The Call of the Void-Chapter 1-Old Memories.

DMSP

Before I start, guys, I'd like to say I'm really sorry for abandoning my last story. The save loss would have made everything I had worked on in the Beginning of a Space Program useless, and this coupled with a few other things really needed me to take a break. Some stuff has happened in my life, nothing bad, but just chaotic. I'm really sorry I didn't start writing sooner. But no more excuses. Today I start a new story, and I am so glad to because now I know I won't be burnt out on KSP and my saves are being saved every time I play. Thank you guys for waiting I'd first like to thank @Raptor9 for the crafts that he put out for us to use, I'm using them for sure. I'm proud to be writing for you guys again. Cheers to 2017 and a new adventure!

I hope you enjoy.

Table of contents:
Prelude-"Ma..."
Chapter 1-Old Memories.

Prelude-"Ma..."

Today, at 509 Centralized Standard time, terror unlike any other struck us. It struck our people. One Hundred and Eight souls now lie on the desert sands outside Oasis Field. Four aircraft were involved in this act of war, 3 of them being Kolonia civilian flights. Flight 877 of Koruan Airways, Flight 92 of Union International, and Flight 8799 of Koruan Cargo. All three of these aircraft, and one KSA flight, were destroyed by missiles fired by Ratest terrorists. The passengers on these flights are victims of a plot against our nation, our freedom, and we must not let this stand. Today, to protect the country that so many of us call home, the Republic of Kolonia's military has invaded the breakaway states of the Ratest Union and have shut down all ties with Katax Union as well. This cannot last.

Today, we're also mourning the death of Isaline Kerman, a mother of two, a loving wife, and a national hero. She died aboard a KSA aircraft departing from the airport, flying towards our launchpad and her ride to space. She will rest forever in the stars. The KSA is being temporarily shut down after this. We will never let these criminals win! We will win! May SQUAD bless our people, May SQUAD bless the Republic of Kolonia!

Ma... I can't believe it's been 10 years. Remember that day? You took me around the airport, explaining how you were going to fly on a huge rocketship and that you'd bring a star home for me. You took me around Oasis Airport, to where Flight 877 was, and everyone was so kind and friendly... You were their Hero, ma... You were my hero.

BTsJkTi.png

I was sitting in the front of Flight 92, and I watched out the window as Your plane and Flight 877 rolled down the runway, Dad waved with me out the window... And I had my head moving to make sure I could see you. Flight 877 was lifting off as it vanished from my sight, but I could see your plane.

3uTsrtG.png

Our pilots had left the door open, most of the Kerbals in the front row were kids, and looking into the cockpit was heaven for us. So, with everybody but me looking attentively into the cockpit, we began our roll. And I heard them gasp when Flight 877 was hit.

G3tdypN.png

I heard the pilot say "Baby, I'll see you there" and I heard them swearing when it hit the ground.

DXi8QgJ.png

It was chaotic after that, somebody screamed, and I heard the copilot shout 'We need to stop and evacuate, now'.

GbSLfZ4.png

But, as the engines went to reverse, the pilot screamed 'We won't have the time' and jam the throttles forward.

That's when they noticed that your plane had been hit, too...

NLU7Zsh.png

I rammed my head against the glass, and there was your plane, and I could see pieces falling off. I screamed 'Ma! Ma!', and got pushed into my seat as the pilot attempted to clear any other missile launches.

kbgJCf0.png

But they hit us, too...

6Jc8sv1.png

I saw the engine fling off in fire. And then...

tjUKwiA.png

I saw your plane dive into the ground. I screamed. Dad grabbed me. Everything was falling apart, the lights went off, and the other engine shut down. More people screamed as another missile went by but barley missed. I would have never noticed.

I know that a cargo flight coming in was diverted, I had tunnel hearing on what was happening on the radio.

wOLiCi1.png

I heard the pilot saying he'd lost the tail.

FtkEBP9.png

His last words were 'Gears down, Gears down, Oh SQUAD, Tell Jeneta I love her'.

