process the experiments.

Or you can cheat the game a bit and make a MPL that can hover a few meters off the ground (so it's technically flying) and then transfer your experiment results over. 

Used to work in 1.1, but doesn't work anymore in 1.2. You have to be above the atmosphere now.

On 1/9/2017 at 8:31 AM, LunchIn10Seconds said:

I then docked a craft that had spent a lot of time (67 experiments worth) collecting science from duna

Once you are docked, you don't need to actually transfer the experiments. On your docked craft, if you just Review the Data in whatever science container it's stored in -- you will suddenly get that extra yellow button so you can process it. All you need to do is dock to a craft with an MPL.

On 2/7/2017 at 6:05 AM, FullMetalMachinist said:

If you're using the Automated Science Sampler mod you don't need to hover.

I built an utterly crazy contraption to gather Kerbin science (no science lab involved, though).  The main body was a large but ordinary rover.  On that I mounted 6 square fuel tanks with Thuds on them.  Near the back I also had a pylon sticking up, on it I had three jet engines w/fuel.  It had both a Kerbal in a cockpit and one in a command chair.

To get the land-based science I simply drove there (the Bon Voyage mod will move your rovers around in the background, although it must be used with caution as it only simulates the movement and is capable of putting your rover in an unsafe place.)

Then to get the flying low science I activated the Thuds for a moment--I only went up a meter or so, no time for a human to trigger the science experiments but ASS caught them.  There were no landing provisions but I didn't go high enough to break things when it dropped back down.  The jet engines were for the splashed down science, the rover wheels don't work in water.  Steering was a royal pain, though.  I had no control surfaces and I wasn't moving fast enough for them to work anyway, the only way to steer was to shut down an engine.

That rover went all over Kerbin.  As far as I can tell there's no way to get splashed down at highlands science.  There are a few more that can only be gotten from glitches (splashed down at mountains comes to mind, there were more.)

• 1 month later...

I don't know if my experience could help you, but it seems that the DATA quantity which is possible to store into a Mobile Lab is hard capped. I remember being something like 621/750 and transferred an experiment worth 162 data into the lab, the experiment disappeared but no DATA was stored into the lab (number was still stuck at 621).

Reloaded an earlier save and resolved by using Kerbal Alarm Clock multiple times to transmit when near Science cap in order to consume enough DATA allocation.

Not sure if bug or intended, but be mindful of DATA size of your experiments before transferring them to a lab (at least in my experience)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.