Launch a kerbal into orbit

What's the challenge here? This is easily one of the most basic, fundamental aspects of the game. You have given an overly vague goal to go for aside from the "achieve orbit" aspect. Are there rewards for doing this in certain ways (such as lowest mission cost, or via SSTO, for examples)? Does this Kerbal have to return?

I have to agree. This isn't so much a challenge as a routine part of space program operations. Unless you mean build some sort of cannon on the surface to launch a Kerbal into orbit, in which case it's impossible, because such a cannon would A: fry the Kerbal from shock heating and B: even if the Kerbal survived only put them on a suborbital trajectory, since the periapsis of the orbit would necessarily be at most at the altitude of the cannon.

1 hour ago, IncongruousGoat said:

... B: even if the Kerbal survived only put them on a suborbital trajectory, since the periapsis of the orbit would necessarily be at most at the altitude of the cannon.

I don't know about a Kerbal as is, but let us assume some kind of non-symmetric aerodynamic shape (say a fin on the backpack) and the ability to control the Kerbal's attitude (mono-propellant). Wouldn't it then be theoretically possible to trade vertical velocity for horizontal velocity (in some possibly weak proportion)? My instincts tell me, that would make it (theoretically) possible to achieve a periapsis strictly higher than the cannon elevation.

So I guess I have two (and a half) questions:

1. Is there, theoretically speaking, a flaw in my above 'logic' / hunch ?
  2. Can a (solo) Kerbal change his or hers trajectory in free atmospheric flight. I imagine the 'thruster' pack should do the trick, but maybe the Kerbal won't be able to leave 'tumble mode' ?
  3. Is the Kerbal shape such that it is possible to get an aerodynamic force (lift / drag) in any other direction than exactly opposite of the movement ?

2 hours ago, RavenpawKSP said:

It's simple: Launch a kerbal into orbit from the ground through any stock means possible.

I wish to see your entry first so i can do better equally...:wink:

And hello to the forums, you are now one of us!

Edited by Mikki
damn typo8D

On 1/10/2017 at 2:06 PM, Rodhern said:

I don't know about a Kerbal as is, but let us assume some kind of non-symmetric aerodynamic shape (say a fin on the backpack) and the ability to control the Kerbal's attitude (mono-propellant). Wouldn't it then be theoretically possible to trade vertical velocity for horizontal velocity (in some possibly weak proportion)? My instincts tell me, that would make it (theoretically) possible to achieve a periapsis strictly higher than the cannon elevation.

So I guess I have two (and a half) questions:

1. Is there, theoretically speaking, a flaw in my above 'logic' / hunch ?
  2. Can a (solo) Kerbal change his or hers trajectory in free atmospheric flight. I imagine the 'thruster' pack should do the trick, but maybe the Kerbal won't be able to leave 'tumble mode' ?
  3. Is the Kerbal shape such that it is possible to get an aerodynamic force (lift / drag) in any other direction than exactly opposite of the movement ?

Sure, you can raise your periapsis above the cannon height... but you're not going to be able to hit orbit because you'll not be able to raise your periapsis above the Karman line. So you still need some propellant to circularize. And, of course, this is discounting issues with shock heating, aerodynamic friction, and acceleration at the cannon end.

I don't think this challenge is possible without the use of the debug menu, just because the Kerbal would fry on the way up. They have very low heat tolerance, something I've learned the hard way building lawnchair landers on Eve. Even if you could get through the atmosphere somehow, the EVA pack can only deliver 500 m/s of delta-V, and only at a TWR of .35 or so. There's no way you're going to launch a (very unaerodynamic) Kerbal onto a trajectory such that that's sufficient for orbital insertion, since such a trajectory would simply spend too long in the dense lower atmosphere. If you were allowed to put them in some sort of aerodynamic shell, say a service bay with a nosecone and some fins, then maybe... but you'd probably have issues with how glitchy EVA physics can be.

I'll second the request for the challenge submitter's entry.

Thank you, @IncongruousGoat, for the detailed explanation.

13 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

... in some sort of aerodynamic shell, say a service bay with a nosecone and some fins, then maybe ...

Heh-heh, turn off heat-effects ('cheat') and use a service bay with nosecone and fins. Sounds fun even if I am not able to myself. It does have kind of a Jules Verne ring to it, I think.

P.S. If you get apoapsis high enough the jet-pack should easily raise the periapsis. Maybe we will see some kind of crazy vertical cannon shot.

On 1/10/2017 at 11:58 AM, RavenpawKSP said:

It's simple: Launch a kerbal into orbit from the ground through any stock means possible.

This is possibly one of the most basic parts of the game, that is pretty much carried out every time a space mission occurs. This is not a legitimate challenge.

On 1/10/2017 at 1:00 PM, RavenpawKSP said:

The challenge is to launch a kerbal on EVA, no spaceship, into orbit around kerbin.

That is absolutely, unquestionably impossible. I recommend that you download/ buy KSP before posting any challenges.