And then I heard the calls. 'Brace, Brace, Brace, Brace. Brace, Brace, Brace, Brace.'

L64lSi7.png

And everything exploded. There was screaming and groaning of metal as the plane came apart.

bNLrlcP.png

The cabin behind us was ripped off.

Sand got into my eyes, I lost feeling in my left hand, it was so awful... I've never told you this, Ma...

GbAJSbO.png

But we skidded to a halt... And there was silence... But soon we clambered out of the ripped back of the plane. I was one of the 17 lucky ones to make it.

I wish you had taken our flight, why had they insisted you took the private jet? I wish that you had been sick, that I had tripped down the airstairs, that anything had happened. Ma, I wish you were here, I love you and I miss you so much.

You never got your dream. I don't know what I would do to have you back, but Ma, if you're looking at me from the Pearly Gates of heaven above, Ma, I'm going to make you proud.

aMEnp5g.png

No matter what happens today, One way or another, I'm coming for you...

Edited by DMSP

3 hours ago, max_creative said:

Well, the images aren't showing up because I'm at school... But who cares! You're back!

*hugs DMSP* 

*hugs back* It's great to be here again!

3 hours ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Awesome start! Congrats on writing again, @DMSP! :cool: 

Also, do you have any downloads for the 3 planes? They look awesome! Thanks :) 

Well thank you for reading.

Look to @Raptor9 for those. They're here, all stock on KerbalX. He's probably the best engineer out there.

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Nice! Love the airfield, the planes, and the rocket too. :)

I can only take credit for that rocket, but thank you very much!

1 hour ago, Kuzzter said:

Many feels, but someone still needs to say it... "good" landing. :) 

Yeah, it was not the best thing to write, but it's the start of a new world for me. And yes, that landing saved at least some Kerbals. Good enough for me!

p.s, it feels amazing to have a comment from one of the best authors in the forum! Some of your comics have inspired me in different ways!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2017 at 8:52 PM, DarkOwl57 said:

ooohhhh Me likey! Can't wait for more!

Well, that's what I am here for! I'd like to thank @Raptor9 and @AdrianK. for their crafts, Raptor's C7 310 and 320 and AdrianK's KSh Ural. Your craft allow for amazing stories. Thank you.

Chapter 1-Old Memories.

"Gear up! We're going to be clearing the mainland and are on a steady ascent at 15 degrees, we'll climb to 2.5 klicks and head outwards over the ocean." Corsy secured his helmet as he listened into the cargo pilot's cockpit, looking over the side of the jet as the runway flew past below the aircraft, all 4 engines running at full power.

Wx41NJx.png

The small aircraft Corsy commanded hung by a single metal pylon, with nothing else holding him to it. Eventually he would need to press the button, he'd need to let go. The experimental prototype was commissioned by the Kolonia Armed Air Force to protect the growing bomber fleet at Kolonia's airbases. It was tiny, made to fit inside the empty cargo bays of bombers, giving it the responsibility of saving the lives of those onboard from enemy fighters.

cp2JlqC.png

"Corsy, prepare for detachment!" The bomber's co-pilot yelled to make sure Corsy could hear over the roaring of the C7 320's engines. "Are you ready?"

Corsy turned the security latch on the crash helmet. "Drop it."

kXKSfj1.png

The second the aircraft separated, jet fuel flooded the engine, and it came to life, the turbojet burning through the small supply Corsy had on board. It was a dangerous task, heading out to sea in a small, untested aircraft, with no survival equipment and liters of fuel surrounding the pilot.

He banked right, the aircraft handling wonderfully, gracefully making a turn and heading away from the Transport. Cheers went up on the radio, and Corsy reported how the little thing headed along, but remained focused on the new program.

L1HA5KW.png

He then hit the aircraft into full power and it rocketed ahead, leaving the C7 320 behind, with the test observers watching as the aircraft over-preformed.

5a7ax55.png

It took 10 minutes for Corsy to realign with the transport, but eventually he brought the aircraft in, almost out of fuel, and got inside the cargo bay.

f5BD9qd.png

The aircraft's cargo door had issues closing, but soon they were heading back to the airfield.

Eeq7s4g.png

nB7aPir.png

Corsy watched the cargo bay close, and then climbed out of the fighter's hatch and made his way towards the transport's cockpit. The Isopod, Corsy named it, rested behind him as he shut the cabin door.

ZIoV80j.png

They had made it. Corsy and the test crew disembarked the aircraft to a small crowd, where immediately Army Air force pilots took command and flew the transport, with The Isopod still hanging inside, to a location they could never know.

Unknown to Corsy, after a decade of construction, the program his mother had dedicated her life to and never saw come to life had just been finished being built from the ground up. Private investors added where the government had not and a state of the art space center had been created, something unlike anything seen before.

With not much cash left and the investors holding off until better launches took place, meaning the only way the new Kolonia Space and Aeronautical society could start doing launches were the construction trucks that had been left behind in the creation of the center.

KMQWd4T.png

The Ural flatbed drove out in the late afternoon, commanded by Jodra and Isake Kerman, both pilots who flew for years before joining the space program. Now they drove Flatbeds carrying supplies around the center.

But today was different.

Isake parked the truck over 1,400 meters from the space center, and Jodra got the control panel out. She activated the rocket's systems one by one, slowly preparing it for the first flight. The command core turned on, connecting to the panel, giving back data and information that would be critical to future flights. Both Kerbals then braced as Jodra flipped the engine ignition switch.

Lzu4VIo.png

Within a second after launch, the miniature rocket was already off course, too heavy to sustain its weight in flight.

nSMJLsl.png

"Brace!" Isake screamed as she saw the rocket dip in front of the truck.

2b7G39N.png

With fuel burning and vapors spreading around across the area, both Kerbals were very happy they had prototype Space Suits on.

iFJ5S2N.png

They couldn't run fast enough.

A week later, the same two on the same truck drove out with new tech, hopefully to do better.

KRdzZsF.png

Jodra once again went through the systems, preparing for another launch. This one was much more dangerous than the last thanks to the first stage's array of 18 solid fuel motors.

ogaS2En.png

They ducked, and with a massive bang all 18 boosters ignited.

F3XxxHf.png

It took less than 10 seconds for the boosters to burn out, but by then the rocket had broken 2 kilometers and was already past Mach 1.

SMWu7jR.png

At 8,722 meters, the engine shut off and the rocket fell back towards Kerbin.

YqjhY83.png

It smashed into the ground, but not before transmitting megabytes of information, and helping with planning trajectories of the future.

r81nEsG.png

Jodra walked away feeling proud. As Isake inspected the truck for damage in the setting sun, Jodra knew her years of work as a pilot had led to something greater, something bigger than just an airline.

The next launch went like the others.

sOnYcC4.png

Except better. Using tech from both missions before, the first altitude breaker rocket rolled down onto the beach and lifted off.

IP9GS73.png

It broke through mach 1, mach 2, passing through kilometers of atmosphere and climbing to heights never seen by aircraft.

8Ivre7Q.png

ZM8Rrse.png

Onward the rocket climbed, its internal fuel supply powering the antenna that sent back pictures of the ocean and land below, the world they all lived on from far above. But the motor died and so did the antenna. Signals stopped. Radar tracked the probe until just over 51 kilometers, where it fell down towards Kerbin's great sea.

enIA6VT.png

Nobody could know what the rocket saw. Although sour of the early loss of contact, it proved a vehicle could actually breach the 50 kilometer mark and survive.

That's when they called the Air Force.

An army C7 310 Tri-Soar descended on final approach to the space center's runway. Onboard were officials from the government and military, pilots and engineers. ZSU-23-4s stood by below the aircraft, ready to shoot down any threat to the plane.

18h2VK2.png

Corsy was unsure where he was going when he had been whisked off onboard the transport from the Kerman Lake test site.

WVWszx1.png

He watched as the coast passed by, and soon the grass surrounding the space center. He had no idea where he was going and was afraid. The Kolonia government could be deadly if it needed to be.

But that never happened. The aircraft touched down softly, 3 engines roaring as they went into Reverse thrust.

me4BaWO.png

The aircraft taxied off in front of what Corsy could see to be a massive hanger. Before the air stairs could arrive, a Kerbal climbed onboard with a LD-64 grenade launcher and called out to Corsy.

w0Tk3Vv.png

Unknown to Corsy, he climbed down to the same tarmac that his mother should have 10 years before.

Many watched as he climbed down the ladder. Gene Kerman watched as a long gone friend looked around. Gene smiled. They could start again. "He's here..."

Edited by DMSP

9 minutes ago, AdrianK. said:

Woah nice dude! Extremely happy to see someone actually play around with my crafts! :D

Well, they're great fun! I hope to see more and thank you for stopping by.

• 3 months later...
On 5/26/2017 at 9:39 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

@DMSP Moar please?

... Please? :) 

On 5/26/2017 at 10:05 PM, Skylon said:

This is good! Moar!

Guys, I'm really sorry it's been so many months. My life has been up and down and I had to put the story on hold without an official reason why. I have massive amounts of work in the next few weeks, but maybe, just maybe once these exams are over I can have a break for once and sit down and write again.

I haven't opened KSP in around 2 months. I'll try my best to get back to writing soon. Thanks for the support.

3 hours ago, DMSP said:

Guys, I'm really sorry it's been so many months. My life has been up and down and I had to put the story on hold without an official reason why. I have massive amounts of work in the next few weeks, but maybe, just maybe once these exams are over I can have a break for once and sit down and write again.

I haven't opened KSP in around 2 months. I'll try my best to get back to writing soon. Thanks for the support.

No problem, take your time. :) 

49 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

No problem, take your time. :) 

Thank you, it means a lot that you're here! I'll be working to release a new chapter within a reasonable amount of time.

If anyone is wondering, I have gotten back to talking screenshots and coming up with the next chapter. Wifi is down, writing this off my phone so the best I can do is upload it by tommorow evening. 

I hope everyone is doing well and everyone can excuse my long absence. 

TO : @DMSP

BEGIN TRANSMISSION

ENCRYPT/DECRYPT CODE 94FGU2K4TIE

WELCOME BACK. WILL NOTIFY DMSP LOCATION TEAM OF DISBANDMENT. MAKE BUZZSAW AEROSPACE AWARE IF NEED ASSISTANCE WITH CRAFT DESIGN. BUZZSAW AEROSPACE HAVE BECOME LEADING EXPERTS IN FIGHTER DESIGN IN THE INTERIM PERIOD. MILITARY DEFENSE OF THE NEW KSC BY BUZZSAW/STATE OF FOLUS JOINT FORCES CAN BE IMPLEMENTED UPON REQUEST. BUZZSAW AEROSPACE/STATE OF FOLUS ARE FRIENDS OF KOLONIA AND AS SUCH WE INTEND TO PROVIDED ANY AND ALL ASSISTANCE NESSECARY FOR THE EXPANSION OF THE PROGRAM.

IN THE INTERIM PERIOD MUCH HAS CHANGED IN THE KR FOLUS (NOW STATE OF FOLUS)

A FAILED COUP WEAKENED THE KR FOLUS GOVERNMENT GREATLY

BUZZSAW AEROSPACE DEFENSE FORCES AIDED THE GOVERNMENT

EVENTUALLY PRESIDENT T'JEYK HANDED POWER TO BUZZSAW AEROSPACE PRESIDENT M.K. DALEMAN

BUZZSAW AEROSPACE NOW GOVERNS FOLUS

FOLUS CAPITAL IS NOW [REDACTED]

CONTACT BAK IF YOU WISH ASSISTANCE FROM FOLUS

WELCOME BACK

END TRANSMISSION

ADDENDUM

I KNOW YOU MUST HAVE MISSED THESE TRANSMISSIONS. WELCOME BACK

END ADDENDUM

Edited by OrbitalBuzzsaw

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.